Batman: Arkham Asylum/City/Origins/Knight

Align · 27465

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: March 08, 2014, 02:26:17 AM
5 times bigger than Arkham City? Ehh... more empty space to travel with like 1000 collectibles to pick up... goody.

I loved looking in every nook and cranny for riddler trophies. You're seriously complaining that Arkham City gave you too much to do? Also, driving around in the Batmobile will likely make traveling around much more exciting than the previous games, especially since you'll apparently be able to drive on walls.

And either way, once you get the grappling hook upgrade to shoot yourself into the air, it made traveling from building to building pretty fun.

And hey, they're collectibles for a reason. They're completely optional.

Arkham Knight is a dumb name for a character, too.

A man dresses up in a bat costume and calls himself The Batman.

A guy dons a red cape and calls himself Superman.

ARKHAM KNIGHT is the name you have a problem with?

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: March 08, 2014, 02:44:16 AM
I loved looking in every nook and cranny for riddler trophies. You're seriously complaining that Arkham City gave you too much to do? Also, driving around in the Batmobile will likely make traveling around much more exciting than the previous games, especially since you'll apparently be able to drive on walls.

And either way, once you get the grappling hook upgrade to shoot yourself into the air, it made traveling from building to building pretty fun.

And hey, they're collectibles for a reason. They're completely optional.
I wouldn't call it too much to do... it just felt like busywork more than anything else for me. I kinda liked the way Arkham Asylum was designed better personally, Arkham City didn't feel as fun to traverse for me.

A man dresses up in a bat costume and calls himself The Batman.

A guy dons a red cape and calls himself Superman.

ARKHAM KNIGHT is the name you have a problem with?
Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying! Why would someone call himself after an insane asylum / insane family? Kinda sillier than the other examples if you ask me.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: March 08, 2014, 03:28:04 AM
Maybe we should see how this "Arkham Knight" plays into the story before we judge his choice in alias. Any batman fans here know if this is a character from the comics?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: March 08, 2014, 03:33:34 AM
I wouldn't call it too much to do... it just felt like busywork more than anything else for me. I kinda liked the way Arkham Asylum was designed better personally, Arkham City didn't feel as fun to traverse for me.
Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying! Why would someone call himself after an insane asylum / insane family? Kinda sillier than the other examples if you ask me.

Why would someone name themselves after an insane family?

Well, why would someone beat a kid to a bloody pulp with a crowbar and blow him up afterwards? Why would someone intoxicate their victims with fear gas and [tornado fang] up their mind?

Gotham is full of crazy [tornado fang]ing people. Perhaps Arkham Knight is no different from those lunatics. Perhaps he's sending some sort of message using the Arkham name. We just have to wait and see what his story is.

And if you want to theorize, it could be what Flame said, in that it could be The Joker in disguise. And although I find that a little unlikely, seeing as how Joker loves an audience, there's no way to tell at this point in time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:37:32 AM by Phi »

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: March 08, 2014, 05:30:27 AM
*shrug* I wasn't really going into it that deep, I just find it silly. If they do a good job of tying it together well, then good for them! If they're doing it just for the title, then... uh... not so good.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: March 08, 2014, 05:31:25 AM

My friend said the same thing to me. He liked Arkham Asylum better, cause it felt more well put together and Batman-ier! Haha

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: March 08, 2014, 05:38:32 AM
My friend said the same thing to me. He liked Arkham Asylum better, cause it felt more well put together and Batman-ier! Haha
That's pretty much my opinion as well, it felt more solid design-wise. Gliding around Arhkam City (and Origins too I guess) was fun at first, but then after a while it lost its luster for me.

The one thing City did better was the Mr. Freeze fight... I really wish there were more like that one to be honest. I felt more like Batman in that boss fight than any of the others.

As for something that looks like it might be good in Knights, is if they pull off the Batmobile well in it (and possibly Batwing closer to the end?) it would be cool.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: March 08, 2014, 07:00:05 AM
Yeah agreed. But man...

Batman Arkham City Soundtrack - Main Theme (Track #1)

That theme is still the sexcellent sex!  0v0

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: March 08, 2014, 07:14:30 AM
I personally never tired of gliding around Arkham City. If anything, I really started to like it after obtaining the grapple upgrade, which made travel fast and smooth.

Prior to the upgrade, moving around the city was pretty dull.

Batman Arkham City Soundtrack - Main Theme (Track #1)

I always try to post that theme when talking about Batman music.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: May 22, 2014, 12:23:30 AM
For something labeled a gameplay trailer, there really isn't much of that. Just because it's in-engine doesn't make it gameplay...

