The 2010 New York Comic Con Experience

Protoman Blues · 5403

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
on: October 11, 2010, 01:41:22 AM

This is just a quick post to make the topic. There will be much more information to come. Needless to say, it was one of the best weekends ever.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:51:14 AM
Enjoy your time at the NYC Comicon, maan, I wish I could go. Here's a BIIIG question for you: do Comicons change location yearly depending on the state it's in?

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 02:22:33 AM
I don't think so.

This year was my first Comic Con. So it was also the biggest con I've been to. It was pretty crazy. Not so much Friday and Sunday, but Saturday was a madhouse. But I did enjoy walking around the show floor, checking out all the shops and the cosplayers.

But Capcom's goods were the main draw. Seeing the MvC3 reveals and the Legends 3 info in person were incredible experiences. Hell, just being around so many fans at once is fun. And I finally got to meet a couple more RPMers in the process. Sorry we couldn't hang more, kinda got lost in the aether.

I have a sore throat and blisters on my feet. But it was all worth it.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:27:51 AM
It was AWESOME meeting you all!  Sad we couldn't hang out longer, but my brother needed to get started on the trip home early (he's a trucker).  After meeting Inafune, we pretty much just went to the BanDai booth and that was it.

Copy/paste from the "Post Pictures Of Yourself" thread:

Myself and thy sexcellent PB at ComicCon.

It was funny watching everyone react to how large my hands are.  I'm not kidding when I talk about B button woes in MM10, folks. :P

Next, me hunching down with Mr. Inafune himself.

Figured he was probably sick of all us weirdos touching him, though I had to at least shake his hand before I left.

Lastly, besides the inflatable MMU lance and expected signatured items (MMXOCW, L3 poster, and thanks to PB, RPM's current front-page pic), I also picked up a few souvenirs at the BanDai booth:

Figures are random, and though boxed as "MegaMan" and not "Rockman", nearly all other text on the packaging appears Japanese.  Bass and the E-Tank are awesomeness, although to be honest I'd have traded X for a Roll if I could (I have a few X armor kits, but no toys of Roll).

Ah well, all the more reason for me to keep an eye on the Kotobukiya Roll.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Canticleer Blues

• Never enough Blues fans
  • Net Navi
  • Looking beyond the horizon...
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 02:34:57 AM
Comic Con was AWESOME!  :D  Seriously. it was so great.  The show was huge; there was so much going on.  :)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:39:31 AM
I just wish I'd thought to get a group shot of all of us after the Capcom panel... O:<

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 02:58:23 AM
Aw man, yeah I didn't even think of that.

I'll upload pictures tomorrow.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 03:56:32 AM
PB gets to go to all the cool places. I must live vicariously through him.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 08:43:22 AM
PB gets to go to all the cool places. I must live vicariously through him.

Vicariously PB living can be fun at times, but sometimes it can be precarious or tenacious, or even notorious! Mostly though, it's just Mango Lemondous!

Anyway, pics are going to take a bit because I have to sort through them and all that happy nonsense. However, from what remains of my energy, I shall tell you about my experiences. Needless to say, I had been waiting for the Comic Con for a year, and it met every one of my expectations, and more. Despite the free 3 day pass I got for the last Comic Con, this was easily the best one I've ever been too. This was the first one in which I took the time to sit in on panels, spend some hard earned money on art & figures, and really just soak it all in. It was so much to soak in that I was actually overwhelmed by it. There was just SO. MUCH. to do that I didn't even get to do it all due to lack of time. I guess the best thing to do would be to run down the days...

-Friday

Ninja Lou, SexyWil & I got there about 2 hours before the Comic Con actually opened, got sandwiches, and waited. We did pretty good line wise. Friday was the least crowded day due to people still being in work & school. Heh, this was kinda sad because Friday had the majority of panels that I wanted to see, so the least crowded day to walk around the floor was the primary day in which I could not. Accursed irony.

The first thing I did was make a bolt for Artist Alley cause I had planned to get some sketches for both me and my friend. Shane Davis sketched a quick Dex-Starr for me for free, so I was happy about that. Then came the first panel that day, which was one of the ones I was most excited about, and that was the Spotlight of Geoff Johns, my current favorite Comic Book writer and the genius behind the current Green Lantern Universe. It was spec-[tornado fang]ing-tacular. He seems like the kind of guy you'd just love to hang out with, play some Halo with (yes he plays Halo XD), and have a good laugh with as he has a really awesome sense of humor. So that was a tremendous treat for me. Then I got a small break to actually check out the showroom floor. Got my MMU Arthur Lance, got to try out Donkey Kong Country Returns (which, by the way, [tornado fang]ing rocks), and then pretty much walked around a bit more before heading down to the panels for the rest of the night. Oh, but before I went down to the MVC3 panel, on my way down I bumped into S-Kill himself and got to talk with him for a bit. It was cool that he remembered me and that we got to talk again, although briefly. He seriously is such a cool guy to just talk with and hang out with.

The Marvel vs. Capcom 3 panel was awesome, especially since I cut the line which Lou was merrily waiting on (thanx buddy). The crowded erupted in cheers as Arthur was announced, and it was overall such an awesome scene. Last came the Venture Bros. panel, which was another one I was greatly looking forward to. It did NOT disappoint, and the phrase, "BOOM! YUMMY!" uttered in Shore Leave's voice will be engraved in my mind for quite some time. Thus ended Friday.

-Saturday

EASILY the most heavily crowded day of the Con, to the point where my one friend literally stuck to Artist Alley & the panels because he just couldn't deal with trying to walk around in there. I don't blame him.

So my first stop was once again Artist Alley cause I had just bought a new sketchbook and it needed some drawings. I pretty much spent the first third of the day in Artist Alley getting sketches, then heading back to the DC booth in the showroom to get a few more sketches. Due to this, I actually missed out on a few panels I really wanted to check out. However, looking at my sketches, it was WELL, WELL worth it. During some sketch time I got to walk around the floor a tad bit more and check out more booths. They were really nice. Actually, my final sketch before heading down to the panels was actually of Blues from the Archie Comic guys doing the new MM comic. This made PB super duper happy!

The first panel of the night was the Green Lantern panel, which was REALLY packed with a super long line I managed to cut because a friend of Lou's, who I know also, just happened to be in the front of the line. Damn, I'm lucky! Anyway, that panel was really awesome, with some nice reveals for future issues that I cannot wait for. From this panel, I decided to head to the Anime Festival Artist Alley (they had two separate Artist Alley's for Comics & Anime), and I managed to find this really, really, REALLY nice Zone Of The Enders 2 art from this artist. I bought it as soon as I saw it, and I talked with her & her friend at their table. They were both really nice and we had a good conversation.

Finally, I got to my last panel of the night, the panel for Disney's Epic Mickey. Warren was just awesome, and quite frankly, the game is probably the best looking game I've ever seen on the Wii. It looks breathtaking, and when Warren tells you that this game has "the best soundtrack I've ever heard in a video game," well that just gets me super-duper psyched.

-Sunday

Another early day as the all important Capcom panel & RPM meet up was today. However, before that, I got a chance to go play some Kirby's Epic Yarn & Goldeneye Wii. Both were freakin awesome. But then, down to the Capcom panel, which I was first in line for. The Capcom panel, as you well know, was all kinds of awesome with the reveals and everything. Although it was kinda lost in the MML3 hype, one note that got the crowd very interested was the MMU note that Non-Capcom characters were going to be playable in this game. That seriously opens up the door for a lot of guest appearances.

And thus the Capcom panel was over. The RPM meet-up was short, but very enjoyable. Alas, it was a shame we couldn't hang out a bit more, but I had a friend to go meet and just so much more to do at the Con. It was back to Artist Alley to see about some more sketches, then back to the DC Booth to get a possible sketch from Ivan Reis, the guy who drew GL & Blackest Night (I love his work). Sadly he didn't have time for a quick, free sketch, but I got his autograph at least. Due to this chance, I had to miss the Inafune signing (if I hadn't have already gotten a pic with him & a signature from him before, I wouldn't have missed it). Thankfully Hypershell & his big bro managed to get another pic signed for the front page of RPM.

Finally it was time for some more purchases, some final sketches, and ultimately it was time to go. By the end of the Con, I was actually happy it was over due to being pretty exhausted & pretty sore from all the walking & line waiting I did for literally 3 days straight (or more 2 and a half). Also I was glad it was over because I spent SO. MUCH. MONEY. 

