Protoman Blues · 200130

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1225 on: December 18, 2015, 08:02:10 AM
WRONG THREAD ON LAST POST MY BAD

At any rate, my friend spent the last thirty minutes ranting to me about how bad the movie is. I had pretty low expectations from the beginning (sorry) but he basically confirmed it.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1226 on: December 18, 2015, 11:16:26 AM
Bad compared to what though? I'm actually kind of curious to see why. For the record I enjoyed it, but then again I went in with no expectations whatsoever (neither good nor bad). Was it perfect? No... but it was miles better than the prequels.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1227 on: December 19, 2015, 06:45:39 AM
so star wars was good

enjoyed it

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1228 on: December 20, 2015, 11:02:27 PM
Alright, I'm off to see it. Be back later with impressions.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1229 on: December 21, 2015, 12:29:01 AM
So the enterprise is clearly destroyed pretty early into Star Trek 3 it would seem--did the poor ship ever get a chance to WIN any fight it was in?  O^O

Gets disabled in one hit by the Narada
Gets pulverized by the USS Vengance in the sequel.
Seems to literally get torn apart by the swarm ships in this new trailer.

Eh I'm a trekkie I'll love this movie regardless. Wonder what the ship they are trying to fix up in the trailer looks like? 8D

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1230 on: December 21, 2015, 02:53:27 AM
First off; BB8's thumbs up game is on point.

Anyways, it was good cinematography. Really easy to watch movie. One of the better composed movies I've seen this year. (And that's going against Fury Road.)

I
HATED
Rey.
MARY SUE
A
R
Y

S
U
E

but everything else aside, it was okay. Finn was easily my preferred of the two protagonists because he had actual character. Antagonists leave a lot to be desired. I don't get what Kylo's deal is but he is a pretty badly-written character.

Other than that, no real complaints. It was better than I expected, going in with almost no expectations.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1231 on: December 21, 2015, 03:51:00 AM
First off; BB8's thumbs up game is on point.

Anyways, it was good cinematography. Really easy to watch movie. One of the better composed movies I've seen this year. (And that's going against Fury Road.)

I
HATED
Rey.
MARY SUE
A
R
Y

S
U
E

but everything else aside, it was okay. Finn was easily my preferred of the two protagonists because he had actual character. Antagonists leave a lot to be desired. I don't get what Kylo's deal is but he is a pretty badly-written character.

Yeah finn was pretty cool.

And Rey being a mary sue, well what would you say Luke was in New Hope? Sure he didn't really do much Lightsaber-ing in that but he was clearly pretty good at that force [parasitic bomb] already.

Kylo, well he's just a child with temper issues and a love for the Vader.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1232 on: December 21, 2015, 03:54:33 AM
Well I kind of give Luke the benefit of the doubt because the concept of mary sue/gary stu didn't really exist in cinema back then. In a modern production I expect much more. Sounds hypocritical but that's my stance on it.

Kylo was your typical 13 year old edgelord.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1233 on: December 21, 2015, 06:42:57 PM
Kylo needs some anger management.  Holy [parasitic bomb].

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1234 on: December 21, 2015, 09:16:33 PM
He was literally spending three or four scenes having tantrums.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1235 on: December 22, 2015, 04:23:59 AM
Finally saw Force Awakens. Good stuff. I wouldn't go so far as to call Rey a Mary Sue, but sure she could have maybe had a few more shortcomings like Finn. I feel that'll get expanded in Episode VIII since they only ever gave hints about her full story. Only real questionable thing with her competence that seems Sue-ish is

[spoiler]managing a full Jedi mind trick. I'd say the lightsabre fight too maybe but even Finn managed that for a bit[/spoiler]

otherwise she was just the stoic and headstrong one of the lead duo with some vaguely tough upbringing.

[spoiler]I saw Han's death and Kylo's identity coming, but good god I was still upset by the way the former went[/spoiler]

On an unrelated note, I've spent the past month or so going through every single James Bond film. They're about a solid 30-70 for top notch stuff while the rest are enjoyable for their camp and in my opinion, only one is complete garbage.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1236 on: December 22, 2015, 05:36:27 AM
>Rey
>Stoic
what

She would have been more enjoyable if she wasn't DA BEST PILOT and Han didn't spend half the movie singing her praises.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1237 on: December 22, 2015, 05:46:46 AM
Uhhh, Poe was CLEARLY the best pilot.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1238 on: December 22, 2015, 05:47:53 AM
She was pretty no-nonsense compared to Finn wanting to back out constantly. She was also fairly level-headed up til that one freak out but managed to come swinging back. Maybe "collected" was the better word. The pilot stuff was nothing new with all the Luke parallels but mostly there to get on Han's good side with his parental figure role to her.

