Legend of Zelda - The official Zelda thread

Align · 344260

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #775 on: July 02, 2010, 02:58:51 AM
Because no Sage resided there and no obstacles to said Sages involved the Dominion Rod?

That's like asking why TP Link doesn't get to use the Temple of Time to return to his childhood.  It's a simple matter of circumstance.  The Master Sword is what's responsible in both cases.  And it's already well established that the reality-warping effects of your various Hyrulian artifacts may vary depending on what task the current era's Hero is charged with.  It's not as if Link could use the Ocarina of Time to warp back a few days during his journey to defeat Ganon.
At current the Master Sword and Triforce are about the only things mandating a link between LttP and the OoT branches.  Most story points these days may be linked to the Vaati arc, particularly Ganon himself, seeings how OoT Ganon is likely dead in both forks and FSA provides the origin of trident-wielding Ganon.  There are minor hiccups along the way, such as the ambiguity of Minish Cap's "Light Force", but we had such when it was just LttP-to-OoT.

The biggest problem, as I see it, lies with the original NES game.  Ever since the notion first came about that we start at OoT and end at LttP, the original LoZ has left us with one more Ganon death than we can account for, and no effort has been made to address that; unless we're left to simply assume that LttP's Ganon had escaped the seal prior, was killed, revived, and sealed again.  Overall, the original game's backstory has remained very self-contained, with no other title proving itself relevant to its setup.
You say that as if they had it planned out that the Temple of Time was bigger in OOT. The temple was a dingy church.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #776 on: July 02, 2010, 03:01:33 AM
o/~ By the way, if you walked in late,
allow me to re-it-er-ate:
the name of this movie is Spy HAAAARD!
o/~

The "dungeon" of the Temple of Time is accessed through a separate portal in the Master Sword's room, if you recall, so I don't think that really counts.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #777 on: July 02, 2010, 03:05:42 AM
o/~ By the way, if you walked in late,
allow me to re-it-er-ate:
the name of this movie is Spy HAAAARD!
o/~

"REEEEEEEAL TEMPLE WAS THERE ALL ALOOOOONG"

Bullshit.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #778 on: July 02, 2010, 03:14:45 AM
There is that blocked off path behind the Gossip Stones. Maybe that leads to the extra area in OoT-era Hyrule that's accessible via the portal in TP-era Hyrule...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #779 on: July 02, 2010, 03:17:04 AM
I'm not. I just always found that path suspicious. :P

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #780 on: July 02, 2010, 03:17:09 AM
There is that blocked off path behind the Gossip Stones. Maybe that leads to the extra area in OoT-era Hyrule that's accessible via the portal in TP-era Hyrule...
Oh, sure. Get a romhack, maybe they forgot a whole temple back there. 8D

Why are you people still going at this when it's clear that no side will agree with the other one and that it will go on forever and ever and ever and ever and...yeah I think I made myself clear.
Because it's fun. Jeez, lighten up.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #781 on: July 02, 2010, 03:17:51 AM
Well, I did delete it and said "oh what the hell, let them do it" >_>

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #782 on: July 02, 2010, 03:19:56 AM
Oh, sure. Get a romhack, maybe they forgot a whole temple back there. 8D
I did. It was a shrine to Tingle. D:

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #783 on: July 02, 2010, 03:21:10 AM
I did. It was a shrine to Tingle. D:
Man, that reminded me of his DS game. JESUS CHRIST that is the creepiest game I have ever played in my entire life.

Imagine a game where EVERYONE IS WARIO. EVERYONE.

EVERYONE.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #784 on: July 02, 2010, 03:25:54 AM
Yeah, it was bad...

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #785 on: July 02, 2010, 03:26:10 AM
That makes me tempted to play it, however, I must know something first. Will my brain survive?

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #786 on: July 02, 2010, 03:28:21 AM
Well, I did delete it and said "oh what the hell, let them do it" >_>
Not as if it's any different from any other internet debate.  I just keep at it 'till it stops reducing my boredom.

I do consider Zelda continuity to be something of an exercise in futility, but that's because I'm naturally stingy with details.  It depends on what context you're thinking in.  Once you learn to loosen up and glaze over the rough spots, it can be interesting to brainstorm about.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #787 on: July 02, 2010, 03:30:49 AM
Yeah, it was bad...
Bad? I loved it. It's an exercise in frustration because EVERYONE WANTS MONEY but it's [tornado fang]ing awesome all the way.

TINGLE GAME, MAN. TINGLE GAME.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #788 on: July 02, 2010, 03:32:16 AM
It was pretty fun... a bit odd, but fun...

I should get back to making my Zelda game.

IT CONNECTS ALL THE GAMES IN A COHESIVE TIME*shot*

It doesn't actually, but I'm almost 50% finished.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #789 on: July 02, 2010, 03:38:35 AM
It was pretty fun... a bit odd, but fun...

