Beat Hazard Ultra gets rejected by Microsoft

ViperAcidZX · 3601

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
on: May 28, 2011, 05:21:15 PM
For those who don't know about this game, Beat Hazard is an indie-made twin-stick shooter by Cold Beam Games that's basically a twin-stick shooter at a rave party on crack and Red Bull. The game is powered through the various music you play on your hardware, and your music have it's own unique ebb and flow in the gameplay. The original game is out now on PC and Steam for $10 USD (Steam has iTunes support for an extra $1) and also Xbox 360 via Xbox Live Indie Games for 400 MS Points. Here's a sample of the gameplay...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygUDbIAPedE[/youtube]

The guys at Cold Beam Games are currently in development of Beat Hazard Ultra, which takes the original game to a whole new level with all the new features it's going to have.

Quote from: Cold Beam Games
Due out in Q2 2011, Beat Hazard Ultra will take Beat Hazard to the next level.
Features include:
- Online Play
- More Bosses  
- More Enemies
- More Power Ups
- More Game Modes
- And of course more music driven eye bleeding action
- Available on PSN, PC and Mac, Q2 2011

Beat Hazard Ultra will be out on Steam and PC June 27th, 2011, while Mac and PS3 owners will get their share of the raving madness later. Sadly, Microsoft is being an arch douche about the game and not publishing Beat Hazard Ultra for XBLA (and what's more messed up is that they have the original on their service, an indie game that is doing very well compared to the 95% of indie games that they offer and they reject this one). o//////o But all hope is not lost for Xbox 360 owners; if anyone signs at Cold Beam Games' petition here at Facebook, these guys will try to get another publisher to get the game out on XBLA. And now to show everyone here what's in store for Ultra.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n6HDC2A1ro[/youtube]
To Microsoft: if this game never this released on XBLA, I will hate you guys forever and punch you.

Okay, I'm done raving here...

Offline Superjustinbros

• It's me.
  • Resistance Member
  • Something
    • View Profile
    • Super Justin: The Blog
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 07:48:53 PM
Next-gen Robotron 2084?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 08:04:42 PM
I think I remember this game... I never played it though.

It looks like a big funky-ass trip

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:11:17 AM
It's never too late to try this game out guys. For the PC users, the demo of the original game is available either through here at their site OR if you have a Steam account, you can download the demo here. If you have an Xbox 360, you can find the demo and full game under the Indie section of the Game Marketplace (or here if you want to download it from your PC to your Xbox 360). From my experience with the demo versions, the Steam demo lets you play a limit of 10 songs on your computer (even songs on your external hard drives), and 10 songs ONLY. After that, you have to buy the full game to play more songs in the game. With the Xbox 360 version's demo, you can play any song from the default Bazard Hazard album for an unlimited number of times, however, you only play a small bit of the song you're playing and any progress you made will NOT be saved.

Well, I already *liked* the petition at Facebook just now...

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 06:17:49 AM
I suck really hard at this game on Steam, but I enjoyed it so that's cool. It's pretty fun if you're not dying. Unfortunately, I'm always dying orz
Don't have and don't plan on getting an Xbox, so this won't affect me at all, but hmm, let's see how this goes =O

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 04:28:04 AM
I suck really hard at this game on Steam, but I enjoyed it so that's cool. It's pretty fun if you're not dying. Unfortunately, I'm always dying orz
Don't have and don't plan on getting an Xbox, so this won't affect me at all, but hmm, let's see how this goes =O
You got a corded Xbox 360 controller? The Steam / PC version of Beat Hazard supports Xbox 360 controller compatibility and you can play it with the twin-sticks method instead of mouse and keyboard. And don't let games like Touhou stop you from playing the game on an easier setting. Not only the onslaught of constant madness, but the visual effects are easier on the eyes so it's easier to avoid attacks. In fact, the original game's visual effects is guilty of camouflaging some of the enemy bullets that come at you (almost like the doujin game Ether Vapor), but I think that's being fixed from what I'm seeing here with their recent showing of Beat Hazard Ultra.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4FLbk2GZ20&hd=1[/youtube]

And just throwing out there, if Kamina from Gurren Lagann can motivate his team to go into battle, I'm kinda sure his methods can work on getting more people to petition on having Beat Hazard Ultra on XBLA.
Either that or hurt the chances of that happening...

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 05:03:41 AM
i thought about trying beat hazard, but haven't had the money for it

these kind of things happen pretty frequently, i think that's most of the benefit to pc gaming. (what with the free updates and itunes support and whatnot)

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 06:31:27 AM
@Ultra: I dunno, the bullets look about as seizureful and hard to see as the original ='D

Nope, no Xbox360, so no controller \o/ Also I'm usually fine with keyboard controls on PC games Controlling with twin sticks probably is easier than keyboard and mouse but...I am still really really really bad at any and all kinds of bullet hell. I mostly stopped playing because 1) the file browser was too slow and 2) I could never pass my favourite songs orz

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 02:52:25 AM
Bumping this thread to inform everyone that Beat Hazard Ultra is officially out on Steam. What's more is there is a special limited time offer for Steam users to get the entire Beat Hazard package (the Beat Hazard base game, Beat Hazard Ultra and iTunes+m4a support DLC) for less than $12. Mac and PS3 owners, don't worry, your turn will come up later. Xbox 360 owners.. pray that this game gets a publisher for an XBLA release... :(
Honestly, Microsoft, [tornado fang] you guys.