Mega Man Perfect Harmony (4-player Cooperative Fan Game)

The Legendary Rud · 121583

Offline The Legendary Rud

• Net Navi
  • "aka ROCK"
    • View Profile
    • Rocks Clan
Starting in october of 2010, I began work on a 4-player cooperative fangame by the name of Mega Man Perfect Harmony. This is an idea that I have been dreaming about my entire life, and have only just recently found a way to finally turn it into a reality. This is a spin off series that ties together the events of the three original series: Mega Man, Mega Man X, and Mega Man Zero. It takes place just before peace and harmony is finally restored at the very end of the original series, in the year 20XX.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imLZvaVr564[/youtube]

Created with game maker and using a barebones engine originally designed by Blyka64, I have taken this very basic engine design and expanded upon it tenfold to create an entirely new game. I have spent every single day devoting all of my free time and energy into creating this game as quickly and carefully as possible, with ideas and musical help from my friends. I posted on this forum earlier this year when the game was only a couple of months old, and listened to all of the criticism and feedback that you had given me. I have taken steps to resolve any issues, make any changes, and will continue to weigh out your ideas and explore options I might not have considered.

That said however, I am taking quite a few creative liberties with this title as well, as it is my own personal work of art. We have thought of ideas so far outside the box, that it is absolutely mind blowing to come to the realization that I am now actually capable of performing these monumental tasks. I am very excited about what is to come, because this has not only been my dream game for the past 20 years of my life, but more than likely, a dream come true for others as well.

So I am open to any and all comments, but please try to be positive, supportive, and most of all, helpful, as I am having a hard enough time already with this massive project. I will post more updates here and on my website rocksclan.com

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO4xkXT5ZPs&list=UUBB78vzUAO7xnzuUvSa2jvA&index=2&feature=plcp[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J1wwBtAPjU[/youtube]

Subscribe to my channel for future videos.

In the year 20XX, a virus infects all of the world's robots, making them go berserk. As Dr. Wily's conquest for control of the world rages on, Dr. Light develops a cure for this new virus. He entrusts the anti-virus to Mega Man, who must deliver it deep within Wily's fortress and upload it to the mainframe, so that peace and harmony can be restored.

Joined by Mega Man are many of his old allies and a number of his former enemies, uniting to protect Mega Man and ensure that the anti-virus is delivered safely. Some were rebuilt by Light, as the others team up against Wily as well, opposing his plan to turn the entire robot population into berserker drones. Dr. Cossack also joins the fray, creating new allies, and helping Dr. Light deep within the mountains to develop even greater Robot Masters to aid Mega Man's party on their quest.

In one of their greatest outings yet, an adventure awaits as our heroes press onward to victory!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This took a lot of time thinking and considering which ones to pick and how to arrange the order of this character select screen, but this is more than likely how the final game will turn out! (Let's hope!) A lot could change however, so bare that in mind please as you read on. Currently, the only characters I have successfully put in the game are Rock, Blues, Forte, Enker, Punk, Metal, and Tornado. The rest will come in time, as I am still performing major surgery on the key functions of the game engine itself. As it stands now, it is a crazy cross between Mega Man and Contra, with elements from the curtain-fire bullet hell vert shooter genre, RPG elements, and other ideas borrowed from here and there, such as street fighter-esque moves. There are several different types of enemy bullets in the game too, normal ones no longer knock the character back, instead now you just take the hit and blink for a second. Bigger and more powerful bullets vary in knockback and damage now.

Anyway, only the top row of the character select screen is available at the start of the game, and you must unlock the rest by collecting screws or performing secret tasks. The top row consists of very straight forward characters, with the exception of Forte. Most of them play very simply and shoot in a horizontal line like Rock, and while Roll, Fire and Ice may seem pretty good at first, once you unlock more characters however these three really dont seem that great anymore :P But the really cool thing about all of this is is the potential of the three main characters, Rock, Blues and Forte, for their abilities far surpass ANY of the other character once you've unlocked everything they have.

----------------------

Classic Rock starts out with no slide, no buster, just straight shot like in mm9. He eventually unlocks slide, charge shot, saber, saber moves, dash, wall climb, armor, and all of the enemies weapons. We have also been talking about an idea for this ultimate black armor that only Rock and Blues can unlock, that gives them even more moves

Blues starts out a bit faster than Rock, with a slide, charge shot, saber, and saber moves. He also takes double damage, but can unlock all of the same abilities Rock can from the shop, and more! He unlocks more zero-esque moves like double jump and the spinning air slash. Also, another difference between him and Rock, is that while Rock can unlock several different levels of charge shot (charge1-5), blues instead has his tiers knocked down a notch, to where his normal shot is a medium charge bullet, and his medium charge is a large charge shot (meaning he only has charge1 now :D) It makes him and rock more like an akuma to ryu comparison, he later on deals and recieves double damage.

Forte starts out with dash, double jump, and 8-directional fire. He later unlocks a constant medium shot (like i just explained with blues, lets call this bullet2 for the sake of it), triple jump, wall climb, and the ability to fly. He is the best character at the start of the game, and only becomes even more powerful.

Taking after her brother, Roll has finally decided that she too should become a fighting robot to fight alongside and ensure the safety of her two brothers. She starts out with the bullet2 attack i previously mentioned, but she can only fire it straight forward and can not perform charge attack with her buster. She is also unable to unlock anything else, and is meant to be a very basic character, that plays much like what I'm currently dubbing 'Classic Rock' from MM1, 2, 9 and 10. To compensate for her lacking so much compared to the others characters, she may also have the ability to summon Eddie(Fliptop), or maybe the ability to heal Rock and Blues, or maybe even the ability to summon Rush and Maiden (a second female dog aid character that we created, Maiden looks like a pink rush with floppy ears, entering in and out of the stage firing bullet hell and dropping health to assist the team.)

Fire and Ice will play pretty much like they do from mega man powered up, with Fire Man taking less damage from Fire attacks, and Ice Man taking more damage, and vice versa for Ice attacks.

I'd also like to point out that you can unlock in the shop a 'fifth' player, and use the mouse as Beat, who can block bullets, pick up items, and gain more abilities.

----------------------

The second row is the easiest and cheapest to unlock, it consists of some pretty powerful characters from the classic series 2-6.

----------------------

Metal is pretty basic, he is like a slightly faster Rock, that can jump higher and shoot 8-directional metal blades (and I'm pretty sure we all know how kick ass those are)

Quick is super fast, with an 8-directional dash that makes him even faster.

Shadow is kind of like a cross between Metal and Quick, and fires two stars at once.

Skull has an 8-directional single shot bullet, and his second attack summons a skull shield around him to block enemy bullets.

Napalm has enhanced defense, can dash across the ground with his tread feet, and fire off heavy explosive attacks.

Yamato can hold out his spinning spear to deflect bullets, and fire a spread shot of 3 projectiles.

----------------------

The next row is a little more expensive and harder to unlock, and consists of even more powerful characters.

----------------------

Tornado takes double damage like blues, but he can move quickly, summon tornadoes from the ground, double jump or air dash, bounce off of enemies heads while in this state, and has a saber that passes through enemies to deal rapid damage.

Splash plays a lot like Rock, only she can jump very high, and either shoot a trident straight forward or straight down. So she can kind of play a killer air game, as her tridents pass through enemies. Once she enters the water, her legs turn back into a mermaid body, and she is able to swim around in 8 directions.

Magma has enhance defense, and a triple shot fire attack that he can charge up to do even more damage.

Thrash is an original character we created, he is slow, can jump high with enhanced defense and melee attacks only. He can also charge his fist to release an even bigger melee attack.

