Why I don't like MML

NinjaDragon · 3716

Offline NinjaDragon

• Cyberelf
  • What the...?
    • View Profile
on: October 04, 2010, 03:44:57 AM
Well, a few people have personally messaged me asking me direct reasons why I dislike Mega Man Legends. Well, a few months ago I wrote a wall of text about why I don't think MML is a good 3D adaptation of a series, and I compare it to Ninja Gaiden (I had written it for a forum I used to go on back then, and still do :3). Now, I do realize it's a little unclear today, but keep in mind I wrote this a while ago -_-. I, however, still stand by these reasons and such.
Just, uh...don't take it TOO seriously ^_^;

Now, I know what you're thinking: This guy really loves his Ninja Gaiden, huh? Well, yeah, but I also love my Mega Man. Ever since I was a child, I would play NG and MM all the time, and have a blast. Now that I'm older and a new generation is upon us, I realize the 2D style of the games has to go, and the new 3D one is in. And while Ninja Gaiden has had a stellar jump to the 3D realm, I don't think Mega Man has. Honestly, there's all this hype about Mega Man Legends 3. That's cool, if that's your thing, I won't hold it against you. But, let's be serious here: Mega Man Legends is a very extremely poor attempt to make Mega Man 3D.
Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 are badly designed, boring ass games. For real. I've never been so bored in the expostion in a game since that piece of crap Mother 3. Mega Man Legends is about a completely HUMAN Mega Man who goes on treasure hunts or something. Now that's a fault in itself. Mega Man is a robot, not some inferior human who digs underground, searching for god knows what. The story brings nothing new to the table, and especially for a game called Mega Man, it's really got a story that does not fit with its characters or setting. It's kind of like Final Fantasy VII, only with ten times more of uninteresting characters. That's really my main gripe with the series. They try to give Mega Man some kind of overblown plot, but it really doesn't need it. I mean, what's wrong with "Wily tries to take over the world, Mega Man must stop him"? It doesn't help at all that they add all these stupid characters like Tron Bonne (which is a huge ripoff the 1982 Disney film, Tron, in which Jeff Bridges has to go through a game to save his and his friends' lives) and whatever the main villain's name is, I forget because he's a really uninspired antagonist that makes Wily look as evil as freaking Satan.
My other main gripe with the series is the really slow gameplay and horrid controls. The gameplay is basically Fallout 3 for two-year-olds, which already sounds like no fun at all. And the controls? Holy [parasitic bomb], dude. Mega Man moves like a tank, kinda like the Belmont family in the NES Castlevanias, mainly Castlevania 2, where the slow and clunky movement barely got you to places to trigger events that just made you teleport to another place faster (ie the Tornado Man that picks you up in the Graveyard). But I digress, and back to the main topic at hand. The controls make me want to hang myself. Does Mega HAVE to turn around and a snails pace with the shoulder buttons? Can't he turn around manually, but strafe if you hold a certain button? I don't know, this game is making my head hurt, and I can't think straight about all the many, many flaws in this series. Tell me, why does everyone want a sequel to these otherwise poor games?
Now what about my preference, Ninja Gaiden? Well, I can tell you that Tomonobu Itagaki is a genius when it comes to video games, and NG shows it. The new NG games are incredible feats of challenge, fast paced and fun combat, and most importantly, and incredible story about Ryu Hayabusa avenging everything of his that Doku destroyed. In fact, Ninja Gaiden is the most fun you could ever have with a 3D platformer/fighting game, and that's saying something, because I adore Capcom's Devil May Cry (why couldn't they do to Mega Man what they did to DMC? -_-). The controls in Ninja Gaiden are not as clunky as the horrible ones in MML, and are far better. Also, the atmosphere, setting, and characters are far more interesting that any piece of garbage Capcom spewed out in MML. Ryu can actually turn on a dime, all his attacks are fast and cool, unlike Mega Man's slow shots. Off of the controls, I really have to compliment the level design in NG as well. There's always enemies to fight, items to scavenge, jumps to try and make, and cool tricks you can pull off. In MML, the design is just kind of "go straight, shoot some stuff, take a left, take a right, shoot some stuff" rinse, wash, repeat. Also, there are hardly any platforming segments. Since when was MM not a platformer? The MML games just stray away from everything that makes a good game. Ninja Gaiden definitely wins this battle.
Now, to wrap this up, I know what you're thinking: "Oh, he's just biased." Well, it does seem so, but I have actually given fair time to all these games, both NG and MM's newer and older games.And let me clarify that I love Mega Man 1-10, and some of the X games, but really, Mega Man Legends does not produce the genius of those games. Ninja Gaiden really captures everything [tornado fang]ing cool about Tornado Man Mega Man 9 in 3D form. I really hope you didn't get bored reading this, and hopefully you don't get mad. I'm just trying to get my opinion out to the world. I mean, there's bound to be someone out there who shares this opinon.

Again, I wrote this months ago when I was like two, so it doesn't really flow well, but I think you get me :P

I'm a huge fan of Ninja Gaiden and Mega Man.

Offline Trip

• banned banned banned
  • Cyberelf
  • banned for life
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:45:43 AM
wow are you trolling dude

working on:

secret project with mexicansunflower

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:47:08 AM
I don't believe you're 18

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 04:00:29 AM
I'm sorry that I can't even do this professionally and offer contrasts to your opinion, but I just disagree strongly with every issue you've brought up here. Like, really.

And damn, was I idling in this thread so long that I posted this after the lock? XD

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 04:21:04 AM
The controls make me want to hang myself. Does Mega HAVE to turn around and a snails pace with the shoulder buttons? Can't he turn around manually, but strafe if you hold a certain button?

Did you try pressing a direction and the Circle button at the same time? You can do a 90- or 180-turn that way.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~