Super Smash Bros. Thread

Akamaru · 659300

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5050 on: September 24, 2014, 03:39:08 PM
I liked Subspace Emissary. :(

Me too.

Also, you don't need cut scenes for SSE. They were awesome, and not having them because of Youtube is really childish and short sighted, but they aren't needed either. It would work fine without them. See also Smash Run.

Imagine SSE as it was in the Maze level, all inter-connected. And you could get the move changes like in this game to equip. Get different items that let you unlock certain doors, and break certain blocks, used to cut off progression. Items to upgrade party slots and all this other stuff.

You got yourself a Super Smash Metroid now. I would be flipping out for something like that.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5051 on: September 27, 2014, 11:33:32 PM
LESS THAN A WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!  8)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #5052 on: October 03, 2014, 02:02:43 AM
Tomorrow's the day, in the meantime head over to the eShop and download the update file they put out.

It'll be easier to do it now instead of waiting till tomorrow.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #5053 on: October 03, 2014, 05:45:19 PM
So with my Smash I got the Prima guide for it. It was only $2 for a digital copy, I figured why not? Plus I can finally figure out those unlock requirements.

Except one of them still doesn't make sense. It claims DH unlocks after 15 Classic runs. I got him way before that number, played 0 multiplayer matches prior, and did not yet have Game and Watch who unlocks at 10 Classics. People elsewhere have claimed 8 for DH, and that seems more likely.

If you don't want to do VS matches, have fun grinding trophies and custom equipment.

Oh, loving the game by the way. I better if I played it for 8 hours straight last night.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #5054 on: October 03, 2014, 06:05:47 PM
I seem to remember Prima guides othen get information wrong in some way. :\

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #5055 on: October 03, 2014, 07:25:11 PM
I got DH to unlock after clearing Classic with 8 different characters (and remember, the 3 types of Mii Fighters count as 3 separate characters). Also I was told that you needed to clear Classic with Marth to unlock Lucina, but that didn't happen until I did so with Robin.

Also a tip: if you fail to unlock a character after going through Classic, just do a quick round of Smash and they're guaranteed to appear after every round until you win. This is especially useful if you need to use a character you're bad with to unlock the battle, cause you can switch to one you're great with and try again.

I'm sure everyone already knew this though, lol

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #5056 on: October 03, 2014, 09:59:57 PM
Also I was told that you needed to clear Classic with Marth to unlock Lucina, but that didn't happen until I did so with Robin.

That's because unlocks stack; you can fulfill the requirements for multiple characters at the same time, and some take priority over others. In fact, after getting the first character, you can just do a VS match and unlock the next character in line.

Do you remember who you unlocked with Marth?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #5057 on: October 03, 2014, 10:16:03 PM

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5058 on: October 03, 2014, 11:51:18 PM
Loving every minute of this so far. Still need to unlock me some Dr. Mario!!  8D

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #5059 on: October 04, 2014, 01:15:57 AM
That's because unlocks stack; you can fulfill the requirements for multiple characters at the same time, and some take priority over others. In fact, after getting the first character, you can just do a VS match and unlock the next character in line.

Do you remember who you unlocked with Marth?
Jigglypuff. I'd thought she required clearing Classic on 7.0 or higher but I hadn't done that yet.

Or maybe I did I dunno lol

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5060 on: October 04, 2014, 02:17:27 AM
Finally got my copy.

I don't like how they put the Club Nintendo code on the inside of the cover art like they did. That's dumb.

EDIT: Oh holy [tornado fang] Lucina's AI is actually rather agressive in her challenger fight.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5061 on: October 04, 2014, 03:09:24 AM
All I'm missing are ROB, Dr. Mario, and Mr. Game & Watch!

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5062 on: October 04, 2014, 03:11:54 AM
I never noticed it in the demo but the game has a bad tendency to zoom WAYYY OUT in places.

I lost a smash run match because the darkness of Unova Pokemon League mixed with me playing as Lucina resulted in not being able to find where the [tornado fang] I was or what I was hitting.

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #5063 on: October 04, 2014, 03:16:37 AM
Hmm... I wonder if there are more outfits to unlock for mii fighters.

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #5064 on: October 04, 2014, 04:30:45 AM
Well, I only got a brief time in today myself, but I pretty early got a "dragon costume" for the Mii Gunner.

I never noticed it in the demo but the game has a bad tendency to zoom WAYYY OUT in places.

I lost a smash run match because the darkness of Unova Pokemon League mixed with me playing as Lucina resulted in not being able to find where the [tornado fang] I was or what I was hitting.
I've noticed that too, I guess because Battlefield is a relatively compact stage?  Yeah, as awesome as this game is, I'm waiting for the WiiU one all the more eagerly.  The zoom-outs make it difficult to learn new fighters, because you can barely tell what the heck is going on.

