Red Ash: The Indelible Legend - A Comcept Mega Man Legends style game

Soultrigger · 52316

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Yeah what the hell was up with Call in the anime? They transformed her white, but then went and made another dark skinned female character? What the hell? (Not like they couldn't have made them both dark skinned.)

You know, the truly funny thing about all of this is that if Capcom actually put out a Kickstarter to make that Legends 3 game, the majority of Legends fans would throw money at it without hesitation, even after Capcom essentially spit in their faces!

Oh hell yeah. I know I would. I wouldn't be able to resist. The need is way too high. It has that story conclusion factor backing it hard. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. Even if it was a KS and not just going to happen, I would still praise Capcom for even considering it.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Not to mention Call's kitty hood, it's like they were trying to make Anime Call more girly.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
What I want to know is why the hell she's gray, in the first place.

She's not dark-skinned, in the traditional sense (brown/dark brown). Gray is just an odd pallete choice.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Funny thing is, I like the anime designs for Beck and Tyger better.  Call, yeah, I'd go for the game.  As odd as her grey skin is, it makes her seem like a less obvious Caskett knockoff than her line art actually is.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I like Beck's game design better except for that Letterman Jacket.  It makes me go 'why' everytime I see that thing.  I think Tyger seems taller and slimer in the anime version, maybe the mechanical legs knocked some height on him.  Not sure which version of Tyger I really like better.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I think taking the legs of the game and the upper body of the anime would make the ideal Tyger.

<hr>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpHAdYus04
Man, I was hoping Jim Sterling would talk about Red Ash.  He pretty much nails it from 3:45 to 4:10, when he talks about how the wild accusations against Comcept, while probably not true, are still well deserved, because they did handle the Kickstarter that badly and they do need to be more careful.

We, the rabid fans, have the duty of preaching games like this to the outside world, but we need to remember what the games look like to the outside world.  If it looks suspicious and shady to anyone who isn't willing to blindly pay for Inafune's good name, then Inafune's followers arguing until they're blue in the face isn't going to do a heck of a lot of good.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
I was actually gonna post Jim's rant on how badly Comcept went about trying to fund Red Ash sooner had I not been busy trying to sort my clothes out. He nails the stuff that has been bugging me with the Red Ash Kickstarter debacle. XD

Also, fair warning for anyone who plans on watching the vid Hypershell posted: the last few seconds involves a clip of Konami's, to put it politely, "questionable" direction for the Castlevania IP.

What I want to know is why the hell she's gray, in the first place.

She's not dark-skinned, in the traditional sense (brown/dark brown). Gray is just an odd pallete choice.
That was something has slowly started to bother me more and more over time. I'd wished they went the traditional sense of a dark-skinned character. I wish they went something along the lines of Kitten from Gravity Rush or Tetra from Wind Waker.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I think taking the legs of the game and the upper body of the anime would make the ideal Tyger.
I wish I knew how to draw so I can draw that.

Also I have no idea why I'm not bothered by Call's grey skin.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
How much ZX have you played?  We were subtlely given navy skin in that, they just didn't do it for the face.

That and the fact that anime/japanese games in general have taught us that any color under the sun is fair game for hair, so I guess grey skin isn't too far a leap in that context.

Also, fair warning for anyone who plans on watching the vid Hypershell posted: the last few seconds involves a clip of Konami's, to put it politely, "questionable" direction for the Castlevania IP.
Indeed, but the reaction is well worth it.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Well I beat both ZX and ZXA on Easy but I don't really remember any weird skin tones. 

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Man, I was hoping Jim Sterling would talk about Red Ash.  He pretty much nails it from 3:45 to 4:10, when he talks about how the wild accusations against Comcept, while probably not true, are still well deserved, because they did handle the Kickstarter that badly and they do need to be more careful.

We, the rabid fans, have the duty of preaching games like this to the outside world, but we need to remember what the games look like to the outside world.  If it looks suspicious and shady to anyone who isn't willing to blindly pay for Inafune's good name, then Inafune's followers arguing until they're blue in the face isn't going to do a heck of a lot of good.

Not that I'm disagreeing with any of this, but my problem with this argument is what I said earlier. If this were Capcom running this Kickstarter instead of Comcept and they were actually making/remaking Legends 3, I wholeheartedly believe that Legends fans wouldn't be able to throw money at the screen fast enough despite the fact that Capcom essentially spit in their faces and still, after many years, have yet to offer any kind of business-like compensation for their debacle.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Well I beat both ZX and ZXA on Easy but I don't really remember any weird skin tones.
I believe Hypershell was refering to the black-ish "bodysuit" all the humanoids have. Which I still chalk up as bodysuits instead of skin.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I believe Hypershell was refering to the black-ish "bodysuit" all the humanoids have. Which I still chalk up as bodysuits instead of skin.
I had a feeling he was talking about that and I honestly think they are just body suits as well.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Word of God has said otherwise however. XD

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Dang Word of God messing mah Head Canon. -_-

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Head Canon is still better~ 8D

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Mary_Nelson

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Yeah what the hell was up with Call in the anime? They transformed her white, but then went and made another dark skinned female character? What the hell? (Not like they couldn't have made them both dark skinned.)

I think Studio4C is just so big and famous, and comcept is so tickled pink to be working with them, that nobody is finding their spine and saying that lightening up the skin color of the only one of the main chars with dark skin just looks hella racist.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
It's almost like the Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter where they accidentally made Shantae light-skinned instead of dark, but least WayForward realized their mistake and made her dark-skinned again.

Head Canon senpai, please... '>.>

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I doubt Wayforward "forgot" that Shantae was dark-skinned. She's their own damn character.

They changed it back because people complained about it.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Didn't Comcept or S4C mentioned that the anime is an alternate interpretation of the Red Ash universe? Aka multiverses? So a white Call is just an alternate Call in an alternate universe!!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Supposedly, yeah.  I gotta wonder if the two will tie in at all, the Kickstarters imply no, but I can't imagine that not being awkward.

Head Canon is still better~ 8D
Agreed.  And, you could see this as a positive or a negative, but word of god makes Ashe's design a LOT more suggestive than you'd think.  I gotta wonder if maybe not all of the artists/designers were on the same page.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
They said one of the themes was going to be parallel worlds but I'm not sure if they will cross.  If they do and the anime art hasn't updated Call it's going to be really awkward.  Hell it would be awkward with Tyger since the conversation about game Tyger's legs is going to come up immediately.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
I doubt Wayforward "forgot" that Shantae was dark-skinned. She's their own damn character.

They changed it back because people complained about it.

Yeah that was bullshit. I complained to them too. No reason for it at all.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Supposedly, yeah.  I gotta wonder if the two will tie in at all, the Kickstarters imply no, but I can't imagine that not being awkward.
Agreed.  And, you could see this as a positive or a negative, but word of god makes Ashe's design a LOT more suggestive than you'd think.  I gotta wonder if maybe not all of the artists/designers were on the same page.
Ashe is a rebel. 8D

As for crossovers... Interdimensional travel solves everything!
Extra points if the interdimensional portal is the Moon. 8D