In the long run, this was one of the best weekends ever. I had a ton of fun and I am looking forward to it next year. I must say, the combination of the Comic Con & the Anime Festival is both fantastic and bad at the same time. It's fantastic because of the price as well as all the stuff there is to see and do. There is so much that there should be something for everyone. Haha, it's also the reason why it's bad. There's actually SO much to do that you wind up missing out on stuff because other stuff is going on. LoL, that and the sheer amount of people. Ultimately though, I prefer it combined and might even spend another $100 bucks for the VIP pass next year (if I have a decent job XD)

-Pics to come tomorrow!

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 07:42:33 PM
Alright, time for some pics.

First picture I got all weekend was this Bridget. She glomped me big time, both Friday and Saturday. She was with a Jam I didn't get a picture of.

Every other picture from Friday was at the MvC3 panel. No reason to post them; there's better pictures on line already. My friend did get video of the reveals. There's probably versions of that on Youtube. You have to hear the uproar that Arthur got.

On Saturday, we got a picture with Seth Killian. He's an awesome guy. I shoulda bugged him about X9 again.

Right after we were done with Seth, this Trigger cosplayer came by. His costume is incredible.

I don't know what this thing is, but it looks neat, and I got a hug from it.

A very cute Rei Ayanami.

An awesome Batman troupe; Harley, Riddler, Penguin, and Bane.

Aqua and friend. I was hoping to see more Birth By Sleep cosplays, but I only saw this and a Terra.

Got this autograph from the guys writing the new Mega Man Archie comic.

Dawn of the Final Day. We got on line for the Capcom panel right away. After waiting in another panel and coming back out, PB was first on line, and we were right behind him. During that time, all of Capcom's special guests were outside too. That's Inafune on the left, but I couldn't quite get a good shot of him. Got a nice view of Ryota Niitsuma, though.

I thought it was cute that at the MvC3 panel, when Niitsuma came on stage, I shouted "Nii-san!" I am cosplaying as Jin, after all.

After the Capcom Panel, we went to the Capcom booth upstairs to wait in line for an Inafune signing. A couple feet behind me was this Hit Girl.

A little while after, this Poison showed up. Holy [parasitic bomb], this might be my favorite cosplay I saw the entire show. My other friend is REALLY going to regret not going once I show him this.

Me and Inafune and my now signed MMXOCW. My friend was right behind me. He got Legends 2 signed, likely doubling its value.

This CC and Lelouche were being interviewed by one of the local news stations. We walked behind them at one point, but that never showed up in the report later last night.

There was no official showing by ASW. But NihonAuctions was holding a tournament for both Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. There was a lack of BB characters the entire show. We felt like the only ones. But on the final day, we ran into a few more. I believe the Hazama was actually in the tournament. He didn't win, though.

Also at NihonAuctions was this Soi Fon. She and the Litchi took turns holding up the match cards during the finals.

While the finals were going on, these guys showed up. The Navi was actually on stilts. Musta been a pain moving around like that.

This was actually the first and last thing I saw at the Javits Center. You're seeing that right, it's a Boba Fett playing the accordion.

On one final note, my costume wasn't complete. I had actually made a gag prop, but opted not to take it to the con. It woulda got destroyed in a heartbeat. It's a box Ice Car. Here's the front, complete with Niisan logo. That's not a typo. And here's the back. If it looks cheap and done in a day, then I know I did a good job.

Offline slystrife

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 05:54:19 AM
Heh, if you look in pic of the Bridget, Sato... the first Hazama cosplayer we saw is in there.

Needless to say my bro was pretty happy that I got Legends 2 autographed...

Props to you PB for liking Zone of the Enders, which is another series that will hopefully get a 3rd installment somewhere down the line.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 06:45:00 AM
Heh, if you look in pic of the Bridget, Sato... the first Hazama cosplayer we saw is in there.

Oh yeah, look at that.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 06:15:55 AM
Wow, sounds like the con was a blast, PB.

..From this panel, I decided to head to the Anime Festival Artist Alley (they had two separate Artist Alley's for Comics & Anime), and I managed to find this really, really, REALLY nice Zone Of The Enders 2 art from this artist. I bought it as soon as I saw it, and I talked with her & her friend at their table. They were both really nice and we had a good conversation.

From looking at her deviantART, I am highly impressed with her skill as an artist.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 06:23:22 AM
Actually, I just found out she's the one who did that MEGAMAN MARVEL poster thing.