Is there anyone making a classic Rockman fan game that is different?

Irregular Ass-R-Us · 8560

Offline Irregular Ass-R-Us

• Dedicated Pompous Gimpy Douchebag With A Burning Passion! (◥▶◀◤).
  • Robot Master
  • Ultra Super Godly Royal [Top Spin]. (◥▶◀◤)
    • View Profile
Hi fan game developers.

I saw a lot of classic Rockman fan games on this forum and i will say they are really good. But they are all the same (no offense meant). I am sorry if i upset you or angered you but most of the Classic Rockman games are 8-bit and have the same jump and shoot objective. This is kind of getting repetitive and old.

The Classic Rockman fan games i saw hear aren't really different from the classic games on the Famicon/NES and R9 and R10. The difference would be story and new weapons. I also do know hard and difficult game development is (especially on your own) since i am a game developer who has had a lot of sleepless nights and headaches.

But can you guys maybe be more ambitious and maybe do something different to the Classic Series. The reason why its mainly the classic series is because most if not all of the fan games i saw are the same but use a different skin. It doesn't mean their bad but it means that its already been done.

The X series fan games are different and (no offense) but the devs who work on the X series put more ambition. For example JKBs Rockman X Corrupted is really amazing because of its innovation and new ideas such as the exploration,mixing armors,side quests and a Rpg system.Green Biker Dude was something really nice innovative and different.

I understand that making a game is a very long and hard process but in the end the accomplishment feels great and more people would be willing to play. I also know that making a game may take more than 2 years but i think the longer the game is in development, the more better it will be.

I am not saying your games are bad since i played most of them and they are really good but i do think you guys should do something different.

Offline carlos-182

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
You know, I think we are here because we all are fans of Megaman. The most of us had a dream when we were child, that was to make a Megaman game. At least that's still one of my dreams.

We develop games following the same structure of the original Megaman series. I mean, 8 robot bosses, Willy fortress, secret paths, R.U.S.H. hidden stuff, etc.

If you want something different, go ahead! Make your game,... I mean, I'm not being rude, don't take it like that. But if that's your complaint, then make it your dream, your objective. Make a different Megaman game, who knows, maybe it turns out the best Megaman fan game ever.

Take it as a motivation.

I'm developing a Megaman game with everything I always wanted in other fan games.

That's my opinion. Don't try to tell people what to do with their own fan games. Do it yourself, feel free and happy to do it.  owob

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Your right really and i know what you mean. But you took it the wrong way. I never said stop making the games the way they are.

I mean that if someone is making a fan game they could maybe at least try something different. I never said its wrong to make them but discussing with people on forums, most of them would agree with what i am saying. But other than that it was not my intention to force people to change the way they make their games.

I think i worded my first post wrong. What i meant to say really was that when making a fan game people should maybe add some new things. It can be anything really since imagination is a powerful tool and a crucial one to create games. But if people want to make the games they are than that's fine but i would be nice to see a little bit of change.

This was advice really but i think i wrote it wrong so sorry for that. Oh and i saw your Rockman X engine, it was pretty amazing. May i ask which program is best to use for Rockman Games because i am having headaches with MMF2.

Offline Servadac

• Robot Master
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.indiedb.com/games/mega-man-42
It's fascinating when people complain about things that they get for free. Not only that but that other people have put endless hours into creating for them. Nobody is forcing you to play fan games, if you think they are all the same you can play something else.

I think you kind of answered your own question with your first post. Capcom stayed with more or less the same formula for 10 games, it would be strange if fan games that are made specifically to emulate that formula would stray from it and "do something different". Even in the spinoff series like X, Zero and ZX, the core gameplay is still the same. It's also a very wide generalization to say that all NES-style fan games are the same but with a different "skin". If you take the time to play them you should be able to notice that they are quite different from one another, and that almost all do add at least something new while staying true to the formula.

I'm a fan game creator and I want to make a game that recreates the memory of playing the Mega Man games as a kid, and I think that goes for everyone who is into creating these games. Adding something like RPG-elements into a Mega Man game seems very out of place, and if a fan game did that I would be put off and probably wouldn't play that game. Which is my opinion but that's what this boils down to, personal preference.

The problem with making an X fan game is that you have to put so much time and effort into the graphics and other elements of the game, that it's not really worth it. I'm speaking for myself here and I know there are X fan games out there, but at that point I really think you should be making an original game instead so you can sell it and get something back for your time and effort. Personally I prefer the classic series, but it's also convenient that 8-bit sprites are much easier and take less time to do than their 16-bit counterparts.

