Rockman X9 getting big support from fans!

VixyNyan · 53954

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #175 on: February 23, 2009, 01:45:17 AM
the Snes is very quite capable of Megaman 8 graphics. which means it is more than likely capable of X4-6 graphics as well. if its capable of that, and Megaman and bass was originally on the Snes,

Of course, all sprite style since SNES have worked on the same limitation. The only difference is the amount of crap that can be on screen, the screen size and the use of prerendered images.

Personally, I would prefer a sprite style that had the same size and proportions of the ZERO-ZX games, with the background quality of ZERO3 and ZERO4 and with designs by Sensei/Seitou.

Aside from the ease of implementing an upgraded ZERO/ZX engine, X and Zero's designs can work in such a style just as much as they can in X4~6. All in all, it'd give the feel of a SNES game, but the look of a PSX game, and it'd allow for the same level of sprite-background consistency as the ZERO games. I honestly don't like how X4-6 is a mixed bag in terms of sprites and how ZX and X4~6 use art and 3d models for backgrounds.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #176 on: February 23, 2009, 04:26:44 AM
I liked X4's style. it was real real cool. I liked the overall feel of X4. it felt so uniqe just playing through it. whereas X5 and 6 feel... I dunno... DIFFERENT... they both feel the same. like, too complex. too tight. X 4 felt simple... I cant describe it really...(it was before they started introducing useless characters...) it was in the vein of the X1-3 games, but with new graphics. and that feels great.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #177 on: February 23, 2009, 06:20:09 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about.  Even though X4 reworked the visuals, the presentation, and even added a melee combat character, the general structure still adhered to the SNES standard (besides Zero lacking a proper weapon cycle, anyway).  That was the last "classic formula" X-series game.  Each entry since then has, to varying degrees, attempted to re-invent the power-up system (sans Xtreme1, but I don't think much of that title anyway), and we all know that arsenal is a big part of MegaMan.

In this way I think X5 botched up the formula worse than any other; despite the stage select option still existing the game is clearly designed with a predetermined boss order in mind (Grizzly to Red).  Most of the power-up distribution was pretty damn ill-conceived, too, being tied to extra boss rewards (getting a high enough status for that in and of itself was ill-conceived, as suicide and pacifism benefit you) that forbade numerous combinations.

X6 recycled the parts while solving the above issue by tying them to stage collection.  Despite the obvious rushed production, X6 had a surprisingly deep layout; it was one of the few games where finding stuff was actually engaging, as opposed to the "use weapon x to destroy block y" shpiel that most other games pull.  Xtreme2 took a very successful approach, staying as close as possible to the classic formula by shipping the items off to a shop; all the benefits without changing the gameplay focus.  X7 would have actually made a nicely replayable game with its New Game Plus chip stacking, if not for the fact that Capcom utterly failed at trying to blend 2D and 3D perspectives (X's whining doesn't help any, either).

X8 owes much of its success to picking the best out of the previous formulas.  X7's New Game Plus, Xtreme2's shop/enemy currency, and X6's stage-hidden chips (New Metals) all make their return in some fashion.  In addition the X5/X6 double armor layout was revisited and merged with the "equip immediately" joy of the classic games, adding a new mix-and-match aspect.  But at the end of the day, it's still a new layout, so it doesn't quite "feel" like a classic X game (although creating a New Game Plus with all chips and no armor parts can help rectify that).

Of course, all sprite style since SNES have worked on the same limitation. The only difference is the amount of crap that can be on screen, the screen size and the use of prerendered images.
And framerate.  You can see a drop between MM8 and MM&B, although the fact that Mets don't walk as smoothly wasn't exactly a huge loss.

All in all, it'd give the feel of a SNES game, but the look of a PSX game
I'd just as soon use PS1 sprites and rewrite the physics, to tell you the truth.  But who am I kidding?  Unless it was an exact deliberate replication of some "classic" game style, sprite reuse on that level would probably get the game eaten alive by reviewers.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #178 on: February 24, 2009, 02:33:56 AM
Did Zero's Helmet achieve the legendary status of Super Saiyan while I was gone?   8D

That was my point actually.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #179 on: February 24, 2009, 05:33:13 AM
That was my point actually.

Then I feel extra special that I got it!

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #180 on: February 24, 2009, 06:06:32 AM
X8's mixing and matching X's armor parts was very unusual, and refreshing, given the (lack of) quality of the Shadow and Blade armors.

Although I still say it looks like X is wearing an industrially lighted turtleneck and could say JENKIES at any moment.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #181 on: February 24, 2009, 07:20:44 AM
*smacks HyperSonic.EXE with his magical talking fish*

Shadow Armor rocks all socks!  Equip it with Overdrive and Ultimate Buster, and you have one of the most badass engines of destruction the series has ever seen.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #182 on: February 24, 2009, 07:52:46 PM
*smacks HyperSonic.EXE with his magical talking fish*

Shadow Armor rocks all socks!  Equip it with Overdrive and Ultimate Buster, and you have one of the most badass engines of destruction the series has ever seen.

Except for the X4-X6 Ultimate Armor, even though people overuse it in the X5 Final Battle and therefore think it sucks.

*ducks magical talking fish*

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #183 on: February 24, 2009, 08:39:55 PM
What kind of idiot can possibly NOT use the Ultimate Armor successfully in the final X5 battle?

Barring Nova Strike spamming, Shadow Armor is every bit a match for Ultimate.  Then there's the fact that, barring X5, Ultimate is available only by passcode.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #184 on: February 25, 2009, 06:39:28 AM
What kind of idiot can possibly NOT use the Ultimate Armor successfully in the final X5 battle?

Barring Nova Strike spamming, Shadow Armor is every bit a match for Ultimate.  Then there's the fact that, barring X5, Ultimate is available only by passcode.

I don't know, but I've seen people do it! And it's sad!
They just keep using Nova Strike, only to take collision damage or get smacked by some attack in the lagtime.

Mobility (barring that ice platform weapon) and range. Wall and ceiling clinging is only so useful, and the Shadow Armor does great damage, but only if you're already in breathing distance of an enemy. And X6 final Sigma doesn't like sabers.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #185 on: February 26, 2009, 09:39:27 PM
You're still further away than if you were attacking as Zero.  While Ultimate delivers a welcome relief in its strong charged shot, Shadow dispenses of enemies much faster.  Overdrive and Giga Attack cause bosses a lot of pain.  Hell, you don't even have to move to beat Sigma's first form (same is true with Zero's Z-Buster).

And oh, the mobility...  There is no reason you cannot clear X6 UNARMORED, much less with Shadow Armor.  Hovering is no more valuable than ceiling-hanging.  Get equipped with Hyper Dash, and quit whining.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #186 on: February 26, 2009, 09:46:09 PM
but items are for scrubs!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #187 on: February 27, 2009, 02:12:53 AM

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #188 on: February 27, 2009, 02:26:39 AM
that's only because you're a tourneyfag

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #189 on: February 27, 2009, 04:45:29 AM
You're still further away than if you were attacking as Zero.  While Ultimate delivers a welcome relief in its strong charged shot, Shadow dispenses of enemies much faster.  Overdrive and Giga Attack cause bosses a lot of pain.  Hell, you don't even have to move to beat Sigma's first form (same is true with Zero's Z-Buster).

And oh, the mobility...  There is no reason you cannot clear X6 UNARMORED, much less with Shadow Armor.  Hovering is no more valuable than ceiling-hanging.  Get equipped with Hyper Dash, and quit whining.

But in games where the saber is not as effective, Shadow Armor would be in deep trouble.

Overdrive? Hyper Dash? Hold on, now, the armor has to stand alone on it's own; no items.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #190 on: February 27, 2009, 05:02:55 AM

I ain't no scrub........ :'(

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #191 on: February 27, 2009, 05:22:54 AM
real men arent afraid to use Items. if they make me stronger and a unstoppable warmachine, ill use em.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #192 on: February 27, 2009, 07:10:19 PM
no items
Tourneyfag.

In what way is in-game item collection somehow less valid than a cheat code?

Any armor is subject to the context in which it is presented, and how their abilities mesh with others that are simultaneously available is every bit as valid as their standalone aspects.  Power-Up Parts fall under that as much as Heart Tanks, Special Weapons, and damage barrier physics do.  By the same logic you could say the ability to use/charge special weapons is negligible, since they are unrelated power-ups.

Incidentally, analyzing both armors STRICTLY on their stand-alone merits, the Shadow Armor gets further through Gate's Lab than Ultimate does.  Ultimate on its own can only clear the first tier of the spike wall, beyond that it needs either Jumper or Ice Burst.  No character/armor can clear Gate's Lab unassisted.  Unarmored, Ultimate, and Falcon are stopped at the spike wall, Shadow is stopped at the acid rain pit, and Blade and Zero are stopped by High Max.

And what exactly is the saber NOT effective against, anyway?  There are enemies which require the saber, but there are no enemies which require the buster.  And let's not forget that an opposing buster cannot penetrate Shadow's saber wave (try it on Nightmare Zero).

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #193 on: February 27, 2009, 07:20:39 PM
Wait...

...what happened to this thread?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #194 on: February 27, 2009, 10:56:09 PM
This is RPM.  No thread stays on the same topic for 8 pages unless it's Smash Bros.