Thoughts on MM9 DLC

Satoryu · 3564

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
on: November 08, 2008, 06:37:59 AM
i've finally been able to check out all the DLC. i'm not really impressed with any of it.

at first, i didn't really like Proto Man mode. i didn't think it was different enough from the main game, and the charge shot was useless. the latter is still true. but i could see myself playing that mode a little more.

i find Endless Attack to be very boring. the fact that the same room sets repeat after a while just kills it for me. though the music is bitchin.

Special Stage i find lame. it's a rehash of the other stages in the game, including every miniboss and the Wily 2 Shark (which i admit is pretty nice). Stage 5' didn't really do it for me in Chi no Rondo, and the same applies here. though i do respect Capcom for not going with the obvious choice of Bass as the boss.

Hero Mode was the worst of the modes. it didn't feel all that different at all, less than Proto Man mode. i was able to beat it in one sitting, half an hour, maybe three deaths altogether.

Superhero Mode is a step up. well, more like a whole flight of steps up. the jump from Hero to Superhero difficulty is huge. Superhero took me a few days to complete. personally, i don't like this type of mode, cause the amount of enemies present is just too much for Mega Man imo. it works for Contra, but not here. but i know some people like brutally difficult games, so for them, i'd have to reccommend they skip over Hero and go right to Superhero. use that extra dollar somewhere else, like on a 20 minute phone call.

i know people disagree with me on pretty much everything. and that's what this thread is for. post your opinions.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flok

• Passionate Gamer
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Killsringman
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 09:35:46 PM
Proto Man Mode was okay. I agree, the charge is hardly useful, only at very specific moments. 99% of the time it is better to spam your regular buster.

I still have to play with Endless Attack a little more in order for me to rate it. From what I have seen, it's been pretty nice.

Hero Mode was alright, but I have high expectations for Superhero mode, especially after reading your post. The mode cannot be as cruel as Mr.Perfect, because that challenge is truly difficult for me to achieve. Speaking of that challenge, now that I think about it, it really is not a "fair" challenge, it's actually the hardest task in the whole game! I always considered myself a good Mega Man gamer, but I never thought of this particular challenge when playing other Mega Man games. Just think of cruel games such as X6, and then try Mr.Perfect on them. Oh My God. Good thing to know that it is entirely optional though.

And as for Special Stage, I have only played it once, but other than the decent music, I will not play this stage that much I think. Fake Man was a surprise the 1st time, but now he is awkward to fight.

Remember though that the DLC are just bonuses with a charge.

Flok's favorites:

Offline Techokami

• Sonic Retro Tech Member
  • Cyberelf
  • For use only on NTSC Genesis systems.
    • View Profile
    • holenet.info
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 07:51:20 PM
Personally, I found the DLC to be a way for Capcom to turn a $10 game into an $18 game (IIRC you can't sell a game for more than $15 via WiiWare), because all these add-ons would have worked better as regular unlockables.  IMHO you all would probably have enjoyed the extras a bit more if you had to earn them by playing the game instead of forking over more cash.

Offline MegaRock

• 1Up Helmet
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 07:35:08 PM
I was wondering, since this is the topic for the MM9 DLC, do we know if there will be any more DLC from this point forward?
I've snagged all of the DLC so far. Like others have said, it's really hit-or-miss, but I like where this stuff is going... So, again -- was this it for DLC? Will there be more? Do any of us actually know?

Thanks;

Anyway -- My opinions:

Proto Man mode is, indeed, a bit disappointing. I enjoy the difficulty, but there just felt like there was something missing... ( A Proto-Story? )

Hero and Superhero modes... I downloaded them, yeah. But it was really just to support Capcom ( More directly, support Classic Mega Man ) in my own little way. I have played through Hero Mode, and it was fun for what it was worth. After an hour with Superhero Mode I had to play something else. My frustration was obvious to anyone within a block of my house.

Endless Attack is fantastic. I enjoy this mode immensely. Just hopping on and pounding through as many screens as possible before having to hoof it to work is a nice way to start a day.

The Special Stage is fun, but I was saddened that it was just an addition to the Time Attack mode. Oh well.

Anyway, here's to Mega Man 10! Cheers!

" For starters I'm gonna do something about those robots! "- Mega Man, Mega Man 9

Offline Flok

• Passionate Gamer
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Killsringman
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:24:46 PM
Oh boy, now that I think about it, Mega Man 10 is entirely possible. Mega Man 9 has done very well so far.  8)

This could very well be the end of Mega Man 9's DLC, although I would have no objections for more.

Flok's favorites: