X8. I didnt like it all that much.

Flame · 57746

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
on: August 17, 2009, 12:44:01 AM
With all this talk of X9 and what it should be like, yadda yadda yadda, I look at X8, and I see that in the end, I didnt really like it.
I posted this in the Capcom unity forums, and figured Id put it here too.

Megaman X8. the X series triumphant return after X7, which was an all around rushed unfinished product.

However, I felth that it really just didnt cut it for me... X8 was good mind you, i enjoyed playing it, like any other X game... I enjoyed X7 too. but I didnt really "like" it.

X8  just felt lacking... SERIOUSLY lacking... It just doesnt feel right. The music feels hollow and just doesnt fit.. like they tried too hard and said "Yeah, lets put rock in it! that makes it a megaman game! Megaman games all have rock right?" Which isnt true... its not supposed to be all rock. Its supposed to be slightly varied. All the rock in X8 just sounded all the same to me... there were not too many memorable tunes. They were bland.

The gameplay was not that great either. While the basic running and shooting things up to bits was just as it should be, there were very little enemies, and not strategiclly placed to give you a hard time. Mostly just big bulky ones to take up space, and then moving ones to give the impression of more. The rest were small.  The intro stage had those missile launchers, but the rest was bees, and crabs. then a few mets and those shovel things, along with a fw Bladys to run into you. they were all widely placed. Then Trillobytes stage made an impression of a long level by simply giving you the same area twice, and then a few short battles thrown in with an easily defeated giant robot. The city level. That was all just one big annoying loop. Whatever happened to bike stages the likes of X4and the short bit in X5? Yeti's level was better than that. it was among one of the better ones. the bike stage there was pretty well done. Then theres Pitch black, which is just one big wannabe stealth op. with almost NO enemies, and when you trip a light, THEN security guards come out. which are easily dispatched by killing the leader. then once you turn on the light, Zero might as well drop his saber and use his hands, as there are very few enemies, and small ones, at that. The fact that you could break sheilds so easily was also pretty broken. It reduced the challenge by a bit.

Then there were the NewGens in the stages. they just stood there and shot at you, when they could have I dunno, maybe transformed and chased you or something? The ones in Sigma's palace were pitiful... as was the rest of the stage. Almost NO enemies. they were all bunched up in the entrance to the palace. It was worse than X3 with its empty corridors. The whole stage was almost empty aside from a few Sigma clones here and there, and a small crab shooting at me from the ceiling.

Then, I didnt quite like the "shop" system they had set up. there are much better ways to do it, and I prefer having to FIND things in the stages. It ads replay value to them. Instead, there was very little exploration and thinking involved, as you simply picked up Metals and then bought an item once they had it. the only things that you had to find, were Rare metals and Light's Capsules. Both of which were very badly hidden. All the things that are usually the hard to find or get items that make you stronger and make the game easier, were just buyable. Heart tanks, Sub tanks, ability chips. they even had WE ups. All buyable. which means I really dont even haveto visit any of the stages once Ive beaten it. which means little replay value. especially by abusing the Subtank/Metals glitch.

The Bosses were alright I guess. The only reason theyre challenging is because until you level yours up, they have a much longer health bar than you. just like all recent X games.

Many of the weapons were useless outside of bossfights too. With how powerful you could make the buster and Saber, you didnt need them. Axl is the only one who gets milage out of his weapons, as some of them are more practical depending on the situation.

Then there are minor qualms that while they have little impact on the experience, should to be noted anyway.

The redesigns. While I have no problem with giving redesigns, these in particular just did not look good in game. The in game models looked very weird and too long, in comparison with the artwork. In fact, the only place they looked great, was the cover and the cutscenes.

Zero's helmet. I dont even need to talk about this one. I mean, seriously? His helmet is his most striking feature! and they go and dumb down his prongs. As a matter of fact, Maverick Hunter X didnt get them right either.

The armors. They were all just recolors... Dont be lazy... Seriously. with the excuse of neutral armor, every X armor in the game is just a recolor. and the mugshot was lazy too. Its neutral armor. no other colors corresponding to the others. And the design was rather strange. but maybe that ws the mouth guard collar that X had.

Ultimate armor. Alright, Im happy that it was put in, but was it absolutely NESSECARY to make it just another recolor of Neutral?  Ever since X7 was announced, I have wondered what a 3D ultimate armor would look like, and how awesome it would be. I still have not seen a 3D ultimate armor. The closes to it being X Command mission's X-Fire hyper mode, which slightly looks like the Ultimate Armor. Its abilities were slightly changed as well. The hover function was removed. Not that its that big a deal, but still.

Zero's Dash. What the hell happened here?

And thats pretty much it...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:47:31 AM
What do Zero and Batman have in common? Both have fans that fight over their pointy headthings.

I liked Zero's design in X8.

X8 wasn't the best thing ever, but it was enjoyable. And quite a good 2.5D rendition of the classic formula. I have few complaints. The biggest would be that most music tracks are pretty forgettable. Some stand out, but that's it.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:56:47 AM
I didn't really like that 50% of the stages (Sunflower, Man-O-War, Mantis, and hell even Pandamonium with 80% Ride armor) focused too much on a gimmick. Another thing... Retry Chips? Seriously? Thats the worst idea since limited continues, maximum of 5 Lives... ::).

Another thing... does anybody else think the gravity in this game is a little too heavy?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:59:16 AM
Good, could've been better.
Music was on par though.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 01:04:17 AM
What do Zero and Batman have in common? Both have fans that fight over their pointy headthings.

I liked Zero's design in X8.

