The Mario Kart Thread

VixyNyan · 86572

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #250 on: September 21, 2011, 08:44:44 PM
Pipes, Piantas throwing your kart forward into either shortcuts or the water, that boot thing, launch stars, skateable koopa shells like in Mario 64... It could even be Mario using the fire flower as a fire propelling way to move the kart forward if you use the item backwards.

Not only that, why not have actual Koopa Troopas walk around the stage and if you run into them, you kick their shells forward like an item? Or hell, have item blocks around too, instead of just items. Imagine drifting close to a row of them could earn you a few coins/items.

Because Koopa Troopa is driving, I believe. They do it with Goombas though, and they'll drop mushrooms if you hit them. I'd love for the Metal Block to be an item just so we could hear the Metallic Mario theme from SM64 again.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #251 on: September 22, 2011, 03:41:03 AM
I just noticed something really bizarre.  Rapid-pausing when Mario hits the item box in the beginning, one of the items is a red "7", as in the logo.

So...what in the crap does that do?  Coin jackpot?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #252 on: September 22, 2011, 04:25:28 AM
Not only that, why not have actual Koopa Troopas walk around the stage and if you run into them, you kick their shells forward like an item?

I've always wanted this feature :<

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #253 on: September 22, 2011, 04:50:22 AM
I just noticed something really bizarre.  Rapid-pausing when Mario hits the item box in the beginning, one of the items is a red "7", as in the logo.

So...what in the crap does that do?  Coin jackpot?

Or maybe a replacement for the Gold Mushroom? But Coin jackpot does make the most sense.

Also, am I the only one who thinks a story mode in this game, or any Mario Kart game, would be interesting? Just a little fun, wacky plotline with a one-on-one race with Bowser at the end (or a really hard 8-player 150cc race?)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #254 on: September 22, 2011, 10:02:19 AM
Or maybe a replacement for the Gold Mushroom? But Coin jackpot does make the most sense.

Also, am I the only one who thinks a story mode in this game, or any Mario Kart game, would be interesting? Just a little fun, wacky plotline with a one-on-one race with Bowser at the end (or a really hard 8-player 150cc race?)

Like Diddy Kong Racing's story mode?

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #255 on: September 22, 2011, 10:16:10 AM

Story, event mode, challenge mode, story quest with field (like in CTR), anything. Just as long as they make the single player mode worth it.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #256 on: September 25, 2011, 10:23:53 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88OsV_NI_rE[/youtube]

So as I've been watching this trailer over and over again, I've been looking at the item box. Some things caught my interest..

-No CLOUD AIDS in sight thus far. Bravo, Nintendo. BRAVO!
-The Blue Shell has no wings. Have they reverted back to the MK64 Spike Shell? Oh man, do I hope so.
-Fire Flower. Fire. Flower. It kinda makes you wonder why this wasn't a weapon long ago.
-No Golden Mushroom.
-Brown Leaf. I'm guessing this is the glider option, but who knows.

Anyway, color me excited.

Late as [tornado fang] but might as well clarify and put out some thoughts:

- Yes, that is the Spiny Shell from MK64 (Primarily)/MK:SC. Get hype. (Whoops, put SMK when I meant MK:SC)
- Fire Flower is gonna be so broken for people who got good with single Green Shells in MK64. 8D
- That 7 is going to either be the most stupidly awesome thing ever or the new Cloud AIDS/Blue Bomba Shell...
- Lakitu as a racer. FUUUUUU
- Remote mine Red Shell/Spiny Shell shenanigans need to come back. They were too good for just Mario Kart: Super Circuit
- I really wish if they could pop in a track editor, but custom karts are cool.
- Speaking of which, [tornado fang] yea Karts only. I wouldn't have minded bikes as much as I did if they didn't provide such a clear practical advantage over karts in most ways once you unlocked some of the better ones. ([tornado fang]ing Baby Luigi + Jet Bubble combo still makes me rage)
- Anyone else miss long racetracks like in MK64?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #257 on: September 25, 2011, 10:38:53 PM
- Lakitu as a racer. FUUUUUU
Who's gonna fish people out now?

