The Official Pokémon Black & White Discussion Thread

Klavier Gavin · 346893

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1475 on: March 22, 2011, 11:50:58 PM
Well, the endgame is pretty awesome if you ask me. Also, I'll be honest, making TMs infinitely reusable made this game SO much better just because I could actually experiment with them now instead of saving them all for god knows when and never using them. Also, only one required use of HMs for the story/to reach any of the towns was great.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #1476 on: March 23, 2011, 12:20:31 AM
Well, the endgame is pretty awesome if you ask me. Also, I'll be honest, making TMs infinitely reusable made this game SO much better just because I could actually experiment with them now instead of saving them all for god knows when and never using them. Also, only one required use of HMs for the story/to reach any of the towns was great.
TMs infinitely reusable? AWESOME!
One requirem use of HMs for the story to reach any of the towns? WEEE!

Okay, I think I might play this longer now, if only because I want to see that endgame. : P

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1477 on: March 23, 2011, 07:24:17 AM
I must say, I'm really enjoying this thus far. Especially the battle music. It's really good.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1478 on: March 23, 2011, 07:38:32 AM
Suprisingly I actually like the story in this game a little bit better than the others, well it makes more sense than the other games for sure.

But yeah the music in this game is awesome the only downside in this game that I'm seeing is Emboar's move set sucking badly in terms of fighting type moves, Pansage before you evolve him, and Zebstrika doesn't seem to get many good moves either.  I know Emboar's big and all but it could at least learn Cross Chop.

On the other hand Zoroark and Carracosta are too awesome, some of the best I've ever had even.

Unfezant honestly I didn't expect much out of her but Piggeot, Starraptor, and Skarmory are much better.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1479 on: March 23, 2011, 07:49:21 AM
I must say, I'm really enjoying this thus far. Especially the battle music. It's really good.

Yeah, it's probably the best OST of the series if you ask me. It just annoys me that to hear some songs in all their glory you have to go out of your way to search for specific NPCs that will start playing an instrument/sing after that.

Still, man, the music for the fight with the legendary pokemon is amazing, and I just love the theme in N's final battle (which showed me a really kick ass fanart of the moment when listening to it on Youtube, so extra points to it).

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #1480 on: March 23, 2011, 08:29:43 PM
Also, I'll be honest, making TMs infinitely reusable made this game SO much better just because I could actually experiment with them now instead of saving them all for god knows when and never using them.

^This, this, and this!  This is the first time that I've ever actually used a TM in-game while playing Pokemon, and it feels great!  I'm allowed to see early on what moves are a good fit, and now it feels like I've actually accomplished something by beating a Gym Leader, aside from the obligatory badge and all that.  Plus, now you're given more liberty when making teams, since the Gym Leader TMs aren't obtained only once anymore (and some others).  No one wants to play Voltorb Flip over and over again just to get more uses of Substitute.  >_<

Currently I've beaten the Elite Four and am working on grinding my team and trying to complete the Unova Dex.  After the game there is an immense power creep and you really can't touch any new trainers as they'll grind you to dust immediately.  Thankfully Audino's so friendly with the Exp.   8)  Interestingly enough, I found the game to be fairly easy throughout; I never blacked out a single time during my entire playthrough, and that's a first for any Pokemon game.  Only until the post-game does the game drop the bomb on you.

In terms of Pokemon being good for in-game, I'd have to note that Darumaka is broken!  Seriously, this thing will kill off most Pokemon with around 1 hit, thanks to Hustle.  Once it evolves and drops Hustle for Sheer Force, he seriously goes wild.  Fire Punch is a killer in the hands of this guy.  Catching a Tympole early on will seriously help you in the long run as well.  Electric immunity pays off quite a bit in this, especially against a certain gym leader.  I wasn't disappointed one bit by choosing Oshawott as my starter.  While I don't like the way it initially looks, it gets much better as it evolves and actually hits pretty hard.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1481 on: March 23, 2011, 10:29:49 PM
Currently I've beaten the Elite Four and am working on grinding my team and trying to complete the Unova Dex.  After the game there is an immense power creep and you really can't touch any new trainers as they'll grind you to dust immediately. 

Not really. Sure, they're 60 somethings vs your 40-50 somethings, but they're still only stage 1 60 somethings so they die to everything that is SE.

Offline X-3

• ???
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #1482 on: March 23, 2011, 11:51:00 PM
Believe it or not, I didn't have much trouble taking on most of the post-game trainers with Pokemon that had just hit level 50. I did think, at first, that I'd have to grind a lot. Then I realized that a majority of the trainers in the new routes were using under-leveled or just plain bad Pokemon. "Oh no! A level 63 Caterpie! I may have out sped that Weedle, but I'm sure this one will sweep my team with a crippling Tackle attack!"

So, uh...what Solar said.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #1483 on: March 24, 2011, 12:40:48 AM
Some of them are stage one, and some aren't.  I'm possibly thinking of the wild Pokemon that you find in tall grass over the trainers themselves.  In B/W, you can find a LOT of fully-evolved Pokemon in the wild, especially stuff that you'd never have found in earlier games.  My jaw dropped when I found a wild Gliscor just sitting there, and there's quite a few others as well that are like that.  Depending on the area, they can be found close to level 70 (try outside of Kyurem's cave).  This does make Pokemon collecting easier, though, as you don't have to level up as many Pokemon just to get them evolved.

My YouTube Channel

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1484 on: March 24, 2011, 01:25:23 AM
The best part about that? You can also find pokemon that need evolution stones to evolve in the wild, saving you from spending one just to fill the dex.

Also, I'll be honest, if you're having trouble handling anything in the postgame other than maybe Kyurem because I haven't fought him yet and the actually strong trainers (E4 rematch/Cynthia more specifically), your team sucks, period. It's one thing if they're all weary from continuous battle, but if they're all full health? You really shouldn't be having any problem.

Anyways, extremely random question, am I the only one shipping the MC/Black with that girl you ride the Ferris Wheel with? >.> Seriously, I dunno why but the  "Just...just until we start to descend...Please...stay..." while she was crying combined with the music got me for some reason.

...I demand fanart of that pairing >.>

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #1485 on: March 24, 2011, 03:12:06 AM
Nah, it's more of an issue with me being too lazy to buy items at times.  With Kyurem I was having more problems trying to not kill him than actually staying alive.  Bisharp's Defiant raises his Attack 2 stages if one of his stats goes down, and Kyurem has a move that's guaranteed to lower your speed.  Let's just say that I had to soft-reset often as an Iron Head that was meant to get his health low would outright kill him with his ability activated.  Thankfully the boost does nothing but good on False Swipe.  Caught Kyurem on my first Dusk Ball and was promptly killed by the first Sneasel I met (Ice Shard) as I was at low health with no recovery items on-hand.  -u-'

My YouTube Channel

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1486 on: March 25, 2011, 06:00:29 AM
Fanart of pairing, none yet.
Fanart of the office girl crying, quite a number.

Well, finally got to the League in White, though it seems one of my Pokemon are a bit under-EV'd.
Samurott... Hell, he's slower than my Emboar!
Serperior, Emboar, Samurott, Unfezant, Krookodile, Vanilluxe... I think I'm ready. *grinds to lvl55 just to be sure*

Also, no mention of free Lucky Egg that you do not need to search frantically?

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1487 on: March 25, 2011, 06:08:18 AM
Pfft, you're ove rleveled, none of my pokemon were even at 50 until I beat the E4.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1488 on: March 25, 2011, 06:19:37 AM
Bah, I'm just preparing myself for Zekrom, N, and Ghetsis. >.>

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1489 on: March 25, 2011, 06:26:19 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=759oWvskLRI&feature=feedu[/youtube]

A friend showed me this. I thought it was funny!

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1490 on: March 25, 2011, 06:29:51 AM
Bah, I'm just preparing myself for Zekrom, N, and Ghetsis. >.>

My point stands because I got to level 50 with Ghetsis, and even then with only one poké >.>

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1491 on: March 25, 2011, 06:55:31 AM
My point stands because I got to level 50 with Ghetsis, and even then with only one poké >.>
... STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!

And...
DO NOT F*** WITH METAPOD

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1492 on: March 25, 2011, 07:00:34 AM
NEVER
>.> >.> >.> >.> >.> >.> >.>

Ok, that [tornado fang]ing got me XD

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1493 on: March 25, 2011, 07:06:42 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=759oWvskLRI&feature=feedu[/youtube]

A friend showed me this. I thought it was funny!
My god so many Psychic and Dark types, though I have to admit even with the Metapod I be his team would have been somewhat formidable.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1494 on: March 25, 2011, 07:07:40 AM
NEVER
>.> >.> >.> >.> >.> >.> >.>

Ok, that [tornado fang]ing got me XD
HELL YEA FIREFIGHTERS 8U

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #1495 on: March 25, 2011, 07:08:00 AM
A well-balanced team can almost always decimate a team focused around one or two types.

(Pointless sage advice)

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1496 on: March 26, 2011, 01:52:14 AM
Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I pretty much use Ragnorok to cover Snovert's weaknesses, while I plan to have Victini cover Ragnorok's weakness to fighting, possibly with Downy also covering both's water weakness too. Gigi could just cover a number of pokemon that are weak to bug types mostly/HM slave.

Anyways, extremely random question, am I the only one shipping the MC/Black with that girl you ride the Ferris Wheel with? >.> Seriously, I dunno why but the  "Just...just until we start to descend...Please...stay..." while she was crying combined with the music got me for some reason.

