Offline IQ-0

• Ice Queen Zero
  • Resistance Member
  • Friendship Advisory - Magical Content
    • View Profile
    • 1CC Gaming
Reply #375 on: June 04, 2012, 06:03:29 AM
yeah, i guess it did sound silly.

In all honesty, they shoulda used the Select Button for that feature in Megaman 2 NES for when you run out of Crash Bombs or the offchance you run out of Bubble Lead and you'd be like "I'm [tornado fang]'d, so I'll kill myself now rather than wait to die anyway.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #376 on: June 05, 2012, 01:03:40 AM
I have updated the exe version only for right now. I am doing some testing/experiments with the bridges. The text being displayed on the screen in Ring Man stage is only temporary. It can be removed by pressing the Space Bar.

This is actually taking longer than I expected. Though it mainly has to do with all the values used for the objects for the bridges. A lot of the glitching was happening because of the objects being generated off screen. I had to limit it to only when the bridge objects were on the screen (in other words, overlapping the screen object).

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #377 on: June 05, 2012, 01:44:09 AM
An observation I've made while testing Ring Man stage on the original MMIV on Gameboy.
As your anim gif shows:

The bridge seems to divide itself up into a bg layer and a sprite. I think this is vital to prevent some collision issues. Imagine Mega man falling down as the bridge dissapears beneath him, and then you decide to immediately jump up in the path of the reforming bridge? At the moment in your engine, this forces Mega Man to glitch and get push out of the way.

But on MMIV the bridges work differently, I think the sections of bridge that reform are made so that if you do jump up while it reforms, Mega Man can temporarily pass through it without any pushing to the side or whatever. Its kinda hard to explain, maybe I'll show you on a stream or something.

Suffice to say, the solution to this, once perfected would also be ideal for making sure you never get glitch pushed to the side by Yoku Blocks too!

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #378 on: June 05, 2012, 03:08:08 PM
I think there is still a way to bypass your conditions. You've actually done it before with your previous engine. Remember these platforms?

You could originally pass through that collision line and only if your feet ever passed through it would you finally collide and stay ontop of the object. The same needs to be applied to the Bridge but perhaps add an extra line underneath. So instead of being able to pass through it from the bottom, you can only pass through it from the sides.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #379 on: June 05, 2012, 04:50:43 PM
Looking at how it works in the game...... The player seems to stop moving forwards X speed when he's over the reforming bridge. But the Y speed still seems to be in effect.

Also, I have yet to code 'jump up on to platforms' like that in my old engine. I'm not sure if I can do that now, but I can try. Just more work than needed, I guess. :P

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #380 on: June 05, 2012, 04:59:34 PM
Also, I have yet to code 'jump up on to platforms' like that in my old engine. I'm not sure if I can do that now, but I can try. Just more work than needed, I guess. :P

I think a little more work is required. I think its an ugly bit of programming that needs to be sorted. Not very proffessional if Mega man gets glitchy pushed around in certain places. I think that if you perfect the type of collision tile, jumping up through platforms style, it'll prevent future collision pushes too. Gameboy fixed that with Yoku Blocks too, unlike on NES, they always pushed you aside if they appeared right where you were. But on gameboy, you can stand or jump through them if you're already in its path when it appears.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #381 on: June 05, 2012, 05:32:27 PM
If memory serves, on Mega Man 9, there was a spot in Plug Man stage where you could stand below a yoku block, and not get pushed out. I wonder if there are any similar areas like that in previous NES MegaMan tiles where it shows he actually gets pushed out, just to compare.'
I want to say Heat Man stage had one somewhere. Though even then, their engine wasn't all that perfect. But I'm not sure about the later games like 4, 5, or 6, where the engine was more stable.

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #382 on: June 05, 2012, 06:44:21 PM
Um, I would like to interrupt but where could I get the palette from the Mega Man Mania game?

Although I'm aware that Yoku Man's game will have the same palette as the unreleased game, but I want to use it too since I would like to use N-Mario's engine when it's completed.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #383 on: June 05, 2012, 07:46:25 PM
Um, I would like to interrupt but where could I get the palette from the Mega Man Mania game?

MegaMan Mania was never 'officially' released at all, due to Capcom's lost source codes. So none of the colors we are using are official. They are merely guesses at what we see in the old screen shots and video trailers.

But if you want a look at the way I'm using, I'm starting my whites at 240,240,240, then I subtract either 40, 60, or 80 from 240 to get a desired effect. Although this is not true for the Super GB, or the GameBoy B&W colors. I think they actually subtract or add either 16 or 32 from each R G B color.

If you look at the screen shots of my engine in development, you'll see what I mean. ;)
Again, probably not accurate, but it does come out nice at the end. :)

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #384 on: June 05, 2012, 09:31:53 PM
MegaMan Mania was never 'officially' released at all, due to Capcom's lost source codes. So none of the colors we are using are official. They are merely guesses at what we see in the old screen shots and video trailers.

But if you want a look at the way I'm using, I'm starting my whites at 240,240,240, then I subtract either 40, 60, or 80 from 240 to get a desired effect. Although this is not true for the Super GB, or the GameBoy B&W colors. I think they actually subtract or add either 16 or 32 from each R G B color.

If you look at the screen shots of my engine in development, you'll see what I mean. ;)
Again, probably not accurate, but it does come out nice at the end. :)

Okay. So even though my sprites have NES colors, I can create a filter using your color coordinates on top of my sprites to get that Mega Man Mania-effect?

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #385 on: June 06, 2012, 08:49:03 AM
No filters or anything? Oh boy...

And I'm talking about editing the sprite colors using Photoshop, BTW.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #386 on: June 06, 2012, 12:08:47 PM
When coloring the sprites, why would you use the GB helmet instead of the NES one? That outline is rather unsightly.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #387 on: June 06, 2012, 02:08:33 PM
When coloring the sprites, why would you use the GB helmet instead of the NES one? That outline is rather unsightly.

Because he's done a pallete change rather than a sprite change, considering the original gameboy sprite has those black lines between his helmet and his face you can't delete them.

NMario has done it so that the game's pallete is divided into two sections.

1. Gameboy Pallete ----- Super Gameboy Pallete (<---- Recolour of the Grayscale)
2. GBA Pallete ------ NES Pallete (<---- Recolour of the GBA colour pallete)

He's simply replacing the existing colours of the GBA pallete with the NES equivilant. No editing at all, just replacing one colour with another. If he tried to delete the black lines on his helm his whole outline would be the blue instead of black.

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #388 on: June 06, 2012, 05:13:05 PM
I see, so there's no need to put some filters, eh... Then if that's the case, could you post the GBA palette so I can use it?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #389 on: June 09, 2012, 04:43:47 AM
Question:

Why isn't the frame image in one frame, with a sub application box in the middle? Wouldn't that be a [parasitic bomb] ton easier and simplified than having it right in the frame in every stage?

Hell, the pause menu could be a separate sub application too if you wanted to get a little more elaborate.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #390 on: June 09, 2012, 05:32:13 AM
Question:

Why isn't the frame image in one frame, with a sub application box in the middle? Wouldn't that be a [parasitic bomb] ton easier and simplified than having it right in the frame in every stage?

Hell, the pause menu could be a separate sub application too if you wanted to get a little more elaborate.

Are you referring to the frame border around the game screen? Because the frame border might change depending on the circumstance? For example, when the player reaches the boss, I might want to change the frame border to a different image? If the frame border was its own frame, It would be more difficult to determine which frame image I want to use? Just using my sense, I guess. :P

Also, I'm having some bit of trouble with multiple activated deforming/reforming bridges in Ring Man stage right now. It has to do with MMF2's handing of objects focus.  I think when you activate the first one, it seems okay. But when you activate another one at the same time the first bridge is active, some of the bridge 'tiles' of the second one get removed too early, apparently. ::)

I am currently doing some experiments & workarounds to see if I can fix the problem, but I have not had any luck yet. :P

UPDATE:

- Eddie is now in the game in Ring Man stage, as he was in the original NES version of his stage. He doesn't do much yet, as I haven't coded items. But he is animated to throw items, and teleports out of the stage afterwords, as usual.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:28:18 AM by N-Mario »

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #391 on: June 10, 2012, 10:52:00 PM
Awesome Edward!

Wait, did Eddie always do that dance if he stood around blinking for too long? Heh I bet its something new you added to make Eddie cuter. I think he did a bit of dancing in MM7 didn't he? Nice to see his NES/GB sprite is doing it now too. Don't forget to code a walking Eddie version too, down the road.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #392 on: June 10, 2012, 11:27:25 PM
Eddie doesn't show up for me.  :( It only shows him teleporting out after a while.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #393 on: June 11, 2012, 12:02:52 AM
Eddie doesn't show up for me.  :( It only shows him teleporting out after a while.

