Red Ash: The Indelible Legend - A Comcept Mega Man Legends style game

Soultrigger · 52321

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
I imagine they did MN9 first mostly as a test run of everything. First off, if they can get funded at all- second to see how it'd work.

otherwise im not surprised if they wouldve just gone straight for Not-Legends.

that said im not digging that episodic thing they are going for.

Come on now Comcept, Capcom did a legends 3 prototype because they didnt want to make it and were going to see if there was interest. you have no excuse
Except, you know, there was likely some base funding for Legends 3 from Capcom. They likely don't have that luxury here.

Knowing how things work in the industry itself (source: I frickin work in it) their actions here make total sense. They want to get the ball rolling on the pre-production while the majority of their team is putting the final touches on MN9. They want to get base funding and probably don't have a publisher in place for it, so this is their way to both gauge interest and get some funding to at least get the project off the ground.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
that said im not digging that episodic thing they are going for.

Come on now Comcept, Capcom did a legends 3 prototype because they didnt want to make it and were going to see if there was interest. you have no excuse

They have a very good excuse actually. A full game of this would be astronomically more expensive than MN9. Remember Inafune's comments before Legends 3 about a "current gen console Legends game" where he said he needs to play the lottery and hope for at least 16 million dollars? Yeah, that. He's not gettign 16m from kickstarter.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Can someone put the kickstarter links on the first page of this thread?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Main theme by Manami Matsumae:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aee-HSZMc2k

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Nice.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I had a thought. Assuming Red Ash does well on its kickstarter and is successful on its eventual full run, do you suppose it might make capcom respond in kind? Om not expecting Legends 3 here, but, yknow, to do something with the series.

Also, i was reminded of that dead lgends fangame from a few years back, also named ASH. (Another Story in Halcyon)

Funny thing that.

You could say its a... MIGHTY coincidence!

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
It's certainly possible in my opinion, the thought crossed my mind as well.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Well Capcom is already planning a 30th anniversary cartoon show sorts for MegaMan, with rumors of a game that will coincide with the series as well. Odds are the overwhelming support for Mighty No. 9, which has a game & cartoon series coming out, helped with this.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
The anime Kickstarter is finally close to being 50% funded.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Well Capcom is already planning a 30th anniversary cartoon show sorts for MegaMan, with rumors of a game that will coincide with the series as well. Odds are the overwhelming support for Mighty No. 9, which has a game & cartoon series coming out, helped with this.

I dunno. With how tone deaf Capcom's upper management can be and has historically been, I'd be surprised if MN9's developments really made a dent with whatever was going on during those talks between the "Top Men".  8D

But in any case, I doubt Capcom will greenlight anything else pertaining to the Rockman brand (like a DASH sequel), until they at least have one solid flagship to build the franchise on, again. That pretty much means that whatever is going to be the new "face" of the franchise in a year or so had better be up to the task~!

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
A console port stretch goal has finally been added at the $1,000,000 mark though the choice of console has not been decided yet but there will be a preliminary poll to see which console the backers want most while they negotiate, though it'll most likely be the PS4 I think.  The goal for episode 4 and 5 has been pushed back to 1.5 mil.

Offline Mary_Nelson

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Just pledged, I was waiting for news that it would go on a console.  I'm starting to feel excited about this!

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Once this news hits the gaming news sites we'll see a significant rise in pledges.  In the mean time I'm still waiting for them to make a facebook page.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
I dunno. With how tone deaf Capcom's upper management can be and has historically been, I'd be surprised if MN9's developments really made a dent with whatever was going on during those talks between the "Top Men".  8D

But in any case, I doubt Capcom will greenlight anything else pertaining to the Rockman brand (like a DASH sequel), until they at least have one solid flagship to build the franchise on, again. That pretty much means that whatever is going to be the new "face" of the franchise in a year or so had better be up to the task~!

Tis true. The Top Men have been acting a lot like Numskull Men as of late, so it's possibly MN9 has nothing to do with it. Who really knows what goes through their heads. I guess we'll see in two years when we get more info about the new cartoon series.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
I think Mega Man being on a hiatus for so long is a combination of Capcom not knowing what to do with the brand and how risky AAA titles can be financially. It's obvious people want a Mega Man game and I'm sure Capcom knows that, but my guess is that Capcom isn't looking to make a MM game that caters to the 100,000 people that will buy it in a heartbeat, they want a MM game that could actually move millions of units. It's no surprise Capcom is funneling most of its budget towards Street Fighter and Monster Hunter: those things actually sell.

I mean, you guys realize, Mega Man 2 is only Capcom's 38th best selling game and doesn't even come close to top 10. Source

Also, by that list, the most recent successful Mega Man game was Battle Network 4, which was released in 2003.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
I think Mega Man being on a hiatus for so long is a combination of Capcom not knowing what to do with the brand and how risky AAA titles can be financially. It's obvious people want a Mega Man game and I'm sure Capcom knows that, but my guess is that Capcom isn't looking to make a MM game that caters to the 100,000 people that will buy it in a heartbeat, they want a MM game that could actually move millions of units. It's no surprise Capcom is funneling most of its budget towards Street Fighter and Monster Hunter: those things actually sell.

