Mirby · 1603

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
on: January 30, 2013, 08:44:11 AM
So thought this would be an interesting topic to explore. Are there any games you played with zero expectations and went on to love them?

Here's one of mine.

Dragon Quest VIII

I had the original 4 DQ games for NES (or rather, Dragon Warrior) and didn't like them. Sold them, actually, just because I found no joy in them. Then one day I was at my uncle's house and he suggested I check it out.

I fell in love instantly (mostly because of Yangus and his Cockney accent), and from there went on to play the other DQ games. And realized I love them just as much.

Funny how time can change one's tastes.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 08:55:15 AM
Chrono Trigger.

I'll explain. You see, younger PB was really not into RPGs. Older PB is still really not into RPGs. However, this game was, and still is, Ninja Lou's favorite game of all time. He pretty much forced me to try it out. I expected to dislike it due to said RPG non-like. Then I played it one day...and played it...and continued playing it for the entire day until my body could not physically and mentally stay awake anymore (I believe around 7-8AM). Needless to say, I was hooked.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:59:16 AM
Hotel Dusk.
Not much for detective novels, and I think I mostly got it for the novelty (ha) and art, but the atmosphere and puzzles won me over.

Just Cause 2
I'm not good at setting myself arbitrary goals in sandbox games - doesn't feel like it'd be satisfying, usually - but am rather enjoying this one.

Mostly, though, I could tell you of games I thought I'd like that I didn't...

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 11:42:49 AM
Last year, for my birthday, my girlfriend said she was giving me any game of my choice. At that time I wasn't really looking forward to any game in particular, so I picked Dark Souls almost at random.

I expected Dark Souls to be okay, but one of those games I'd play once and never touch again. Didn't think it was my style, because major RPG customization usually isn't my style. But oh, boy... at 150 hours, it's one of my most played games of the generation already. And definitely in my top 10 favorites of all time.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 12:59:41 PM
The Walking Dead

[spoiler]It didn't have to end the way it did, but at least Clementine survived. It'll be good to see what happens in Season 2 later.[/spoiler]

Got the whole set for very cheap during a XMas sale, the first episode was free. It was worth it.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 01:08:15 PM
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness.
Yes, I like CV 64. I like it more than the GB games. I honestly think that it got the right atmosphere. Dracula looks awesome and it has some nice ideas.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 02:02:06 PM
CV64 had some pretty cool ideas, but man, the level design. When it's not a maze, it's platforming hell.

That said, I do plan on giving it a second chance, if we ever get it on VC...

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 06:24:06 PM
Mischief Makers
When I first played this game my bother borrowed an N64 friend from a friend of his, I never knew about it, but when I played it I was in love. This is one of the games that made me into fan of Trasure's works. The story was something out of an off-the-wall anime and the gameplay embraced (or rather influenced) my love of beating up goons by grabbing one of the goons and throwing the goons into a crowd of goons. It was fun and challenging (except for the sprinting a marathon for a gold gem, that was kind of a pain) and very under-rated for a platformer.

BANZAI PECAN: The Last Hope for the Young Century
Truth be told that I never, in my life, heard of this game until I saw this thing on Desura and I have yet to play the full game (no thanks to finanncial here, ugh) and this game was in development for 4 years, but when I played the one of the earlier demos (which has problems with frame-rate running on brother's souped-up PC for some reason), part of my skepticism struck me as "Hey, this could be the 2D God Hand that we've been fighting for". The basic premise has you, a school girl gifted with the powers of a badass magical girl fighter, to beat up a group of succubi calling themselves the Sexilicous Seven and thier legions of bunny-girls to rescue her boyfriend. To me, this game needs more love; it's sad to see FPS 'tards label it as crap first without so much as even trying it out. I get the feeling some people are starting to hate 2D brawlers now (namely games Kung Fu Master and Splatterhouse where it's flat 2D playing field oppose to Streets of Rage or Scott Pilgrim) just like shoot 'em ups. Sure, the character art looks amateur (and aren't some indie games prune to this?), but since this was a brawler parody, that didn't bother me as much.