...I demand fanart of that pairing >.>

Most perfer the White/N pairing anyway, I've seen a [parasitic bomb]-ton of that everywhere, balance it out people! DX

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #1497 on: March 26, 2011, 06:47:22 PM
Call me weird, but I'm more of a BlackxBianca person, especially with all the scenes with her looking out for Black and Black intercepting the father all those times... >.>

Meanwhile, request time, this one is for the breeders though. Can anyone hook me up with a Growlithe that has Flare Blitz & Close Combat? I need one for my "Team Kanto"

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1498 on: March 26, 2011, 08:21:36 PM
Well, I do have a box full of Growlithe's with Flare Blitz in my HG, some with pretty good speed IVs too actually. No CC though. If you don't mind that part much tell me, I'm gonna be really busy these days though.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #1499 on: March 27, 2011, 12:51:09 AM
Well, I do have a box full of Growlithe's with Flare Blitz in my HG, some with pretty good speed IVs too actually. No CC though. If you don't mind that part much tell me, I'm gonna be really busy these days though.

Close Combat is the crux for this one idea I'm thinking up, especially since my asking for Flare Blitz is just laziness on my behalf in regards to leveling up Growlithe until it learns it naturally. XD

It's OK if you can't do that Tai. On a side note, what's everyone rolling with currently as their main team?  After playing around for a bit, I finally have one team that I'm extremely proud of (or at least more than OK with):

[spoiler=Team Azure]Eelektross - Female/Naughty Nature (ATK monster here, kinda slow but can tank and packs a massive punch)

Crunch
Wild Charge
Thunderbolt
Brick Break

Didn't get too creative here, just had enough for coverages using it's high attack stat. Thankfully, the ground weakness issue is solved somewhat through Levitate, and fighting type moves are the new Normal type moves for general coverage of ass in the games.

Lucario - Male/Bashful Nature (Thinking about making it a mixed attacker since it has some really impressive attack & special attack stats)

Psychic
Aura Sphere
Close Combat
Flash Cannon

Psychic is there to shut down other fighters trying to get a easy KO off him, I don't think there's any real benefit to having Flash Cannon on this one even if it gets some hefty attack power due to stab & Lucario's high special. And with my next Pokemon, I'm thinking that Dark Pulse won't be necessary either. Any suggestions?

Hydreigon Male/Modest

Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower
Focus Blast

Man, Focus Blast is the weakest link in terms of moves I have set up for this guy. I prefer using moves with high accuracy over power ever since a particularly upsetting match I had with Sakura a while back that involved a whiffed Leaf Storm followed by a Blizzard counter attack. XD

At the same time, delicious 245 Sp. ATK at Level 76 is just something that needs to be used to it's max potential. If only it could learn Aura Sphere...

Volcarona - Male/Docile

Bug Buzz
Quiver Dance
Heat Wave
Flamethrower

I definitely know that I want to replace that Heat Wave with something to give this guy more coverage, especially after seeing how much rock moves that don't even look like they should fully KO it complete desecrate it. Problem is, what do I switch it for? Everything else is gold and Quiver Dance is easily the most broken [parasitic bomb] ever. You know it's good when someone who avoided stat modifying moves like the plague in pursuit of high damage + side effect carrying offensive moves though Gen I - IV says that. XD

Serperior - Male/Impish

Coil
Leaf Storm
Leaf Blade
Giga Drain

The only member of my team that needs a pretty serious bit of rethinking. I liked the idea of running something with stealing health initially since Serp can take a hit and moves fast enough to get its way beforehand. Initially, I wanted to play with Leech Seed shenanigans, but I don't go deep with meta stuff like that, which then led to me playing around with Giga Drain in its stead. Leaf Storm is there because Leaf Storm is the answer to everything when you can blitz & tank. *Stresses the italicized heavily*

Leaf Blade takes advantage of Serp's unusually high attack stat well and gives me the option when I run into special defense walls like Jellicent and Coil is baby Quiver Dance. I still wish if Serp were part Dragon with wings. See Serpent Night Dragon from Yu-Gi-Oh for an idea. XD

I'm thinking about adding in an Aerial Ace somewhere there to give me some options against BEES, MY GOD the large amount of new & awesome bugs that I keep running into in matches. There must be something more I can do with this guy though, I really like him as a Pokemon and I never main a main team without my first pick starring a main role in it. Comments?

Jellicent (Thinking of giving it a nickname - either "Pringles" or "Curleh" XD)

Surf
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb

Probably the first tricky Pokemon I've latched on to because of its trickiness. Another special attack specialist, this guy gets in and walls for the team with it's equally high defense and special defenses while dealing out wide AoE attacks (hoping to switch Sludge Bomb with Sludge Wave) with the potential of either poisoning a Pokemon or two or blocking the use of a certain move thanks to Cursed Body effect.

(No I was not inspired by Shauntal in the raising of this one... Even if she is the best new E4 member... <.< >.>;)[/spoiler]

As much as me telling you all of this ruins the surprise of me busting this stuff out in matches, I love strategics and learning more about what works and doesn't in broad senses.