Mega Man Legacy Collection coming to PC, Xbox One, Playstation 4 & Nintendo 3DS

VixyNyan · 31121

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
It has been confirmed, after a long hiatus of no new games for our dear Blue Bomber, that a collection called "Mega Man Legacy Collection" will be showing up in North America and Europe regions on Windows PC (Steam), Xbox One and Playstation 4 sometime this summer and on Nintendo 3DS later this winter. A trailer for this collection has also been posted for viewing.

http://youtu.be/yVfeUq5TmQs

It has been stated that this collection of ported games will be remastered in 1080p with bunch of in-game content and will be sold digitally for $14.99 USD / £11.99 GBP. The collection will be developed by Digital Eclipse Software, the studio that worked on the Sega Genesis Collection in the past.

The collection will consist of the first six Mega Man games from the NES, similar to what Capcom has done before with the Complete Works releases on PS1, as well as the Mega Man Anniversary Collection by Atomic Planet, but without MM7, MM8, Power Battle and Power Fighters.

The collection will also have various game features in it, like Challenge Mode, Leaderboards, Replays, Database and Museum. The Challenge Mode will have a mix of trials and challenges for each game, like example fighting against the robot masters one after another or play through every level with only one life bar. And as such, your performance will be uploaded to online leaderboards and store replays for other player to look at. The Database will allow you to look at enemies and bosses, and also have you practice playing against these bosses without having to play through the whole level first. Museum will have history, high resolution artwork, sketches and other image materials that you can look at from the lore of Mega Man.

Sources:
Capcom-Unity
Polygon
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:59:41 PM by Phi »

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Honestly, not impressed. At all. Seems like a lazy cashgrab. Not to mention the Anniversary collection was basically the same thing except with more actual game and less art we've seen before.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Unfortunately I agree, I mean sure it's nice for the people who don't don't have the games and allows them to get a bundle of games for a cheaper price, but most people already have these games in one format or another.  Leader Boards don't really make people want to spend more money on something they already have and most people can see the art and information on the database with a simple internet search.

I mean the Challenge Mode sounds nice, but it's not enough of a draw for people to buy this in my opinion.  I think the main problem is that they released this too late.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Alas, poor Wii U and Vita.  8D

Granted, at least in the case of the Wii U, there's no shortage of Virtual Console releases. But even so...

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Good thing I never got any of the NES Mega Man games on the 3DS incase I ever consider this.
But considering I can play all the games pixel perfect on my PC already and everything else about this collection is probably superfluous stuff I can find on the internet, it's really hard to care.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Not to mention the Anniversary collection was basically the same thing except with more actual game and less art we've seen before.

https://twitter.com/BalrogGameRoom/status/607932456281513985

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
It almost reminds me of when the Xbone was revealed and Sony made pot shots against their anti game sharing policies.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
8-bit everywhere.

Capcom is really afraid of the X series, huh?

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Nah I think Capcom's problem is that they don't know Einstein's definition of insanity.  They keep trying to do the same thing and expect different results that will never happen.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
8-bit everywhere.

The Classic series is always going to be the face of Mega Man, no matter what really happens. Even the successful Battle Network series lives in its shadow. And when Capcom has a franchise face, they know how to exploit it.

I get the feeling this is some sort of impulse release by Capcom to try and remind people that Mega Man still exists and had good classic games before Mighty No. 9 comes out.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
That reason seems pretty logical.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
I hate to sound pessimistic but "Legacy" is such an understatement for this collection. :\

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Honestly I think a slightly better idea would have be to make a collection of all the first games of each series.  That would make the term Legacy more accurate.  Of course that would be impossible since Capcom can't release Legends 1 due to some copy right issues with the voice actors or something, I don't remember the exact details. 

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Honestly I think a slightly better idea would have be to make a collection of all the first games of each series.  That would make the term Legacy more accurate.  Of course that would be impossible since Capcom can't release Legends 1 due to some copy right issues with the voice actors or something, I don't remember the exact details.
As far as I know, it's not the copyrights involving the voice actors (even though Tiesel's VA is a convicted pedophile). It's because of a specific soda reference on the vending machines and the YAG building in one of the areas are specifically copyrighted. The N64 version removed the material, and the PSP ports changed them as well, but the Playstation Network refuses to allow any alteration of the isos from their original release when it comes to Classics, so they can't censor/alter the content for the PSN release.

