Scribblenauts - oh [parasitic bomb] this is amazing

Align · 3091

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Unimpressive trailer, read stories instead
This could potentially be part of the E3 thread(s) but it deserves special mention.
1:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wondering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a [tornado fang]ing doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the [tornado fang]? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were [tornado fang]ing dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a [tornado fang]ing DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the [parasitic bomb] out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I [tornado fang]ing TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL [chameleon sting]ing ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy [tornado fang]ing [parasitic bomb].

2:
Seriously... numerous people put this to test, and they all came back blown away at the game's ability to render anything from scuba tanks, to unicorns, to Cthulhu, to the Internet meme keyboard cat. It was equally impressive that beyond just summoning anything I could think of, that these objects or creatures then worked with the environment in ways that made sense. Summoning Cthulhu and a wyvern resulted in a battle to the death, while summoning objects like wings allowed my character to soar and reach objects that would otherwise be unobtainable since they were up high (alternatively I could have probably summoned a ladder to reach higher objects).

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 04:24:48 PM
Yeah, I'm thrilled whenever I think of this game. There are literally tons of hilariously awesome things you can do with this game and more just keeps coming in on it, making the deal even sweeter.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 04:27:02 PM
Wait, so the possibilities with this game is potentially limitless?
Wow, this is like a first...
Must know more!

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 04:27:14 PM
hi Wrote to Life. <3

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:35:26 PM
[tornado fang]ing awesome!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:46:28 PM
More info:

Played it on the show floor.

Other internet memes present inside the game include "LOL WUT" and "Longcat".

LOL WUT drops the famous smiling lima bean onto the stage. He is useless. Longcat drops into the stage inside a cloud and grows tall then shrinks back into the cloud.

The game has to be one of my DS games of the show.

Gamespot Preview

The Nintendo DS is rife with platforming games, but not a single one is like Scribblenauts. In this game, you guide a cute kid named Maxwell throughout a world, which consists of 220 increasingly difficult levels. The one common theme that draws all of these levels together is the way that you conquer the obstacles that lie before you: think of a solution, type it out on the touch screen, and that object will appear before you, ready to be used. With tens of thousands of objects in the game, it's awfully hard to think of something that the game doesn't have in it (provided you're not thinking of such an abstract concept as communism).

Who's Making This Game: Scribblenauts is being developed by 5th Cell, a studio with a history of charming and creativity-driven DS games. The company most recently brought us Lock's Quest, but before that it made Drawn to Life, a platformer in which you actually drew your main character. So it's a team with a good track record for taking interesting ideas for how to use the DS touch screen and putting them into action.

What the Game Looks Like: It's 2D platformer with a rough, hand-drawn art style, but a style that's also cute and appealing at the same time. It's quite similar to the look of Drawn to Life. The objects that you call into the world aren't terribly detailed, but with the sheer number of them stored in the system, that's entirely understandable.

What There Is to Do: The game is split into traditional platforming levels and smaller, more deliberate puzzles. In the puzzles, you're given a quandary and told to find a solution by using objects that you think of on your own. One example that we saw put the player on one side of a small island, and a star (your goal) on the other side beyond a tall wall. The easiest solution is to write the word jetpack, have it appear, pick it up, and attach it to Maxwell and let him fly over the wall. But if you want to get more creative, you can spawn a dolphin into the water, a diving helmet for Maxwell, and ride the friendly dolphin under the island to the other side.

The platforming levels are more traditional 2D, run-and-jump fare. You might encounter a wall too high for Maxwell to leap over, so a quick solution would be to spawn a ladder and climb it. If you reach a gap too wide to leap across, you can simply spawn a plank of wood to cover it up. These sound easy, but some of the later levels that we saw were pretty nasty. The difficulty definitely ramps up as the game goes on. At one point, we encountered a level with deadly sharks in the water between you and your goal. It took us a few tries to figure out the best solution as we continued to get eaten over and over, before realizing those same dolphins that we used earlier would actually fight the sharks on our behalf. That, or you could just drop a toaster in the water and electrocute them to death.

Adding more replay value is the fact that you can return to all of the levels that you've beaten to edit them with the level-editing tool, and replay them in an advanced difficulty mode that remembers which objects you used last time and prohibits you from using them again.

How the Game Is Played: Every bit of movement is done with the touch screen. You tap where you want Maxwell to go, and he'll automatically jump over small obstacles and gaps. You punch in letters with the stylus to write objects, and then drag and drop them wherever you want them to go. In fact, the only buttons that you use are on the directional pad, which is for moving the camera to scope out terrain that you haven't reached yet.

What They Say: The official Web site asks, "What if anything you could think of could be used to help you in a video game?"

What We Say: Well, it obviously doesn't have everything you can think of, but it's sure close. All sorts of things from shark repellent to the specter of death are in there for you to type up, call into the world, and use for solving puzzles and traversing over 2D platforming environments. We really enjoyed what we played of Scribblenauts. You can expect to see more on the game in the very near future

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 04:52:09 PM
Man, reading that review just totally wetted my appetite to play this...
And the addition of internet memes is a definite plus. XD

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 05:50:25 PM
So only God can defeat the Kraken... XD
Awesome... This game is awesome!

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 01:10:46 AM
Oh God! this a must play for me!

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 08:23:40 AM
Seriously, absolute must buy.

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 08:57:09 AM
I'm sure as hell going to buy this now.

God Vs the Kraken sold me.

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 10:04:22 PM
Woah, this game sounds... incredible. Instant buy.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 10:25:41 PM
Too bad they couldn't summon Obama.  8D

But in any case, this game is MINE.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 10:23:37 AM
Holy [tornado fang]ing [parasitic bomb]...

I thought this thread was a joke thread, but I clicked and read and watched that God vs Kraken.

Day [chameleon sting]ing one i'm buying this game!

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 05:53:50 PM
shark repellent
This and that video just guaranteed an instabuy XD