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: May 22, 2014, 12:36:29 AM
Looks pretty sweet.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: May 22, 2014, 12:45:54 AM
Ain't gonna lie, the Batmobile sold it for me by itself. This game is tempting me to pick up a PS4.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: June 04, 2014, 12:25:35 AM
Official Batman: Arkham Knight -- Batmobile Battle Mode Reveal

Bad news is that the game is delayed until 2015.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: June 10, 2014, 09:09:05 AM
Looks pretty [tornado fang]ing spectacular!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: September 26, 2014, 06:33:38 AM

Man, so difficult to decide between the two.

Now we just need more footage!

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: November 26, 2014, 05:43:01 AM
*Insert obligatory still not feeling the Batmobile post here*

The rest looks good though.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: November 26, 2014, 05:55:40 PM
*Insert obligatory still not feeling the Batmobile post here*

The rest looks good though.

Really? Seems like it really adds a new level of gane design that wouldn't be possible with just Batman. To each their own I suppose.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: November 27, 2014, 12:34:36 AM
Well sure, but the stuff they're doing with it doesn't seem right somehow. The hover strafing around stuff and shooting stuff in particular doesn't sit well, for a character/series that has been more about being sneaking around instead of head on confrontation. Sure the combat system was good, but usually the goal was to not be seen. The one exception to that was the boss battles, and most people weren't a fan of those.

Note: I am not one of those "Batman doesn't use guns!" people. I know the Batmobile has more than once had armaments in it. Heck, one of my favourite Batman movies is the '89 one, and I'm pretty sure he kills people in that one!

Judgement remains until the game is out, but my internal alarms are going off in the meantime nonetheless. At best I'll be pleasantly surprised, at worst I'll have seen it coming.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: November 27, 2014, 12:53:19 AM
In any case, that game is going to make me get a PS4

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: November 27, 2014, 12:56:40 AM
Well sure, but the stuff they're doing with it doesn't seem right somehow. The hover strafing around stuff and shooting stuff in particular doesn't sit well, for a character/series that has been more about being sneaking around instead of head on confrontation. Sure the combat system was good, but usually the goal was to not be seen. The one exception to that was the boss battles, and most people weren't a fan of those.

Note: I am not one of those "Batman doesn't use guns!" people. I know the Batmobile has more than once had armaments in it. Heck, one of my favourite Batman movies is the '89 one, and I'm pretty sure he kills people in that one!

Judgement remains until the game is out, but my internal alarms are going off in the meantime nonetheless. At best I'll be pleasantly surprised, at worst I'll have seen it coming.

Batman has to confront an army now. The city is being torn apart, from the looks of it.

Constantly sneaking around would not be efficient enough for a "war" on this scale. They're hitting HARD, and he needs to hit back with full force, as well. Sure, there's still stealth elements because he's Batman, and that silent approach works well for smaller groups.

But as you can see, the Batmobile is primarily used to battle against tanks/armored vehicles that would otherwise be difficult for Batman to destroy using just his standard gadgets. It's time to break out the big toys.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: November 27, 2014, 01:12:45 AM
Batman has to confront an army now. The city is being torn apart, from the looks of it.

Constantly sneaking around would not be efficient enough for a "war" on this scale. They're hitting HARD, and he needs to hit back with full force, as well. Sure, there's still stealth elements because he's Batman, and that silent approach works well for smaller groups.

But as you can see, the Batmobile is primarily used to battle against tanks/armored vehicles that would otherwise be difficult for Batman to destroy using just his standard gadgets. It's time to break out the big toys.
While all true, this is because they chose to go down that route. They didn't have to; they wanted to. This is all fine and dandy, but the decision to go that route doesn't sit well with me personally.

Maybe I'm just crazy though. I wasn't a fan of City or Origins, while most other people loved... well, at least City. I'll probably still give this a shot at some point, but a Day 1 buy this is not.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: November 27, 2014, 01:29:05 AM
That's definitely fair. At least think of it this way: This is Rocksteady's last Batman game.

As their last huzzah, what would most fans want from a Batman game? His Batmobile.

Like you stated, they wanted to. Not just for them, but because they know fans would salivate over driving the Batmobile. Rocksteady wanted to have it playable in at least one of the games. In fact, I heard that it was planned for City, but it didn't make the cut due to technical restrictions or something like that.

As the final Arkham installment, it made it all the more crucial to go out with a bang and implement a fully playable Batmobile. That's my theory.