Djent (pronounced 'jent') is an original character we created that plays like a cross between Rock, Forte, Bill Rizer, and Soldat. :D He get's an 8-directional shot, a rapid succession upward and downward melee attack that he can use to combo enemies, and can also later on unlock halo-ish looking armor that gives him enhanced defense.

Breakdown is an 'original' character that will play very similar to Vava (Vile) from MMX. Depending on how much I get done within this time restraint I've given myself (only one year) Breakdown might actually be a character I have to exclude and save for the sequel, replacing with another character. This is due to the fact that he is such a complex character that I'd prefer to either have down perfectly, or not include him at all.

----------------------

The final bottom row consists of some of the most powerful playable characters in the entire game: The Mega Man Killers, and more of our original characters, The Mega Man Helpers. The 6 of them dont take knockback from getting damaged (unless its by something really big) and can simply keep moving through enemies and projectiles as theyre getting hit are/or flashing. This factor alone makes the 6 of them pretty incredible, as you wont get pushed off of ledges by enemy fire or damage.

There is also a story behind the Helpers. Dr. Light and Dr. Cossack are working deligently on the three of them far away on the tops of Mt. Malmsteen, just beyond the MacAlpine forest. These areas are part of 3 bonus stages that are available just outside of Lights Lab, which you can visit at any time in the game.

The three Mega Man Helpers are not available until you defeat 4 of the 8 bosses, as well as perform certain other tasks, on top of also paying a #*@k ton of screws. The 6 Killers and Helpers can also level up by defeating enemies to unlock even more abilities.

----------------------

Enker can move quickly, deflect enemy bullets with his spinning spear, and draw in enemy fire to release different leveled charge attacks.

Punk has enhanced defense, a single shot 8 directional metal blade, and an attack that allows him to do a sonic-esque move in 8 directions and pass through anything.

Ballade can shoot ballade crackers in 8 directions, and if touching the ground can lay mines. His secondary attack shoots two missiles out, and he can also switch to another form that makes him slower with enhanced defense.

Riff is an original character created by Omniblade. He is extremely fast, a strictly melee only character, with attacks similar to sabin's pummel from final fantasy 6. He can also perform a lightning fast rapid succession 8-directional dash that passes through anything (think pikachu from smash bros). And he can also charge up his fist to release a giant melee attack like Thrash.

Clef is a female prototype robot, with design and moves similar to Zero and Strider. She is a very dangerous and powerful melee-only robot that can move extremely fast to cover lots of ground, and possibly the ability of an 8 directional dash attack (similar to Marth's final smash)

Vai is Dr. Light's greatest accomplishment, modeled after Wily's design for bass and competing to create the world's most powerful robot master, the combined brilliance of Light and Cossack has given birth to an ultimate weapon. He is sworn to protect Rock, and would even give his life to defend him. He can hold down the fire button to shoot an 8-directional attack, that simultaneously charges an even more powerful attack that, once released, looks very similar to the ultimate pink charge attack from MMX1. So to play Vai correctly, you are constantly holding down and letting go of the button just right to deal tons of damage and projectiles. He later on also unlocks the ability to fly.

Enker's standard attack deflects enemy bullets,
and his other attack draws them in to charge a single blast
that he can fire back at any time.

Djent is an original character we created that can fire in omnidirections using the mouse.

In the shop you can purchase all of Rock, Blues, and Forte's abilities, such as charged shot, slide, saber, dash, wall climb, double jump, and armor. The Mega Man Killers and Mega Man Helpers unlock their potential by gaining experience and leveling up from killing enemies.

A glimpse at Deathmatch mode.

/////////Comparison///////////

I listened to the feedback, there wont be any style mixing at all. The entire game will be in 8-bit, but there will be other effects options that you can turn on in the game if you choose (possibly even a metal mode, which turns the game's normally 8-bit music into real live guitar covers). I also managed to make the screen bigger than it previously was, so that you can see more of what is going on.

Here are a few before and after comparison of the older and newer versions of the game.

//////Older very early screenshots///////

---------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. and current drawbacks.

