Reply #1176 on: December 10, 2016, 03:30:11 AM
I'm not ashamed of my priorities.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1177 on: December 11, 2016, 05:09:49 AM
Trump is our new president.

Sonic gets the first good game in years.

The game is made by fans from the community and published officially by SEGA.

This is a pretty good year.
in all fairness, none of those have actually Released YET. (including the first one, that's still in pre-production)

Better bet would be to wait for December 2017. Because a few things going right at the end of 2016 don't make up for the rest of 2016 being [parasitic bomb]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1178 on: December 11, 2016, 07:57:07 AM

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1179 on: December 13, 2016, 01:04:26 AM
Anyone watch Sonic Boom?

This [tornado fang]ing show. It's truly the gift that keeps on giving.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1180 on: December 13, 2016, 02:52:14 AM
Wait is that a chris chan reference?  XD

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1181 on: December 13, 2016, 03:47:30 AM
Yep, but it's not what you think.

"Almost done, boss! Just have to finish the arms."

Somehow I thought it'd be more obvious.

[spoiler]Then there's the even more obvious Misery throwback later on[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Oh god they actually mentioned "SonAmy" and adult fanfics in this. How could they.[/spoiler]

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1182 on: December 13, 2016, 04:26:06 AM
Its subtle to be sure but just enough for anyone unfortunate enough to know the incident to pick up on it on just a screen alone. Well played.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1183 on: March 13, 2017, 06:39:05 PM

if they can give the most heavily recycled zone a fresh coat of paint, then I really have full faith in any other returning levels.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1184 on: March 13, 2017, 10:30:41 PM
I'm just happy they faithfully recreated Tail's suicidal stupidity to such a degree he can die twice before respawning.  8D

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1185 on: March 17, 2017, 07:23:58 PM
Flying Battery HYPE

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyXg9kAp4Vc[/yt]

An official look at Sonic Forces gameplay

[yt]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zm0FvEn5CU[/yt]

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1186 on: March 18, 2017, 01:35:52 AM
Pretty hype for both of these honestly.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1187 on: March 18, 2017, 06:01:54 PM
Really looking forward to Sonic Mania. Sonic Forces... not so much. Not a big fan of the currently gameplay style of 3D sonics, to be honest.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1188 on: March 18, 2017, 07:41:36 PM
Ahhhhhh Flying Battery Zone. One of the best Sonic themes. Yeah, Mania looks like fun. Forces could be good if it plays like Colors. Lol, if it has as amazing a soundtrack as Colors, I might play it just for that.

Again, thanks for turning me on to that, fellow PSAers!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #1189 on: March 21, 2017, 05:26:58 AM
Revisiting Flying Battery is mind-blowing levels of nostalgic perfection.

Sonic Forces...looks pretty par-for-the-course for the 3D Sonic game.  Then I saw a Red Ring...

OH DEAR GOD, NOT THE RED RINGS!!!  Sonic and collectathons don't mix, dammit, when are they going to figure that out?!

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1190 on: March 21, 2017, 09:03:50 AM
Well as long as it's not done as they did in Advance 2 it's fine. Lost World had Red Rings and that was fine, you could collect them in any order without having to worry about having to get them all in one go.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1191 on: March 21, 2017, 04:39:38 PM
Red Rings were fine in Colors and Generations too. If you master the course you can easily get four of them in a run at least.

They add replayability to already fun stages imo.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1192 on: March 22, 2017, 11:02:13 PM
Yeah Red Rings haven't been a problem since Advance 2 lol

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #1193 on: March 23, 2017, 07:25:53 PM
Red Rings were fine in Colors
...what Bizarro World did you come from, exactly?  Colors is the REASON that I despise red rings.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1194 on: March 23, 2017, 10:58:15 PM
I don't particularly remember despising Colors' red rings, though I did look up a fair amount of them. I definitely had no problem with them in Generations. 75% of the time they were on the harder paths, so they were your reward for getting good.