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
First of all i never said that i was complaining, i was rather saying if you are making a project maybe and i mean if you can. Put in some new stuff in your games or maybe just a small little extra thing. Also i understand that people want to re-create the nostalgia that people had experienced when they were young, but if you look around other fan games they look nearly the same but with different weapons and story.

I also did say that i played most of the fan games and i never stated their bad but they kind of feel the same because Rock has done this for years. I also know that it is hard to develop games since i myself have been through a lot of headaches and sleepless nights when creating my engine on MMF2 and I mean A LOT, maybe because i am quite new to game programming. If you are staying and repeating the games Capcom made. Then its just going a step backward.

A lot of people would and are agreeing with me about this so its not just me. And changing weapons and bosses doesn't make it different that much. I do also know that creating 8 bit sprites is easier but people should try (If they can) to learn to do some spriting. Once you get the basics of it then it will make your job much easier.

I also do know that is hard to animate sprites that you create but you can use a program that animates them for you called Spritimator.
The problem with making an X fan game is that you have to put so much time and effort into the graphics and other elements of the game, that it's not really worth it. I'm speaking for myself here and I know there are X fan games out there, but at that point I really think you should be making an original game instead so you can sell it and get something back for your time and effort. Personally I prefer the classic series, but it's also convenient that 8-bit sprites are much easier and take less time to do than their 16-bit counterparts.

Thats quite lazy of you to say that people should make a classic game instead of making a X or Zero game. Just because those series have harder graphics and have other functions such as the dash and wall jump which is what makes them unique and changes gameplay radically. If you stick to just making 8 bit fan games, people will get tired of the same formula being used over and over.

If your making it to play yourself then that is fine. But staying in your safe zone wont make you progress as a developer since risks and change are necessary to make something progress. All you are doing is the same thing as Capcom. You wont change anything if you keep sticking to the same thing and not changing much other then story and weapons.

I am making a 32 bit X game engine and isn't easy but i get good results at the end. Going for something easy is understandable but people should aim higher. As i said before if your making the game to play yourself than that's fine but if you would like other people to play. Then you need to add some new ideas like maybe multiplayer which was pretty cool and awesome for Rockman Multilayer like in this video [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPPYh0UHDLs[/youtube] or else people will get really tired of it despite the hard work you did. In the end its results and not how hard it was to make. If you think that's harsh then all i am saying is the reality.

Also games take time and passion to produce, going for the most hard ambitious route and trying to create something new is what will get more results.   

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
I'm personally turned off by fan-games that radically change the gameplay like making the robot masters playable or whatever have you, so that's one more person you've alienated from your "ambitious" game.

Mega Man Unlimited - Playthrough, Review and Criticism
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxNyTfF87xMRmb6jqKKTAmOrElKZkv3om

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Thats your opinion and i never said all people agree with. i said most people. Nor am i trying to force people and i never said BIG changes i said maybe a little change would be nice. Better to be more open minded then close minded and experiment with other things.

Posted on: August 17, 2013, 11:45:48 AM
Explain how playing with robot masters is bad?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
I'm personally turned off by fan-games that radically change the gameplay like making the robot masters playable or whatever have you, so that's one more person you've alienated from your "ambitious" game.

Are you implying that a 32-Bit style X game is "radically" changing the gameplay?

He never said anything about playable robot masters or anything, not that this is something capcom hasn't tried before (MMPU).

You're saying you're okay if every fangame is yet another MM2/3/4 with some new weapons and different levels?

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Your issue comes from a gross misunderstanding of why people play Mega Man games.  You keep mentioning that fan-games do nothing but change "the bosses" and "the weapons", forgetting that it's the level design that takes up 99% of the gameplay and its focus.  Did the NES Mega Man games do anything to drastically change up the formula?  No.  They built new stages and new enemies for us to play around with, and that kept us all coming back for more with each iteration.  Mega Man 9 and 10 did just the same and people ate that up as well.

You're also undermining the extreme amount of work it takes to develop a well-made Mega Man game, with stage design that's both functional and creative as well as aesthetically pleasing.  Calling a fan-game "unimaginative", "unambitious", and "lazy" because it sticks to a formula that the series built is offensive to everyone who's passionate about Mega Man in the first place.  You talk about all these people who agree with you, but I see none of that here and doubt that I will.

Posted on: August 18, 2013, 01:00:27
Are you implying that a 32-Bit style X game is "radically" changing the gameplay?
I didn't say anything about graphical styles, and that's clearly not all that the TC has been asking for.

He never said anything about playable robot masters or anything, not that this is something capcom hasn't tried before (MMPU).
He talked about multiplayer as a possible idea, I discussed another idea that also doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.  It's relevant.

