The PSP is "Go?"

Jericho · 11363

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
on: April 29, 2009, 03:55:24 AM
Details of Sony's oft-rumored revision to its PlayStation Portable may have been leaked a little earlier than the company was expecting, as chatter of the PSP Go! appears to have leaked a few days early.

According to the initially uploaded most recent episode of the "at1UP" podcast, Sony will soon be announcing the PSP Go!, with some of the web site's staff having already seen the device. The podcast describes the new hardware iteration as having "slide out" or "flip out" controls—presumably in the style of —as well as a larger screen.

The biggest point of contention among 1UP staffers appeared to be the name of the new hardware, lightly derided as "PSP Go exclamation point."

That episode has since been edited to remove mention of the PSP Go!.

If true, the description of the new hardware appears to jibe with previous rumored mentions of the "PSP-4000" which is allegedly planning to drop the system's UMD drive in favor of internal storage. With more and more PSP games going digital download only—and additional loose talk of in-store kiosks that would allow gamers to rip UMD games to a storage device—that particular rumor is starting to look more feasible.

Sony itself surveyed PlayStation fans on what features they'd like to see in a new PSP earlier this year, hinting at the possibility of built-in storage, a touchscreen interface and built-in keyboard.

The arrival of the new PSP hardware is expected to hit before the holidays, according to reports.

"We haven't announced any new PSP hardware and can't comment on rumors or speculation," an SCEA rep told Kotaku when reached for clarification.

Thanks to PJ and Mr. Wednesday for the heads up.

Update: 1UP has published its story on the new PSP, indicating that the new, UMD-less hardware will ship this Fall in Japan and North America, with Sony bringing 100 PSP titles to the PlayStation Store. The site also has an artists' rendition of what the new PSP Go! may look like.

Article

[/lazy copypaste]

Extra Links on the page itself. Discuss.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:53:38 AM by Protoman Blues »

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 04:02:58 AM
Second analog stick or I'm not buying it...

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 04:05:08 AM

^This.

But if it doesn't get one... I'll probably end up buying it anyway. >_>;

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 04:21:36 AM
Sony is really bad at hiding secrets.

I never understood the big deal about a second analog stick.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:23:39 AM
(Looks over list)

Mm-hm... mmm-hm... sliding screen, yep... mm-hm... no UMD support... mmm...

Well. Nice knowing you, PSP. Congratulations, Sony. You've managed to make something worse than the DSi.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:25:59 AM
Sony: Professionally trolling themselves since E3 2006. XD

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:31:25 AM
Showed this to my brother, and what the hay, if he gets this, I might get his PSP slim and a DSi, best of all, most games and gamers that own a PSP would be still using UMD disks (hopefully), since this one's getting bigger. I can imagine how it's gonna stick out like a sore thumb in your pocket, with a DS to keep it from slipping out.

But alas, I'm raising my rumor shield and wait this until it's confirmed when fall rolls around.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 04:38:20 AM
This brings up a good question: What of the PSP owners that legitimately own games and want to use them on the new system? Are they screwed or is Sony going to set up a method to download them for free off the--

I'm sorry, I can't finish that sentence without laughing.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 04:47:15 AM
I never understood the big deal about a second analog stick.

A lot of camera problems could be solved with a second analog stick devoted to controlling the camera, and in some cases, help out with some control issues (the Ape Escape game could have been more like the PS1 version if there was a second analog stick to control the direction. Plus, it just feels right with a game to have a some what symmetrical design. A D-Pad on one side, buttons on the other, and two analog sticks on either side as well (for me at least).

Stupid question, but is this an upgraded PSP or is this to the PSP what the DS is to the GBA and so on?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 04:50:18 AM
It's more like the DSi is to the DS if I'm reading everything correctly, but I'm sure there are other stipulations that apply here. Then there's the fact that we aren't sure if this is all true even now.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 04:52:12 AM
and additional loose talk of in-store kiosks that would allow gamers to rip UMD games to a storage device

Also...
In addition, since the UMD is going away, Sony will have over 100 classic and new PSP titles available for download at launch (Gran Turismo Mobile is said to be one of the premier launch titles).
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173959

I thought Jelly would link to the actual 1up article, but it looks like he didn't.

