What Would Make X3 a Truly Great Game

Satoryu · 14668

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
on: March 27, 2009, 01:01:45 AM
We all know Mega Man X3, right? The game that finally let you play as Zero, albeit briefly. One of the harder to come by Mega Man games on the SNES.

When I was first getting into Mega Man, I thought this game was the best thing since sliced bread. But now that I've grown up, grown wiser, and grown out of the Zero fanboy stage, I realize now that this game is absolute trash compared to the two before it. And it didn't have to be. If Capcom played their cards right with this game, it could've been fabulous, sexcellent, e.p.i.c, or any other positive adjective commonly thrown around here. And I'm going to tell you how this could be possible.

---------------------------------------

First off is something I mentioned right at the beginning: Playable Zero. I realize that in X3 this was just conceived as a bonus feature, something optional you never had to use. And honestly, why would you? A full powered X makes Zero obsolete. You can only use Zero for 1/3 of a stage. He can't fight bosses. If he dies, you can't use him again in that playthrough. Really, Zero's only worth in the game is getting killed by the bug miniboss in Doppler 2 so X can get the Z Saber and [twin slasher] bosses. His sprite is also really big compared to X. They're supposed to be about the same size.

Increase Zero's usefulness. Treat Zero as a special weapon of sorts. When you call him, he will be the active character for a specific amount of time. Or rather, until his weapon energy meter runs out. And this could be anywhere, even boss fights. There's no reason why you should lose him forever if he dies, either.

Zero should also have his own playable extra mode, like secondary protagonists in Castlevania games. No story, no X. Also, Zero could be differentiated from X. You know, like X4 and on did. Less importance on the Z Buster, and more focus on the Z Saber. Assign the buster to a button, and the saber to another. Give him the three step combo and all that jazz. Special weapons from bosses, too. Rising slash, sword plant, spinny move, Giga Attack, etc.

I would say use the now de facto tag team system for X and Zero, but that's probably best saved for another game. Maverick Hunter X3, perhaps. Capcom, I hope you're taking notes.

Next is the Armor Upgrades. They're terrible. The up Air Dash is really clunky. The overlapping buster upgrade sucks eggs. The body armor doesn't help too much. And the helmet is only useful the first few times playing the game. Something needs to be done with them. Especially the buster.

The placement of them is also terrible. You need the Buster for two of the other capsules. You're supposed to need the Air Dash for the Buster, too, but it is possible to get the Buster with only Tornado Fang and tricky wall jumps. Placement for heart tanks and sub tanks is also bad. Again, you need the buster for most of it. The tasks to get these things could be modified a little. And the capsules maybe swapped around MHX style.

Also, the pink capsules are just as useless, if not moreso. Why would you only want to settle for one of the four additional upgrades when you can have all four at once?

One of the game's problems is there's such a thing as too much. Equipment wise, they tried to give a load of weaponry for X to use. Too bad they're extremely situational. Either increase their usefulness, or get rid of them. The boss weapons are some of the worst in the series. Especially the charged versions of them. They could all be improved upon. The different Ride Armors was a nice idea with terrible implementation. Just sticking with wild Armors to find would be just dandy.

There's too much going on in the plot, too. Rather, if feels like there's too much because the story has a lot of info that isn't fleshed out completely. Bit and Byte, for one, feel tacked on. Either their role in the story needs to be improved so fighting them makes more sense, or they need to be dropped. Vile is also a bit too much for the game. It's nice to see him come back, and his role is much better than Bit and Byte's, but still they could have done better with him. Having all three of them is a bit of a killer, though.

Now for some nitpicks:
- Why did the music quality take such a dive from X2 to X3? It sounds so fuzzy most of the time. And some of the melodies themselves are crap too. They're either too short (Doppler's theme), or just sound like a trainwreck (Blizzard Buffalo, the epilogue).
- The smallfry enemies in this game are cheaper than they need to be. They have really high defense, too. A charge shot does nothing to them.
- The spriting sucks too. As mentioned before, Zero looks a foot taller than X based on the sprites. Sigma's head is really tiny. It's smaller than the upgraded buster, which is needlessly big. Most bosses are extremely lacking in animations, too. Hell, most of them enter the fight just by dropping in from the top of the screen. Boss designs suck too. Neon Tiger looks 5% tiger and 95% Slash Man with icky colors. And don't get me started on Volt Catfish.
- Why didn't they continue with the Street Fighter moves? I mean, the Z Saber Wave is nice. I'm just surprised they didn't continue with the trend. Did they not think Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku would translate well to X? Did they not even consider using a different character's move, like Sonic Boom or Tiger Knee? They must've at some point afterwards; the Nova Strike ain't too different from Psycho Crusher.

