Metroid Prime Trilogy Pack Coming Aug. 24th

Jericho · 17796

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #100 on: October 16, 2009, 01:59:31 AM
The Power Suit in Super Metroid looks a lot more like the Varia Suit than the rest of the games.  I'm pretty sure that's what Team Ninja is using.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #101 on: October 16, 2009, 02:36:46 AM

If that is what Team Ninja is doing then they are not fit to handle Metroid.  The "rounded Power Suit" you're describing from Super Metroid is a technical flaw stemming from sprite re-use, and that contradiction is observable within Super Metroid itself:  In both the status screen and in Samus's forward-facing sprite, the Power Suit shoulders are properly angled as they are in all artwork and later-game depictions.  Varia adds the rounded armor in both of these instances within Super Metroid, but there is no sprite change in the rest of the sheet.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: October 16, 2009, 02:54:29 AM
If that is what Team Ninja is doing then they are not fit to handle Metroid.

It's a suit design.

It doesn't actually matter.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: October 16, 2009, 03:42:52 AM
Okay, so I came off a bit strong, but the point is it would be moronic to base a suit design off of a sprite re-use flaw from ONE SINGLE GAME which in and of itself clearly notes the correct depiction within itself.  Twice.  That's as senseless as giving Mario's head to a 3D Luigi, if not more so.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: October 16, 2009, 08:03:39 AM
It's a suit design.

It doesn't actually matter.
would you prefer a pink Megaman?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: October 16, 2009, 08:05:00 AM
Yes, because he'd fire Shadow Blades like a [chameleon sting]er.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: October 16, 2009, 08:12:02 AM
Shadow blade is more purplish than pink. I mean, as in, girl pink. his helmets and boots. as his normal, no weapons equipped color.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: October 16, 2009, 08:12:39 AM

You say that like being pretty is a bad thing.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: October 16, 2009, 08:15:03 AM
The point is, its a design based on a design flaw. I would prefer Samus' power suit to look the way it should, not mistakenly designed after a sprite reuse.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: October 16, 2009, 08:18:09 AM
Yes, because he'd fire Shadow Blades like a [chameleon sting]er.

More like Quick Boomerangs.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: October 16, 2009, 08:23:29 AM
The point is, its a design based on a design flaw. I would prefer Samus' power suit to look the way it should, not mistakenly designed after a sprite reuse.

The point is, it's still obviously Samus, and complaining because the shoulders look slightly different is a silly thing to do. It's not like Super Metroid didn't change the way the suit looked, anyway.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: October 16, 2009, 08:35:30 AM
thats just it, they really didnt change it. the in game sprite is the only exception, where like Hypershell said, they just didnt bother to add a second set of sprites for the power suit. the rest,(like menus and stuff) has the power suit looking like it should.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: October 16, 2009, 08:52:02 AM
S'got that green crescent sorta thing on the chest, that wasn't there in the first one. Or did they add that for 2? I dunno, I tend to forget that 2 exists.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: October 16, 2009, 03:05:35 PM
They added it in Super Metroid I think.  She seems to have one on either side in Other M.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: October 16, 2009, 08:07:07 PM
ITT: We complain about non-gameplay warping details. Seriously, while I do have some reservations on the art direction of Other-M after going through the amazing style that Retro created for Metroid, I still think that it's a trivial qualm at best. You also have to remember that work on the game is on-going. Who's to say that what we saw at E3 is the final look for the game?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: October 17, 2009, 05:25:01 PM
As I said last page I doubt it is.  Looking at the screenshots there's a real lack of detail in Samus.  Most of what we saw in the trailer was a lot flashier and more polished than that, so my money's on them continuing to tweak her model.

Offline Irgendein

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #116 on: October 17, 2009, 05:29:46 PM
It could also just be a different suit entirely, or perhaps a very different version of the Varia suit (there's been like 4 of them I think, so they may not necessarily all look the same)