Mirby's right about Advance 2 though. If you think red rings are bad, try having to collect all of them at once without dying.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #1195 on: March 25, 2017, 08:00:39 AM
Advance 2 had the evil SP Rings, which you had to collect in one go. Colors had Red Star Rings that you could collect at any time (and often couldn't even get on first-time runs of stages). The thing is that Colors' Red Rings were entirely optional and only worked towards getting you the Super Sonic reward that was never necessary, though stage tweaks to accommodate were neat. If you wanted the true ending of Advance 2, you had to get those damnable SP Rings and complete the crappy yet pathetically easy special stages.

If you were going out of your way to be pretty completionist for Red Rings in Colors without just getting them more passively on spare time, I can see why they'd be pretty souring though. And that's not getting into how sadistically dumb 100%'ing the Red Rings were for Lost World.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1196 on: March 25, 2017, 05:53:11 PM
Red Rings in colors also unlocked stuff for multiplayer.

Which was pretty fun shut up

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #1197 on: March 29, 2017, 06:51:51 AM
The thing is that Colors' Red Rings were entirely optional and only worked towards getting you the Super Sonic reward that was never necessary

The fact that Colors' story does not acknowledge Super Sonic is irrelevant.  Nobody plays Sonic because of its deep narrative.  Every Sonic fan had been bitching ever since the turn of the millennium for Super Sonic to return to stages.  Colors was the first time that ever happened, it was kind of a big deal, not exactly a minor skill bonus like in Generations.  So they locked it behind the most ridiculously tedious requirement imaginable, that forces you to replay and scour EVERY STAGE IN THE GODDAMN GAME until you're sick of seeing a single one of the game's polygons...and then keep playing because you still didn't find them all.  THE ENTIRE POINT TO SUPER SONIC IN STAGES IS REPLAY VALUE, and it should never ever have been locked behind the most replay-killing requirement imaginable.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1198 on: March 31, 2017, 01:09:16 AM
Iris, with those big manly arms and torso...

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #1199 on: April 05, 2017, 06:39:12 PM

The fact that Colors' story does not acknowledge Super Sonic is irrelevant.  Nobody plays Sonic because of its deep narrative.  Every Sonic fan had been bitching ever since the turn of the millennium for Super Sonic to return to stages.  Colors was the first time that ever happened, it was kind of a big deal, not exactly a minor skill bonus like in Generations.  So they locked it behind the most ridiculously tedious requirement imaginable, that forces you to replay and scour EVERY STAGE IN THE GODDAMN GAME until you're sick of seeing a single one of the game's polygons...and then keep playing because you still didn't find them all.  THE ENTIRE POINT TO SUPER SONIC IN STAGES IS REPLAY VALUE, and it should never ever have been locked behind the most replay-killing requirement imaginable.
To be honest, besides a few fiendish ones like the infamous Red Ring right behind the goal or the ones that are super incredibly easy to miss and not get a second shot at without a restart, the problem with Red Rings in Colors if you think about it that way is the excess filler stages that all have 5 rings to gain as well. It's not that they're usually hard to find, odds are if a Wisp power-up's in a larger-than-normal area or completely unnecessary to progression there may be an extra route or a secret to uncover; but the sheer number of stages compared to a normal Sonic game is what really makes it tedious. It's actually fun to discover hidden routes in Generations for the Red Rings - not so much when there's like six acts of Asteroid Coaster with 5 rings each resulting in 30 rings overall just for one zone.

Besides, my point was moreso that SP Rings in Advance 2 were especially fiendish compared to the Red Rings since if you want to reap their rewards, you have to basically throw Advance 2's entire mentality and design out the window and get every single one in a run with meticulous planning and precision while still being fast enough at certain points for tricky jumps. And worse yet, it was required. If Red Rings had to be recollected on each run for them to 'count', i'm pretty sure we'd all resent them from the bottoms of our hearts. And Lost World pretty much turns them into another Super Sonic reward like Colors, but while having less to collect overall due to 4 acts a zone, throws all logic into a blender by having so many you only have one shot at grabbing per stage run or having ridiculously lethal circumstances around them that turn Lost World into one of the hardest Sonic games in years with how dickish the level design can be.

Compared to that malarkey, Colors is just tiresome.