Regarding Games, Movies, TV Series and Animes

Saber · 9490

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
on: November 08, 2008, 05:04:16 PM
I just talked to PB about this and he likes the idea, so I'll just share my thoughts about this.

Now that RPM is in the middle of starting over, I think it would be a good idea to go a bit more into detail regarding video games, movies and TV series and anime. What I mean is that people don't just create a thread about one of these with just some random comment like "It's awesome. Somebody else watchin' this?" but instead add more information regarding the medium they are talking about. I've done this with the Gundam 00 and Kara no Kyoukai thread so far. As you can see, I added a picture, some statistic info and some general plot outlines.

I'm neither saying we should turn the forum into a database nor forcing anyone to do it my way, but I just think it would be nice to keep this all just a tad more organized now that we have the chance to do it. We then also could make pinned index threads so one could check right away if the game, series or movie already has a thread.

As I said, I was merely thinking. Anyone wanna share their opinion on this?

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 05:07:37 PM
nya I think it sounds like a pretty good idea ^^b

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 05:09:22 PM
Getting used to some of the ornate layouts for official threads over at NeoGAF, I'd have to say I agree with this idea. It'd be a nice way to keep everything about a certain game, movie, anime or otherwise in one spot and keep people up to date with it all via the opening post. I've tried a few times in the past to do this, and it seems to be worthwhile. So i guess I'll just continue doing so unless I'm lazy in which case, I'd edit it on the fly.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 05:11:41 PM
As I said, I was merely thinking. Anyone wanna share their opinion on this?

Excellent idea is excellent~ ^w^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:29:41 PM
Excellent idea is excellent~ ^w^

Well,the question is, how to handle this if we're really going to do it? I've seen some boards which feature certains tags that pop up once you want make a new thread within a certain area of the board. Could something like that be implemented into RPM as well? It kind of would serve as a reminder that it would be appreciated if people would put more effort into their posts about this kind of stuff. The alternative would be that mods add the missing information afterwards, and I don't really think they'd like this additional work.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 05:38:37 PM
Some staff members are alright with small edits. I would be alright to do it every now and then.

As for tagging. There are so many ways you can do it, at least for Games and Anime/Manga.

You can write (some text here) or [some text here] before the topic name to suggest which console a game is for, or if you're talking Anime or Manga specifically, you can write the things needed there.

Some examples would be...

[Konami] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
[Nintendo] Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I dunno, some of these tags might work. Some creativity would be appreciated too. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 05:45:27 PM
I like the idea, it will be able to get more people to try the shows/games out when they have something to look at.

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 05:46:35 PM
Well, that idea with adding a platform tag for games sounds like a good idea.

However, I wouldn't classify googling for a decent picture and general info etc as "small edits", especially not if it's on a grand scale :W

Well, what I specifically meant about adding tags to RPM was that if a topic is created within a certain sub-board, headlines like this

[img]www.picture-located-here.com[/url]

Running time/release date:
Episodes:
Genre:
Studio/Developer:

Short story summary found here

would pop up immediately. I wondered if it was possible to include something like that in the script of the specific board sections.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 05:51:19 PM
Well, that idea with adding a platform tag for games sounds like a good idea.

However, I wouldn't classify googling for a decent picture and general info etc as "small edits", especially not if it's on a grand scale :W

Well, what I specifically meant about adding tags to RPM was that if a topic is created within a certain sub-board, headlines like this

would pop up immediately. I wondered if it was possible to include something like that in the script of the specific board sections.

Wow, if a script could be written up that would allow for the setup work to be taken care of like that, that'd be pretty cool. I like. :D

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 08:28:06 PM
As I said, and as Saber said, I'm definitely in full support of this idea.  Even the tags idea doesn't work out (I hope it does), I have no issues with making those small edits.  But yeah, keep me posted on this.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 08:32:33 PM
The Table Saber made.

I am in full support of this, hopefully we can rebuild All of those threads in that style.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 06:56:01 PM
Saber, your idea's nice, but it'd require massive tinkering with the forum code, and while I'm alright with editing the code, doing so would literally invalidate it for applying future modifications and enhancements. Plus, it'd increase the database and server load, and we all know what the results of that is.

So I think it's ultimately better if we all just resign ourselves to doing it manually on the first post of each thread.