[sonic slicer] about Sonic

Acid · 221131

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1300 on: September 15, 2017, 05:55:06 PM
so the story here is... complex for lack for a more compelling word.

"halfassed"?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1301 on: September 15, 2017, 11:54:17 PM
I think the word is "Contrived".

Honestly as we all know its better to not expect good story from Sonic and just enjoy the gameplay.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #1302 on: September 16, 2017, 02:14:01 AM
I think the word is "Contrived".

Honestly as we all know its better to not expect good story from Sonic and just enjoy the gameplay.

What about the Archive Comics? Do those not count for good story?

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1303 on: September 16, 2017, 04:21:17 AM
Who gives a [parasitic bomb]

Comics have a specific focus on story; that's its own territory. This topic is about Sonic games

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1304 on: September 16, 2017, 05:37:02 AM
What about the Archive Comics? Do those not count for good story?

Hell no, not after pedo-face penders hijacked the story with his stupid original the echidnas because he couldn't make his own comic about magical natives. And even if it was good story the art was about as attractive as a decaying whale 90% of the time.

The only time it got good was after they tried to fix it, and then when lawyer-ing got involved and the continuity got reset to the game's continuity (except for shitty acorn and knothole still existing cuz i have no [tornado fang]ing clue) it maybe improved but its dead now so who really cares.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1305 on: September 16, 2017, 03:55:20 PM
I'm aware of Penders... the intolerable egotistical manic... who's responsible for Sonic Chronicles never getting a sequel and Shade and the rest of the Nocturnal Tribe being axed out of existence because they were a "homage" to his characters and story. Sure the first Sonic RPG wasn't all that bad and the story simple, but I enjoyed it and the cliffhanger made it excited for the next chapter. Nope. I would've loved to see them improve the RPG Battle System for Sonic, few things I didn't quite enjoy a bit.

I wonder how the IDW comics will handle it? Well they continue off or reboot the story? I sure hope Honey the Cat is shown more, I mean she only appeared recently and I want to see more of her (plus she's originally a video game character so that can use her) and I don't know if Sally and the rest will come back.

I always thought Sonic the Hedgehog had good stories from its modern games (especially Black Knight, I loved that one), I'm not expected Shakespeare-level and quality and complexity here, just simple and easy to follow stories. Though Shadow's was a tricky one, with SA2 and Shadow the Hedgehog, but I got it in the end.

Sonic Forces might have the best story for its series, at the very least an entertaining one. You guys seem VERY nit-picky for every little detail and not enjoy yourselves which might be why I'm frustrated... you guys are like my dad. Even on vacations he never enjoys himself and gets angry and negative for whatever small detail, it really brings down everyone's spirit. Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything which I don't want to be like that.

Well to each to their own. I recall Amazon being temporarily sold out on Sonic Forces for pre-order for a short while (though that's what I heard so I don't know or can confirm that) and some people have been praising Forces for the most part. Still looking forward to more news on the game. November can't come soon enough.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1306 on: September 16, 2017, 10:49:38 PM
Chris, you need to grow up.

There is something normal people do, called criticizing. It's how we adapt, innovate, and broaden our expectations.

Not everyone is going to be a spineless pushover like you, and ignore blatant flaws in favor of "just having fun".

Also, find a way to construct your posts where they're not boring as hell to read.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1307 on: September 16, 2017, 11:09:46 PM
whoa whoa whoa guys

this is the [sonic slicer] about sonic thread

not the [sonic slicer] about people posting in the sonic thread thread :P

that said, i am curious to hear how this storyline plays out for Forces. i am cautiously optimistic.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1308 on: September 16, 2017, 11:10:29 PM
who's responsible for Sonic Chronicles never getting a sequel
That's a good thing, though.

Honestly i don't know how anyone ever thought Sonic would make a good RPG. A platformer based solely on movement and momentum.

Mega Man X at least had a strong story component, and was less about the platforming and more about the shooting things.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Adelaide

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #1309 on: September 16, 2017, 11:15:05 PM
Chris, you need to grow up.

There is something normal people do, called criticizing. It's how we adapt, innovate, and broaden our expectations.

Not everyone is going to be a spineless pushover like you, and ignore blatant flaws in favor of "just having fun".

