New Gundam Vs. title countdown

HokutoNoBen · 11883

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
on: February 10, 2010, 01:08:42 AM
http://gundam-vs.jp/ac-new/

In about a week from now (and just in time for AOU 2010, no less!), the newest game in the ever popular Gundam vs. series will make an appearance. Arcade release will soon follow.

If I were a betting man, this smells of a possible tie-in with Unicorn, coming later this year. But we shall see...!

I'm merely hoping that whatever it is, PS3 gets a cut of that. That GVG Next faux news still stings...

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:17:52 AM
I'll buy it whatever it is!   8)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 03:22:10 AM
I really wish they would do a Gundam Battle (Chronicles, Royal, Universe) series game on a console. Those were really fun, and just about the best representation of Gundam as a video game in my opinion. A console release would allow for much greater number of enemies, and maybe online play. An online co-op mode would be incredible.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:46:36 AM
Only thing?

Such a game would likely take a minute for them to make. The relatively poorer graphics for the Gundam Battle games on the PSP (as compared to GvG's, at least) are for that reason; you get MUCH more units to play with instead.

I won't say such a thing is impossible, but I'm thinking Bamco is prolly fine keeping the series where it is at the moment. If for no other reason than because it means that they don't necessarily have to think about starting from scratch for the sake of a PS3-level of environment.

Of course, such a thing could also apply to this new Gundam Vs. game too.  8D

But I'm really hoping that, after all this time, maybe they'll finally be willing to move the series to System 357. This is the Namco-made arcade board which is basically PS3 architecture in an arcade cabinet (and Tekken 6 runs on it, as well).

If any time was right to give Gundam vs. the same treatment Tekken's gotten, I would think now would be a good time.  *o*

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 05:57:02 AM
I'm hoping for a PS3 Gundam Vs. game myself.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 07:21:39 AM
I'm hoping for a PS3 Gundam Vs. game myself.

Well, that's basically what I'm implying as well!  8D

Namco System 357 = PS3 hardware in an arcade cab. If the series finally moves there, then a PS3 port would be basically imminent.  *o*

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:26:15 AM
Haha, if that's the case, what suit will you be coming at me with, Ben?  XD

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 07:29:02 AM
If I had it my way?

This would be a Gundam Unicorn type of party. I would love it if, for the first HD generation Gundam vs. game, it was Unicorn that got that honor.  *o*

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 07:42:29 AM
Well I see no reason why it wouldn't be.  The Unicorn is in Gundam vs. Gundam Next Plus, and it's very good!

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 01:56:01 AM
hurr hurr graphics are super important durp durp

Gundam Battle series had fine graphics. Even if they were less than GvG, it really had the diversity of units and gameplay to make up for it in droves. Not only would a console version look better, but allow more on screen at once.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 04:22:54 AM
Gundam Battle series had fine graphics. Even if they were less than GvG, it really had the diversity of units and gameplay to make up for it in droves. Not only would a console version look better, but allow more on screen at once.

Yeah, way to miss the entire point of my post. The way you "quoted" it makes it all the more clear. 8D

So, allow me to try this again.

It takes time and money to make a game engine, and all of the assets to go with it. The very reason that the Gundam Battle series has been able to go to upwards of 300+ units for its latest entrant, is because it's been using the same engine since Gundam Battle Tactics, released in 2005. They've just been doing more to continuously add on to that engine for each progressive sequel released in these last 5 years. 

For all the time that they COULD invest in making a game for the PS3, or even Wii, would it be worth it? Not likely, given how much Gundam Battle has settled in a nice niche as a "portable" franchise, which only works well with the notion of how Japan loves its portables. No Western release planned for the series only does more to cement that notion.

So, it has nothing to do with how "graphics are super important", and I NEVER said anything of the sort in that post you failed at quoting. Dunno how in the hell you gleaned that from my post...

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 05:37:31 AM
So, it has nothing to do with how "graphics are super important", and I NEVER said anything of the sort in that post you failed at quoting. Dunno how in the hell you gleaned that from my post...

I guess I saw a pattern when you started and ended the post with lines heavily steeped in graphics.

No matter which way they go, the game will have to be built from the ground up. Might as well make it the best Gundam game ever, and give it Battle's gameplay with enhancements and expansions. It's obvious it wont be as expansive as Universe, because it will be the first in the engine, but that isnt the point. It would still never the less be insanely awesome, and may lead to sequels with more suits gaining ground on the PSP series.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 12:22:10 AM
I guess I saw a pattern when you started and ended the post with lines heavily steeped in graphics.

No matter which way they go, the game will have to be built from the ground up. Might as well make it the best Gundam game ever, and give it Battle's gameplay with enhancements and expansions. It's obvious it wont be as expansive as Universe, because it will be the first in the engine, but that isnt the point. It would still never the less be insanely awesome, and may lead to sequels with more suits gaining ground on the PSP series.

I guess the only thing? Gundam Battle has more or less done a lot to fall into the "Pokemon role". By this, I mean that it was constructed as a series that was built on portables, built its fanbase around the portable market, which furthermore makes any attempt to try and "buck the trend" a risky business, at that.

So, logically speaking, I don't think Bamco sees any reason to jeopardize the position GB enjoys on the PSP. Maybe I could be wrong, but I don't see it as such.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 01:54:29 AM
now if only they'll start releasing them in the west...

