Hypershell · 15729

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
on: September 30, 2009, 02:16:52 AM
It used to be that Nintendo's exploit removing updates had some veil of interest to the retail-exclusive consumer.  Not so anymore, nothing even as insignificant as a Facebook uploader.  The recently released Wii 4.2 update is Nintendo's most aggressive "homebrew-killer" attempt yet.  Homebrew Channel, BootMii, cIOS, Bannerbomb, and DVDx are basically all dead unless work-arounds come.

And here I *JUST* updated to 4.1 last week to regain access to the Shop Channel. -AC You know, Nintendo, I really really want to pay you for old games that I can play without having to bum off of my brothers, hook up old consoles, or hell sometimes I just want to support the authors (MegaMan 1-3).  But you're making it extremely difficult.

I guess my Wii Connect 24 is going off again.  No sense in my leaving Nintendo's spam window open if I can no longer get on the Shop Channel.  Ah well, guess I'm just going to have to hope that the imminent Wii64 is all its cracked up to be.

Of course we all know most homebrew will be updated to counter this in a matter of days anyway.  I'm just getting sick of having to wait until it's safe to be a good customer again.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 04:31:03 AM
Just don't pay them. Who gives a [parasitic bomb]. It's their loss anyway.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 04:31:34 AM
Yeah, I wanted to fix my System menu to go backwards. But now they've removed that capability too! Along with them Deleting my [tornado fang]ing homebrew channel (And according to you, DVDX. Which I was going to use a bootleg Lego Indiana Jones copy to use the Indiana Pwns exploit) I guess I can just use Smash Stack. That should let me get my homebrew up and running. Once I do that, I'm only getting my Wii games from the internet and not giving Nintendo anymore [tornado fang]ing money.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 04:38:47 AM
Once I do that, I'm only getting my Wii games from the internet and not giving Nintendo anymore [tornado fang]ing money.

Isn't this the exact reason why they are trying to stop hacking in the first place?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 04:40:37 AM
Well, I guess thats too harsh... I guess I'll get my shop updates from a different source than through a Wii Update once I get my homebrew back...

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:06:36 PM
I'm hearing that this is bricking both modded and not modded Wii's, so yeah...

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 07:36:07 PM
Ninty's rreeaallyy going off the deep end guys. Nintendo's anti-piracy act is gonna make the workers frusteraited and the fans furious. You couldn't stop piracy before, why TRY to stop them now?

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 07:44:46 PM
Well, their anti-piracy in M&L3 was working last time I checked, and that was sill after a week of release.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 02:41:49 PM
Homebrew Channel updated, circumventing 4.2.

Update within the homebrew channel and have fun.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 07:06:51 PM
It's too bad my Wii's all rusty. You guys are making me wanna play it.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 08:55:01 PM
It's also worth mentioning that homebrewed and normal Wii users should be careful with this update. Although some Nintendo fans will try their hardest to say it was because you're a good for nothing pirate (lol preaching on the soap box) this update has been causing serious issues--bricking--because it updates the boot2 file directly, which is what helps that little white box starts up. Usually, that shouldn't be much of a problem, except the updater Nintendo's using is really poorly coded and has a few bugs in it. The homebrew team noticed this and tried to apply their own fixes to it.

Still, I would advise skipping this update all together until the next stability one, since Nintendo's tech forums have been getting bogged down by a ton of these complaints of users--innocent ones--who updated and had an error in mid-installation. It's not like any major games will be out this month, anyway. The only really "worry" title is New Super Mario Bros. Wii and that's not due out until Mid-to-late November.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 10:28:33 PM
Ah yes, got my homebrew back with Smash Stack. So now all I have to do is get some more programs...

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 10:11:34 PM
I'm hearing that this is bricking both modded and not modded Wii's, so yeah...
Yes, it is.  Bricking occurs when updating the Wii's boot process fails, as STM stated.  4.2 is the first update to attempt to do that.  Updating of the boot process is irrelevant to whether or not your Wii is modded, it's only relevant to how old your Wii is (pre-2009 will probably attempt to update).

Nice, Nintendo.

FYI, despite Big N's propaganda there is no reason a modded Wii is more likely to brick during the 4.2 update than an unmodded one (save region-converted Korean Wiis, and honestly how many of those are there?).  Overwriting software mods simply returns the console to normal.  It's all in how old your Boot2 is.

It's not like any major games will be out this month, anyway. The only really "worry" title is New Super Mario Bros. Wii and that's not due out until Mid-to-late November.
It may not even come with 4.2.  Punch-Out!! is playable on 3.4, and I'm not sure but I think 4.0 was released before then.