Also, find a way to construct your posts where they're not boring as hell to read.

Alright Phi, that's enough.

If you're going to wear the mantle of staff, you need to cut it out now. It's going from "criticism" to personal attacks. I'm not just going to ignore this kind of behavior.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1310 on: September 17, 2017, 12:06:50 AM
Trust me, that is nowhere near an attack

Offline Adelaide

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #1311 on: September 17, 2017, 12:12:59 AM
Trust me, that is nowhere near an attack

Not sure your judgment is really one that can be counted on here, considering recent events.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1312 on: September 17, 2017, 12:16:11 AM
Quickie and I were the main two mods who preserved this place for the past few years, so my judgement is fine.

And now I'm the only mod left, with Wily occasionally popping his head in.

Offline Adelaide

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #1313 on: September 17, 2017, 12:20:30 AM
Quickie and I were the main two mods who preserved this place for the past few years, so my judgement is fine.

And now I'm the only mod left, with Wily occasionally popping his head in.

I guess we'll see. *shrugs* You can either do what I said or you can continue to be an ass. Your call.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1314 on: September 17, 2017, 12:22:47 AM
I don't take advice from people who overreact, thank you though

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1315 on: September 17, 2017, 12:24:19 AM
Can we get back to the topic at hand?

I want to know if Mighty the Armadillo will make his long-awaited return in Forces.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1316 on: September 17, 2017, 09:19:39 AM
I thought chronicles was ok.

Kinda reminded me of Mario RPG.
But then I remember the awful midi music, the sudden/lazy ending, those awful rock monsters, and horrible BioWare writing.

I'm not saddened by its disappearance.

For me Sonic will always essentially be the games, AoSTH, and that hilarious Boom cartoon.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1317 on: September 17, 2017, 12:51:22 PM
The Sonic Boom cartoon is a gift that keeps on giving. How something so great came from something that was not great in any way other than a travesty is beyond me.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1318 on: September 17, 2017, 06:01:57 PM
Honestly i don't know how anyone ever thought Sonic would make a good RPG. A platformer based solely on movement and momentum.

Mega Man X at least had a strong story component, and was less about the platforming and more about the shooting things.

So, like Super Mario RPG? Super Mario Bros, one of the most basic storied franchises of all time, was primarily focused on action gameplay. It gives, and continues to give, even less of a [parasitic bomb] about story than Sonic.

It's all in how the project is handled, and of course there were massive differences in outcome here. It's not Sonic's fault though. Sonic has an extended cast that goes way beyond being all clones of Sonic's power. When accounting for personal abilities the extended Sonic cast has quite the diversity. That translates to an RPG very well.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1319 on: September 17, 2017, 09:11:54 PM
Yeah Sonic Chronicles did have plenty of potential for an RPG. SEGA should've chosen someone else to make it, that's all. Mario RPG succeeded especially well because it had Square behind it, and while BioWare is good at what they do... they tend to excel with their original properties. Not to mention the atrocious quality of the soundtrack definitely held the game back, not to mention the Chao system which required you to trade them to level them up and having event-only Chao (of which only one was ever released)... yeah, not that great overall.

I still had a small amount of fun with it, but I've also had a small amount of fun with Mighty No. 9. So yeah. It's not the worst, but it's far from the best.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1320 on: September 17, 2017, 09:39:31 PM
Don't forget the heavy use of touch controls to move on the overworld......ugh.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1321 on: September 18, 2017, 06:03:10 AM
Yeah Sonic Chronicles did not age well. '>.>
And the design choices were wonky and not good.

Right now a good Sonic RPG fangame, called Tales of Mobius (which I recommend you check out), with a Tales battle system or LMBS works well with it. Though it does need a lot of polish.

I'll alright I didn't have high expectations for Sonic Boom, but I overly enjoying it. The jokes are good, though it's sometimes hit and miss. Why couldn't the games have this level of comedy? And good gameplay designs?

And... no love for SaTAM?

And to Phi, it's fine to criticize. We do need it to improve. But blatantly over-criticizing and judging something that's not out yet and just discarding isn't the right call. It's not wrong to love thing despite it's flaws, I'm not blind to it, I just give it a chance and see if I like or not. Do I want to see things to fix and improve obvious flaws? Yes. Though your comment was a tad standoffish, I do think it's insight not to be overly faithful and ignore flaws.

