Official "Let's Play On Wii" Thread

Jericho · 7708

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
on: December 02, 2008, 04:59:55 AM
OK, first off, let's get the small talk out of the way. As many of you may already know, Nintendo recently announced that it would be re-releasing some choice Gamecube generation games as budget titles with notable extras under the title "Let's Play On Wii". These titles are getting said re-release due to the fact that they might not have had the best of sales or spotlight on the Gamecube and would seemingly fit in well with Nintendo's recently acquired expanded audience. Some of the games that have been mentioned to get this treatment are:

• Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Pikmin
  • Pikmin 2
  • Mario Power Tennis
  • Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
  • Chibi Robo

This thread will be used as a one stop information hub on all the details we will receive on the games as well as a place to check fellow RPM member opinions for recommendations. Now then, with that all said, I'd like to introduce the first of the "new yet no so new" titles, namely:

*Picture courtesy of Play-Asia.com.

Re-release date: Dec 11, 2008 (JPN); TBA 2009 (NA/EU)
Developer: Nintendo EAD Tokyo
Publisher: Nintendo
Genre: 2.5D Platformer

Quote from: Wiki Info
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (ドンキーコングジャングルビート, Donkī Kongu Janguru Bīto?) is a Nintendo GameCube video game featuring the gorilla Donkey Kong and played with the DK Bongos. It was released in Japan on December 16, 2004, Europe on February 4, 2005 and in North America on March 2, 2005. It was the first video game to receive an ESRB rating of E10+.[citation needed] The game will be re-released in the Enjoy with Wii collection of revamped Nintendo GameCube titles.[1] It has been reported that the Wii version of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat will have some changes from the original Nintendo GameCube version, including new levels, modifications of old levels, and traditional controls that have the player use the analog stick to move and a button to jump, unlike the Nintendo GameCube version which required the player to beat the bongos to do both.

What's New
  • New Wii Remote + Nunchuk control scheme that replicates that same visceral method of control as the GCN Bongos
  • Wii specific extras such as new levels and content
  • Numerous graphical touchups, 480p & 16:9 Widescreen Mode Support
  • Replaceable Jacket Cover (thanks Tai!)

Gameplay Videos

Jericho Notes
As an avid fan of the platformer, I can't believe that i missed this gem back in the Gamecube heydays. It looks to be everything one could want from the genre, namely tight and awesomely creative controls married perfectly with diverse and intricate level design. All of this is then wrapped up in a fun presentation (because seriously, who doesn't think Hokuto no Donkey Kong boss battles aren't awesome? 8D). Needless to say, I'm kinda stoked for this one and will hold on patiently for news of a US release. For anyone who might be wondering about this game or on the fence even after my brief bit of praise, take this into mind. This game was made by the exact same team responsible for Super Mario Galaxy. If that isn't a pedigree, nothing is. XD

So then, come on, discuss and feel free to leave any comments or questions here.

And before anyone asks why I put so much effort into this thread, boredom is a hell of a thing. -u-'

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 05:06:46 AM
it's okay, at least you did something productive with that boredom x3

I know everyone is jus hoping for a "Let's Play on Wii" Wind Waker with extras and so am I ^^

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 05:07:47 AM
You forgot one of the best parts (look at the bottom)

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 05:10:09 AM
Wait, is that a replaceable jacket cover? Awesome. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:26:29 AM
I'll probably pick up the Prime games again, as I really loved Prime 3's control scheme, plus it'll give me an excuse to replay Prime 1 as well as play Prime 2 for the first time.

Since I never got the Pikmin games either, I'll most likely get those as well.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 05:28:13 AM
Wait, is that a replaceable jacket cover? Awesome. XD
Yeah, something that Konami should learn XD

Where's that gif of Konami's "best sellers" (I forgot the name) cover that I saw at GAF quite a while ago? XD

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 05:31:42 AM
I'll probably pick up the Prime games again, as I really loved Prime 3's control scheme, plus it'll give me an excuse to replay Prime 1 as well as play Prime 2 for the first time.

Since I never got the Pikmin games either, I'll most likely get those as well.