I liked Subspace Emissary. :(
I never understood why people [sonic slicer] about SSE.  There's no reason you're required to play it, but I thought it was pretty darn awesome.  Not to mention 2 player co-op adventures aren't exactly something I'd take for granted.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #5065 on: October 04, 2014, 04:51:49 AM
Well to name several I would say certain sections forcing you to play characters you don't want to play as or are not good at, certain people may not like certain platforming sections, many missed enemy opertunities (how the hell weren't there Kirby enemies in a game made by Sakurai, I want Scarfies dammit), fighting Dubor or whatever that boss was that tried to kill Lucas and Pokemon Trainer twice in a row becuase beating the boss twice in a row totally proves you can beat it right?, fighting some bosses (ie Rayquaza for example) making no sense (Seriously I think they could have chose a move malevolent or volatile Legendary than Rayquaza), The Great [tornado fang]ing Maze, the multiplayer of it isn't really polished which I find surprising for a 'party game' like Smash, and Sonic showing up at the last minute since he was a last minute addition and thus had no interactions with anyone and as a result he seemed like a poorly written Dues Ex Machina.

I think that's why people rag on it, but there could be more reasons. I felt it was awesome when it first came out, but I don't think it will age well.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #5066 on: October 04, 2014, 05:53:41 AM
Smash Bros isn't a game that exists to make sense, so I have absolutely no issue with Rayquaza.  That's like the boss equivalent to the playable Ridley discussion.

Some areas being more or less enjoyable than others, ditto for characters, that's all basically par for the course with a game of that scope.  The maze was a little tedious but at no point did I feel that SSE detracted from the package.

Also, more to the point with the characters, SSE may limit your characters but the flipside is that you have a reason to familiarize yourself with those characters you might otherwise overlook.  If it wasn't for that I probably never would have enjoyed the likes of Snake and (dare I say) Lucario as much as I did.  And even establishing just how badly I suck as Dedede is at least...educational.

I think SSE has aged enough that people can now draw what conclusions they will on that one, and honestly none of the complaints I've heard are anything that people weren't saying since launch.  I guess part of this will depend on what game modes are in the WiiU Smash Bros., but I sense that SSE is going to remain unique in terms of the series' offerings, if nothing else.  And I for one enjoyed it.  Yeah, I'd have liked to see Sonic earlier, but that's what replays are for.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5067 on: October 04, 2014, 06:17:10 AM
I liked SSE because it let made me try characters I would've otherwise probably never played. When it comes to Smash 4 I have a few characters I'm already good or at least competent with (Mario, Marth, Peach, Zelda, etc.) along with Megaman from Demo experience. I have others I'm not so good with, but for the most part I don't really feel compelled to play new characters simply because I don't know how they'll work out (Though challenges are helping with that.)

For example, in the time I've played so far I've still got Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Shulk, Greninja and Miis to try out and I've still yet to actually use Palutena, Robin or Pac-Man in any real fights.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5068 on: October 04, 2014, 06:18:39 AM
I really like all the little things put into this game.

Also, I really like Roy!!!  8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5069 on: October 04, 2014, 06:19:58 AM
Soooooooooooooooooo...

Anyone wanna test out the Online Play?  [eyebrow]

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #5070 on: October 04, 2014, 07:10:47 AM
If I do it, I gets a whuppin'....
... I do it.

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #5071 on: October 04, 2014, 07:16:45 AM
Man, Classic on 9.0 is kinda nasty. Just because of Master Core. You really have to take the time to learn his moves so you can react to them and dodge correctly. And you can't afford screwups, cause they'll get you killed and you're locked at 2 stocks. I managed to beat 9.0 in 2 tries somehow, though.

Jigglypuff. I'd thought she required clearing Classic on 7.0 or higher but I hadn't done that yet.

Or maybe I did I dunno lol

Nope the actual way to get her is to have 30 pieces of equipment. And I'd guess cause she takes the most VS matches she trumps everything. I think she replaced Wario for me.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #5072 on: October 04, 2014, 07:21:50 AM
If I do it, I gets a whuppin'....
... I do it.

Sapph: Come for RPM, stay for Smash Bros.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5073 on: October 04, 2014, 07:22:02 AM
I think characters must just have multiple unlock requirements in addition to the "Beat Classic" or "Play X amount of Vs. Matches."

I got Lucina first mainly because I played as Marth to start out with, and Falco wasn't unlocked until I beat Smash run the first time probably because his unlock requirement of Beating Classic once as any character was met.

I do love how they've made Jigglypuff typically the last character unlocked since Brawl after her being typically the first to unlock in the first two games. It was nice of them to change things up.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5074 on: October 04, 2014, 08:17:50 AM
The only character I have yet to unlock is R.O.B. but he should be next. Guys... you have no idea how happy I am that Dr. Mario is back. I didn't realize how much I really missed him. No FLUDD, got my Capsule action, and one of his taunts is HIM PATTING HIMSELF ON THE BACK!  8D

Also, tried out Robin today. I really like her a lot. Definitely my type of Swordfighter.