Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: September 16, 2011, 10:02:59 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-11-devil-may/720943
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-11-devil-may/720944

Tiny wind-up before each strike? Yes.
Small slowdown after each strike to deliver a God of War-style heavy blow experience? Yes.
Slo-mo finishing moves to make the whole thing cinematic instead of fluid? Yes.
Combo system that allows you to catch enemies from anywhere and just stay in the air indefinetly comboing for tons of time, even though it's much slower than normal Devil May Cry gameplay? Yes.
Terrible camera? Yes.
Devil Trigger that makes everything slower instead of making you vicious, and that stuns all your enemies? Yes.
Bogged down combos that seem to be as basic as in any God of War game? Yes.

...ladies and gentlemen, I think we found out the Devil May Cry 2 successor.

Scenery looks pretty damn cool though. Credit where it's due, Ninja Theory have always been good at impressive sceneries.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:59:04 AM
DMC 2 also looked really good and yet.....

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:44:21 PM
But with DMC2, you could plainly see that the gameplay was [tornado fang]'d. With this game, the gameplay's JUST like Heavenly Sword. It's like they made no effort to hide it at all. Each strike feels like a heavy blow through the speed the game goes. They had to slow it down because the damn engine only runs at 30fps.

And it seems that, from the easily managed combos, you can AIR COMBO FOREVER. Something that took skill and patience to do in Devil May Cry for a little bit, is suddenly a mashing affair. The guy playing it doesn't seem to be TOO skilled, due to being hit a few times with really easy enemies. So, yeah. The new Devil May Cry is simply another God of War/Heavenly Sword, starring a drugged-up chav.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 12:57:21 PM
How dissapointing

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:15:55 PM
So I guess that God-oath many/most DMC fans have sworn against this game won't be retracted any time soon.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 01:43:01 PM
I just truly, truly hope this game is unsuccessful. And that fans don't tard it up and buy it anyway out of curiosity.

This isn't a bad game, but it's a bad Devil May Cry. Reviewers will love it, due to it being visually good and casual as all hell in terms of combat. It will sell. But I hope it sells less than other DMC games. Capcom need to know they made a mistake by choosing a game developer that has been making unsuccessful games so far, games that haven't sold as much as expected, and that have centered too much around being a movie, instead of having good gameplay. They shouldn't just pick the first western developer who makes action games they see to build upon such a strong franchise. Specially one with the reputation of making ripoffs of ripoffs of their games.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 02:12:41 PM
Has Turian seen it yet?

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 02:28:09 PM
No idea. He a fan?

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 02:54:08 PM
I am one and I am sad.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 03:21:57 PM
Has Turian seen it yet?
Nah, he'll see a video in three weeks and post it here, even though the video itself will be the one that was posted here.

:P

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 03:50:36 PM
Don't be mean. He just did that once, right?

Also, nobody wants to give their impressions on the video? It kinda annoyed me that you could stun all enemies at once with the devil trigger.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 03:58:17 PM
I'm not being mean, I'm merely teasing, that's all. :P

And no, I haven't checked the video out. This game doesn't interest me, honestly.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 04:25:07 PM
At the very least, it looked pretty.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 05:18:33 PM
Ninja Theory can do pretty. What they can't do, is complexingly good controls for deep gameplay.

Their last game was basically Uncharted without the shooting. Which leaves, um... automatic linear platforming 101?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 08:48:12 PM
It doesn't look that bad. In fact if it were any other game, I would say it looks very good.
But this is supposed to be DMC? Really? That fight in the first video was so boring I almost fell asleep. Grab, hit hit hit, grab, hit hit hit, HIT HIT HIT, GRAB!
It also seemed kinda slow, when it comes to the actual attacks. Dunno maybe it's just me.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 09:22:51 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrLPUiNXQu0[/youtube]

For comparison's sake.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 02:51:51 AM
It doesn't look that bad. In fact if it were any other game, I would say it looks very good.
But this is supposed to be DMC? Really? That fight in the first video was so boring I almost fell asleep. Grab, hit hit hit, grab, hit hit hit, HIT HIT HIT, GRAB!
It also seemed kinda slow, when it comes to the actual attacks. Dunno maybe it's just me.

Pretty much this. If it were any Other game, Id probably think "Well that looks interesting"

But as Devil May Cry?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 10:38:51 AM
This isn't a bad game, but it's a bad Devil May Cry. Reviewers will love it, due to it being visually good and casual as all hell in terms of combat. It will sell. But I hope it sells less than other DMC games. Capcom need to know they made a mistake by choosing a game developer that has been making unsuccessful games so far, games that haven't sold as much as expected, and that have centered too much around being a movie, instead of having good gameplay. They shouldn't just pick the first western developer who makes action games they see to build upon such a strong franchise. Specially one with the reputation of making ripoffs of ripoffs of their games.
Except, Capcom will see it as "Oh, Devil May Cry doesn't sell", not "We made a terrible game from a great series." I'm trying to remember where I heard it, but the deal seems to be that Capcom wants this game sell big or get shelved. I'm not gonna declare that as fact, but I don't think it's too far from the truth. Inafune and Co pushed for this god awful chav because they wanted to turn heads and get attention. Instead of doing it the right way, by giving us great gameplay and a reason to be excited, they did it by alienating nearly every fan of the originals. While there is no such thing as bad press, there is such a thing as burning your fans one too many times and Capcom just unlocked the backburner and is tearing through the crowd.