Oh man, you are in for such a treat. Prime 2 is easily the best of the series imo. Getting the Wii Pointer controls and the first experience package is gonna be great. Meanwhile, I'm a consumer whore and since all these titles will have something big and new, I guess I'll be picking up Prime 1+2 and Pikmin 1+2. XD

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 05:35:43 AM
Prime 2 is easily the best of the series imo.

I'm not sure if it's the best one, but it is [tornado fang]ing awesome! The atmosphere is great, my only complain is that the dark world is pretty much a recolor =P Also, multiplayer FTW, I love killing people with the Deathball and getting inside the turrets when my opponent is infront of me 8D Not to mention Light Suit is sexy and needs to return.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 05:41:02 AM
Not a shot at you Tai, but there's something to this writing off of the dark world that really gets to me. The art and design of the whole world is oppressive and abysmal and it conveys the feeling of exploring a harsher than usual terrain more than anything else I've experienced in the Prime series honestly. If I had to summarize what happened there, Retro took a cliche and worked it to the creative pinnacle of excellence.

Also, I think I'm like the only Metroid fan who doesn't care for the Light Suit much. XD

Now, if you said Phazon Suit... *licks lips then gets bricked*

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 05:47:50 AM
Ok, recolor was not the best way to say that I'll admit it.

Not a shot at you Tai, but there's something to this writing off of the dark world that really gets to me. The art and design of the whole world is oppressive and abysmal and it conveys the feeling of exploring a harsher than usual terrain more than anything else I've experienced in the Prime series honestly. If I had to summarize what happened there, Retro took a cliche and worked it to the creative pinnacle of excellence.

Indeed, the Dark World excellently gives you the feeling it was meant to give, fear. Until you get the better suits you'll feel pressured to get from one safe point from another, you're scared of exploring because of the poisonous atmosphere and the dark environment, you don't know what's gonna pop up if you go a certain way, I may not be wording it perfectly, but the Dark World does its job perfectly. Not to mention the Ing are like something out of a nightmare.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 05:54:57 AM
Ok, recolor was not the best way to say that I'll admit it.

Indeed, the Dark World excellently gives you the feeling it was meant to give, fear. Until you get the better suits you'll feel pressured to get from one safe point from another, you're scared of exploring because of the poisonous atmosphere and the dark environment, you don't what's gonna pop up if you go a certain way, I may not word it perfectly, but the Dark World does its job perfectly. Not to mention the Ing are like something out of a nightmare.

All of this is the correct answer. It also reminded me of a funny experience I had when I first played the game.

[spoiler=Since some people might not have played it.]Amorbis was a hell of a fight for me. Half the time I was like "[tornado fang] where is ths damn worm?" and the other half was me running from safe spot to safe spot having a conversation with myself:

"Dammit!"

*is running when Amorbis pops out of the ground nearby*

Stay. Away. From. Me.

*more running and shootling later*

"Oh [tornado fang] this thing shot me out of the safe zone/this thing negated my safe zone!"

*dies*

FFFFFFFFFF. XD[/spoiler]

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 05:56:42 AM
You make me want to replay Prime 2, which I don't know if I truly want, too many unfinished games already and getting the Power Bombs was hell for me XD

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 05:59:38 AM
i'll be the one to object. i didn't think Prime 2 was all THAT great. the Dark World i don't mind so much, though a cliche is a cliche no matter how you slice it. it's a lot of other things. the beams with ammo were a badly implemented idea. backtracking felt more tedious. why the Dark Suit doesn't prevent dark world damage is still beyond me. the Temple Keys were a chore to collect. multiplayer was only fun for a day. and there was a lack of save points in many places. especially Sanctuary Fortress/Ing Hive. i don't blame my friends for never completing the game past that stage, though they are missing out on Quadraxis.