Release date is set on my birthday, 11-11-11 (but it might change depending on how quickly I can accomplish this)

Regrettably there will not be an online multiplayer (unless I find a way)

There will not be a split screen, there will be a button that you can press if you are off the screen you warp back to Rock.

As it is right now, you can respawn on Rock at the cost of a little bit of his life, but I'm more than likely going to change this to a respawn bar.

No you can not play as X or Zero in this game. Rock will in time play very similarly to X, and the same goes for Blues to Zero. (plus, theres also Clef :D)

Though it might not have been as high of a priority as it should have been before, it is now my mission to make this game as close and accurate to the original as I possibly can. But admittedly, there are still a few issues here and there that I may just have to leave unresolved. I regret to inform you of these things, but hopefully you will see them like I do, as minor trifles. I do feel obligated to inform you of these things however, as this game is so incredible enough as it is that I might as well explain it's flaws:

Controller support may not be an option, HOWEVER, there are programs like Xpadder and Joy2key that make it extremely easy to bind keys to joypads. I suggest going to ebay and ordering Ps2 to usb adapter so that you can use playstation controllers, or you can even use your 360 controllers along with these programs.

Another minor flaw is that there are no screen transitions, it instantly cuts from area to area. Again, not too big of an issue, but one I thought I'd address anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------

Like us on Wikia, Facebook, Myspace:

http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_Perfect_Harmony

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mega-Man-Perfect-Harmony/174530555890370

http://www.myspace.com/megamanperfectharmony

There are already plans for sequels, and with any luck we'll see a Perfect Harmony 2 release on 12-12-12. (That is if capcom or anyone else doesn't hit me with a cease and desist order XD)

I'm also hard at work designing many other retro 4-player cooperative fan games,
including Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Contra, and Mario.
For more updates check out our website
rocksclan.com

^RUD
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:29:04 PM by The Legendary Rud »

Archer

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:47:54 PM
tl;dr

I am impressed by the sheer size of your post though, even if I didn't read it.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:50:28 PM
Hats off, that's a pretty major project.
I'm curious how it's gonna turn our. With the multiplayer part and all.
What about the music? In the Youtube vid you used Adon's theme. Will the final game have 8-bit versions of other Capcom themes or will it have an all new soundtrack? If there are some track done yet, can I listen to them somewhere?

The only issue I have is something rather minor:

Some sprites look kinda out of place. For example Breakdown he's pretty detailed for an 8-bit MM sprite. A bit too detailed.
But as I said, it's a merely visual concern and nothing big.

• Net Navi
  • "aka ROCK"
    • View Profile
    • Rocks Clan
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:03:34 PM
You can check out the sound track here, but keep in mind these are early crappier versions. I'll upload the updated versions, along with the newer tracks as soon as I can.

We created the music for the Introduction, Main Title, the main 8 stages, the boss fight, the shop, and the wily stages. Other than that, I am hand picking the absolute best 8-bit tracks from all of the previous games, as well as 8-bit covers of other amazing songs. The soundtrack should  be the best of any mega man game almost guaranteed lmao I cant speak for our songs, but there will even be little easter eggs like an airman stage that plays 8-bit 'cant defeat airman', or maybe even a no constancy stage with the 8-bit capcomxnamco theme.

I may just as well start asking permission for use of other talented artists masterpeices. But to be honest, I'd rather our first game to be mostly our own score, but then any help for part 2 and on will feature other musicians work.

There might also be a game mode under options that turns on metal guitar remixes of all of the songs as you play the game :D

And as for breakdown, as well as the style mixing, I wasnt going to let it bother me too much before, but since it seems to bother everyone else so much, I will try my best to make sure it looks 100% 8-bit. This is all still very early, Breakdown might be the only character on that list that doesnt make it into the game because it'll take so much time to design him, and recolor all of his sprites.

