Former Nintendo President Hiroshi Yamauchi Passes Away at 85

Mirby · 1233

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Just as the topic states, Hiroshi Yamauchi has passed away. This guy was responsible for helping transform Nintendo from playing card manufacturer to video game giant over his 53-year term with the company. He stepped down as President in 2002 (he was succeeded by Satoru Iwata) and became chairman of the board of directors. Three years later, he stepped down from that position, partly because of age and partly because he felt the company was in good hands. He also refused his retirement pension (estimated at between $9-14 million) and let Nintendo have it, feeling that they'd do more with it.

So yeah, thoughts?

Source

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 07:02:48 PM
Thanks for all you did!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:51:22 AM
Huh, I didn't know that bit about him refusing his pension...

Yamauchi was a bit eccentric if you ever actually listened to him talk.  But maybe some businesses need a little dose of crazy?  I mean, how the hell else would Nintendo have become the electronic gaming icon that they did after the industry had collapsed right before they entered it?

Nintendo, and gaming itself, would never be what they are today if not for Yamauchi.  Millions of thanks and smiles go out to him. 

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)