Nintendo Patent Reveals Potential Paradigm Shift in Design

VixyNyan · 16813

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: January 09, 2009, 09:42:57 PM
The last living Metroid after Fusion is Samus.

The most logical scenario will be -Samus Vs. the Federation-

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: January 09, 2009, 09:43:24 PM
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.  A game is about one thing and one thing ONLY.  Having FUN.  It's Entertainment.  It's Leisure Time activity.  It brings NOTHING to the table in the grand scheme of life.  It's SOLE purpose is entertainment.  After all your power ups, all your ranks, all your speedruns, all your levels, all your points, star power, weapon gets, EVERYTHING, at the end of the game the question you have to ask yourself is "Did I Have Fun Playing It?"   That's all that matters, more than game reviews or ranks, more than anything the game itself offers.  All this Hardcore and Casual bullshit means absolutely NOTHING.  It's all about having fun. 

Amen

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder how long Metroid can last. Ridley's been biologically revived, then re-killed.
Samus has lost her original suit TWICE, then gained it back in different ways.
We've had any number of Samus clones.
Supposedly, the last Metroid in the universe is dead (certainly after Fusion, that seems to be the case, although it's really easy to retcon this).
It just seems like anything they do would feel cheap, at best.

The Fedaration had a [tornado fang]ing Metroid cloning facility in Fusion, and Samus is likely an outlaw now. Nintendo can go anywhere with the story.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: January 09, 2009, 09:45:10 PM
My [tornado fang]ing God, RPM is moving too fast for me to develop an opinion! XD

Game -- Play through the game normally. Hint system is available but not forced. So hardcore gamers could just play the game regularly and enjoy the challenge while more casual gamers can get hints if they get really stuck

So wait...You HAVE used Online Gameplay vids to get through games, and your gripe with Nintendo is that they are giving you the OPTION to view it?  That's hypocritical.  What you're saying is that regular gamers can offer helpful vids, but the companies that make the game can't?

This is pretty much the way I see it all. If we're attacking Nintendo for putting a service like this in their game, someone fire up the Delorean so we can remove Game Genies & Player's Guides from the past as well. The idea is it's up to you to find it and use it.

Posted on: January 09, 2009, 03:44:45 PM

THEN where does it go?

*dun dun*

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: January 09, 2009, 09:46:21 PM

And she survived their little "plan".

Oh, this could get interesting.

EDIT:

Isn't Wii Sports Resort whole purpose for existing to be a demo for Motion+ anyways?

I think this is something that we can all agree.

Did you even play the Prime games? However, I agree about the Fusion sequel.

Yeah, basically. Nintendo admitting, "...WHOOPS, eh heh, we should have done 1:1 in the first place, so here, buy our expensive bundle."

I agree with it. The "hardcore" won't, though.

Prime was fun, albeit a little aggravating. Where's the button that makes Samus "HOLY ****, WHAT'S BEHIND ME, I'D BETTER TURN 180 AROUND"? Or look at the enemy that last shot you.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: January 09, 2009, 09:48:01 PM
See, Metroid is [tornado fang]ing awesome with the amount of potential it has... Hey wait, we're supposed to be debating patents in here! XD

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #55 on: January 09, 2009, 09:48:50 PM
It's all about having fun. 

I have fun playing games. Always have, always will.

After looking through this topic again, the rest of the members doesn't seem to feel the same way. o.o

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: January 09, 2009, 09:49:35 PM
Did you miss PB's post?

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: January 09, 2009, 09:50:14 PM
Did you miss PB's post?

I said the rest of the members. >U<

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: January 09, 2009, 09:50:40 PM
Yeah, basically. Nintendo admitting, "...WHOOPS, eh heh, we should have done 1:1 in the first place, so here, buy our expensive bundle."

I agree with it. The "hardcore" won't, though.

I disagree.  If this game offers perfect hand movement, and a new Star Fox comes out with the Option to use the Wii-Mote like a Flight Stick, the "hardcore" will do a [tornado fang]ing barrel roll with that thing!

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: January 09, 2009, 09:52:01 PM
So wait...You HAVE used Online Gameplay vids to get through games, and your gripe with Nintendo is that they are giving you the OPTION to view it?  That's hypocritical.  What you're saying is that regular gamers can offer helpful vids, but the companies that make the game can't?

My point is that I think it is most odd that a company like Nintendo thinks their games are so hard people cannot beat it without assistance. I know it's supposedly just an optional addon, but the fact that they think such an option should be included in the games feels almost insulting. It's like "Oh, so here's our new game. You might have trouble with it, so we added a feature which shows you how to get it done." If Nintendo thought their games were too hard for the people, why not make them easier in the first place. Then again, something like that would probably cast away a lot of die-hard fans.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.  A game is about one thing and one thing ONLY.  Having FUN.  It's Entertainment.  It's Leisure Time activity.  It brings NOTHING to the table in the grand scheme of life.  It's SOLE purpose is entertainment.  After all your power ups, all your ranks, all your speedruns, all your levels, all your points, star power, weapon gets, EVERYTHING, at the end of the game the question you have to ask yourself is "Did I Have Fun Playing It?"   That's all that matters, more than game reviews or ranks, more than anything the game itself offers.  All this Hardcore and Casual bullshit means absolutely NOTHING.  It's all about having fun.

