Storytelling in manga and comics

Waifu · 2360

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: July 20, 2009, 08:23:12 AM
I realize after reading a few comics and myself over my lifetime that I notcied a few difference as well as similarites in the story aspect of comics or manga. This isn't a manga versus comics thread as I had lurked in those threads in other forums and while some can be pretty thought provoking, sometimes I find I find endless trolling and nonsense. I do not have or know all the differences but I had noted some matters such as:

1 For one thing in terms of storytelling, manga tends to be a little fast paced and they tend to spread onto more issues before a story arc is resolved. Western Comics save graphic novels tend to be self contained stories that pretty much focus on story and character development.

2. Both mediums have many different genres that many writers and artists explore but I find that most of the time, the consequences of the protagonists are somewhat more explored in comics than in manga where thet are pretty much excused of their actions in the story.

3. On the storytelling aspect, I notice that comics have a smaller story arcs that encompass a longer, complex arc but manga specifically ongoing manga tend to go on one arc with one antagonist causing all sorts of trouble in an arc until the next one shows and is apparently more powerful than last antagonist who had somehow been deposed of.

4. Japanese manga tend to be a bit more visual with its storytelling than Western comics that use mostly dialogue.

I am only making generalizations, I hadn't read that many manga or comics but I had noted some differences in storytelling as well as the art. Again, I do not know too much on the subject and I might as well be horribly worng on the topics at hand but these are my thoughts on the subject and this is not a comics vs. manga thread, I enjoy both mediums.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:18:18 AM
cool story bro

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:26:32 AM
I'm not quite sure I understand the point of this topic.  Are you asking a question or just stating your mind?

And judging by your points, and how you said you're not very knowledgeable about this subject, it's pretty obvious that you haven't read very many comics.  You seem to contradict yourself an awful lot.  I mean, if you're not very knowledgeable on the subject, why did you make a topic masquerading as if you were and then saying you weren't and therefore making the point of the topic moot?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:46:45 AM
1 For one thing in terms of storytelling, manga tends to be a little fast paced and they tend to spread onto more issues before a story arc is resolved. Western Comics save graphic novels tend to be self contained stories that pretty much focus on story and character development.

Your point about fast paced storytelling kinda contradicts itself...

2. Both mediums have many different genres that many writers and artists explore but I find that most of the time, the consequences of the protagonists are somewhat more explored in comics than in manga where thet are pretty much excused of their actions in the story.

I don't read much manga, but if it's like you just described, that's what we like to call "bad storytelling."

3. On the storytelling aspect, I notice that comics have a smaller story arcs that encompass a longer, complex arc but manga specifically ongoing manga tend to go on one arc with one antagonist causing all sorts of trouble in an arc until the next one shows and is apparently more powerful than last antagonist who had somehow been deposed of.

...Okay, this point kinda contradicts the first point about fast paced storytelling...

4. Japanese manga tend to be a bit more visual with its storytelling than Western comics that use mostly dialogue.

What?  Both are visual and use pretty much the same about of Word Bubbles.  Well, cept if you read Bendis' work.  Man, he can't enough of the Word Bubbles.

I am only making generalizations, I hadn't read that many manga or comics but I had noted some differences in storytelling as well as the art. Again, I do not know too much on the subject and I might as well be horribly worng on the topics at hand but these are my thoughts on the subject and this is not a comics vs. manga thread, I enjoy both mediums.

......So, if I'm to understand correctly, you don't read a lot of manga or comics, nor don't know much on the subject.....and you decided to make a topic trying to compare two things you don't know much about....for what reason exactly?

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:08:03 AM

Uh, what? I'll admit that I haven't really read that many comics (only a couple of Deadpool comics, but that's besides the point) but I can say that's generally false. Of the comics I've read, there have been parts that seemed to have been brought in from other stories besides the comic series that is currently taking place. So, from what I can gather, comics are not self contained but are spread out among other stories told in the same universe.

As for your point on manga, there is character development. It just tends to happen so fast it just tends to blur into the rest of what's going on. True, there's generally only one main antagonistic character per story arc in a manga, but in the background there's other characters that may fill in that role to prevent progress to the main big bad or may actually work with him/her/it.

