Rockman X3 "Capture Book"

Rodrigo Shin · 3449

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
on: January 06, 2009, 05:49:30 AM
While digging around on Google for something I wanted to find and couldn't (see the "Ancient Theories" thread for further info), I came across an amusing piece of merchandise, for the looks of it, official.

This is titled "Rockman X3 Capture Book", and as far as I can make out of it, it should guide the player throughtout the game, but it seems like a lot if not all of it is illustrated... but not in the manner you'd quite expect.

According to the blogger, who apparently also said they were on their way to throw this guide out, it apparently is in this same vein you're given the stage maps. I was honestly curious, because I've heard much about these capture books and that they indeed contained artwork that even covered gameplay/plot points (like X returning the Armor Parts after each game), so I opened this thread to see if the other Capture Books are anything like htis one or if this is an odd man out, whichever.

Oh, those of you who raged on about the switched eye colors on X4's anime, I fully expect you to do the same for these small illustrations.

Blog's here: http://blog.goo.ne.jp/gyroman_black/cmt/6a7a7c6435950dc4d2c7b21d0ce8450e

If you guys wanna put this up (you know all too well who you are), feel free. Just link the visitors to Ácido Cinza.

The reason for retcon is to cancel out contradictions
a retcon is a last resort to erase a contradiction
Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:58:28 AM
thats pretty cool. I love the little X and Zero caricatures.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:00:23 AM
The art is adorable!

Archer

Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:16:52 AM
lol. That guide is awesome.

Offline marshmallow man

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 10:04:27 AM
I have the guide, and it is from what I can tell partially unique. It's the only Rockman guide I think I have made by that publishing group, perhaps the only one they've made, I'm not sure.

To be sure, it's not uncommon for Rockman guides to have drawn stage maps rather than screenshot ones. Or for them to include short cartoons in them. But these are usually in manga form, either joke-oriented yonkomas (4-panels) or slightly longer more traditional comics that tell a shortened version of the game story, and not often integrated into the maps themselves. It's also not uncommon for a guide to present its own in-house artwork, often as chapter breaks, in addition to official artwork. I think Nintendo Power did quite a bit of that during the early 90s. This particular X3 guide uses a lot of both official artwork and their own, a very rich and colorful guide. I guess it's too bad there aren't more like it, really. But yes, much of Zero's color details (and X's eyes) are off. For the style, it works, though.

Edit: Actually, I did find 2 other books I had by the same publisher (though with some different talent working on the books themselves), for R&F and Soccer. I should have looked harder at more than just my X shelf. But, either of the other guides lacks the unique artwork examples above. The Soccer one has a few B&W yonkomas though.The R&F guide uses all Capcom art, save perhaps backdrops and such.