The developer is definitely working on making the game better and I'm seeing some improvements in the gameplay with the little videos up on YouTube to show it. Plan on getting at Desura if I get the chance to. I think I've blabbed too much for a game I doubt much people here would care about...

The Ace Attorney/Turnabout Trial series
I was never expecting to have this much fun with a visual novel before, I'm glad I did since I'm trying to broaden my gaming horizons with visual novels and this is a good start for me. It feels great to do the detective work to prove someone right or wrong and seeing the results pay off more than other games I've played lately.

Parasite Eve 1
This was something I was trying out on a whim when I used to have PS2, one of the best decisions I've ever made. The story and gameplay intrigued me more than FF7 and I loved how it was like Resident Evil with an RPG combat system à la Chrono Trigger (which I've yet to play on VC or DS sadly). The post-end game bonus dungeon is really good, especially since it took place in the Chrysler Building and it felt sorta like a rogue-like. Speaking of rogue-likes...

Izuna 2: The Unemployed Ninja Returns
I found this game at an F.Y.E. one day for $20 used but it was like brand-new, and for a time I was quite addicted to this game. The story is humorous and the game was difficult for me since I never played a rogue-like before, but that didn't stop me from enjoying story. I really Romantic Fool's artstyle, his way of drawing to me is unique and I liked how he does his coloring. The fact that I got the Amazon pre-order bonus mini-poster was just bonus points for me.

Einhänder
[spoiler=Hot-blooded fanboy-ism]Jesus, Square-Enix, when will you take a break from RPGs with angsty pretty girls and boys and make badass sci-fi cyber-punk shoot 'em ups like THIS again?! I knew little about this game but I when I decided to emulate it, DAMN, I was taken by surprise. The soundtrack is badass, the game has that old-school Contra feel with its weapons, the mecha designs are cool, dat gratuitous German, and this all this came from SQUARESOFT, those guys that made RPGs for a living! They should make an HD re-release on XBLA or something because shooters like this needs more love![/spoiler]

That's all I got for now... '>.>

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:37:10 PM
I really need to get the second Izuna someday, I loved the first one though I didn't finish it.  I'm at max level but the final level is so danm hard. 

Anyway the only game I think that was like that for me may have been God Eater Burst.  It wasn't a RPG and it really kicked my ass hard.  Chi Yous, Sariels, and Vajra's are always annoying to fight and the upgraded versions are near impossible for me to fight by myself and NPCs so I haven't finished the extra story.  It can get a bit reptitive since there's only like 5 environments to fight in but I really think the game has great potential from the sequel.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 01:09:46 AM
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

So, played SSB Melee, Marth and Roy are awesome, but they have next to no presence in any games localized afterwards. So, I passed.  Then one day, I spot PoR in a Sears bargain bin.  Why not?

Positively hooked by the third chapter.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 02:00:30 AM
NieR
An acquaintance would not stop going on about it. It became something of a running gag between me and him with my refusal to give the game a try. One day I sank and rented the game for something to play on my PS3 which had maybe 2 other games at the time. Dug it a lot more than I would've though despite all the many hindrances and repetition. I think the soundtrack really helped to sell it for me. Also the story that just throws all RPG conventions out the window in what one may expect for a resolution. Well, provided the player goes through the 2nd half enough times to unlocked the extra 3 endings.

Sonic Colours and Unleashed to some extent. Heard nothing but good things about Colours so I gave it a whirl with little to no expectations, the last Sonic game I played before it I think was Rush Adventure. Had a real good time. At some point I also rented Unleashed. I think it was the exact same time as NieR because of some 2-for-1 deal the local store had. The daytimes stages I had minimal issues with. The werehog stages were tedious but nothing to utterly turn me off. Might've been playing a bit of God of War at the time so that helped.

Aaand Borderlands 2. It was a gift so I only felt obligated to play some of it at first. Got real into things about 2 hours in. So many goddamn hours I've lost to it now. ;;