X8 wasn't the best thing ever, but it was enjoyable. And quite a good 2.5D rendition of the classic formula. I have few complaints. The biggest would be that most music tracks are pretty forgettable. Some stand out, but that's it.

the designs were good, the models looked weird. Zero's helmet got [tornado fang]'d up though.  :P
Perhaps this will change your mind?   8D
I lol'd. it just might. XD

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:16:26 AM
Bleh, if only they spent less time with the fanservice (Seems to happen in a lot of games, where the hot/cute/exotic woman is in the cover expecting the game to be good). Look what happened with Iris, and again, "They never learned from Sky Lagoon".

My gripe with Iris is not the design, 'twas the character excecution. turned out to be an attempt of expanding the story than "Oh noes! Sigma's back again!". But backfired enough that it created a meme. I thought X6's storyline was better because it was much more involved with Zero's past. :/

The misdub funtime was okay though.. and the models looks like it jumped RIGHT out of Code Geass, you know how long those legs were. What I am trying to say is, "Boobs and pretty graphics don't make the game.. but they do make the fanservice!".

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:20:31 AM
I find stages to be a little too short, but maybe it's because of that lack of enemies, so you just beam down, run/fly, and suddenly you're in the boss chamber. Zero's fun weapons make it up for me, though.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 01:20:37 AM
What the hell do Iris and Fanservice have anything to do with this?

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 01:25:58 AM
What the hell do Iris and Fanservice have anything to do with this?

I just needed to get something off that was bugging me about most games today. I honestly thought that when X7 came out, I thought they pulled a Lengend of Zelda and slightly screwed the "Zero Origin" plot a bit.

Guess I kinda went overboard on that bit, sorry. :(

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 01:30:29 AM
OK, personally I share Acid's opinion on X8, it was good for what it was and served as a decent spring board from the 2D games, but I do agree with you on some of the points you brought up in regards to the music, enemy variety, and levels, but the other things seem kinda nitpicky with the faults you listed in the game. The biggest of these are the character redesigns. The in-game models I'll give you, but the paper redesigns weren't too bad. I do however think that if X8 could have looked like the drawn stills of the characters in the Wild Fang OP there would be no contest as to it's quality.

I just needed to get something off that was bugging me about most games today. I honestly thought that when X7 came out, I thought they pulled a Lengend of Zelda and slightly screwed the "Zero Origin" plot a bit.

Guess I kinda went overboard on that bit, sorry. :(

Two things, first off, what? Secondly, do you use FireFox? If so do you see a red squiggly line under this? Do us all a favor:

Right click and check the spelling before posting.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 01:35:54 AM
Right click and check the spelling before posting.

How'd that happen? Sorry, I had (some) gripes on X4 and attempted to try to bring them out.. and failed miserably. two, was I THAT in a hurry that I didin't check my spelling? huh.. I'm gonna fix that, plus I use IE.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 01:37:21 AM
Ill say it again...
The redesigns. While I have no problem with giving redesigns, these in particular just did not look good in game. The in game models looked very weird and too long, in comparison with the artwork. In fact, the only place they looked great, was the cover and the cutscenes.
Never said I didnt like them. just hated the way they looked like in the actual gameplay. the models. Yknow, actually, Zero's helmet looked not bad in the CG cutscenes for some reason.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 01:38:15 AM
You've gotta admit though, the name Bamboo Pandamonium [tornado fang]ing rocks! 

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 01:39:11 AM
The models in X8 were pretty spot on. Leagues better than the stuff we saw in Command mission.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 01:43:58 AM
In all seriousness, since most of RPM knows about my abject and stubborn hatred for X7, X8 was a very refreshing game for PB.

However, I don't think any will ever top X1-X3 for me.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 01:48:20 AM
The models in X8 were pretty spot on. Leagues better than the stuff we saw in Command mission.
What was wrong with Command mission's models? (Besides no facial expressions)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 02:00:48 AM
Pros:
~Kickass music.
~Axl actually being useful.

Cons:
~Turtleneck armors for X.
~Aforementioned Zero tomfoolery.
~RIDE CHASER LEVELS.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 02:03:57 AM
You've gotta admit though, the name Bamboo Pandamonium [tornado fang]ing rocks! 

That's about the only thing that really sticks out for me, regarding X8. Beyond that, it wasn't anything that I thought was REALLY all that good, and was I soon back to playing the Zero games again.  8D

I mean, saying that it was a refreshing breath of air after X7, is like saying that getting a slap in the face is better than getting a wholesale ass-whupping. It's definitely an improvement, but I still didn't think it was worth me spending the MSRP for it, when it came out.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

I could ask you the same regarding X8's models.

Command Mission had disproportionate eggheaded bigfoot robots.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 02:05:16 AM
Someone said Zero series and now I have to play this card. The Zero series as a whole borderline beats out the X series overall.

I could ask you the same regarding X8's models.

Command Mission had disproportionate eggheaded bigfoot robots.

Not to mention the color pallette was all over the place and kinda detracted from the (awesome) art they used to detail them in the manual and official stuff.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 02:06:04 AM

Both of them were 2004 games. ^^ </psp>

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 02:06:22 AM
Someone said Zero series and now I have to play this card. The Zero series as a whole borderline beats out the X series overall.

I humbly disagree. Might be nostalgia talking, but X-1-3 are easily ob par with Z for me.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 02:07:27 AM
Eh, I like the game, it's no X1-X3 nor Z1-4, but I still enjoyed it and wouldn't mind replaying it here and then~

and I like Burn Rooster~

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 02:08:22 AM
Both of them were 2004 games. ^^ </psp>

I lol'd. XD

I humbly disagree. Might be nostalgia talking, but X-1-3 are easily ob par with Z for me.

No doubts here, actually I'd extend it to X1 - X4 personally. Something about the Zero series however came close to trumping the X series when we compare them as wholes.