Of course a game is supposed to be fun. That's why it's a game! But where is the sense in that the producer of the game thinks that the player won't be able to complete the game and thus is getting frustrated, not having any fun and throws the game out of the window altogether and in order to prevent this from happening drops in a help system? Challenge, for me, is a major factor of having fun with a game. If it's so rediculously easy that I don't even have to play full attention to it, there's no fun in it.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: January 09, 2009, 09:54:50 PM

So PB is not member anym...oh wait, mod >U<

Anyways, before someone else does it, I'll have to say that fun is subjective.

My point is that I think it is most odd that a company like Nintendo thinks their games are so hard people cannot beat it without assistance. I know it's supposedly just an optional addon, but the fact that they think such an option should be included in the games feels almost insulting. It's like "Oh, so here's our new game. You might have trouble with it, so we added a feature which shows you how to get it done." If Nintendo thought their games were too hard for the people, why not make them easier in the first place. Then again, something like that would probably cast away a lot of die-hard fans.

I see it more like "here, have this option to watch replays so you don't have to get away from the game and search the internet for a walkthrough."

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: January 09, 2009, 09:56:37 PM
I disagree.  If this game offers perfect hand movement, and a new Star Fox comes out with the Option to use the Wii-Mote like a Flight Stick, the "hardcore" will do a [tornado fang]ing barrel roll with that thing!

I wanted to comment on HyperSonic's comment, so thank you for bringing it back to light. You do realize that Nintendo heavily compromised the WiiMote from it's unveiling to it's actual production due t the parts being too expensive, right? We would be talking 100 dollars for a complete WiiMote+Nunchuk setup versus the $60 now, and even that was too high for them in hindsight. There's an article on this where Miyamoto & Iwata stated that they were kinda saddened that they had to tweak the specs of the Wii but they did so in order to make sure it wouldn't alienate the market. I don't know about you, but coming from a gen like last in Nintendo's situation with unstable enough legs market wise, I'd say they made the right choice.

And yes, if Sin & Punishment 2 is the shooter appetizer for a StarFox 64 topping StarFox Wii WITH MotionPlus support, I will trust my instincts and break through that fleet to the nearest damn retailer and buy two copies for the hell of it. XD

I'd better not be one of those members. XD

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: January 09, 2009, 10:00:24 PM

Bah, to me, such stuff is uncessary. And Nintendo apparently fails to get Star Fox done right since 64 anyway. I would have instantly bought a DS solely for Command but when I heard that you do everything with that stupid pen, I pretty much lost faith in Nintendo. Maybe I'm just to ignorant to innovation, but from my standpoint, Nintendo is pushing me away and towards the competion because they seek new ways of playing games. I got a PSP instead of a DS and a 360 instead of a Wii, simply because on these I can still play it the way I want games to be.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: January 09, 2009, 10:01:11 PM

If it's anything like Powersliding with the Wii Wheel, it would be a disaster.

The StarFox/Star Fox 64 side of me says to just play using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, no pointing at the screen to shoot, waggling to Aileron (barrel roll), etc.

You do realize that Nintendo heavily compromised the WiiMote from it's unveiling to it's actual production due t the parts being too expensive, right? We would be talking 100 dollars for a complete WiiMote+Nunchuk setup versus the $60 now, and even that was too high for them in hindsight. There's an article on this where Miyamoto & Iwata stated that they were kinda saddened that they had to tweak the specs of the Wii but they did so in order to make sure it wouldn't alienate the market.

The Wiimote and Nunchuk prices were already astronomical, people were already complaining about 'em when the Wii launched. I just think they could have sent the Wiimote back to the drawing board until it was 1:1, but if Nintendo had already tried that and the price was way, way too high, then so be it.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: January 09, 2009, 10:04:24 PM
If it's anything like Powersliding with the Wii Wheel, it would be a disaster.

The StarFox/Star Fox 64 side of me says to just play using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, no pointing at the screen to shoot, waggling to Aileron (barrel roll), etc.

More than likely, this will be an option as well. However, seriously, MotionPlus and Star Fox just sound right for one another imo.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: January 09, 2009, 10:04:29 PM
I liked Star Fox Assault... :'(

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: January 09, 2009, 10:05:58 PM
I never got a chance to play it. :'(

It only sounded like story and amount of time flying were the only two criticisms though. Maybe floaty Arwing physics. '>.>

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: January 09, 2009, 10:06:15 PM
Bah, to me, such stuff is uncessary. And Nintendo apparently fails to get Star Fox done right since 64 anyway. I would have instantly bought a DS solely for Command but when I heard that you do everything with that stupid pen, I pretty much lost faith in Nintendo. Maybe I'm just to ignorant to innovation, but from my standpoint, Nintendo is pushing me away and towards the competion because they seek new ways of playing games. I got a PSP instead of a DS and a 360 instead of a Wii, simply because on these I can still play it the way I want games to be.

In other words, you're a purist. Am I right?

So did I, but remember, different is bad D:

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: January 09, 2009, 10:06:37 PM
More than likely, this will be an option as well. However, seriously, MotionPlus and Star Fox just sound right for one another imo.

Careful.
We all thought Command's stylus-control would be "an option", too. :|

Star Fox Assault was fun! ...until the on-foot gameplay started to wear on everybody.

It only sounded like story and amount of time flying were the only two criticisms though. Maybe floaty Arwing physics. '>.>

On-Rails Arwing: Two main complaints. One being the lack of distinction between scenery and colliding objects, and two, the last level where tons of enemies and bullets would be fired from behind you, with little to no warning.

All-Range Arwing: This is probably what you're referring to. Compared to the stages, the Arwings were HUGE. On top of that, skimming your wings was incredibly easy to do, so you took damage, and didn't know how it happened until too late.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: January 09, 2009, 10:07:53 PM
Careful.
We all thought Command's stylus-control would be "an option", too. :|

True, that's why I didn't get it. I didn't give the controls a chance though, so it may not be as bad as I thought.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: January 09, 2009, 10:09:13 PM
Assault was fun during the flight missions. The rest was... meh.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: January 09, 2009, 10:09:24 PM

There are gamers out there who think that the classic MM games are "hard" when they're painfully easy to someone like me.  If Capcom added an option to the game to show them how to get through it, it doesn't mean that they'll still be able to actually do the specific motions to actually get through it.  Plus, it doesn't mean that we, as gamers, have to use it, just like we don't have to use the Net.  It's not insulting.  It's just an option to help the people who can't quite find that Key in the Forest Temple, or something like that.  Again, I never see more options and trying something new as a bad thing.  I mean, I'd never use the vids.  I've never used any kind of vids.  Hell, the only thing I ever really used GameFaqs for is for Pokemon info. 

Of course a game is supposed to be fun. That's why it's a game! But where is the sense in that the producer of the game thinks that the player won't be able to complete the game and thus is getting frustrated, not having any fun and throws the game out of the window altogether and in order to prevent this from happening drops in a help system? Challenge, for me, is a major factor of having fun with a game. If it's so rediculously easy that I don't even have to play full attention to it, there's no fun in it.

Believe me, I love a challenge too.  It's why I didn't like EXE6.  The game was shamefully easy.  However, I'm older.  Challenge, for us, is an important factor of having fun.  However, I look at someone like my friend Dave.  Due to being older and having to go to work and life and all that, he doesn't have the time to sit and enjoy a Final Fantasy game like he used to, so he GameSharks the hell out of it cause he still wants to play it and go through the story.  That's what he finds fun.

Also, this was my case for Wii Music as well.  No, it's definitely not a traditional game by any stretch of the imagination, and it's not even doing that well.  However, I got the game for my soon to be 5 Year Old niece tomorrow, and she absolutely loves the game.  She has so much fun playing it.  She also likes Super Mario Bros, DBZ: BT3, and Legend Of Zelda, even though she has very little clue what's she's doing.  But, she's still having fun, and that's what matters to me more than anything else.

And that's the point.  You have fun playing games the traditional way.  Others have fun playing games the Wii way.  That's the point of it all.  To have fun.  Believe me, I agree with you.  I HATED the Star Fox DS controls.  They should've added in the option to play it the traditional way.  That's my point when I believe that adding options is always a good thing.  It's not that you're ignorant to innovation.  It's that the Wii simply doesn't appeal to you, which is fine.  Myself, I love the MoteChuk combo for certain games, and the GC Controller for others.  I mean, holy [tornado fang] do I love me some Kamehameha action with the MoteChuk!  XD

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: January 09, 2009, 10:10:49 PM
True, that's why I didn't get it. I didn't give the controls a chance though, so it may not be as bad as I thought.

Eh, if you have a thumb-stylus, it's okay. Otherwise, hoo boy, it's nuts.

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: January 09, 2009, 10:15:42 PM

I fell in love with the game when I saw the first few seconds of the teaser trailer in highly detailed graphics. THEN I saw how the actual game looked and was shocked. And on foot missions in game which is based on DOGFIGHTS is simply a no go. Since the game would feature a bigger part of it's gameplay in that way after Adventures was more of a placeholder until Nintendo could get a Zelda going, I gave the game a chance. The first level was awesome and it was just like 64. But after that, it was crappy. I felt like the first level was made by an entirely different team than the rest of the game and I recall even IGN noted that. Assault was too sloppy, too slow and too undynamic and, normally I go not judge a game for it's graphics but, the game looked horrible, ESPECIALLY after you had seen what Rare was able to pull of in Adventures.

In other words, you're a purist. Am I right?

I wouldn't go that far since I started gaming with the N64 and not the earlier consoles (I did have a SNES before that, but I really started buy games on my own with the N64), but I simply begin to miss the way games (or pretty much everything else entertaimentwise) they were back in the 90s.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: January 09, 2009, 10:17:03 PM
but I simply begin to miss the way games (or pretty much everything else entertaimentwise) they were back in the 90s.

Oh, I think we all do at times.