But that's the interesting thing. Rockman, as you know, was never really a "AAA" franchise. Most of the mainstream games during their hey days (re: OG, X and EXE) were always made with pretty modest (re: shoestring) budgets and often had quick turn around times that went along with them being made near-annual franchises. But the difference was that the marketing and merchandising more than made up for how the games themselves didn't sell gangbusters. Toys, comics/manga and tv shows. Those were the ways that Capcom and their business partners made money off of Rockman. Little wonder that Rockman fell out of favor around the same time the EXE/BattleNetwork money train started running out of steam and Ryuusei/StarForce wasn't able to get passengers back on board.

So, while I'm sure Capcom would love the games to be multimillion hits, their main concern with the new MM is likely to get him situated as an icon that can be the face of a multimedia empire, once again. If they can get a MM that can launch a toyline, a successful tv show and an Archie comic that doesn't struggle for readership (among other possibilities), Capcom will likely be pleased as punch, even if the games still perform only about as well as most mainstream MM games usually do.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Well Capcom is already planning a 30th anniversary cartoon show sorts for MegaMan, with rumors of a game that will coincide with the series as well.

Cause that turned out great for Sonic.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
But that's the interesting thing. Rockman, as you know, was never really a "AAA" franchise. Most of the mainstream games during their hey days (re: OG, X and EXE) were always made with pretty modest (re: shoestring) budgets and often had quick turn around times that went along with them being made near-annual franchises. But the difference was that the marketing and merchandising more than made up for how the games themselves didn't sell gangbusters. Toys, comics/manga and tv shows. Those were the ways that Capcom and their business partners made money off of Rockman. Little wonder that Rockman fell out of favor around the same time the EXE/BattleNetwork money train started running out of steam and Ryuusei/StarForce wasn't able to get passengers back on board.

So, while I'm sure Capcom would love the games to be multimillion hits, their main concern with the new MM is likely to get him situated as an icon that can be the face of a multimedia empire, once again. If they can get a MM that can launch a toyline, a successful tv show and an Archie comic that doesn't struggle for readership (among other possibilities), Capcom will likely be pleased as punch, even if the games still perform only about as well as most mainstream MM games usually do.

That's the bottom line really, which is why I've been saying since the Capclomsterfuck many years ago that they need to try and branch out the series to other mediums, like a cartoon of sorts. Having Rock in Smash Bros was a great way to get started and now they can hopefully move forward a bit.

Oh, I didn't say it'd be good!  8D

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile

To be fair, we're talking about two different companies, here. On their best days, Capcom usually does well with the whole "multimedia" thing. For example, Gaist Crusher's was pretty well done. It's just that the games themselves didn't catch on, so whatever flagship they were trying to establish was sunk before it even left the harbor.

They try such a thing again with a game that actually becomes a hit, and who knows?

That's the bottom line really, which is why I've been saying since the Capclomsterfuck many years ago that they need to try and branch out the series to other mediums, like a cartoon of sorts. Having Rock in Smash Bros was a great way to get started and now they can hopefully move forward a bit.

All that they're doing right now seems like it's preparing for the next "big thing". Rock's appearance in Smash. (Yet another) Mega Man Collection prepped to be release, along with the VC ports that have been available. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we get our new series announcement as a surprise at something like TGS or Jump Festa by next year, so that the lead up to Rock's 30th anniversary is rung in with style.

And they can start making up for gypping him on his 25th!  8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
All that they're doing right now seems like it's preparing for the next "big thing". Rock's appearance in Smash. (Yet another) Mega Man Collection prepped to be release, along with the VC ports that have been available. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we get our new series announcement as a surprise at something like TGS or Jump Festa by next year, so that the lead up to Rock's 30th anniversary is rung in with style.

And they can start making up for gypping him on his 25th!  8D

I mean, this could all still be just one giant mega cocktease regarding a new series, which would surprise no one at this point. However, with this cartoon, the prepping, the wearable MegaMan helmet coming out, the life size Blues Shield (absolute zero proof of this. Just reaaaaaaally hoping  8D), the new head of the MegaMan division (not sure if that's actually a thing, but man would I like that title XD) and so on, we can only hope that the push is real.

By the way, do you Smash in Smash4, Ben ol' friend?  [eyebrow]

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Why am I thinking of a Blues Shield Wake Board when you mentioned that?

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
The Final Bosman: How to Fail a Kickstarter

EDIT: Can't get rid of the large gap in the post.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I like this flyer someone made that they wanted put at places like gamestop and other game stores.  I don't know if it would do much if anything in this day and age, nor if they could get permission, but it's the thought that counts.

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/s960x960/11698947_10206443651147633_352459668489460219_o.jpg

Also some dude another forum is doing some kind of contest where for every person that enters he'll multiply it by 5 and donate that amount of money to the kickstarter. 

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Not with "spiritual successor of Mega Man Legends" they can't.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Hmm yeah you got a point there, not sure if the person who made it can actually say that on the flyer.