- Anyone else miss long racetracks like in MK64?
I do. I hate this "instant track" thing which takes less than two minutes to go through. Huge tracks would be beautiful nowadays, and it's one of the main reasons why there is still no Mario Kart as good as 64.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #258 on: September 25, 2011, 10:49:36 PM
I do. I hate this "instant track" thing which takes less than two minutes to go through. Huge tracks would be beautiful nowadays, and it's one of the main reasons why there is still no Mario Kart as good as 64.

Seriously. I need more Royal Raceways, Wario Stadiums, Toad's Turnpikes (medium sized in MK64, but still longer than) and of course the Rainbow Road. I don't mind the quick fix stuff, but longer raceways always made comebacks that much more hype. Also funnily enough, this might sound silly but that game has an atmosphere that I didn't see in any Mario kart after it. DS came closest. Finally, Super Circuit is underrated as all [tornado fang].

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #259 on: September 25, 2011, 10:50:13 PM
No fishing people out anymore, Flash. There's UNDERWATER SECTIONS now.

Also, long tracks are fun.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #260 on: September 25, 2011, 11:01:49 PM
No fishing people out anymore, Flash. There's UNDERWATER SECTIONS now.

Also, long tracks are fun.
Yeah, but there's probably track limits and people to pull out of lava or bottomless pits, right?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #261 on: September 25, 2011, 11:06:31 PM
Another Lakitu?

There is more than one in the Mushroom Kingdom, after all...

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #262 on: September 25, 2011, 11:21:53 PM
Agreed on the long tracks bit.  I absolutely love MK64's Rainbow road, as it's a HUGE stage and has plenty of those nice straightaways you can cruise through.  Toad's Turnpike needs to return, too.  That stage is pretty wild in mirror mode.

Finally, Super Circuit is underrated as all [tornado fang].

Seriously, it's the best Mario Kart that no one talks about!  Remote mine red shells, huge and varied track selection (Snow Land FTW), and  a solid roster make SC a very nice title.  My only gripe is that I don't care for the coin system all too much (and even then I think you could turn it off).  Also, on the down low SC's Rainbow Road is pretty awesome.  Sure, it's not the magical experience of 64's, but can you really hate a track where the edges are all jumper pads?

Oh, and Fire Flower was a weapon before...sort of.  Mario/Luigi's Double Dash special attack was this, and I loved it.  Pretty much what you get if you could chuck 5 green shells simultaneously.  Wasn't nearly as useful/broken as the Peach/Daisy heart shield, but it was still pretty handy.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #263 on: September 25, 2011, 11:24:12 PM
Tracks also need more shortcuts, more cheap move lanes, more crazy havok areas and more action overall.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #264 on: September 25, 2011, 11:42:19 PM
Well, we do have Wuhu Island which is supposed to be so long that it'll have to be only one lap.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #265 on: September 26, 2011, 12:12:05 AM
Well, we do have Wuhu Island which is supposed to be so long that it'll have to be only one lap.
Hahahaha, that's awesome. Nintendo's saving so much money in assets by just reusing that one island in several games.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #266 on: September 26, 2011, 12:27:16 AM
Tracks also need more shortcuts, more cheap move lanes, more crazy havok areas and more action overall.

Man, you are speaking my language. I can't tell you how long I've wanted to see Mario Kart courses have Sonic R type shortcuts and alternate routes.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #267 on: September 26, 2011, 12:40:38 AM
Man, you are speaking my language. I can't tell you how long I've wanted to see Mario Kart courses have Sonic R type shortcuts and alternate routes.
What I felt that Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing did, was put itself miles above Mario Kart by simply making the drifting manuever fun, introducing tons of cheapo moves and 3-part boosts, and making stuff like red shells (missiles) lock-on based and making people able to join several items into combo moves. I'd like to see variety like that in Mario Kart, but also with the kind of different routes and shortcuts available for different-styled characters, and tons of cheap moves like dropping out of floating tracks onto a lower level, being incredibly difficult to do but really satisfying to pull off.

