Western Video Game Fiction... A Bit Down?

geekgo4 · 11911

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
on: December 20, 2009, 05:27:55 PM
Every time I look at western video games, the just look so off, so bland, so shallow. Mostly the premise than the gameplay. Gameplay-wise, it's mos likety using a gun to shoot something or a sword to hack n slash. Sure, there are a bit more variaties, but Moving about and shooting something seems the most common. Simulations seem like another.

Premise-wise, it's just basically a bland brown color. Characters and enviroments just seem too realistic for their own good. Some just seem not that interesting. And some that are are either short lived or changed drasticly.

I don't what to truly say. It's just that western game just lack a certain something that resides within Japanese games. Even a few Korean games has a certain something, but I don't kone what to describe it. If anyone has their own idea of what it is, feel free to.

Basically, What does Japanese games have that Western games lack and need?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:56:22 PM
They lack cute schoolgirls with squeaky voices.

Did you ever play anything from Legacy of Kain series? This [parasitic bomb] is better than anything japanese ever did. Especially if we talk about voice acting, plot and dialogue. AND IT WAS WRITTEN BY A WOMAN!

Or Rayman? Did you play [tornado fang]ing Rayman? And I'm talking about Rayman 1-3. Not that Raving Rabbids [parasitic bomb].

Also, I don't play a lot of western games. Mostly japanese. (no, not only jrpgs... frankly, I almost never play them).

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 06:07:44 PM
Western - First Person Shooter
Europe - Adventure Sandbox Games
Japanese - Role Playing Games

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 06:54:20 PM
Oh I am SO gonna throw down in this thread later. I want to see what people have to say first though before I get started. 8)

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 07:38:50 PM
Maybe you're just biased.

Offline Rue

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 07:48:32 PM
Did you ever play anything from Legacy of Kain series? This [parasitic bomb] is better than anything japanese ever did. Especially if we talk about voice acting, plot and dialogue. AND IT WAS WRITTEN BY A WOMAN!

As much as I love the kain series the game play can be somewhat glitchy and few of them could have really used some more development time before release. Still when it comes to concept, storytelling, voice acting and music the Legacy of Kain series is certainly a gem of  a franchise.

As for the topic, I think both sides of the gaming world are guilty of producing "bland, and shallow" products but I don't think your being totally fair to the western developers I mean japan is just as guilty of milking popular genres and art styles as the west is.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 07:58:46 PM
I remember SD Gundam (GBA Version), the only USA-Made Gundam by far if I remember. It was a pretty decent game for it's time, then there's also a few American-Made GBA games I can remember that were decent. Ever played the Tom And Jerry series (Well, you mostly play as Tom)? I thought the SNES ones were fair ball. War of the Whiskers was decent, albiet medicore because it itself was one of those standalones.

I could go on. Say.. SWAT KATS (SNES).. That was fun.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 12:59:48 AM
Ah, I remember the kain series; it's stuff like that, that made PS1 games some of the best games on the market at that time. Nobody was just making them to play around with polygons and through them on the shelf; no, they had probably planned out the stories before hand and never had the chance to bring them to life with the current systems limitations.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 01:58:44 AM
How many Strike Witches games are there again? Three, wasn't it?

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 06:46:11 AM
go play Planescape Torment.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 07:01:00 AM
Western - First Person Shooter
Europe - Adventure Sandbox Games
Japanese - Role Playing Games
Korea - MMOs, Starcraft
derp.
go play Planescape Torment.
this^infinity.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 09:13:29 AM
words: the game

infinity

ps i see what you did there

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 02:11:58 PM
Western games were better. Nowadays its all about Halo and Gears of War wannabe FPS's
At least, thats all that ever gets the main spotlight anymore.

I DO miss rayman. but it stopped being good after the first one. Why they ditched the trippy limbless and music/food/etc. themed world for the dingy dark setting in 2, ill never know. But it just seems to sprout out from 2. I miss Rayman 1.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 05:33:16 PM
As much as I love the kain series the game play can be somewhat glitchy and few of them could have really used some more development time before release. Still when it comes to concept, storytelling, voice acting and music the Legacy of Kain series is certainly a gem of  a franchise.

As for the topic, I think both sides of the gaming world are guilty of producing "bland, and shallow" products but I don't think your being totally fair to the western developers I mean japan is just as guilty of milking popular genres and art styles as the west is.
That's just it. Not many gamers care about story, plot , or development. Not matter how groundbreaking the story/plot is, if the gameplay doesn't life up to the efforts, no one would want to play it.

It's not really the dark, mature, gritty titles, as Grand Theft Auto, a once Scottish video game , has gotten a name , even in Nippon. Of course, Many wannabes might have drove it down, now, most people might not enjoy a game thet has no true drive(Well, there are missions, but..).

Mascot Characters like Conker, Sly Cooper, Ty, and others from the West only lasts so long. And those that last longer tend to change often. Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon has gotten a complete overhaul, to the point where veterans no longer recgonize them. There are Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, who, as long as they have last, seem a bit low. where one coule rely on arms all the time seem a bit been there, done that. Maybe they need to be a bit childish and do illogical stuff to gain attraction. To many, they don't seem to read awesome compared to those like...(shudders) Klonoa(I don't like Klonoa, Okay?).