2. Both mediums have many different genres that many writers and artists explore but I find that most of the time, the consequences of the protagonists are somewhat more explored in comics than in manga where they are pretty much excused of their actions in the story.

Uh, they have the same genres, dude. It's just that manga tends to explore those genres differently than comics.

And that second point is so retarded that I may as well not bother with it... Oh wait...

lol wut?

In all the manga I've read there may be one current antagonistic character doing things, but there's a lot of other things going on at the same time. New characters are introduced, we may explore why a character does what they do, etc. I'm sure it's the same for comics.

...But, they're both visual. That's why they're called graphic novels.

This is why I can't take you seriously. You started this like you knew what the hell you're talking about, but then end by saying "Just kidding, gaiz, I really have no clue how this [parasitic bomb] works." That not only makes your point moot, but makes us feel like we wasted time reading this.

These may have been generalizations, however, none of them could really be considered on target.

As far as I'm concerned there's very little difference between the two other than the fact that one set is made in America while the other is made in Japan.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 10:16:47 AM
...But, they're both visual. That's why they're called graphic novels.
Do Japanese comic books have as much of a problem of characters explaining their own thoughts and actions to themselves?

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 10:17:50 AM
Only if they're written by Bendis.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 12:20:35 PM
Wow. Just, WOW.

So, just like everyone told you already, you are comparing manga and comics, while you didn't read a lot of the latter? Umm... or are you expecting us to do the same in this thread, because you are actually asking a question?

Well, from what I see:

With manga, the dominant and most ofteen seen genre is shounen(I know it's a demographic, but [tornado fang]), while comics... ESPECIALLY, American comics are mostly centering on "Clowns in costumes", that is to say Super Heroes. BUT. When you think about it, those two are not so different from each other.

Both often span almost neverending storylines, both are(in most cases) saving the world and fighting evil(or at least just the latter) and they both have SUM powerlevel.

Except that, in American comics there's a lot of shitty political propaganda(I should know, I read Marvel). Where in manga, that's usually absent.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 06:23:03 PM
There's an obligitory diffrence between Manga and Comics, obviously it's in the storytelling. unlike newspaper comics that span rather about two or five strips (see: Garfeild and Family Circus) and they are usually lighthearted comics, now comics in the books themselves are rather darker than said newspaper counterparts (see: Marvel Comics). Manga abides this and can range from a lighthearted silly comic (see: Lucky Star, not the best example but works) to a more darker story (Casshern Sins or maybe those rather dark stories we all just LOVE, aka a few certain shoujo manga) and stories can be either more than just saving the world from some rather appointed Villan turned Anti-Hero to murder stories.

Other than that there might not be a storytelling diffrence at all in this case, it depends on the scenario mostly.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 08:47:24 AM
i like how manga and comics are different things to you people

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 08:56:51 AM
GG...

*sigh*

okay, i'll agree on the whole point of the word called the 'difference', but um.

yes they're from different countries and yes, because we have so many writers and artists or people who do both, henceforth there are many differences.

But to just downright say there is a difference between 'comics' and 'manga'.  Business aside, but w/ the amount of artists and writers, there will obviously be similarities and differences.  Go read Gyo, or The Maxx.

It's like saying novels from Europe are different than novels from North America.  Think about it.

I think I didn't made sense...but I don't want to make a wall of text, so GG, think a bit more thoroughly.  Your mentality is only on superhero genre and whatever Shonen Jump publishes and what Shonen Jump focuses on the selling point.  (besides, Death Note was published by Shonen Jump.  Think about that).

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 09:39:32 AM
Y'know... this topic was a moot point from the beginning.  It was full of contradictions, which everyone has pointed out, and you, GG, said that you weren't very knowledgeable on the subject either.  I seriously don't know what point you were trying to make, if there was one.  Were you trying to ask a question?  Wanting to start a nasty debate?  Just stating your mind? 

Starting a debate on whichever comics medium is better here would be a bad idea.  There are a handful of Western comic aficionados versus a [parasitic bomb] ton of weeaboos.  Things would get ugly really quick.   

Discussing comics and storytelling is fine.  But next time... have a point to your topic.  And do a bit of research beforehand so you actually know what you're talking about.  Locking this bad boy as it's just gonna segue into either flames or a nasty debate.