A lot of camera problems could be solved with a second analog stick devoted to controlling the camera, and in some cases, help out with some control issues (the Ape Escape game could have been more like the PS1 version if there was a second analog stick to control the direction. Plus, it just feels right with a game to have a some what symmetrical design. A D-Pad on one side, buttons on the other, and two analog sticks on either side as well (for me at least).

Stupid question, but is this an upgraded PSP or is this to the PSP what the DS is to the GBA and so on?

Still, why would anyone expect a second analog stick of what basicaly is the DSi of the PSP?

Posted on: April 28, 2009, 09:51:02 PM
It's more like the DSi is to the DS if I'm reading everything correctly, but I'm sure there are other stipulations that apply here. Then there's the fact that we aren't sure if this is all true even now.

I bet 5 imaginary dollars that this is as true as MvC2 was.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 05:03:53 AM
Still, why would anyone expect a second analog stick of what basicaly is the DSi of the PSP?

I think it'd probably be to make it even and allow better controls in some games. I haven't played too many PSP games, but it seems like some of them could use better camera controls rather than relying on the D-Pad.

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 05:08:59 AM
I honestly hope these in game UMD transfer kiosks are free, or at least relatively cheap.

Still, I'm probably going to get this, since this has my interest.

Then I could probably use my current PSP to emulate SNES games and the like.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 05:22:10 AM
wow this is a terrible idea. i can't imagine a scenario where this doesn't blow up in Sony's face.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 06:05:10 AM
This brings up a good question: What of the PSP owners that legitimately own games and want to use them on the new system? Are they screwed or is Sony going to set up a method to download them for free off the--

My immediate thought as well.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 06:07:44 AM
And again, to reiterate:

Sony: Professionally trolling themselves since E3 2006. XD

.... Sony's E3 will be marvelous for all the wrong right reasons should this all continue.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 06:09:42 AM
Watch, it'll probably be a phone too.

Just like Microsoft & Verizon's possible iPhone killer which will be called the X-Zune 180.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 07:57:41 AM
I'm gonna have to play devil's advocate here, since everybody seems so happy and ready to bash Sony for what I consider what might be their smartest move in the last few years.

Do read the article again. They might have been "loose", but loose or not there HAVE been talks about in-store kiosks that would transfer your UMD games to a Memory Stick.

I'm rather sorry that you guys see this move as doomsday-bringing for Sony. Personally, I see it as one of their most badass and cleverest moves they've pulled lately after their many fiascoes with the PS3 and the like. Fully digital game possession model? Count me in any [tornado fang]ing day.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 08:10:33 AM
Another PSP? what's so different about their current 3000 series that they need to keep updating it for? I had to buy a 3000 just to play my PSP games on TV with composite video cables, along with a few other things. But why can't they just update the current one? Or find a different name for it other than "PSP". The name gets old and tiring. But not only that, but having to keep buying the same system but with more features? X_X

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 08:18:11 AM
I'm gonna have to play devil's advocate here, since everybody seems so happy and ready to bash Sony for what I consider what might be their smartest move in the last few years.Do read the article again. They might have been "loose", but loose or not there HAVE been talks about in-store kiosks that would transfer your UMD games to a Memory Stick.

I'm rather sorry that you guys see this move as doomsday-bringing for Sony. Personally, I see it as one of their most badass and cleverest moves they've pulled lately after their many fiascoes with the PS3 and the like. Fully digital game possession model? Count me in any [tornado fang]ing day.

