Official Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Specs, Tech, Price? It's all here!

Emiri Landeel · 262582

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
If the battery hooks directly to the 3DS's battery slot thingy, then I assume the 3DS's charging port would work to charge it. The Voltage isn't any different, just the mAh
As long as the bulk doesn't make it uncomfortable to play, I'll be getting it. Which honestly seems like it doesn't, and as the battery seems like it'll be an issue with the 3DS, it'll be for the best.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
And the batt itself is only 20USD.
That's a pretty good price.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Yeah, and not to mention that if you REALLY wanted that battery life you could carry both batteries for like 9-10 hours total. Sure since you'd need a screwdriver it wouldn't be THAT convenient, but the option is there.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Yeah, and not to mention that if you REALLY wanted that battery life you could carry both batteries for like 9-10 hours total. Sure since you'd need a screwdriver it wouldn't be THAT convenient, but the option is there.

You could pick up some low profile thumb screws.

My concern with multiple batteries would be the life of the batteries given they would be charged at odd intervals and one might be neglected for months or days.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Carrying a screwdriver around just to switch batteries? XD That's just like that online logic of having two iPads so you can multitask. =P http://i.imgur.com/S4wlS.jpg

Find a workaround, people. Come on. Nintendo's releasing a crappy battery, but there should probably be third-party improvements.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Carrying a screwdriver around just to switch batteries? XD

Haha, I did say it's not that covenient (hell, make that not convenient at all and only for those completely crazy about battery life XD). If batteries were more like the PSP's (and Nintendo should start doing that) carrying an extra battery in your backpack for travels certainly wouldn't be a bad idea though.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Not to say that the DSL didn't have a convenient third-party approach to batteries; there was one somewhere that actually came with a proper hinge-lock cover to replace the regular one.

Seeing that the whole back plate of the 3DS needs to be removed, it might be possible to see a replacement backplate with battery door?

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Not to say that the DSL didn't have a convenient third-party approach to batteries; there was one somewhere that actually came with a proper hinge-lock cover to replace the regular one.

Seeing that the whole back plate of the 3DS needs to be removed, it might be possible to see a replacement backplate with battery door?

As in, replace the whole back with a bracket and latch of its own?

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
God no. Just a door for accessing the battery, as part of the plate.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
You mean cut a hole in the existing backing?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Meaning, a custom, maybe third-party 3DS cover which can make the battery more accessible. Hell, I'd buy it.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Something that, itself, screws into the 3DS's screw holes, but provides a mechanism for a spring latch cover?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
So I got my hands on the 3DS yesterday, and I gotta say, it's pretty awesome. I really really like the adjustable 3D slider. As for the games, Pilotwings is fantastic, as is OoT. However, Kid Icarus is troublesome as of now. My fear of the controls from the video were justified with the ground missions. It handles horribly. The flying missions are pretty cool, but unless there are customizable controls of some kind, I cannot play it.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
So I got my hands on the 3DS yesterday, and I gotta say, it's pretty awesome. I really really like the adjustable 3D slider. As for the games, Pilotwings is fantastic, as is OoT. However, Kid Icarus is troublesome as of now. My fear of the controls from the video were justified with the ground missions. It handles horribly. The flying missions are pretty cool, but unless there are customizable controls of some kind, I cannot play it.
Yeah, I won't be able to play it either. This is what I say about dual analogs being very important in things like this. Either that, or controls like Panzer Dragoon.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
However, Kid Icarus is troublesome as of now. My fear of the controls from the video were justified with the ground missions. It handles horribly. The flying missions are pretty cool, but unless there are customizable controls of some kind, I cannot play it.

Damn, that's a shame to hear. That was my most anticipated first party 3DS title. Well, there's still plenty of time to tweak the controls and whatnot.

Yeah, I won't be able to play it either. This is what I say about dual analogs being very important in things like this. Either that, or controls like Panzer Dragoon.

The thing is, i find many people who say that the touch screen can remedy the lack of the second analog quite well, if not better. Though at the same time, i can't imagine myself playing the entire game, only to wear my wrist out using the touch screen (happened when playing PH). This is a tricky situation.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Damn, that's a shame to hear. That was my most anticipated first party 3DS title. Well, there's still plenty of time to tweak the controls and whatnot.

The thing is, i find many people who say that the touch screen can remedy the lack of the second analog quite well, if not better. Though at the same time, i can't imagine myself playing the entire game, only to wear my wrist out using the touch screen (happened when playing PH). This is a tricky situation.
I couldn't play Metroid Prime Hunters because of it. See, in the right situation, you can actually aim better with a stylus, but it is the complete and total lack of comfort to one's hand that gets to me.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile

Because you weren't playing it. It's a showy game. It looks cool, but playing it is another story. You'd probably be better of with Starfox. Similar gameplay, but it doesn't pretend it's not a shooter on rails.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Kid Icarus isn't an N64 game.  Not that I won't love playing SF64 again, I will, but I am still playing it again.

Everything I've heard says that Prime Hunters is the best litmus test as to how one will handle Kid Icarus's controls.  Hunters wasn't my favorite setup, but it worked, and it admittedly beat the hell out of attempting an all-button setup (glad they provided the option, if only to ween yourself off at your own pace).

Basically, if you hated Hunters' controls, I wouldn't expect to get used to Kid Icarus.  But if you worked with it, then I don't think you'll have a problem.

If the battery hooks directly to the 3DS's battery slot thingy, then I assume the 3DS's charging port would work to charge it. The Voltage isn't any different, just the mAh
Yeah, but...the dock is cooler. >U<

For the purpose of practicality, touche.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Funnily enough, Kid Icarus is actually a game which would work quite well with a single analog movement+aim. It's not an FPS, and it's a game in which you keep moving forward, requiring no strafing. I don't know why Nintendo chose against it. I'm still hoping they'll put an option in the final game, but it's unlikely.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
I couldn't play Metroid Prime Hunters because of it. See, in the right situation, you can actually aim better with a stylus, but it is the complete and total lack of comfort to one's hand that gets to me.

Aiming is really not the issue. The flying parts are fine once you get used to it. It's the ground movement that's really atrocious. You literally turn your character around by flicking the stylus on the touch screen. I could potentially see it working if I just use my thumb on the touch screen instead of the stylus, but I didn't have the option to do that at the demo. I was also not alone in the discomfort level found while playing Kid Icarus, as many many other PAX goers felt the same way. I mean, my hand hurt after playing the demo, so I can't imagine anyone with bigger hands being able to handle it. Overall though, the excitement level for this game has drastically dropped.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Aiming is really not the issue. The flying parts are fine once you get used to it. It's the ground movement that's really atrocious. You literally turn your character around by flicking the stylus on the touch screen. I could potentially see it working if I just use my thumb on the touch screen instead of the stylus, but I didn't have the option to do that at the demo. I was also not alone in the discomfort level found while playing Kid Icarus, as many many other PAX goers felt the same way. I mean, my hand hurt after playing the demo, so I can't imagine anyone with bigger hands being able to handle it. Overall though, the excitement level for this game has drastically dropped.
I know, I played it. I have no idea why they needed strafing for those parts.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Mmyeah, I was a bit worried about the ground controls. Every time I've seen someone playing it, they've had a hard time in those segments. They should probably consider locking the camera in those segments so that people don't have to struggle with it.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
I played these demos:

Dead or Alive: Dimensions - Loved it~ It was fast-paced and beautiful. I beat most opponents perfectly using fist combos and a mix of different kick moves with Kasumi~ I might get it! <3 ^w^

Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D - I picked Claire, tested the controls (Shoot with Y when holding R, walking by holding B, and so on). It was just like the Mercenaries mode in the past games. I liked it, but I am also waiting for Revelations~ <3

Pilotwings Resort - Love it love it!!! >U< I played Mission Mode, picked the Rocket Belt and Air Plane style games. Got 54/60 points on the Rocket Belt, popping two balloons. And I got a perfect 140/140 score on the Air Plane game, flying through rings. I think the normal speed of the plane was at 47km/h, but when doing a specific thing (flying through specific rings or something else), you will fly over 100km/h and beat the mission faster. I will get this game~ :cookie:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - The waiting line for this game was TOO long, so I didn't have as much time to play it as the first-comers did, but I still got a good taste of the smooth motion of the game itself (frame rate, etc) and the 3D effect. I picked the Deku Tree dungeon demo (since we have already seen Kokiri Forest before). The dungeon itself was exactly the same as the original N64 version, but it was still as cool as it ever was~ The button settings i remembered was these: Y button for the Deku Sticks, X button for the Slingshot, B for the sword slashes, A button to roll forward and R button to guard with the shield. I liked how I could aim the Slingshot with the gyrosensor in the 3DS, by moving the whole system around, but regular aim controls still exist. The 3D effect is very good in this game. You can see the depth for most objects and Nintendo did a great work. The text bubble sticks at the front of the screen, while Link, enemies and backgrounds move a bit more back to show more depth. This is definitely a must-have game, even if you played it before~ :cookie: >U<

Saw the 3DS trailers for Paper Mario, Kario Mart 3DS and Star Fox 64 3D, displayed on actual 3DS units. You can really see the 3D effect on those, the player objects really sticks out on the screen while the background falls back and shows more depth. Interesting. In Paper Mario, there was a few new elements showing up, like items and enemies, and you can see all the paper-flat objects in different depth levels which was cool. Mario and Luigi were driving on the Mario Kart race courses that was already announced on the old trailer from the internet. You can also see the 3D effect when Fox McCloud fights bosses, or enemies fly behind him. I want all of these games. ^^

And the highlight, the reason why I even wanted a 3DS in the first place.....!!!

Kid Icarus: Uprising - What did I think about it? It's GRRRREAT!!! 0v0 It's just as awesome as I hoped it would be~ I picked the Claws weapon and the Easy mission demo (Hard is embed on a youtube clip in the Kid Icarus topic). The controls are like this, you attack or shoot things with the L button, you move around with the circle (analog) pad and yes, like PB said, you aim and rotate Pit around with the touch screen. When you aim, you will see the cursor on the top screen, and you will move it around with the touch screen and that way, you have to kinda guess where the exact spot for the target is when you try to hit other enemies, but you will get used to it real quick. As long as you keep your eyes on the top screen and pointing the touch pen on the touch screen and kinda guess where the aim is, it will feel good later on and you won't miss a lot either. On the ground, you rotate Pit sideways (slowly) with the touch screen too (think Resident Evil style rotating, but using the touch screen instead), and I guess people would be a little put off by that, but you might get used to it after a while tho. The movements with the circle pad are simple to learn. You can move (or walk) forward, backwards, strafing and all that stuff, but if you double-tap the circle pad in any direction, you will either run or do a dodge roll/somersault. The L button attacks works just like Sin & Punishment. If enemies are far away, you shoot them, if they are very close, you will slice them with the weapon you are currently using. While you are doing the double-tap movements AND attacking at the same time, you will perform some cool special attacks that hits many enemies on-screen, depending on your range, or deal lots of damage to bosses. Speaking of bosses, this demo's boss was "Bark like a dog" Twinbellows. That fight was fun too. ^w^ I got about 13000+ points on the demo, I almost perfected the whole mission (got hit only one or two times at the most) and this is definitely one of the games I want in my 3DS collection~ >u<

This summer will be so cool nya~ <3
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:15:54 PM by VixyNyan »

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile