Mighty No. 9

Nexus · 260225

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #250 on: September 06, 2013, 02:29:01 AM
Yea but people like me will probably be left out when it comes to the artbook. :|

The soundtrack could probably be sold at Bandcamp or something.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #251 on: September 06, 2013, 02:46:52 AM
Quoted from Capcom Unity mods TwiGGy and Espiownage:
<i>- Lastly, I think that the Kickstarter proves that Inafune has 26k fans (at this time) and everything else is speculation, hypothetically speaking.</i>

Tom was simply pointing out that the Kickstarter really shows that people support Inafune more than anything. The money is going to him and his project afterall. No one is going to deny the similararities between Mighty No. 9 and Mega Man, but based on the data that the kickstarter provides, the logical conclusion to come to is that those 26k are supporting Inafune and his idea, not Mega Man. (and by extension, Capcom)

Mighty no. 9's kickstarter proves nothing about sales.  Mighty no. 9 has not sold a single copy (and won't until 2015 when it's estimated to release), so there is no data to go off of.

The success of the project can be attributed to Inafune's name. This kickstarter proves that backers are supporting Inafune and not so much Mega Man.

Not saying everyone is like this, but with Kickstarter, nobody is actually purchasing the game, so you don't know the intentions of the people backing it.  When someone purchases a game, the intent is pretty clear.

Except there's a count for every pledge tier...

Mighty No. 9 captures the gameplay and general aesthetic of a Mega Man game, but it's not and never will be a Mega Man game. So far, it looks fantastic, but it's not something that I see will satisfy my urge to play a new Mega Man game. Only a new Mega Man game can do that.

Good grief...

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #252 on: September 06, 2013, 03:05:30 AM
[tornado fang], these people aren't seeing the picture clearly enough. It's not like how BioShock and System Shock 2 are apples and oranges in terms of gameplay (the former being more lenient towards an FPS than an RPG), or in this case, Mega Man ZX to Demon's Crest. Inti-Creates staffers are working on this after all and they also worked on Mega Man 9 and 10 before, and they nailed the feel of the NES-era Mega Man games right.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #253 on: September 06, 2013, 03:09:48 AM
Inti-Creates staffers are working on this after all and they also worked on Mega Man 9 and 10 before, and they nailed the feel of the NES-era Mega Man games right.

I'm going to disagree on that, they got the graphics and music down but the gameplay just felt off. MM9 especially, the level design didn't really feel like classic megaman.

I'm mainly hyped for this game because it won't be a classic megaman game.

Offline Megamanx89

• idiot
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #254 on: September 06, 2013, 05:53:54 AM
I'd make a phallic/suggestive remark about the gatling dong right about now, but I don't to risk the ban hammer. '>.>

i was thinking the same thing, i found that gun of his in a suggestive area  >0<

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #255 on: September 06, 2013, 06:05:19 AM
I'm mainly hyped for this game because it won't be a classic megaman game.

Ironic as that sounds, that is a plus for Mighty No. 9. However, I actually fear that it will be <i>too</i> similar to classic. By similar, I don't mean awesome run, jump, and shoot action. Rather, I'm quite frankly sick of the "fight 8 bosses then fortress" formula. What Mega Man desperately needs is to stop being so predictable.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #256 on: September 06, 2013, 06:06:30 AM
Ironic as that sounds, that is a plus for Mighty No. 9. However, I actually fear that it will be <i>too</i> similar to classic. By similar, I don't mean awesome run, jump, and shoot action. Rather, I'm quite frankly sick of the "fight 8 bosses then fortress" formula. What Mega Man desperately needs is to stop being so predictable.

I'm glad its not another 8-bit thing.

The morphing thing is unique and could be used to make fun levels.

Honestly, I would like to see them do away with lives, make the levels harder but in a sense have no punishment for that. While also allowing for exit of a stage at any time instead of only after you've beaten it.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #257 on: September 06, 2013, 06:07:28 AM
I'm glad its not another 8-bit thing.

The morphing thing is unique and could be used to make fun levels.

Honestly, I would like to see them do away with lives.
You mean like a Kirby's Epic Yarn sort of thing?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #258 on: September 06, 2013, 06:08:55 AM
Kind of, yes.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #259 on: September 06, 2013, 07:02:34 AM
http://www.at7addak.com/article/s/1009713190

Well of COURSE he's gonna root for his new surrogate Mega Man...

That's like asking Nintendo: "WHO'S STRONGER, SAMUS OR MASTER CHIEF"

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #260 on: September 06, 2013, 07:08:57 AM
Well he might be right!

Offline kosmos

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #261 on: September 06, 2013, 12:20:14 PM
In case someone cares, the first Mighty No.9 podcast will be up in some hours.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #262 on: September 06, 2013, 06:41:47 PM
The success of the project can be attributed to Inafune's name. This kickstarter proves that backers are supporting Inafune and not so much Mega Man.

Funny how I don't see as much support for the likes of Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, then. Inafune's name certainly isn't enough to cover up the stench of Spark Unlimited (Legendary, Lost Planet 3) and Team Ninja [Dog] that is keeping many people at bay. Me, included. 8D

I mean, I'll be honest. If circumstances had led Inafune to select the likes of say, Double Helix over Inti? I probably wouldn't have been as interested as I am now. Especially with no game footage to help convince me to invest. It was definitely seeing Inafune AND Inti + other veteran Rockman names in the mix that got me to pledge my $99 then $250 bucks, even without seeing a second of in-game footage.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #263 on: September 06, 2013, 08:56:01 PM
Exactly. I love the guy, but I don't think of him as King Midas or something. I've yet to care about Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Soul Sacrifice, etc.

These Capcom mods are trying reeally hard to pretend that these past 3 years of no Mega Man didn't happen, or that fans forgot about Legends 3, or that fans aren't extremely disappointed that <i>nothing</i> has happened for his 25th (again, look at Year of Luigi: comics, arrange soundtracks, figurines, re-re-re-rereleases, fangames, shovelware, and other generic merchandising don't cut it <i>at all</i>).

If Mighty No. 9 was rebranded as a "new series" for the Mega Man franchise, these Capcom mods would sure as hell sing praises of how true to the Mega Man spirit Mighty No. 9 is. It's clear as night and day these mods are butthurt they aren't able to get a slice of the pie.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #264 on: September 06, 2013, 11:14:15 PM
Exactly. I love the guy, but I don't think of him as King Midas or something. I've yet to care about Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Soul Sacrifice, etc.

These Capcom mods are trying reeally hard to pretend that these past 3 years of no Mega Man didn't happen, or that fans forgot about Legends 3, or that fans aren't extremely disappointed that <i>nothing</i> has happened for his 25th (again, look at Year of Luigi: comics, arrange soundtracks, figurines, re-re-re-rereleases, fangames, shovelware, and other generic merchandising don't cut it <i>at all</i>).

If Mighty No. 9 was rebranded as a "new series" for the Mega Man franchise, these Capcom mods would sure as hell sing praises of how true to the Mega Man spirit Mighty No. 9 is. It's clear as night and day these mods are butthurt they aren't able to get a slice of the pie.

In the end, this is just another case of bad PR. These mods at Capcom-Unity aren't involved with any of the decision-making that the "Top Men" are involved with, so the most they do is just annoy fans in the same way that a certain infamous tweet from CapcomEU's twitter did... 8D

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #265 on: September 07, 2013, 12:37:42 AM
In case someone cares, the first Mighty No.9 podcast will be up in some hours.

I care. Though I'll likely have to gather the information from a summary later.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #266 on: September 07, 2013, 01:36:20 AM
Will the podcast be up on the Kickstarter page?

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #267 on: September 07, 2013, 02:15:53 AM
Will the podcast be up on the Kickstarter page?

Yes~

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline SoloUnit315

• Net Navi
  • M-308 Gun Master
    • View Profile
Reply #268 on: September 07, 2013, 02:49:37 AM
It would appear that people on the devroom want Capcom to emulate the success of Inafune's Mighty Number 9 for Legends 3. That really seems futile to me.

Sometimes being the bigger man means holding the bigger weapon!

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #269 on: September 07, 2013, 03:02:01 AM
Here's the thing, Capcom are set with one mind, and the fans are trying to correct that mindset by showing and saying to Capcom that this kind of fan support for Mighty No.9 could work for Legends 3 as well, but Capcom doesn't seem to agree about it just yet. A stubborn company, for sure. ^^;

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #270 on: September 07, 2013, 03:10:30 AM
It would appear that people on the devroom want Capcom to emulate the success of Inafune's Mighty Number 9 for Legends 3. That really seems futile to me.

As much as I want MML3, expecting it to come from Capcom is plain ignorance.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #271 on: September 07, 2013, 03:24:37 AM
I think we're not getting  a MM out of Capcom anytime soon. Possibly never again.
But you know, maybe Mighty No. 9 takes off. Would be cool. I'd endorse that.

Maybe Inafune can try and tell the story he originally had in mind for Mega Man.

Offline SoloUnit315

• Net Navi
  • M-308 Gun Master
    • View Profile
Reply #272 on: September 07, 2013, 03:31:10 AM
There's a difference between the Mighty Number 9 kickstarter and any kickstarter that Capcom would endeavor in. Passion.

Mighty Number 9 support isn't solely driven by the promise of a nostalgic game that's fun to play, but also a "Go Inafune, Go!" rally of mind. He left a company that made his idea possible because he was unsatisfied with what it became and how it was being handled, to return to his roots with no promise of success because he seemingly genuinely cares about the opinions of his fans. Two anticipated title cancelations later, Capcom is being made the villain and Inafune, the heart warming hero that is driven by a passion for something other than the dollar. The majority trust Inafune and believe him sincere, so his kickstarter is massively successful.

Capcom has the minority on this, and after recent and distant let downs, has none of the same trust. The majority of fans will not part with hard earned money in any volume for another potential flop, which is becoming expected of them rather than a conceived possibility. And let's be honest here, the campaign for MML3 was lackluster and half hearted at best. Advertising was clearly targeted towards pre existing fans of a game duo released many years before the proposition of this. To say it didn't have enough support was no fault of anyone but themselves. What they should have done, if they were at all serious, was rerender and redistribute the original two as either DLC or hard copy (which was done on the PSP but only in Japan, imagine that) to bring everyone up to speed and peak interest into a sequel without simply dropping it from out of nowhere which obviously alienates a massive portion of the potential market.

Even indiscriminately advertising it with more effort, at a minimum could have drawn in a larger following. You have to spend money to make money, the effort wasn't there, and having fans place much of their insight into the development process is not only ludicrous, but the epitome of a lack of ingenuity and passion for what they were trying to create, giving the fans what they are SURE they want to see to play it safe not for creativity's sake or for faith in MML3 on the merit and pride of it's own creative legacy, giving it the feel that it was all about the mighty dollar rather than the fan.

And why not? They had gone beyond Inafune's wishes in the past, and had shown no shame in implementing Megaman's name in every idea regardless of how estranged. Everything revolving around the process was slap and haggard. I don't really see them as an "evil", I see them as a corporate entity. A corporate entity that is naturally in it for the money, naturally milks once respected titles for all they are worth, and naturally doesn't give a hot damn about the fans if they can make a buck.

It's always about money, but Mighty Number 9 seems to have a little more heart behind it.

Edit: Added some line breaks and paragraphs here and there.

Double edit: Heh, thanks... It... Didn't seem that long when I was writing it... Was a rather horrendous wall of text though.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 03:34:21 AM by VixyNyan »

Sometimes being the bigger man means holding the bigger weapon!

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #273 on: September 07, 2013, 04:42:25 AM
Hm, interesting edits, so many choices~

So cute~

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #274 on: September 07, 2013, 05:50:00 AM
We already got a R63 Beck eh? Interesting. :)