Even if it does, updating off of a disc is probably safer than updating off of the net (less risk of your download crapping out mid-install).  Not to mention that by then Nintendo, if they have any brain-stem left, will have probably wanted to improve their update methods.  They can't enjoy having their repair guys work for free, which is what they have agreed to if 4.2 does brick your Wii and it turns out to be unmodded.

Rightfully so, I say.  They tried to push the $85 fee on the first few out-of-warranty call-ins until it became obvious that there was a problem.  The bugs in their update code as applied to the boot process is something the homebrew devs were aware of ages ago, I cannot believe they're paying more attention to Nintendo's own code than Nintendo is. ::)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 09:51:01 PM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 10:23:08 PM
I think people are smart enough to use the SD Card slot for upgrades. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 11:25:42 PM
Are you positive about that?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 12:08:32 AM
I'm not, in the least.  I've never done that.  Or at least not successfully.  >.>

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 08:36:10 PM
A horrible thing happened to my 6-year old cousin's Wii. It was upgraded from 3.4E to 4.2E.
Everything seemed to work just fine, connected to the internet and everything... until we turned it off with the Wii Remote.
The light to the power won't light up at all and we couldn't even eject the Mario Galaxy disc that was inside. '>.>

I hope the parents can take the Wii to a free reparation, because it was never modified before. It's the first time I've seen a bricked Wii. :-[

Posted on: October 03, 2009, 20:25:11
Wii Update 4.2 Is Killing Wiis Dead

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 08:45:21 PM
Mine pseudo-bricked on me recently. It crashed on Wii64 and I turned it off. Turning it on took me to a black screen where nothing happened. I could eject my disc though. Luckily, simply removing the SD card fixed it. My guess was the system was still trying to load something from the SD Card before even loading the system boot program.

I'm sorry to hear that about your cousin's system. Good going, Nintendo. Actually, to put this poetically... if you've played Mario and Luigi 3, think of the scene after firing the Banzai Bill at Bowser's Castle. Pretend that Banzai Bill was Update 4.2. It struck a town full of innocent people and killed most, if not all of them. Meanwhile, the pirates (Fawful's men) saw the Banzai Bill coming and simply made the castle (of homebrew) fly over it, so that it missed.

Yep.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 08:55:32 PM
I don't run homebrew, but I don't care.

I'm not updating, because I don't want my Wii bricked.
[spoiler]Unless they want to also replace that noisy-ass fan for me! 8D[/spoiler]

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 09:24:09 PM
My wii got bricked before the update for around 2 weeks, i was thinking of replacing it but then-BAM it lives again. Too bad there was a friends disc in there for around 2 weeks, im sooo screwed now.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 10:34:43 PM
Mine is soft-modded with some startup trouble after I updated to 4.1 (about 2 weeks ago), occasionally refusing to load the System Menu (BootMii worked fine).  I changed BootMii's delay to 0 (previously 1) and that seemed to stop the problem.

No way in hell am I touching 4.2.  I don't care if Team Twiizers broke it in four days (like Nintendo didn't know that would happen), I have a launch-day system and Big N is not touching my Boot2 until they re-evaluate their methods.

Unless they want to also replace that noisy-ass fan for me! 8D
Is there something that makes Wii fans noisier with age?  'cuz I could swear mine used to be quieter...  *shrugs*

Figures one would get banned for posting too much of the truth too close to home.  Nintendo doesn't like people to know what those "behind the scenes" updates are, I suppose.  It really was irresponsible of them, if a bunch of people working in their basement for free knew that attempting to update the bootloader with official code was dangerous, then there's no reason for Nintendo not to have caught on.

I get that they hate all unofficial use (dating back to NES and Game Genie) and will take every opportunity to squash it.  But from a customer service standpoint, they're better than this.  Nintendo used to be known for build quality (barring handheld shoulder buttons >.> ).  They are not Microsoft.  Most any consumer familiar with them expects better than to release a potentially dangerous software update.  Even the homebrew scene will at least warn you if they put up anything potentially hazardous.  If message boards didn't exist, Nintendo would have you believe 4.2 carries no risk to an unmodded console, and that is simply not true.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 10:47:20 PM
Lemme put it this way:

Humptii Dumptii.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 05:48:08 PM
My uncle (my cousin's daddy) says he'll look into fixing the Wii. I don't know if Nintendo Europe has the "free repair" offer for Wii 4.2, but other service stores would ask $45 to fix it... o.o </wii>

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 08:06:53 PM
Y'see, this is exactly why I prefer solid media games over downloadable games.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.