Are you getting that with just the Flash version? Or the App Version? or Both?

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #394 on: June 11, 2012, 04:37:45 AM
Flash version ._.

Haven't tried the App yet...

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #395 on: June 11, 2012, 05:08:04 AM
Awesome Edward!

Wait, did Eddie always do that dance if he stood around blinking for too long? Heh I bet its something new you added to make Eddie cuter. I think he did a bit of dancing in MM7 didn't he? Nice to see his NES/GB sprite is doing it now too. Don't forget to code a walking Eddie version too, down the road.

No he doesn't. That was kind of my idea to make him more lively. Not just keep standing still like a statue. ;)

I haven't had any issues with the exe version with him showing up incorrectly. I can take a look at the flash version. Though last I checked, I didn't see anything wrong. But I can check again.

EDIT: Yea I checked on the flash version, there were times where I saw him teleport out from one of the rooms I was in before you actually get to him. I can check the trigger conditionss I guess. :P

Also, I remember in one of the MegaMan games if the player glitched too far left or too far right off the screen, he came back on the other side of the screen. I think this was true for MegaMan 1. But in later games like MegaMan 4 in the auto scroll level, MegaMan just dies off. In this engine should I make Megaman just die if he glitches too far left/right off of the screen? Or just reposition him to the other side?

Offline Raging-Banebou

• Merasmus sure loves his cornflakes!
  • Robot Master
  • The Trinity has deemed you... acceptable.
    • View Profile
Reply #396 on: June 11, 2012, 05:48:46 AM
Why not reposition him to the other side if he glitches too far left/right off of the screen?

Yuno Gasai: Living proof that yanderes are NOT meant to be messed with.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #397 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36:52 AM
Okay I believe that Eddie has been fixed now. I think the problem was that the script was putting him into the throw item out state when he gets close to the player, even off screen. So I limited to only make him do this when he's on the screen. :)

As of now, glitching too far left/right off the screen just repositions him, unless someone has a better idea. You can test this in Ring Man's stage in certain areas. :)

Ya know what would be a cool thing to do? I read somewhere there are GB colorizers floating around. Whether it's in game sprite replacement hacking, or emulators that lets you play GB games in full color via user palette files. (not limited to BG & sprite layers either, like VBA). I heard of some things like MasterBoy for PSP/DS that can do this. Maybe if we can alter some GB MegaMan games with full colors, I could start making a trailer for this fan game. Just to show how this fan game will look like, in terms of its current condition now. But I guess I'm just thinking too far ahead. I'd really like to do some sort of trailer sometime around December, for the 25th anniversary of the series. ;)
If not, then I suppose I could take regular snap shots of the B&W gameboy games, and just manually color those in my paint editing software, and have the trailer full of screen shots. That is if the game engine is not yet fully developed at the time. :P

UPDATE
- I have fixed the animation frames of the flashing stars and the spikes in Ring Man stage. They are now a little more accurate to the way they were flashing in the original GB version.
Originally in my game, the stars and spikes were flashing nearly at the same time with each other. This was incorrect comparing to the GB version. Now they should be correct.

UPDATE 6/12/12
 - The hippo mini-bosses are (partially) in now. They don't attack yet, but all you can do right now is shoot the pillars. Oh yea, the hippo's platforms don't fall down yet. It's still WIP, but they are in now.
- Also did some changes to the miniboss room screen faders. During some testing, I had some issues with them working on the same layer as the BG (separate from the layer that the player is on), which really broke Ring Man's stage in the flash build for some reason. But I managed to find the flaw, and change the code to use an alternative method. :)

UPDATE 6/14/12
- Special thanks to a friend named GoofyGamer who I met over on the CT community forum, we now have 100% working deforming/reforming bridges! Even the green ones work now, and in the opposite direction. :D
This one took a while, due to the way MMF2 handles object focus. The new method/script now makes them work independently without any others screwing up, as what my code has been doing before.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:25:11 AM by N-Mario »

Offline Splash

• B-Class Hunter
  • Something here?
    • View Profile
Reply #398 on: June 14, 2012, 09:46:28 PM
Include Met Shield as secret weapon, please?  8D

http://quickmaster-exe.deviantart.com/
I like to draw... NOT!
Seriously.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #399 on: June 15, 2012, 04:50:10 AM
it's going to be more or less of a jewel satelite kind of system, but with mini metools If I make it the weapon u get after beating him. :P