Prime 1 and 3 are definitely better games, but that's not to say i think Prime 2 is terrible. it must have some redeemability, as i've played through it at least 5 times. and i'm looking forward to playing it with the Wii's controls. no dice on Prime 1 though. they'll take out even more sequence breaks than they did in the Player's Choice version.

a redone Wind Waker is a must, too, if not just to get rid of the Triforce quest. and as a preemptive, Ninty, there's no need to mirror the game, or even just Link. if you want waggle for sword swings, fine. that doesn't mean lefties still have to hold the Wiimote in their right hand. as a righty, i'd be just fine with wiggling my right hand to make Link swing his left. it worked in Prime 3, it can work for Zelda.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 06:03:07 AM
Sato, I just read your entire post, and can see your arguments [which are good, the game does have its flaws in places], but now I want to replay Prime 2 again. Just because you mentioned Quadraxis. XD

As for the Dark Suit bit, I always saw it as a means of making you unsteady even as you think you're growing in power. You know "fear to keep one in check". Meanwhile, they need to release more information about the Prime remakes as all this talk has made my 3D Metroid fan go crazy. XD

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 08:39:40 AM
 :O

I never knew Jungle Beat is that good! okay, i'm buying that day one if the NA gets it  :)

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 04:00:10 PM
Echoes is a great game, but exaggerated a bit with light and dark switch. Those portals are placed in the most awkward spots ever. If we were given some kind of Magic Mirror (hey, they stole the concept, might as well steal the item...) then I'd be able to enjoy it more. And the fetch quest wasn't handled quite as well as the first. You eventually have to cross lengthy segments 4 or 5 times just to reach one of 'em...

Wii controls will be great for Prime, though I think I'll end up going back to the GC version because they'll get rid of all sequence-breaking.

If I recall, Jungle Beat was made by the team that made Galaxy, right?

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 10:15:27 PM
I don't think they'd get rid of sequence breaks. They acknowledged the games are known for players abusing powers to skip or do things out of order both in Zero Mission and in Fusion. Hell, there's a secret cutscene only for those who can abuse shinespark.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 10:20:53 PM
They already got rid of sequence-breaking in two or three revised versions of Prime 1, going as far as to place a Bendezium rock in front of the Plasma Beam door. I think it's Retro that hates all the breaking.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 10:37:52 PM
You could sequence break in the Prime games? Cool, always figured it was impossible since movement was so inflexible (still loved the games though).

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 12:23:39 AM
I don't think they'd get rid of sequence breaks. They acknowledged the games are known for players abusing powers to skip or do things out of order both in Zero Mission and in Fusion. Hell, there's a secret cutscene only for those who can abuse shinespark.

there is no sequence breaking at all in Fusion. and most of the breaks in MZM were designed by Nintendo.

You could sequence break in the Prime games? Cool, always figured it was impossible since movement was so inflexible (still loved the games though).

Prime 1 is broken as hell. 2 has some breaks, but not nearly as much as in 1. 3 is the same way, really. read up about these things at www.metroid2002.com

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 09:17:26 PM
Lazy post is lazy. Famitsu reports on the new features of Pikmin & Mario Power Tennis on Wii, courtesy of IGN.

For Pikmin, the new feature mentioned in Famitsu concerns saving. When you save, the game stores day-by-day records of your play. You're free to restart play from the day of your choice.

For Mario Power Tennis, Nintendo has made the game fully Wiimote compatible. You can now swing the Wiimote like a tennis racket to control your swings, performing forehands, backhands, tosses and smashes by swinging the Wiimote as you would a normal racket. For spin shots, you simply change the angle of the Wiimote when swinging. To perform special shots, you press buttons during the swing.

Mario Power Tennis will support play both through the Wiimote on its own and through a Wiimote/Nunchuck combo, the latter presumably allowing you to control your characters on the court.

Famitsu lists Camelot as developer for Mario Power Tennis. It's unclear if the studio is working on the Wii update or if the Famitsu listing is just in reference to the original.

Pikmin hits Japan on December 25. Mario Power Tennis follows on January 15. Both are priced at 3,800 yen.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 09:19:05 PM
restart from the day of your choice huh?  That might be nice ^^

Offline Flok

• Passionate Gamer
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Killsringman
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 05:56:02 PM
I might pick up Chibi Robo this time, as I kind of missed it during the GameCube age.

Flok's favorites:

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 04:27:38 AM
Almost necropost, yay!

Anyways, here's how Mario Tenis controls.

Huge step above Wii Sports' tenis.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 04:57:49 AM
Almost necropost, yay!

Anyways, here's how Mario Tenis controls.

Huge step above Wii Sports' tenis.

Nice, I'm definitely interested.