X3 feels like a rushed game. Capcom had a lot of ideas. They never fully fleshed them out, but went ahead and crammed them into the game anyway. That also took away from finer points of the game. If Capcom were to include the refinements I listed above, I feel X3 may very well have been the best X game on the system, and a definite contender for best X game period. If a Maverick Hunter X3 were to ever roll around with these changes, all the better.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:08:07 AM
I disagree.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 01:15:48 AM
Just play X4 and stop retconning games

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:18:35 AM
look up the definition of retcon, would you?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 01:32:36 AM
grown out of the Zero fanboy stage

Increase Zero's usefulness.
Zero should also have his own playable extra mode

You sure?
You know...even if Zero could have originally meant to be the hero, the saga was called Mega Man X for a reason.

Why would you only want to settle for one of the four additional upgrades when you can have all four at once?

Why bother with any armor past this game when you can just Nova Strike everything?

Bit and Byte, for one, feel tacked on.

Of course. Zain, Geemel, Dynamo, Agile or Violen were much deeper mid-villain characters than them.

Why did the music quality take such a dive from X2 to X3?

I don't see this dive you speak of. X3 has many memorable themes.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 01:38:29 AM
Yeah, what he said.
I don't want to go through each point and say "Nuh-uh!" or "That's just YOUR opinion!", because it all boils down to "I disagree.". It's not like we're going to reach a common middle ground anyway.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 02:02:28 AM
You sure?

yeah i'm sure. just because i want to give Zero fairer treatment, i'm a Zero fanboy? X3 was billed as the first game to have Zero playable. and as it is, X3 doesn't deliver well with that bill. i'm just proposing a way that would better the experience.

Zain, Geemel, Dynamo, Agile or Violen were much deeper mid-villain characters than them.

that is very true, despite your sarcasm.

X3 has many memorable themes.

i don't deny that. i love quite a few songs in the game. Toxic Seahorse, Tunnel Rhino, and Crush Crawfish, just to name a few. i'm more complaining about the fuzziness of the instruments. but on average, X3's soundtrack was weaker than X1 and X2's in terms of melody.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 02:31:57 AM
It should have 4-player co-op and 15 different levels of difficulty, including Dante Must Die Mode and Ultra Violence.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 05:47:02 AM
Treat Zero as a special weapon of sorts.

Damn my perverted mind!   8D

As for X3, yeah I think that it had some issue I'd probably resolve too.  First off, I agree that Zero would have been better if Playable after you beat the game.  Heh, they could even reverse the role in the opening stage, except that X doesn't have Zero's kick ass theme.  Speaking of Zero's theme, give it the Vile MHX route where it just comes on every [tornado fang]ing level you play.  Yeah, that theme is just that bad-ass in the eyes and ears of Protoman Blues.  Also, make it where you can swap out Zero for DomincanZero.  Why?  Why the [tornado fang] not? This is MY dream X3 game!

As for music, I actually have no real issue with it, except for a few tracks.  Those tracks are namely Blizzard Buffalo (still my least favorite X song ever), the Boss Battle, Dr. Doppler Stage 2 (I [tornado fang]ing LOVE DOPPLER STAGE 1), and Dr. Doppler's fight theme. Dr. Light's theme was pretty weak too.  Other than those, I thought it had a decent soundtrack.

Weapons, yeah the weapons were kinda meh.  Cool ideas, just not executed in the best manner.  I still do love giant spinning Slashy Death Yo-Yo though!  As for the Buster, it's a step down from X2's Buster, but then every buster is in my eyes!

I think that's about it.  Overall I still do love playing X3 though.  Yeah, I like X1 & X2 more, in terms of SNES X games, but I still do like it.

Oh yeah, one more complaint... WAY TOO MANY [tornado fang]ing DOORS.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 06:09:09 AM
WAY TOO MANY [tornado fang]ing DOORS.

Jesus Christ how did i forget this?

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 07:03:22 AM
Also, make it where you can swap out Zero for DomincanZero.  Why?  Why the [tornado fang] not? This is MY dream X3 game!

I want to be in a "dream X game" too! Not just the doctor in the capsule... >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 10:27:15 AM
look up the definition of retcon, would you?
Yeah, I knew I used the wrong word, but what the ffff.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 11:56:15 AM
[...] Also, make it where you can swap out Zero for DomincanZero. [...]
Somehow I feel highly praised, excited, appalled and ashamed of myself at reading this.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 03:21:54 PM
Somehow I feel highly praised, excited, appalled and ashamed of myself at reading this.