I'd also like to take the time to point out, that even though I'm handling a majority of this project by myself, I am also borrowing from other spriters and rippers out there, who I will try to contact and mention every single one in the credits.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 11:09:15 PM
Can't listen to the tracks. It says they're not available in my country. :C

Well for Breakdown, it wasn't implying you should take him out or something. Just that there's a notable visual difference between him and the other sprites. In the end it's just more details to animate and thus more work for you. It shouldn't affect gameplay all that much so it's just a secondary concern. Really.

• Net Navi
  • "aka ROCK"
    • View Profile
    • Rocks Clan
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 05:00:19 AM
@laura
Thank you. I am not a very friendly or talkative person, but this is what I really care about. I hope that my explanation was thorough enough for you to get a better understanding of where this is headed :D

@acid
The only reason breakdown might be excluded is because of all of the extra coding and gameplay feature's he needs to have to be perfect. It might be so much additional work that I'll have to save him for the sequel, which will work out great because I plan on introducing the ride armor in part two as well.

Posted on: May 26, 2011, 23:10:28
Click here to watch the new teaser.

Offline SonicZH

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 08:20:02 AM
Looks hard to program, seems like a lot of work.
Anyway, I notice that the dash sprites have the legs shifted to the back instead of the head aligned in front, i am sure the animation will be better if the leg is fixed instead of the leg. Just a feedback =)

• Net Navi
  • "aka ROCK"
    • View Profile
    • Rocks Clan
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 06:34:02 PM
Yeah, it's taken me several months straight of really quick and intense work X_x plus I work in a warehouse, so I'm both mentally and physically exhausted every single day.

But thanks for the feedback, I appreciate any help at all. I hadnt noticed the legs yet, so thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'll fix it soon enough. You might notice a lot of little things might be off axis a little bit here and there, but it's only because I'm going as fast as I possibly can to complete the game. I'm trying to avoid any and all mistakes of course, but my plan also is to slowly make all the adjustments I missed, write down all the little fixes and bugs as I push forward, and then later on go back and make all of the final adjustments.

I saw your game too btw, nicely done! keep up the good work, and best of luck to both of us!

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 07:24:20 PM
You know, once this game is finished and tested and wrapped up and everything,

I wouldn't mind picking three buddies and give it a go. And possibly stream that. I however, cannot stream.

• Net Navi
  • "aka ROCK"
    • View Profile
    • Rocks Clan
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 10:13:59 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvGV2Qm98-M[/youtube]

Posted on: June 04, 2011, 22:12:45

My new favorite is Tornado Man :D

Offline Tri Hex

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 12:41:03 AM
Megaman and Protoman   8D

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 01:09:51 AM
Megaman and Protoman   8D

Solid answer!

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 01:23:57 AM
*put any girl/genderbend character here*

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 01:33:54 AM
All I need is Sheep Man

• Net Navi
  • "aka ROCK"
    • View Profile
    • Rocks Clan
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 01:46:18 AM
lmao Sheep Man!! good one

Archer

Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 07:48:43 AM
I don't have one, I think they're all pretty dull.

I do have some that I dislike, however.

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 07:59:38 AM
Is it that hard to guess?

<----- this guy

Archer

Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 08:03:26 AM
Is it that hard to guess?

<----- this guy

I would have guessed Crystalman myself...

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 09:26:18 AM
I am sure glad this isn't an advertisment topic for Megaman Perfect Harmony

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 12:12:42 PM
Needs more Reggae.

/thread

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline VulcanoMan

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 01:19:52 PM
Holy [tornado blow], this is AWESOME!!!
That video just wants me to play it. NOW.

Offline zuschzero

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 03:01:23 PM
These characters stands out for me:

Mega Man, Rush, Fireman, Elecman, Quickman, Shadowman, Dr. Cossack, Toadman, Brightman, Pharaohman, Ringman, Flameman, Knightman, Centaurman, Concreteman

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 04:46:17 PM
Rush, hands-down.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 05:13:48 PM
Prolly Slash Man. Though up until Mega Man 7, they were all pretty loveable.