I should get back to making my Zelda game.

IT CONNECTS ALL THE GAMES IN A COHESIVE TIME*shot*

It doesn't actually, but I'm almost 50% finished.
Man, I wish I could make a Zelda game.

Steampunk world. Middle-aged war veteran Link. Living in his farm, with his wife and kids. Happy.

GANON COMES. FUCKS THE WORLD OVER. KIDNAPS WIFE AND KIDS BECAUSE HIS CHILD IS THE NEXT ZELDA

Link PUTS ON THE FABLED HERO'S UNIFORM. SNAGS THAT MASTER SWORD. Then goes on a quest all over the world to find Ganon.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #790 on: July 02, 2010, 03:39:17 AM
At current the Master Sword and Triforce are about the only things mandating a link between LttP and the OoT branches.  Most story points these days may be seen as a continuation of the Vaati arc, particularly Ganon himself, seeings how OoT Ganon is likely dead in both forks and FSA provides the origin of trident-wielding Ganon.

Whilst it is true that the FSA provides many characteristic elements necessary to transition comfortably into LttP's story, it is the plot in the game's manual that absolute mandates some connection to Ocarina as well. After all, Ocarina's story was based on that very legend which introduces elements such as the Master Sword, the Triforce, the Sacred Realm and Dark World and especially the sages seal. All of these elements being present in some fashion in FSA, but removed entirely from focus as theirs is of little relevance to that game's plot.

Of course, LttP itself admits that these very legends it tells of are in no way fact, word of mouth changing facts and time obscuring the boundary between fact and fiction. Ocarina is but such a small aspect of the underlying truth. Too bad that underlying truth also has many contradictions to address, such as at the same time having to account for both the disappearance of the sea Zoras and the existence of the acient Hylian structures. Which strangely mandate branching out both ways from Ocarina.

the original LoZ has left us with one more Ganon death than we can account for, and no effort has been made to address that;

That depends, if Miyamoto´s mentioned order is correct; the Silver Arrows leave Ganon in quite a predicament. However, from simply LttP beyond, there are the concepts from Ancient Stone Tablets, which has no problem with making Ganon seemingly self reviving or otherwise some strange side effect of Link's wish on the Triforce. Though the "actual" events of AST hardly fit the continuity because of the Satellaview mascot, its story does give us some insight into the minds of the developers.

Overall, the original game's backstory has remained very self-contained, with no other title proving itself relevant to its setup.

Within the overall Hylian lore, the state of the Triforce is a fairly important matter that needs some setting up, which preciously little titles could account for. As for LoZ/AoL's effect on the other games; somehow or other the sleeping Zelda myth needs to find its way back into the series.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #791 on: July 02, 2010, 03:45:29 AM
Flash: I'm using Zelda Classic... lol

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #792 on: July 02, 2010, 03:57:24 AM
Flash: I'm using Zelda Classic... lol
Well ADD BEARDS AND TRAINS AND AIRSHIPS AND STEAM.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #793 on: July 02, 2010, 04:05:06 AM
You can. I'm fine with my tileset. :P

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #794 on: July 02, 2010, 03:30:48 PM
Man, I wish I could make a Zelda game.

Steampunk world. Middle-aged war veteran Link. Living in his farm, with his wife and kids. Happy.

GANON COMES. FUCKS THE WORLD OVER. KIDNAPS WIFE AND KIDS BECAUSE HIS CHILD IS THE NEXT ZELDA

Link PUTS ON THE FABLED HERO'S UNIFORM. SNAGS THAT MASTER SWORD. Then goes on a quest all over the world to find Ganon.

I'd play it.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #795 on: July 02, 2010, 03:32:44 PM
Steampunk is overrated.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #796 on: July 02, 2010, 03:35:48 PM
Not if it's done right like in Nostalgia and many games before it.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #797 on: July 02, 2010, 03:39:26 PM
Not if it's done right like in Nostalgia and many games before it.
HELL YEAH JUST PLAYING IT RIGHT NOW.

ADVENTURAN LIKE KURAZY.

Seriously, we need more games like Nostalgia. At least that use Steampunk in that way.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #798 on: July 02, 2010, 03:40:48 PM
Or make a Big O game.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #799 on: July 02, 2010, 03:51:00 PM
The biggest problem, as I see it, lies with the original NES game.  Ever since the notion first came about that we start at OoT and end at LttP, the original LoZ has left us with one more Ganon death than we can account for, and no effort has been made to address that; unless we're left to simply assume that LttP's Ganon had escaped the seal prior, was killed, revived, and sealed again.  Overall, the original game's backstory has remained very self-contained, with no other title proving itself relevant to its setup.
I thought the first game took place last in the timeline, with the final death (by silver arrows) of Ganon?