You're saying you're okay if every fangame is yet another MM2/3/4 with some new weapons and different levels?
...yes.  If they're made well, yes.  I'd rather play more Mega Man games that play like Mega Man games than Mega Man games that play like Castlevania, personally.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
I just have a problem with it because from what I see no matter how much effort is put in level design, animations, and the [sonic slicer] among of time to even make text, they just want to imitate the Classic series with their own bosses and levels.  

At least that's what I'm seeing, unfortunately we only see the results and not the effort that is put into it and I for one don't like the results.  

I'm not saying that everyone is unoriginal, I'm just tired of seeing the same style of gameplay in all these games.  I mean I just want to see something different whether it be 8 bit or not.  Would it be bad to say that I want a Rush Jet Starship shooter game for laughs or something really silly.

It's okay to make a love letter to the series, but it's just not my cup of tea, not that you guys would care anyway I'm just saying what's on my mind.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Mega Man 9 and 10 did just the same and people ate that up as well.

And MM9 was [parasitic bomb], 10 actually had good design but it was plagued by following 9, so people wrote it off as another 8-bit retro nostalgia thing.

He talked about multiplayer as a possible idea, I discussed another idea that also doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.  It's relevant.

You are not the entire megaman fanbase, who else but you cares if something doesn't appeal to you?

...yes.  If they're made well, yes.  I'd rather play more Mega Man games that play like Mega Man games than Mega Man games that play like Castlevania, personally.

What megaman game plays like castlevania oh right none of them.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
And MM9 was [parasitic bomb], 10 actually had good design but it was plagued by following 9, so people wrote it off as another 8-bit retro nostalgia thing.
Are you suggesting that MM9 and 10 weren't received well by fans?  Cause, uh, if that's the case, you're wrong.

You are not the entire megaman fanbase, who else but you cares if something doesn't appeal to you?
Did I say that I was the entire Mega Man fanbase?  TC is talking about how much more "successful" fan-games would be if they were more "ambitious", and I offered a counterpoint opinion that others may also share.

What megaman game plays like castlevania oh right none of them.
TC cited Rockman X Corruption in the opening post with inclusions that focused on "exploration" and "RPG elements", and that sounds like post-SOTN Castlevania games to me.  And the ZX series of games are clearly influenced by them as well, so if you're going to try to be a sarcastic smartass at least know what you're talking about first.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Are you suggesting that MM9 and 10 weren't received well by fans?  Cause, uh, if that's the case, you're wrong.
Did I say that I was the entire Mega Man fanbase?  TC is talking about how much more "successful" fan-games would be if they were more "ambitious", and I offered a counterpoint opinion that others may also share.
TC cited Rockman X Corruption in the opening post with inclusions that focused on "exploration" and "RPG elements", and that sounds like post-SOTN Castlevania games to me.  And the ZX series of games are clearly influenced by them as well, so if you're going to try to be a sarcastic smartass at least know what you're talking about first.

Suggesting? No. MM9 is fine when viewed through rose-tinted glasses but those glasses have long since been taken off. 10 is legitimately good.

I said what I said because nobody gives a [parasitic bomb] what your views on original concepts are because you have your head so far up the ass of the safe-zone that you can't bother to think of something new.

You know by "Post-SOTN" Castlevania I assume menus, statuses and EXP, guess which Megaman games have those OH RIGHT NONE OF THEM.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
You know by "Post-SOTN" Castlevania I assume menus, statuses and EXP, guess which Megaman games have those OH RIGHT NONE OF THEM.
Lol, I even directly referenced ZX and ZXA, but even moreso I was talking about the approach to level design.  It's no secret that those games were directly inspired by the Castleroid games, so you're making yourself look mighty ignorant here.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Suggesting? No. MM9 is fine when viewed through rose-tinted glasses but those glasses have long since been taken off. 10 is legitimately good.

I said what I said because nobody gives a [parasitic bomb] what your views on original concepts are because you have your head so far up the ass of the safe-zone that you can't bother to think of something new.

Except Megaman X Command Mission but that's a proper RPG.   I got nothing else for now because I don't think I have anything to add right now except this.

Lol, I even directly referenced ZX and ZXA, but even moreso I was talking about the approach to level design.  It's no secret that those games were directly inspired by the Castleroid games, so you're making yourself look mighty ignorant here.
You mean with how linear the games are because that is not a Metroidvania.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I wake up not too long ago, and this is what I walk into.

You know, RPM has a lovely little thing called the Personal Message system. If you guys wanna argue some more, do it through PMs.

I mean, did I seriously need to come here and say it?