If we want to show Capcom how bad this is for Devil May Cry, we don't buy it and risk Capcom shelving the series. If we want to guarantee future games in the series, we buy it and Capcom thinks "This worked!". I think we could be boned either way.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 12:35:55 PM
I'm not gonna buy it anyway. And neither should anyone else. Devil May Cry games sold. They weren't the most successful games ever, but they sold well enough to justify making more of them. This change is only aimed at making it into a franchise that sells much, much more. Which probably won't. God of War can sell tons, because it appeals to the gruff consumer's primal nature of destroying [parasitic bomb] all around. What Capcom did here, was think they were hiring a few very successful designers, when they were actually hiring a bunch of hipsters who think they know what people like. They can't turn Devil May Cry into a best-selling, big franchise for everyone, because that would entail completely changing what Dante is, far beyond this chav thing. Add muscles, spill buckets of blood, add in quite a few limb-ripping and decapitations, and market it as if he was a vampire. Now that would make heads turn.

But they think they can sell THIS... their interpretation of what the series should be instead of an all-around, all-pleasing thing that the consumer typically wants. I'd just love to be the fly on the wall for when Capcom heads go "WHY DIDU WE DO DIS DESU?"

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 12:45:18 PM
Need I remind everyone how this Dante redesign is pretty much a self-insert of the head guy at Ninja Theory? That should say something right there.

OH LOL I'M DANTE HURR

Offline Ace DeSpade

• More awesome than you.
  • Robot Master
  • ^Is awesome.
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 06:00:44 AM
There's also the fact that they seem to be taking stuff from Bayonetta (main character heads to another world to fight, humans from the human world appear as golden silhouettes in that world).

Also, anyone noticed his dash has some sparkles along with it? Welcome back Edward Cullen-lookalike theories! :D

[insert decent signature here]

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 11:04:28 AM
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1421/1317199846589.jpg

This is a neat summary about everything that's wrong with the game. It's been updated since TGS.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 01:41:52 PM
From what I saw of the first two DMC games... they looked fairly enjoyable. I played 1 briefly, and it was rather enjoyable.

But after reading that summary Flash, I'm rather disappointed in Tameem himself. When one makes a game (or at least this is true for some other venerated franchises) they try to listen to the fans to some extent. Tameem? Nah, he's making what he wants.

That's an extremely selfish and wrong way to make a game. If he wanted to do that, he should've made an IP, not alienate longtime fans of a franchise for what he wants.

I mean, I already was disappointed in this, but this just added to that.

Nice post, btw.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 03:02:11 PM
From what I saw of the first two DMC games... they looked fairly enjoyable. I played 1 briefly, and it was rather enjoyable.

But after reading that summary Flash, I'm rather disappointed in Tameem himself. When one makes a game (or at least this is true for some other venerated franchises) they try to listen to the fans to some extent. Tameem? Nah, he's making what he wants.

That's an extremely selfish and wrong way to make a game. If he wanted to do that, he should've made an IP, not alienate longtime fans of a franchise for what he wants.

I mean, I already was disappointed in this, but this just added to that.

Nice post, btw.
The DMC games are without a doubt, some of the deepest single player fighting games ever made. There are STYLE TOURNAMENTS, meant to judge on what players around the world are more stylish while playing it. It's that good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vYJRD2sr8c&feature=related[/youtube]

The game basically gives you 5 fighting styles to choose from, each with different combos. And WITHIN those styles, you have three ranged guns (one of which is a Pandora's Box with 666 different configurations, bullets, beams and specials, many available to use), and three Devil Arms, which act as the melee weapons, each with their own combos, moves, style and gameplay. It's like having every single character of a fighting game switcheable on the fly in a single man, and then using that man to fight a legion of hell demons.

The problem is, not ONE SINGLE THING of what made them what the games are, remains in this game. They destroyed one of the deepest and most fulfilling game series ever created.

Dante is cocky, AMAZINGLY good at what he does and self-assured, and when the wacky dramatic badass [parasitic bomb] happens, it's for humor's sake. The whole thing's very tongue-in-cheek, ever since the first game. Dante is meant to parody the heroes who think they're incredibly grim and dark with their gothic bullshit fantasies. What DMC is turning into, according to the designer, is exactly what it meant to parody. It's obvious that Antoniades has never played one single DMC game, and if he did, it was the second title (the non-canon title which Capcom went "please don't mention it to us" and drove the original designer out of making the saga), which was very, very bad, but still leagues better than this.

Not only that, not a SINGLE game Ninja Theory ever made has ever broken even in sales. They were all overpriced, overproduced flops. Flops which are characterized by having incredibly basic gameplay with heavy use of QTEs for just about everything, the use of mocap and expensive actors to turn the game into what's basically a movie, and stories which don't even reach Michael Bay standards. Heavenly Sword was a God of War in which every technique ended in a cinematic slow-mo move where the camera took awkward spots to show you how COOL you are. (this game has that too, shown in the demo) And Enslaved was a platformer in which YOU CAN'T FALL OFF PLATFORMS.

Now, their latest stunt is to take a gigantic steaming turd into a fantastic franchise.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 03:35:36 PM
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1421/1317199846589.jpg

This is a neat summary about everything that's wrong with the game. It's been updated since TGS.
this was an interesting read.

Ill be honest though, what kills me MOST is the self insertion of Tameem as Dante. Its basically an over-glorified self insertion fanfic, by someone whos never had any contact with the source material either.

"WOOO IM DANTE YEAH, IM GONNA MAKE THE GAME THE WAY I THINK [parasitic bomb] WOULD BE LIKE IF I WAS DANTE"

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.