Why do fans hate Fire Emlbem Awakening?

Waifu · 6206

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: January 17, 2016, 07:27:01 AM
I have been hearing a lot of things about Awakening that leads to me ask is: Why do fans hate Awakening? Elitism?

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 11:16:35 AM
Awakening saved the franchise. If you're looking at 4chan or Reddit for the majority opinion, you're way wrong. If it weren't for Awakening we wouldn't be having Fates around the corner, or any releases in the franchise for a long time at best.

It sold around 250,000 copies first week and now has over 2 million at least. I think it's pretty popular suffice to say.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 07:21:09 PM
I guess you are right about that. It seems that people who hated this game are the old school fans and elitists.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 08:09:11 PM
I've been wondering why fans eat pork, myself.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 09:48:16 PM
Some people didn't like it because the game had the easier difficulties added, and that the writing wasn't as strong. The first is easily ignored since you can play it like the older ones, and the second one is people having rose-tinted glasses about the older ones (some weren't that strong in the writing department either).

Still fun, at any rate.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 01:36:49 AM
I've been wondering why fans eat pork, myself.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 11:34:15 PM
I imagine it takes a damn soulless FE fan to hate the game where your avatar can shack up with Tiki. :V

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 04:58:01 AM
I imagine it takes a damn soulless FE fan to hate the game where your avatar can shack up with Tiki. :V

You will never be her Mar-Mar.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 06:42:34 AM
Some people didn't like it because the game had the easier difficulties added, and that the writing wasn't as strong. The first is easily ignored since you can play it like the older ones, and the second one is people having rose-tinted glasses about the older ones (some weren't that strong in the writing department either).

Still fun, at any rate.

The primary reason I see people hate Awakening (and Fates by association) is that it turned the series into 'waifu simulator'. Pairings via Supports aren't exactly new, but it solidified the mechanic and created a whole new generation of FE players that wouldn't shut up about shipping and waifus. And now Fates pretty much has the pokemon-amie, so it seems that's practically a selling point now.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 11:22:34 PM
The primary reason I see people hate Awakening (and Fates by association) is that it turned the series into 'waifu simulator'. Pairings via Supports aren't exactly new, but it solidified the mechanic and created a whole new generation of FE players that wouldn't shut up about shipping and waifus. And now Fates pretty much has the pokemon-amie, so it seems that's practically a selling point now.

I see nothing wrong with Waifu's considering my username.  :P

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 12:22:38 AM
I see nothing wrong with Waifu's considering my username.  :P

It's not so much that they have a problem with waifus, but rather it has no place in the Fire Emblem franchise.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 01:42:00 AM
I see I guess it is the same with Gundam with the lolis

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 07:43:03 PM
It's not so much that they have a problem with waifus, but rather it has no place in the Fire Emblem franchise.
Oh, waifus VERY MUCH had a place in FE long before game mechanics encouraged it: Nobody would shut up about Lyndis before Awakening came out.  (I was a late arrival; started with PoR, so I was drooling over Marcia)

Relationships have been part of the game since the series' creation, which saying something given the lack of conversations in the original/Shadow Dragon.  Lacking proper supports is one of the larger points of what damn near killed the series after Shadow Dragon.

So essentially they hate Awakening because they don't believe FE games should have an Avatar.  Because EVERY OTHER ELEMENT to the waifu discussion is damn well essential to the FE series.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 07:48:57 PM
So essentially they hate Awakening because they don't believe FE games should have an Avatar.  Because EVERY OTHER ELEMENT to the waifu discussion is damn well essential to the FE series.
But who will then master all 4 Elements and bring balance to the world!?

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 07:53:27 PM
While I do think the Waifu hate for Fire Emblem is ridiculous since the Supports have been around since the older games I do agree that the Waifu Amie in Fates is a bit much and really shouldn't have been in the game.  Also the aversion of being too Anime even though it's kind of been that way for a long time too.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 08:13:41 PM
I'll reserve judgement about such things until I play Fates for myself, but if the feature is a passive one (little to no gameplay incentive), then I don't see an issue.  Nerd culture in general needs to get over its obsession with hating everything not specifically tailored to them.

Then again, my playing the game might not happen for a while.  I've been trying not to focus on it too much because of the NEAR IMPOSSIBILITY OF FINDING THE SPECIAL EDITION. O:<

Also the aversion of being too Anime
That's about as much a "fan" argument as if Super Mario fans were claiming that there's too much anti-turtle violence.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 08:46:30 PM
Yeah if it's passive that would probably help reduce some of the outrage to only the really vocal minority that bitches about everything.  I hope that's the case personally. 

But yeah [tornado fang] that aspect of nerd culture, it makes it hard to enjoy games anymore because of that.  It's why I take such a neutral attitude to games and managing my expectations now, all I care about is if I have fun with it.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 08:53:53 PM
Oh, waifus VERY MUCH had a place in FE long before game mechanics encouraged it: Nobody would shut up about Lyndis before Awakening came out.  (I was a late arrival; started with PoR, so I was drooling over Marcia)

Relationships have been part of the game since the series' creation, which saying something given the lack of conversations in the original/Shadow Dragon.  Lacking proper supports is one of the larger points of what damn near killed the series after Shadow Dragon.

No. I meant the whole "Waifu Aime" feature having no place in the franchise. People can ship and like whoever they want, since it's only inevitable.

And some fans have been complaining about the change in artstyle since Awakening.

Fans complain about anything.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 10:42:03 PM
Indeed. It seems that most fans are divided on everything and what is sad is that....I was once one of them.  :(

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 04:36:37 AM
Still not as bad as the less wholesome parts of the Sonic fanbase, but that's for another topic entirely.
The next new controversy with Fire Emblem for a while is probably going to be the translation of Fates since there's claims, rumors and fears of it getting butchered all over, and other elements I won't even get into - both due to spoilers and due to the fact that the topic would head into very unsavory territory if it got brought up.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 07:48:25 AM
Oh, you mean the homosexuality conversion through drugging? I honestly don't know why that was in the game in the first place.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 03:34:10 PM
Yeeeah, there's really no way for that discussion to go well.  But NoA is sure trying, confirming that they are removing the drugging while championing the fact that other gay relationships are still in.

I miss the days when the biggest localization issue anyone was worried about was Tharja's butt.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 09:32:48 PM
Well come on, the curtain made that scene seem even lewder.

The fact that I hate Tharja aside...

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 03:19:06 AM
I miss the days when the biggest localization issue anyone was worried about was Tharja's butt.

Camilla is going to get a curtain too. I guarantee it.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 04:38:05 AM
Worst girls always get curtains.