What is the real story of Rockman 3?

Thanatos-Zero · 5814

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
on: February 04, 2009, 01:14:03 AM
I have heard many versions about the story of Rockman 3, however since the game lacks of so many things like the ingame transformation of Blues to Breakman and most important a opening for the game, I want to ask you, what the japanese manual says about the story. At least I want later hack with some people the Megaman 3 ROM, to make that game complete, like it was intended.
So any useful informations?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:25:38 AM
Wily tricked everybody into believing he was a good guy. BUT HE LIED.

Archer

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:27:02 AM
BUT HE LIED.
:O Totally didn't see that coming.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 01:28:03 AM
I bet you didn't. Cause my post stated that Wily did indeed become a nice guy.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 01:31:19 AM
Wily tricked you into believing you had beaten him.  But it was a SPRING-HEAD WILY!

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 03:39:32 AM
Bro-toe-man turns out to be your brother, but he was your EVIL BROTHER, and that's the reason he was shooting at you!

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 03:57:41 AM
Crashman went blind from AIDS and you have to find a cure before Protoman gives him one last butt pounding.

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:18:45 PM
 :|

You people, I was serious about that question. I want to know more about the backstory and not everything after it. However the introduction of the Doc Robot´s via cutscene is missing as well.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 06:30:40 PM
Not everything needs a cutscene.  The game *was* made a decade ago.  Back then games didn't have elaborate cutscenes and most games relied on the manual to relay story information.  Nature of the beast. 

Some things about the story are guessable, but I'll leave a direct manual translation to someone with that ability.  From what Marshy said before the forum crash, the manual agrees with the American story, but presents it quite differently.

Nobody could make the game "as it was intended".  I mean, who's to say how it was intended?   Some things, such as Rush's mouth opening when shooting in R Marine mode and R Jet working like MM4&5 seem obvious and aren't really worth the effort.  Protoman's power-up is problematic.  It's easy to restore it in Gemini's level, but they obviously intended it to be left out.  And that's probably due to the non-linear nature of the game.  Were it me, I'd put in in Doc Gemini's level, but ... they didn't.  There's a LOT of things that COULD have been in MM3.  The basics for Beat were thought of for MM3, as well as a minor enemy that was put in MM5.  But, just because those were left out, it doesn't mean it wasn't what Inafune "intended."

I wouldn't mind seeing a hack of some beta elements included in the game, and a certain amount of polish added, I guess.  It lacks a lot of polish now that we know of several unused sprites and, of course, the controller 2 tricks being easily accessible.  But it isn't quite as extencive to say "it isn't how it was intended to be".  I mean, the game *is* complete and fairly balanced.  I don't believe the levels themselves would be any different than what we ended up with.  I don't think things like Beat, the Mega Buster, or Rush Drill (well, maybe the drill, there's a possibility) were ever programmed into a beta game.  There are some programming and graphical issues that, I feel, were left rough because Capcom rushed the game.  But, just that alone isn't worth it. 

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 09:39:52 PM
Some things, such as Rush's mouth opening when shooting in R Marine mode and R Jet working like MM4&5 seem obvious and aren't really worth the effort.
It wasn't obvious to me.  I thought they just felt like nerfing Rush Jet afterward.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 10:11:53 PM
It wasn't obvious to me.  I thought they just felt like nerfing Rush Jet afterward.
Oh, 3's is the best.  No question.  But it's treatment in later games makes it's intention more obvious.  I mean ... in 3, you can use Rush Jet in the water. Clearly unpolished.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 10:12:37 PM
Well it doesn't seem as strange if you've never seen it forbidden before.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 10:13:47 PM
Well it doesn't seem as strange if you've never seen it forbidden before.
Forbidden?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 10:14:15 PM
Oh, 3's is the best.  No question.  But it's treatment in later games makes it's intention  more obvious.  I mean ... in 3, you can use Rush Jet in the water. Clearly unpolished.

Is 3 even beatable using the 4+ Rush Jet?...

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 10:17:34 PM
Is 3 even beatable using the 4+ Rush Jet?...
It's difficulty increases, but ... I don't see how it'd be impossible to beat.  It wouldn't be item-2.  You'd still control it's vertical movement.   It'd be possible, I think.

Late Edit: allow me to quantify.  I believe Jet was intended to work like MM4+.  I don't believe it was intended to do so in 3.  It seems like a late addition (gaphic similarity to Drill, prgram similarity to Marine, able to go into water) and, while it seems likely (given Jet's later treatment and the consistancy found within the series itself) that it was Inafune's intention to make Jet like MM4+, it seems unlikely he had the time to do so (his statement that the game was rushed, the easily erased debug data left in).

Incidentally, this same line of logic makes me think Drill was edited out rather late in the game.  Maybe there's still code pertaining to it left in the game?  One wonders...

Offline BaconMan

• Robot Master
  • Get Equipped With Bacon Slice
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 03:27:43 PM
Wily tricked everybody into believing he was a good guy. BUT HE LIED.
:) That's really all you're looking for.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 12:33:01 AM
Sorry if this is late, but this is the only plot-related segment I found useful in the manual.
"Calling Mega Man! Calling Mega Man! Come in please!
"Mega Man, we need you! We're down to the wire on our peace-keeping project. We've got to get those last energy crystals or we can't finish it. Dr. Wily is here now, too... Yes... He's finally found sanity. He knows where the crystals are! They're in the mining worlds, but we can't get to 'em. The robots are running amok and they're destroying everything!
"You've got to get here, Mega Man, and get those crystals! You'll face some pretty mean metal. Expect the worst! Is Rush there with you? Give him a bolt to chew on and tell him it's from us. What's that -- we must be getting static-- sounds like you said 'Woof!'
"Mega Man, get to those mining worlds, pronto! Grab the crystals and stop whoever's in charge. He's one lunatic guy!
"This is Dr. Light. Over and out!"
It may slightly change, because this is from Mega Man III, but I believe the bare-basics are still intact.