Then my work here is done!  XD

Offline Mega Greasy Houdini Tek 54321

• B-Class Hunter
  • BOOYAKASHA!!!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 03:34:22 PM
Also, make it where you can swap out Zero for DomincanZero.

Especially when he has a kickass gunblade!

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 05:46:44 PM
please stop

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 10:20:37 PM
Just play X4
Quoted for truth.

Seriously, though, you want to know how to fix X3?  Very simple:

Give it a buster upgrade that doesn't suck.

Yeah, I'd like to see Zero given a better treatment.  But X3 is a great game as-is, the problem is that arsenal is 9/10 of a MegaMan game.  When you enjoy an unarmored run more than a normal one, you know something got screwed up.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 10:24:58 PM
The buster upgrade was really the only thing I disliked about MMX3.

So, in my humble opinion, it already is a great game. The optional/hidden bosses and gold upgrades were the best part of it.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 01:01:09 AM
Oh yeah, one more complaint... WAY TOO MANY [tornado fang]ing DOORS.

ARGH, THANK YOU!

I dunno what the level designer was thinking with all those doors. I mean, sure, it was an easy way to try and separate the mini-bosses and set up the limits for Zero being playable, but it was just TOO MUCH. Bad level design! Bad!  -u-'

Other than that...I can echo the sentiments for the Buster and Air Dash upgrades. Upward Dashing should have been handled way better than it was...and the fact that you basically NEEDED it for the last section of the game (pre and post Sigma) just made it more painful to use it, than it should've to be.

As for Zero? Making him into a designated "Special Weapon" would have been an interesting thing. But honestly, playing as an "Non Upgraded Buster" X, so that you could have the short range Saber Slash, was all I really needed to "simulate" the experience of playing as Zero back in the day.  8D

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 01:31:16 AM
I have only a couple of issues with X3:

1 - the fact that upgrades are way too Resident Evil-fied, almost key items, so you have to [for example] collect four things to get something as basic as the Body Part;

and 2 - the X-Buster Part.

Other than those, I think it's only surpassed by X1 and X2. No Street Fighter move? Sure, that did suck. But the Z-Saber and Gold Armor are both incredible secrets. In fact, X3 is littered with them. There's Vile's return in his own level, even more cause-consequence level instances with optional bosses, chips, special weapon attributes.

The collect-a-thon nature of X3 bothers me, too, but I simply ignore most items since I won't use them. In my runs I usually end up with both Foot Parts (normal and chip), the Z-Saber and nothing else. Very stylish.

I don't believe Zero should have been fully developed here. In fact, I think they made him this way on purpose, in order to avoid stealing X's spotlight like the series eventually did. Zero in X3 is almost an easter egg, just a nice touch.

Oh, I remember a 3 - that goddamn merry-go-round soundtrack remix. Yuck.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 02:35:53 AM
...and the fact that you basically NEEDED it for the last section of the game (pre and post Sigma) just made it more painful to use it, than it should've to be.
You need that as much as you need an air-dash in X6.  It's just the easy way out, nothing more. :P

But honestly, playing as an "Non Upgraded Buster" X, so that you could have the short range Saber Slash, was all I really needed to "simulate" the experience of playing as Zero back in the day.  8D
I prefer the actual man in red.  I just play as a non-upgraded X to enjoy the lightning-fast charge time for the saber. 8)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 05:39:00 AM
Oh yeah, I remember one other problem I had with the game too.

Really, it was way too easy.  The Boss A.I. was painfully easy.  LoL, then there's the "Go Get A Sammich" Helmet Sub-Tank Filler chip!  XD

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 01:48:04 PM
I'm torn on the bosses. It's very satisfying to be able to just "own" them with barely a fight, but on the other hand, no challenge - no fun.
Vaguely recall having a super hard time with them the very first time I played and didn't use their weaknesses, but then I was young and inexperienced back then.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 02:32:20 PM
Bosses you say? (click any of them) :cookie:

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 05:54:50 PM
1 - Armour Parts suck ass
2 - So does the music
3 - So does the freaking Boss AI
4 - The level design could have been better
5 - Yeah, Zero is practically useless, what with the ridiculously long charge period and limited areas of possible use.

You know what the game needs to be better? A freaking overhaul from top to bottom, that's what.
Also, I still say X4 is overrated =P