Ninja Lou · 38551

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
on: July 18, 2009, 07:48:54 AM
http://kotaku.com/5317359/if-nintendo-wont-make-a-hd-starfox-these-guys-will

Its sad Nintendo will kill it and most likely never make anything close to this ever

This post has been approved by Marle!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 07:57:49 AM
I [tornado fang]ing crave new StarFox. Less story, less Sonic Team tier friends, less cinematics.

More blowing [parasitic bomb] up throughout the cosmos, "Top Gun"-esque one liners and some form of kick ass multiplayer, co-op or otherwise. Everything is there to make an awesome entry, I just hope Nintendo capitalizes on it when the chance arrives.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:05:32 AM
So, who all thinks that Nintendo will throw a bitchfit and call a Cease and Desist on "Shadows of Lylat" like Square-Enix did on the 3D PC Chrono Trigger remake? Or for that matter, how long 'till it happens?

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 08:10:45 AM
If they really wanted it to happen Kotaku should not have posted about this. I am sure nintendo is already getting the papers in order

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 08:12:50 AM
This might be nice... except I know Nintendo is going to C&D them... Arrogant pricks... At least I'm getting a copy of SNES StarFox in 2 days... but some new Arwing action would really be appreciated...

Offline lizardcommando

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Lizardcommando's Youtube Page
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 08:47:41 AM
I [tornado fang]ing crave new StarFox. Less story, less Sonic Team tier friends, less cinematics.

More blowing [parasitic bomb] up throughout the cosmos, "Top Gun"-esque one liners and some form of kick ass multiplayer, co-op or otherwise. Everything is there to make an awesome entry, I just hope Nintendo capitalizes on it when the chance arrives.

Oh god yes! Everything you said is exactly what needs to be done with a new Starfox game! Why haven't Nintendo made a new Starfox game already? The Wii is the perfect choice for a new Starfox game. I didn't really like that Starfox game that came out for the DS.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 08:50:41 AM
I most certainly did not enjoy Star Fox Command, on my DS.
It just wasn't satisfying.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 08:57:14 AM
I personally don't get the impression that Nintendo has given up on Starfox, else why include three SF characters in Brawl?

F-Zero on the other hand....lack of F-Zero news makes me a sad robotic panda  :'(

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 09:38:19 AM
I personally don't get the impression that Nintendo has given up on Starfox, else why include three SF characters in Brawl?

F-Zero on the other hand....lack of F-Zero news makes me a sad robotic panda  :'(

I dunno game and watch is in there and he hasn't seen a public release since GBA. Kid Icarus made it in and he hasnt had a new game since gameboy.

I read somewhere nintendo has this weird take on starfox. let me see if I can find it.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 10:06:24 AM
Don't go spreading falsehoods there Lou. That guy was only the engine programmer for StarFox SNES and the one responsible for StarFox Command. Nintendo still holds final say on whether or not a new StarFox will be made and how awesome it will be. For reference of the last part, see StarFox 64.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 10:27:46 AM
assault was great~

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 11:08:20 AM
assault was great~

The first level of Assault was great. The rest of the game was totally mediocre, as if the first mission and the rest of the game were developed by two entirely different developer teams.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 11:23:04 AM
assault was great~

I didn't get to try it. Stupid limited print nonsense. :(

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 12:43:38 PM
either way we get cool new game

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 05:01:42 PM
I haven't seem a C&D on a fan game. Like, built from scratch. And this is built using a diffrent engine and own storyline.
So, why C&D it?

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 05:06:02 PM
because nintendo enjoys throwing out C&Ds? >.>

i mean sure, not as much as square does, but still

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 05:23:15 PM
Shadows of Lylat's been in development for a while. Technically, the game engine is built off of the one from Freespace 2, so it's not exactly original. I'm a bit worried about this one, since it looks like it might not have corridor gameplay, which would seem odd in a Star Fox game (just like it did it Command, for the most part).

Nintendo has had years to take this one down, but they haven't done it yet. Considering it's one of the more well known fan projects when it comes to Star Fox, I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't hear about it already. I guess we'll see.

As for why does Nintendo not make their own Star Fox... who the heck knows. More concentrated on making games that are sure to sell (ie. Mario and Zelda, all those Casual games too) rather than Star Fox, which is probably wouldn't sell as much.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 06:58:09 PM
Nintendo's too busy getting shovelware on to Wii to worry about good games.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 07:42:52 PM

So incredibly true.

Also, if they do another "all-range" game as opposed to the corridor format, you NEED to be able to manually roll your ship.  That was my biggest complaint in Star Fox Command.  It was excusable in 64 and earlier, but in this day and age, you expect a little more control to be able to pull wild maneuvers.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 11:00:45 PM
less cinematics.

Define "cinematics". Recall that SFSnes and SF64 had quite a few cutscenes (usually baddies exploding >0<) that added to the immediacy of your progress and actions.

Everything else, yeah. I think the last time we had a Starfox thread, though, Cuthbert was well, well aware of fans wanting a linear Starfox. I can only assume that the Starfox dev teams thought that there was a balance between on-rails and off-rails when there clearly was not a balance to be had.

And even though they didn't, let's say that if they tried to base the amounts of each kind of gameplay on Starfox 64's formula,
they now have to heavily adjust for more on-rails gameplay to make up for all the lack of it we've had recently.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 11:31:51 PM
Cinematics regarding anything other than the quick intro before a level or special event (boss & level intro, Andross' taunts via radio signal, apes going "I CAN'T BELIEVE I LOST TO THIS SCUM!" before going out in a flaming blast) are extra and can get the axe. XD

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 11:38:20 PM
Now that I agree with. It was annoying to play through a Starfox Assault mission, and then get interrupted for mindless chatter before hitting the good stuff (I'm specifically thinking Sargasso Space Station). Command was just a pain-in-the-tail all around.

There were times that Starfox 64 would stop you, but the majority of that was something incoming in All-Range mode, whether that was Star Wolf or missiles, etc., and those sequences didn't last all that long.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 02:01:14 PM
Don't give Cuthbert too much credit there, it was probably his idea to have Command turn out the way it did. Basically all that game's elements are from SF2, which of course he was (and still is) annoyed that it was never officially released. He let his own sense of what he wanted to finally show interfere with what people actually wanted.

Short cutscenes are just fine and dandy, but anything beyond that is unacceptable. The problem is that they try to overcomplicate it too much now, when honestly it needs to be kept freaking simple. Take SF64's cutscenes; those were great. The Star Wolf intros were awesome, and the end of MacBeth was also awesome, and the latter had all of two lines of dialogue.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 04:03:01 PM
Don't give Cuthbert too much credit there, it was probably his idea to have Command turn out the way it did.

Granted, but after Assault and Command's critical reviews, I think he knows the fans are looking for on-rails, now.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 11:54:58 PM
I could accept an off-rails game if the controls were well done, but Command wasn't.  It was too simple, and if they want Star Fox to retain that simplicity, then yes, it needs to be on-rails.  Because when the whole game is off-rails, you expect more control than Command afforded.

At the same time, on or off rails, try to keep a decent level of speed.  Many, many times I played the Assault store demos trying to convince myself to buy it, and I just couldn't do it.  It's.  Too.  Damn.  Slow.  Same reason I hate Command's versus mode.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)