There is the saying of 'never judge a book by its cover', then again there's also 'fool me once, shame on me. fool me twice, shame on you'.

Sonic Forces we're given bits and pieces of it and not the whole package. They're putting their heart and soul here and making the game the way they have it setup with the atmosphere and direction.

Alright I'm going to stop there. Any other comments I'm just going to read and back off. No need to discuss or continue this debate anymore.

Another reason why I like the Avatar parts of the game is it's design choice being reminiscence of the Adventure and Heroes style gameplay, which are my favorite of the Sonic games.

Though I do think Classic Sonic is a mistake here. Should've left him out honestly, unless his role and story is fitting for Forces instead of just connecting Mania and Forces together.

Plus did people HATE the boost gameplay from the Sonic Rush titles? I mean that's like where it started from, right?

Honestly I hope Tikal comes back. We sort of know she's still around, she is among my favorite Sonic characters. Mighty, too. Is there a reason they don't want him to return to Sonic games? Would he be too similar to Sonic if they did?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1322 on: September 18, 2017, 06:11:01 AM
The Sonic Boom cartoon is a gift that keeps on giving. How something so great came from something that was not great in any way other than a travesty is beyond me.

Well its noticeable that at first the show seems a bit more grounded and uses a lot more of that dumb lasso thing they had in the game. Then pretty soon after they go full sail into wacky town, and hell Season 2 made the animation look even better so it became even more enjoyable.

Also helps they went heavy on mocking the... less sane members of the fandom, and giving much of the limelight to the antics of Dr. Eggman and his general failure of a life.

Is it wrong that I think Amy is probably the best character overhaul? Eggman's always been a doofus but Amy went from "Sonic Sonic Sonic" to the one who acts like a moral/social compass/feelings person but is just as crazy, if not crazier, than the rest of the cast, considering how much Knuckles seems to one-up her.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1323 on: September 18, 2017, 08:12:50 AM
Yeah, making Amy her own character who just so happens to like Sonic went a long way.

But speaking of Knuckles one-upping her, there was a recent episode where they raced each other and several townsfolk where near the start was a glorious exchange.

Knuckles: If only there were some way to pit one vehicle against another in a competition or, for want of a better word, race...
Amy: Are you being sarcastic or dumb? I honestly can't tell anymore...
Knuckles: Neither can I!!!

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1324 on: September 19, 2017, 05:47:58 PM
Shaodow the Hedgehog is confirmed to be playable!... as DLC in "Shadow the Hedgehog: Episode" in Sonic Forces.

[youtube]Kr1HBT0zzYc[/youtube]

"Get EPISODE SHADOW to uncover the untold story of the new villain, Infinite, and rediscover three updated stages playing as Shadow. Plus, play as Shadow in over 10 Modern Sonic based stages! Including 3 exclusive stages for Shadow.

Experience the full story behind the new villain's rise to power and as you find renewed replayablity across Modern Sonic stages. The fate of Sonic the Hedgehog's world is in your hands – Join the Uprising."

"A first look at gameplay of Sonic Forces' Episode Shadow add-on! A prequel to the main storyline of Sonic Forces, this add-on content explores Shadow's allegiance, the fate of Team Dark, and the origin of the mysterious villain, Infinite."

A part of Shadow's stage looks pretty tricky to get through. Loving the Biolizard Boss theme remix for his gameplay, though sadly the stage looks really bland on some parts of it. Just a small part of the stage, I hope that's in early development.

Also it will be Free DLC to get and on Launch Day. Nice.

EDIT: Which is confirmed to be in development. The Shadow Stage is just a WIP one. They just wanted to show off he's playable.
"Gameplay seen here is work-in-progress, and was captured from the PC version of the game."

I wonder if they'll add DLC for the other villains, too? I would be cool to play as Infinite, Chaos, Metal, and Zavok in Forces.

Also English subtitles for the Resistance Army Recruitment Message:
[youtube]_CD-g-_II9Q[/youtube]

And Eggman's Message:
[youtube]YTfj6XXuWNc[/youtube]