L.A. Noire

Protoman Blues · 993

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
on: March 14, 2011, 08:50:04 AM

I just recently got back from the PAX East and I have seen a lot of demos, played a lot of indie games, and had a very fair share of fun experiences. However, what I personally will most take away from what I saw (other than me winning first place in the Virtual On tourney 8) ), is a game I was already pretty stoked for, but now has definitely reached "Most anticipated game of the year" status. The story is set in 1947 L.A., during a very corrupt era, in which you play a recently promoted detective named Cole Phelps. And when I say play detective, I REALLY mean you get to play as a detective. During the 30 minute demo, which I waited 2 hours to see, they showed all the aspects of how you play the game literally as a detective. Searching for clues, investigation, interrogation of suspects, case notes, and so on. The body & facial expressions during the gameplay are absolutely stunning, especially when you are trying to figure out if they lied or not. Getting the info wrong can make the case take longer to solve, and getting it right just helps solve it much quicker. I also liked how, since you have an in-game partner, you have the option of having him drive directly to the crime scene and skipping ahead or you driving yourself there for the whole experience.

The look and feel of the game is mind blowing. As a huge huge fan of Film Noir movies, this game exceeded all my expectations. The dialog, the music, the look. Everything felt right, and this was only from a 30 minute demo of the game of one minor case. There's still a huge overarching story to play, as well as what looks like many many cases to solve, cases that are actually from the police files from that era. From what they said, the research that went into this game is very in depth, and it definitely shows. This demo was 100% worth the wait to see, and I am now looking forward to this game more than any other coming out. Way to go, Rockstar. Way to go!

For more info on the game: L.A. Noire

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:17:40 PM
Brilliant story with serious western themes, amazing graphics and realism, and a plot by Rockstar, who employs some of the greatest gaming writers this generation.

Honestly, I don't think this topic will have alot of replies, considering none of the characters are KAWAII DEZU DEZU. =P But this is one of my most antecipated games of the year. All of it seems absolutely brilliant. This goes beyond the stereotypical cop shows we have now, and delves deeper into a policeman's life. Getting to experience all police ranks and sections, I think it's a great idea, actually having some realism to it all instead of being one guy who does everything in a flashy way, ala CSI. Most of all, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE games that take place in this age. Sucks about the basic human rights and no technology, but for the technological designs, fashion and music alone, I'd give my left testicle to live there. Everything seems absolutely amazing.

Every single time I keep believing that Rockstar is probably the greatest game developer in our days. Every single experience they deliver completely defies all expectations, and keeps getting better, better and better. Red Dead Redemption wowed me in ways I never expected. I seriously believe LA Noire will be even better.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 03:41:44 PM
I'm interested... or rather I would be, if not for the fact I can't see any PC logo on the main site.
No PC release, I'm a bit less interested.
Unless it's there and I'm just [tornado fang]ing blind.

Never the less, it look awesome.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 04:02:46 PM
Sorry. Console only.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 04:33:38 PM
I've been keeping my eye on this one for a while already. I'm just hoping that it can keep up the pace of the game throughout the whole thing and not lose any steam.