Wal-Mart Enters The Video Game Resale Market with Vending Machines

Jericho · 3365

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
And since I'm kinda not up to detailing the hell out of this, here's a copypaste from GAF:

Just saw this at CAG, pictures at site:

http://neocrisis.com/content/view/3918/39/

Trade Used Games at Walmart

Does it sounds so strange? Not really when you think about it, this is Wal-Mart after all. Most people are unaware at the moment, but Wal-Mart is now accepting used games to trade for credit.

Just a few hours ago, I went to the one near my house and was quite surprised at what I saw. Apparently they had a installed a new vending machine less than a day ago which allows you to trade in your used PS2, PS3, X-Box, 360 and Wii games.

The machine looks extremely similiar to the Redbox DVD rental machines. When I went to use the machine, however, it still had more than a few bugs that need fixing. The first issue occurs right after you login. When logging in, you are asked to scan your games. However once you do so, there is a glitch that logs you out immidiately entering your information. After you log back in, the issue seems to repeats itself.

An additional issue is that it seems that the machine is unable to scan games. I took a few of my games to test it out. Final Fantasy 12, Godfather 2, Mirror's Edge, Ractchet and Clank, Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando and Burnout 3: Takedown. However one game, Mirror's Edge, did indeed get scanned but i got a pop-up message which stated that game was not in its database.

In the end, all the bugs and glitches prevented me from trading in any of my games and customer service was closed at the time so I was out on my own. But still, if there is one business out there to give Gamespot some competition, it's the giant Wal-Mart. We'll be writing further on the issue about why we think Wal-Mart has the power to steal Gamestop's limelight in the used game market.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Comments?

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Wal-mart is going to be the new GameStop.

I can feel it.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
The race to digital download consoles begins. XD

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
If it didn't paper trail you, this would be too easy to crack. Trade in a "game" (a fake box, empty or not) with the same barcode for scanning printed on it, and voila, credit for free.

But I'm almost positive you have to put in identifying information and/or a bank account number.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
wut?

^Pretty much this, just with a "lol" in front of it. >_>;

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Hmm..... this is interesting. The fact that I work at one wal-mart. I wonder if they are going to do it at the store i work at. They already have those dvd-rental machines there.
Although that I don't work in the games/electronic department, least i work there. But last I checked there wasn't anything like this. Have they just now started this, or are they working on it for worldwide wal-marts?

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
A... videogame vending machine?

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
A... videogame vending machine?

You should see the Best Buy vending machines at airports; that's some freaky [concrete shot], right there.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Hey, I won't be using it, but if it eats into Gamestops consumer base, I'm all for it. Competition is good for the consumer and someone needs to put their foot in Gamestops ass.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Hey, I won't be using it, but if it eats into Gamestops consumer base, I'm all for it. Competition is good for the consumer and someone needs to put their foot in Gamestops ass.

Are you forgetting EB Games? Well, I sorta think that EB Games is slowly losing it's touch.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
EB has been more or less absorbed by Gamestop here. I think its that way in alot of places, too.

Offline Rock Bomb

• Worst Example of a
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Wal-mart is going to be the new GameStop.

I can feel it.

I didn't like Gamestop anyway...

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile

But I like Gamestop...

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Yeah, but I like/liked EB Games also. It's probably eating up EB Games here into an online site for quite sometime.

And it's sometimes better if it is in a vendor, but they need to remove that return thingy, it can be annoying having to realize in the last minute to return it into the vendor before the cops get on your case.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Afro-Shroom

• King of the N00bs
  • Master's Unit
  • DWII's Lab Expirement Verifier
    • View Profile
EB has been more or less absorbed by Gamestop here. I think its that way in alot of places, too.

True, happened near my house like last year.   :(

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger!!~ "

"This hand of mine is burning red! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory! Erupting...Burning...FINGER!!!~"
-----
That one Nun...