Nah, with me it's all ribbing, plus I play both sides too well. XD

Seriously though, while I do appreciate the drive towards digital distribution, I do believe that Sony might be trying this "experiment" at a time where they have everything to lose if it doesn't fly ASAP (regarding their hand held business). Retailers won't want to (or will begrudgingly) stock the PSP Go! due to the fact that it'll make their dealings mostly irrelevant as they won't be doing more than stocking the system without raking in the bigger profit namely a cut from the sales of physical games.

One way this could be addressed would be to charge consumers for using their UMD to Flash Memory kiosks in store and give a good cut of this revenue to the brick and mortar store. But then, what happens to that bit of the market who won't want to pay for this thinking that it isn't fair to be recharged to play the games that they currently own?

Then there's the idea that Sony could very easily run into the "fridge" problem that many a Wii owner have already experienced. If the Go's memory is limited and more and more customers become dissatisfied with how many games they can keep and play at any given time, will Sony have a means for customers to keep a legitimate copy of their game elsewhere and swap and go as they please or will the Go owners have to get the "clean out yo' fridge" mantra as well?

Also, extending from that metaphor, what kind of DRM would be put in place to both make sure that a person has full access and rights to use their game in any manner while preventing piracy from becoming even more rampant with the new games being easily transferable data as opposed to software that needed custom hardware to break and distribute?

If this is all true, this could be one of Sony's last true Hail Mary plays. The failure that could come from this falling through could be devastating though.

....Also, I am not an expert of any kind on this stuff, so pardon me for this wall of TL;DR. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 08:23:27 AM
Do read the article again. They might have been "loose", but loose or not there HAVE been talks about in-store kiosks that would transfer your UMD games to a Memory Stick.

I read that part in the article.  However, that thought still came to my mind.  Except for the one in Manhattan, I know of no full-fledged Sony stores, which means that for this to transpire, they are going to have to supply GameStop with many of the UMD-MemStick kiosks, which is going to cost them money. If it's going to cost them money for these kiosks, then Sony is 95% going to charge people money to use these kiosks (possibly per game), due to the fact that they need to make some money back for this kiosk process.

Also, I'm no hacker, but wouldn't full digital game possession make hacking games even easier than it already is for the PSP?

but having to keep buying the same system but with more features? X_X

Ummmm...it's worked for Nintendo thus far....

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 08:25:50 AM

You know I gotcha tho. XD

Ummmm...it's worked for Nintendo thus far....

I think we can extend this to both Apple & Nintendo. There's a really good theory on this that was collected together from various bits of wisdom from the late Gunpei Yokoi (of Gameboy creating fame) which was something along the lines of getting the most out of steadily aging or obsolete technology. I only wish if I could find it and put it here as it's an excellent read and would show why things like Wii, GB -> GBC or DS -> DSi all fall in line with Nintendo's way of thinking and turning a profit.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 08:47:36 AM
I told my brother about this and his complaints was more on the digital download and the speed of download, and battery life.

Yay for first negative thoughts.  Really though, if this ends up being true, i'm unsure if I want to get the PSP-3000 model now, but my brother does make a point on the download speed and battery, but if Sony were to take this chance to go as far as digital download only, i'm certain they would make sure to keep things at a good speed (even though he doubts it, the mr.negative, graphics is everything man :/).  What do you guys think?

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:09 AM
Okay, time for me to address some points in detail.

Seriously though, while I do appreciate the drive towards digital distribution, I do believe that Sony might be trying this "experiment" at a time where they have everything to lose if it doesn't fly ASAP (regarding their hand held business). Retailers won't want to (or will begrudgingly) stock the PSP Go! due to the fact that it'll make their dealings mostly irrelevant as they won't be doing more than stocking the system without raking in the bigger profit namely a cut from the sales of physical games.
The brick-and-mortar stores WILL still be stocking the games. However, the prospected plan is for them to stock an otherwise empty box that will only contain a voucher with a download code for the customer to authorize the download of the game. Plus, to level revenues, the brick-and-mortar store will charge an extra $5 for the purchase over the online purchase price point, which will go entirely to them, since the rest of the price goes to Sony for them to distribute however they want.