I'm not gonna say she was handled exceptionally well. Finn was still better, yea. But I think tossing out "Mary Sue" is a bit much by the traditional definition.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1239 on: December 22, 2015, 10:41:53 PM
So I've just heard some theory that

[spoiler]Rey is actually a descendent of Obi-Wan, in which case it kind of falls heavily in line with her mannerisms and competence, potentially even more if she's simultaneously a Skywalker. The use of her natural british accent while Finn's actor hides his own seems particularly noteworthy to this.[/spoiler]

also where's the old merge button.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1240 on: December 22, 2015, 10:54:08 PM
The double-post button has been gone for like a year.

You guys are allowed to double post as much as you want (as long as the posts are worth the bump).

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1241 on: December 23, 2015, 12:59:51 AM
On an unrelated note, I've spent the past month or so going through every single James Bond film. They're about a solid 30-70 for top notch stuff while the rest are enjoyable for their camp and in my opinion, only one is complete garbage.
And which one was the garbage?

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1242 on: December 23, 2015, 01:25:48 AM
The Man With the Golden Gun. Its entirety is summed up in the first 30 seconds past the standard gun barrel sequence; Christopher Lee emerges from a swim and while drying off, the camera zooms up on his hairy chest to make emphasis of the character's third nipple. It's the weirdest of the bunch in a "why am I watching this" sense. There's plenty of camp in most films, but this one is just plain dumb. Especially when Bond is captured and the henchman in charge elects to put him in a karate dojo to fight to death, which he easily escapes.

Also the entire final act and proper showdown is only there because the lead girl got captured. This would be nothing new for the series except it was from her attempting to plant a tracking device at no one's order and after they had already swindled the plot device back. They could have just let Lee walk away and deal with him later.

Moonraker is also often pretty poorly regarded, but I rather enjoyed it up until it actually got into space and went full on sci-fi with laser guns out of nowhere. It was a Star Wars cash-in that recycled the premise of the Bond film immediately before it. The choice of Venice and Brasil for the locales in the first half helped save it for me, I think.

Other hated ones were alright, or I liked enough for their unintended comedic value. Especially the Pierce Bosnan films.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1243 on: December 23, 2015, 03:47:16 AM
You Only Live Twice and Moonraker are my favorites!

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1244 on: December 23, 2015, 04:38:33 AM
I think I'd have to go with the rather stock choices of From Russia With Love and The Spy Who Loved Me. I also rather enjoyed Timothy Dalton's only two movies for having some of the better plots. Except for the sudden ninjas in Licence to Kill. That was such a mood killer.

Also I'm still listening to a selection of the opening themes over and over, but Thunderball is in a league of its own.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1245 on: December 23, 2015, 05:13:13 AM
The Timothy Dalton Bond movies are excellent. He is a very underrated Bond. The action scenes in The Living Daylights are excellent, and Dalton has a fantastic mix of suave & serious.

My least favorite Bond movie is probably Die Another Day, which is also one of my least favorite Bond songs.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1246 on: December 23, 2015, 05:31:47 AM
The highlight of Die Another Day was John Cleese in the full role of Q. He had the character down so well. Too bad they rebooted after.

Q in general was by far one of my favourite characters, along with the original Moneypenny played by Lois Maxwell. Both characters' dialogue and quips were so consistently good.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1247 on: December 23, 2015, 05:33:51 AM
Yeah, him as Q is probably the best part of that movie.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1248 on: December 23, 2015, 05:46:54 AM
I hate every other Bond. Timothy is one of my least favorites, along with Daniel Craig.

But hey, at least they're not Lazenby.
I'll say it again for emphasis.
At LEAST they're not Lazenby.

Can we get a new Bond though seriously?

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1249 on: December 23, 2015, 06:02:58 AM
I really have no preference in terms of Bond actor, rather just take each film for what it is mostly. Lazenby doesn't really detract much from his sole movie for me, though it's also carried by the best Blofeld and the ending.

What I really liked about Dalton was his cold blooded tone and plan in Licence to Kill. Despite being driven by revenge, he still mostly keeps his head and does some great manipulation to take down his enemy inside out. He would've had a flawless victory if he didn't get recognized right at the climax. I want to hold that film in even higher regard if it just weren't for aforementioned goddamn ninjas.