Then there are mature concepts. Somtehing like Assassins Creed nor Prince of Persia isn't considering know as Devil May Cry nor Silent Hill.Should Splinter Cell Be a bit more out there like Metal Gear Solid.

I always found Earthworm Jim a bit more original than most, even Mega Man(Face it. The Blue Bomber the video game equilvilent of Astro Boy). I mean, a normal earthworm in a super powered space suit? Too bad it was short lived. Same for BattleToads( even if they were a parody of the TMNT). I wish Viva pinata gotten a second chance. RareWare is dead, Midway is dead. It just doesn't look good for Western fiction.

I care for Western fiction. I want to do everhing to support it. Japamse Fiction just tends to be a bit overrated.

Also That Blue Sky in Games Campaign sucks.
They tend to forget that Driver did have blue skies and the color of red and blue, and games like Double Dragon and Final Fight had crap versions of American Slums with the works. Tekken, too. There are some gamers that want some believible challenges. I would rather punch someone and use a bomb launcher than paralyzed by jumping on them. And there were no magic bananas in Castlevania. Really, I don't care how I heal myself, as long as I can heal myself. And there were once syringes in the Pokemon World.Not all dark, gritty games have music of the latter. Driver has a good soundtrack. and again must I point out Beat-Em-Ups for criminals? Even the enemy levels that should be evil lookig. There are situations where blue skys just don't fit. Mario doesn't were red shoes. nor Link. Castlevania and Ghost 'n' Globins must function at NIGHT! Who would want to drive a pink convertible? And why only 15mph? Well, don't have a problem with that, really. Females have gotten better roles and there have been white drug dealers.

Really, it's like they want to give it the 4Kids treatment.

Offline Rue

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 08:21:29 PM
That's just it. Not many gamers care about story, plot , or development. Not matter how groundbreaking the story/plot is, if the gameplay doesn't life up to the efforts, no one would want to play it.

I'm fairly certain you can't prove that.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 10:21:48 PM
I don't think it's that gamers don't care about story plot characters etc etc, it's just that without gameplay none of them matter. Kind of like a book that's poorly written.

Offline Rue

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 10:32:11 PM
Oh for sure, game play should always come first.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 04:44:23 PM
Characters and enviroments just seem too realistic for their own good. Some just seem not that interesting.
I haven't noticed the correlation between Japanese and Western developers on this (though this is probably because with about four exceptions I don't pay attention to where developers are located).  But something the racing genre made clear to me even as early as the 32/64-bit era is that there is a world of difference between a fantasy and a simulation.  And they cater to very different audiences.  I love F-Zero but am bored with Gran Turismo.  It's not because I consider GT to be bad, I just like the high-adrenaline off-the-wall stuff.

Ever since the first decision was made to allow a jumping character to alter their momentum in mid-air, the valid point has been made that realism isn't always paramount.  Devs push towards realism harder as technology allows them to do so, which is swell, but they need to be sure they're still making an entertaining product in the end.

Or Rayman? Did you play [tornado fang]ing Rayman? And I'm talking about Rayman 1-3. Not that Raving Rabbids [parasitic bomb].
I resent that.  The Raving Rabbids [parasitic bomb] is awesome!

Well......TV Party definitely needed better organization (and where the hell are my customizable Rabbids?!), but still.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 05:00:20 PM
lol doublequote.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 05:23:39 PM
Damn forum buttons doing what I click instead of what I think.  >.>

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 25, 2009, 02:11:52 AM
Ever played the Tom And Jerry series (Well, you mostly play as Tom)? I thought the SNES ones were fair ball. War of the Whiskers was decent, albiet medicore because it itself was one of those standalones.

I remember the NES Tom and Jerry game. God damn that game was hard as balls. For some reason though, it was still fun, even though I only got past the first level. If I ever find the game and an NES, I would probably give it another go and get farther; I doubt any 7 year old could beat that game without getting at least one Game Over ><

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 12:01:58 PM
A little Bump. I just want to add something else for this.

Has there ever been a good, decent fighting game not made in Nippon? I mean one that is not Killer Instinct, ClayFighter, and especially Mortal Kombat, because those game are considered flawed in most ways, compared to many Japanese Fighters.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 08:34:25 PM
hahaha, People siding with West made games think the same of the East, I guess that would make us karmactically even.  :D

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 10:11:09 PM
There's this game being made in the west called Relics of Nature's Fury. It's really awesome. [/shameless-plug]

Ahem. I think it's because the markets of each culture. Americans like the violence of FPS games and GTA clones. Europe likes the creativity in sandbox-type games. And Japan likes the intellectual strategies required to solve puzzles and battles in RPGs. So there. That's why.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 02:36:17 AM
I don't think it's that gamers don't care about story plot characters etc etc, it's just that without gameplay none of them matter. Kind of like a book that's poorly written.

I think the idea of ignoring the story and such belongs to casual players.

Quote from: geekgo4
Has there ever been a good, decent fighting game not made in Nippon? I mean one that is not Killer Instinct, ClayFighter, and especially Mortal Kombat, because those game are considered flawed in most ways, compared to many Japanese Fighters.

I resent that. Clay Fighter,Killer Instinct, and especially Mortal Kombat were very popular when they were released and people didn't complain...well except for soccer moms and Jack Thompson.