You know, the FUN stuff in games. I want Mario Kart 7 to make me able to drop Mario Kart 64.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #268 on: September 26, 2011, 01:34:14 AM
I thought I heard the MK7 (heh, just got the 7 addition to the items) is suppose to have one lap SUPER long tracks.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #269 on: September 26, 2011, 01:51:14 AM
I thought I heard the MK7 (heh, just got the 7 addition to the items) is suppose to have one lap SUPER long tracks.

Aw [parasitic bomb], can't wait. :)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #270 on: September 26, 2011, 01:56:42 AM
Seriously. I need more Royal Raceways, Wario Stadiums, Toad's Turnpikes (medium sized in MK64, but still longer than) and of course the Rainbow Road. I don't mind the quick fix stuff, but longer raceways always made comebacks that much more hype. Also funnily enough, this might sound silly but that game has an atmosphere that I didn't see in any Mario kart after it. DS came closest. Finally, Super Circuit is underrated as all [tornado fang].
Oh, how I miss Royal Raceway and Wario Stadium.  I have no damn clue how neither saw the light of day between the 32 retro tracks of DS and Wii.

And I must whole-heartedly agree on atmosphere.  If there is one thing I miss about oldschool Mario Kart, it's that Super and 64 generally felt more high-energy than their successors.  In either game, when you were hit with a shell, you hear a "BOOM!" as if your tail-pipe just exploded, while your kart careens wildly out of control.  Then in Double Dash, we switch to a sound effect something like a pot breaking, and your kart slow-tumbles like a cement mixer, and that's about where we've been left ever since.  What the heck happened?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #271 on: September 26, 2011, 02:32:50 AM
and tons of cheap moves like dropping out of floating tracks onto a lower level, being incredibly difficult to do but really satisfying to pull off.

You just gave me a strong urge to play Crash Team Racing.  Man, the stuff you could do in that game was ridiculous.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline DarkWaltz

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Magic bananas!
    • View Profile
    • DarkWaltz's DeviantArt Page
Reply #272 on: September 26, 2011, 06:14:52 AM
Oh, how I miss Royal Raceway and Wario Stadium.  I have no damn clue how neither saw the light of day between the 32 retro tracks of DS and Wii.

And I must whole-heartedly agree on atmosphere.  If there is one thing I miss about oldschool Mario Kart, it's that Super and 64 generally felt more high-energy than their successors.  In either game, when you were hit with a shell, you hear a "BOOM!" as if your tail-pipe just exploded, while your kart careens wildly out of control.  Then in Double Dash, we switch to a sound effect something like a pot breaking, and your kart slow-tumbles like a cement mixer, and that's about where we've been left ever since.  What the heck happened?

I fully agree with you. I thought a lot of people loved the Royal Raceway, Rainbow Road and Toad's Turnpike (Which was difficult in itself and a nightmare in mirror for me ) in 64 so I don't understand why they never brought them back in the retro tracks for the newer games. Heck, I even liked Yoshi's Valley because you never knew who was leading until someone passes the finish on the final lap and there were so many routes you can go in the track so you can easily change things up. 

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #273 on: September 26, 2011, 06:16:47 AM
For the record, I am still 95% undefeatable on Banshee Boardwalk

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #274 on: September 26, 2011, 06:21:56 AM
Heck, I even liked Yoshi's Valley because you never knew who was leading until someone passes the finish on the final lap and there were so many routes you can go in the track so you can easily change things up. 

The problem with that track is that there literally is only one path worth taking, if they ever make another similar track with more useful alternate paths it'd be like a dream come true.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.