If it was VA issues, the Misadventures of Tron Bonne, which is presumably devoid of any such problems thanks to its more contained, minigame structure, wouldn't of been released last month.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Ah okay.  Still that's a really sad reason for such a thing to be honest.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Ah okay.  Still that's a really sad reason for such a thing to be honest.
They probably could still bypass it, really. If they did a backport from the PSP version (revise controls, the PSP has widescreen already so it wouldn't be hard to refigure for modern HDTVs), that'd be one thing, but that'd require more effort than they'd probably want. Or they could probably put an edited ISO in a game collection like this one and bypass the Playstation Classics bullshit, but again, it's Capcom and that's also effort into Inafune's dream series.

I'm sure someone at Capcom wants to get Legends re-released, it's just that everything from Capcom themselves to stuff out of their control probably says 'no' over and over.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
It's not that hard. If Konami [parasitic bomb] out an HD version of MGS: Peace Walker, then Capcom can do it for Legends.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
siiiiiiiiiiiiiigghhhh

I swear, this better be a stopgap for a proper new entry, and not just Capcom refusing to put effort towards anything not SF or RE.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
8-bit everywhere.

Nah, I'd say they're afraid of anything but muh 8-bit.
I get that classic is always going to be top dog, but there ARE other classic series games besides the 8-bit ones. I mean, they do the same [parasitic bomb] with the Megaman rep in Smash bros, MM 1-6 (And at that 4-6 much less than 1-3) with only one thing from 7 and 8 each (Danger Wrap and Tornado Hold custom moves specifically), nothing from MM&B or 9/10, nothing from the series outside of Classic except for the Final Smash and the respective trophies (And of those only X series gets more than just the respective Megaman), nothing from either Zero or ZX at all.

I mean, [tornado fang]. This could've been a must buy, include MM 1-10 (MM8 the Saturn version) + MM&B, Battle & Chase, MM Soccer, maybe one of those JP exclusive games (Rockboard for example) as like a silly bonus (Super Adventure Rockman would be out of the question obviously.)

Tossing it on 3DS was a dumb move especially since you can get 1-6 on there already but the porting job is already done I guess and porting over 7 and 8 without emulation has proved to be too difficult for them before (as in, they hired a company that didn't do a very good job because MM7 lost its ending sequence and MM8 had a bunch of little issues on the AC.)

And you know what? I'll probably still end up buying it like I did that atrocious Pac-Man Museum on PC (Another collection that screams missed potential.)

It's not that hard. If Konami [parasitic bomb] out an HD version of MGS: Peace Walker, then Capcom can do it for Legends.

Yes, but Konami knows MGS is pretty much its only money-maker and Peace Walker was made for the PSP so they probably just wanted more people in the US to be able to play it without a portable Playstation console.

Legends is not nearly the same for Capcom, and that requires effort on their end. We all know how Capcom feels about effort with Megaman right now.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Same for Sega with the Sonic Adventure 2 HD port since they altered the Soap branded shoes adverts from the Dreamcast and GameCube version with a generic Sonic picture and NiGHTS. However from what I've skimmed on the Sonic the Hedgehog wiki the assets are dummied out in the PC version and simple file deletion can bring the Soap adverts back.

I mean, [tornado fang]. This could've been a must buy, include MM 1-10 (MM8 the Saturn version) + MM&B, Battle & Chase, MM Soccer, maybe one of those JP exclusive games (Rockboard for example) as like a silly bonus (Super Adventure Rockman would be out of the question obviously.)
This right here is how it should be done. Although I'd prefer if they include a translated version of the original Japanese Battle & Chase since the other versions cut all of the in-game commentary and voice overs.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Mmyeah, sounds like the quickest way to remind people that Mega Man exists right around the Mighty Number 9 release.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Complaining about this existing is just stupid. Rereleasing old games digitally is standard practice for every company, not just Capcom. It's a convenience if you don't have one of the other versions or don't want to have to swap consoles to play them. $15 for the six games is a bargain; buying all 6 on Virtual Console individually costs twice as much. And they're at least doing something new with them, tiny little features that don't detract from the originals.

Now if this happened a few months ago, I would've been skeptical. What if this turned into a similar situation to Darkstalkers Resurrection, where this is used to "gauge interest" in the property, but if it doesn't meet expectations the future is shelved. But Capcom has already shelled out the money for a new cartoon, so new games are nearly guaranteed. This is being released as a way to wet our whistles for things coming in the future.

Is it an easy option for Capcom? Of course. Is it competing with MN9? Definitely. But that's just business. And it's harmless to the consumer as well. A drop in the bucket if you want it, but if you don't that's fine.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Yeah, re-releases are standard, but games-wise, Capcom's barely done anything of note for MM. It's hard to get excited about yet another compilation that, right now, feels like a slightly gimped MMAC.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
I'm not against this being released; I just find the timing suspect.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
It's not that this is just a typical re-release. It's how lazy it is.