One way this could be addressed would be to charge consumers for using their UMD to Flash Memory kiosks in store and give a good cut of this revenue to the brick and mortar store.
Surprising that you even thought of ANY OTHER WAY this could work. This is conceivably the only way for both ends to make a profit.

But then, what happens to that bit of the market who won't want to pay for this thinking that it isn't fair to be recharged to play the games that they currently own?
Because, if Sony plays their cards right, they will only charge a minimal fee (fraction of the price of ANY full game) for the transfer only, and the revenue of which will go to the physical store, while the rest of the price goes for re-investment in keeping the kiosk working.

Then there's the idea that Sony could very easily run into the "fridge" problem that many a Wii owner have already experienced. If the Go's memory is limited and more and more customers become dissatisfied with how many games they can keep and play at any given time, will Sony have a means for customers to keep a legitimate copy of their game elsewhere and swap and go as they please or will the Go owners have to get the "clean out yo' fridge" mantra as well?
Because the PSP Go! has never been mentioned to have ditched the Memory Stick port, the Fridge Logic doesn't apply here. You can have as many games as you can store in whatever Memory Sticks you have, period.

Also, extending from that metaphor, what kind of DRM would be put in place to both make sure that a person has full access and rights to use their game in any manner while preventing piracy from becoming even more rampant with the new games being easily transferable data as opposed to software that needed custom hardware to break and distribute?
The probable DRM system implemented would theoretically HAVE to link the game to the hardware. But even though I don't endorse piracy, practically whatever they could probably concoct would, in the end, be ultimately broken, so the best bet would be an authorization system with some kind of hardware-bundled code or something of the sort.

If this is all true, this could be one of Sony's last true Hail Mary plays. The failure that could come from this falling through could be devastating though.
True, and as we all know, Sony does have a rather annoying habit of shooting itself in the foot constantly, relentlessly, consistently and repeatedly, but I'm putting my faith on this move for it to be Sony's redemption from their (all too infamous) recent snafus. If this kicks off to a good start, it's going to be the first serious move in severely attacking Nintendo's position as leader of the handheld market, if only for the novelty factor at first. At least in my personal opinion.

Do note that I am in no way a business enterprise manager though, so my assumptions are only based on experience with distribution models and insane amounts of hope for Sony to redeem itself. :P

I read that part in the article.  However, that thought still came to my mind.  Except for the one in Manhattan, I know of no full-fledged Sony stores, which means that for this to transpire, they are going to have to supply GameStop with many of the UMD-MemStick kiosks, which is going to cost them money. If it's going to cost them money for these kiosks, then Sony is 95% going to charge people money to use these kiosks (possibly per game), due to the fact that they need to make some money back for this kiosk process.
Read my above reply to Jerry. If done correctly, the kiosks would practically be self-fed points of sale, needing no further investment from Sony except for their initial establishment. Of course, this also depends on the price point established to transfer the games... And you also have to take into account the techies who will probably figure out one way to do this themselves.

Also, I'm no hacker, but wouldn't full digital game possession make hacking games even easier than it already is for the PSP?
Very true, but if the game was somehow linked directly to the system hardware, it would make it WAY more difficult for the potential crackers to find ways to circumvent the system, unless Sony plays a stupid move and hides their security in plain sight.

I told my brother about this and his complaints was more on the digital download and the speed of download, and battery life.
I fully agree with him. Hopefully, if someone at Sony has any brains, they'll distribute some kind of first party software for regular end-user computers to download the games and transfer them to the user's PSP/Memory Stick.

Whew. Been a long time since I wrote a post this long with so much consumed brainpower backing it. >_>

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 12:28:25 AM
Awesome DZ. I look forward to more debating/matching brain powahs with you in the future. 8)