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 02:19:32 AM
I honestly can't see why they don't translate the Gundam vs. Gundam series for over here.  I mean, they do it with Dynasty Warriors: Gundam. 

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 05:03:24 AM
I honestly can't see why they don't translate the Gundam vs. Gundam series for over here.  I mean, they do it with Dynasty Warriors: Gundam. 

Yeah. I honestly think DW Gundam, being a kinda spinoff new style game, would be more of a potential financial risk than say GvG.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 06:14:25 AM

Well, to be fair, they at least "tried" twice before.

The PS2 ports of Federation vs. Zeon and Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam were both released over here, back in the day. Nobody really bought 'em though, so I guess that was all the "reason" Bandai needed to not bother translating any of the other games released in the last few years. Bamco seemingly has not been moved at all in this area yet, either.

Then you factor in the notion that the PSP market is all but kaput over here, and well....  8D

That's why again, I think that the only means that will come from the Gundam vs. series being given a second chance in the West, is if it comes through a) a current-generation console iteration and b) it's marketed correctly, ideally alongside a new series.

Short of that, I don't even think Bamco will even risk the notion of trying the Gundam vs. series over here, much less more people being receptive to it. You're not going to capture many American hearts and minds with PSP releases... 

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 06:19:40 AM
Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam

I own it!  What's funny is how hard the game is to find these days.  XD

Then you factor in the notion that the PSP market is all but kaput over here, and well....  8D

Valid point!

That's why again, I think that the only means that will come from the Gundam vs. series being given a second chance in the West, is if it comes through a) a current-generation console iteration and b) it's marketed correctly, ideally alongside a new series.

Short of that, I don't even think Bamco will even risk the notion of trying the Gundam vs. series over here, much less more people being receptive to it. You're not going to capture many American hearts and minds with PSP releases... 

Oh that's exactly why I'd like a PS3 release for the game, as I feel it could capture some of the Dynasty Warriors market, and perhaps even more given the Arcade's popularity with the series.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 06:58:35 AM
I'd be all for a PS3 GvG styled game. Tallgeese on widescreen? [tornado fang]. Yes.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 12:41:48 PM
This is currently a rumour at present but it seems the next Gundam Versus game, that’s been hinted at on the official site, will be Gundam Unicorn focused. This would mark a return to the series specific approach that the games had prior to the Gundam vs Gundam shift a few years ago. This also means we’ll get to finally see both the Sinanju and Banshee in a game with any luck. In addition to this news, it also appears that the Unicorn Gundam will also make an appearance in Gundam Assault Survive and separately Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus will also receive some “Special Edition” DLC sometime in April. In any case, we’ll know for sure on these by the end of the week.

- http://www.mechadamashii.com/news/news-next-gundam-versus-game-to-be-unicorn-specific/

Well, looks like this is starting to go in the way I predicted it. The countdown expires tomorrow at 12PM EST, in any case.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 08:07:31 PM
Looking forward to it.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 01:31:14 AM
This was extracted from the website...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZHhbCHx81I

"It's name is Gundam EXTREME Vs."  8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 02:01:08 AM
Hmmmmm, not till Autumn either.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 06:07:34 AM

■参戦アニメ
・機動戦士ガンダム ・機動戦士Zガンダム
・機動戦士ガンダムZZ ・機動戦士ガンダム 逆襲のシャア
・機動戦士ガンダムF91 ・機動戦士Vガンダム
・機動武闘伝Gガンダム ・新機動戦記ガンダムW
・機動新世紀ガンダムX ・∀ガンダム
・機動戦士ガンダムSEED ・機動戦士ガンダムSEED DESTINY
・機動戦士ガンダム0080 ポケットの中の戦争
・機動戦士ガンダム0083 STARDUST MEMORY
・機動戦士ガンダム 第08MS小隊
・機動戦士ガンダム00
・機動戦士ガンダムUC(ユニコーン)
・機動戦士クロスボーンガンダム
・機動戦士ガンダム MS IGLOO
他にも追加あり。

■特徴的なシステム、その他
基本的にはいままでと変わらない。8レバー4ボタン、2vs2。
PS3ベースのシステム357基盤。
秋稼働予定、夏ロケテ予定。
極限進化。グラフィックもかなり上がっている。グラフィックは今までのバ
ンダイナムコのガンダム作品の中でもおそらく最高。
細かい要素等の説明は無し。
ムービーの中に型式が掲載されており、それを見ると未発表の機体も把握で
きる。

New Gundam VS game revealed, machine to start in fall 2010.

Created with a PS3-level board so graphics are a lot better. The keyword is "evolution to the limits!"

Series list:
Gundam, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, F91, V, G, W, X, Turn A, Seed, Destiny, 0080, 0083, 08th MS Team, 00, Unicorn, CROSSBONE, IGLOO

There will be more additions.

System: No major changes. Eight-way level, four buttons, 2 vs 2.
PS3 base system 357 board.
To start in fall but location testing will begin in summer.
Graphics to be the best ever by Bandai Namco.
No fine details yet.
Serial numbers can be seen in the movie and so you can figure out what the unrevealed units are.

- http://gemaga.sbcr.jp/2010/02/aou-e320.html

I guess the show is going on now...? :D

Any way, yay for PS3 board confirmation. And CrossBone.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 06:10:39 AM
Crossbone?  [tornado fang]ing. SOLD.