Yet another Death note school scandal.

Flame · 6187

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
on: December 18, 2009, 08:14:24 AM

The  Oklahoma City Friday newspaper reports on Thursday that two students from Andrew Johnson Elementary School are to be disciplined for a notebook that is described as a "'Death Note,' which is in reference to a movie." The notebook has two pages with writing that referred to two other students: "Kill (student's name) by gun shotgunshell in her hand” and “(student's name) shot by a sniper.”

According to the newspaper, the writing had the names of two girls at the school who had recently angered the two students with the notebook. The students with the notebook allegedly admitted at least part of the writing. The principal contacted the police as mandated by school policy, but she intends to handle the disciplining of the students herself.

In the Death Note suspense manga, live-action films, and anime adaptation, a teenager finds a notebook with which he can put people to death by writing their names and the dictated manners of death.

There were at least four previous incidents in the United States where school officials linked "Death Notes" to students being disciplined. One high school senior in Richmond, Virginia was suspended in 2007 over a list of his classmates' names that the school principal linked to Death Note. A middle school student in Hartsville, South Carolina was "removed" from school over a "Death Note" notebook in March of 2008. In Gadsden, Alabama, two sixth-grade students were arrested in the following month for a notebook that allegedly listed their school staff and fellow students in a manner similar to the Death Note anime series. The Kopachuck Middle School in Gig Harbor, Washington expelled one student and disciplined three others in May of 2008 for writing 50 names in their own "Death Note" book. However, a Washington state librarians' group nominated the manga for a young adults' book award.

Death Note has been the subject of scrutiny by schools in other countries as well. School officials in the Chinese city of Shenyang banned the manga and replicas of the Death Note notebook in 2005, and the educational bureau in Taiwan's Pingtung County warned parents about the manga in 2007. On the other hand, the manga's Taiwanese publisher and a non-profit Taiwanese watchdog group supported the work for raising issues. Two messages left in a Belgian crime scene have been associated with Death Note, but police in that 2007 case have yet to identify a suspect or any further link to the manga. Within the past year, teachers found a "Death Note," specifying how students and staff members would die, in the bag of an eighth-grade boy in southwestern Sydney.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-17/2-oklahoma-students-to-be-disciplined-for-death-note

Folks need to get the [tornado fang] over it. Its just a bunch of damn pages with a black cover. its JUST merchandise, nothing more. Comparable to those Mega busters you can but at Toys-R-us. It don't do [parasitic bomb]. Let the little social rejects satisfy their anger by writing names down in a little black book that will only prove how much of a life they DONT have when they fill it up with people who made them "angry".

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 08:22:00 AM
Is there a story from ANN you won't mirror?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Wanda Bear

• The Wanderess of RPM
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Currently Nowhere.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 08:23:59 AM
Oooo! Now this is news. ^^ Humans are way too serious about this. lol Alas, I do get quite the surge observing these nilly's bounce around in their hotseats over a spilled spot of tea. [insert phsycho evil villian giggle]

Home sweet home

Offline Sky

• massive idiot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • for kids
    • View Profile
    • art blog
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:35:01 AM
this is a serious situation

[spoiler]lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes lol anime for pretentious assholes[/spoiler]

squemp

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 08:38:35 AM
They usually have interesting stories.
In this case, amusing.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 09:03:31 AM
anything detailing to [parasitic bomb] i care about.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 10:39:55 AM
Yeah, I am kinda left wondering how anyone at all could be interested in this.

I mean even if you were amused the first time it happened shouldn't you have gotten bored of it by now?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:42:35 AM
*writes in Death Note*

"Dear Journal,

Hi, it's me Protoman Blues...oh [parasitic bomb], this doesn't count, does it?"

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:06:50 PM
Yeah, I am kinda left wondering how anyone at all could be interested in this.

I mean even if you were amused the first time it happened shouldn't you have gotten bored of it by now?
I find it amusing how stupidly paranoid its handled. It just never gets old.

Aresian

Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 07:24:14 PM
*writes in Death Note*

"Dear Journal,

Hi, it's me Protoman Blues...oh [parasitic bomb], this doesn't count, does it?"

This sums up my thoughts.

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 10:07:55 PM
*sigh* Amusing as this story may be, how they're reacting to fake Death Notes is almost as retarded as how that one kid died because he buried himself in sand because he thought it would turn him into Gaara. Seriously, it falls under the category of "it's a cartoon, it's not real", yet (extremely Christian) parents go "THIS IS THE WORK OF THE DEVIL!!! REMOVE IT FROM YOUR LIBRARY SHELVES IMMEDIATELY!!!" instead of turning to their kid and saying "Honey, it's a cartoon, and people in cartoon land follow a different different God and are all going to Hell because of it."

Why do I get the distinct feeling that I've, once again, dug myself into a hole?

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 10:10:38 PM
Bender - Collision with 18-Wheeler being driven by the Incredible Hulk

8D

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 10:12:37 PM
Cuase, saphire, both of those were pretty christian.....

Offline Kit

• #1 wizard of disappearing
  • Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 01:43:01 AM
OH WOW THIS HAPPENED IN OKC

WHAAHAHAHAHAHA
christians

they dont think it be like it is but it do