Sega continues its partnership with PlatinumGames

HokutoNoBen · 4363

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
on: September 19, 2010, 02:58:28 AM
Quote from: PLAYtm
Apparently, Platinum Games will continue to work with Sega. Speaking at Tokyo Game Show, the studio's producer and executive director Atsushi Inaba said the "relationship between Sega and Platinum games does not end with Vanquish."

While no specifics were given, Platinum Games lead Hideki Kamiya has been rather vocal about a doing a sequel to Bayonetta. When fans inquired about Bayonetta 2, Kamiya coyly responded, "she'll be back if you believe so."

- http://play.tm/news/31888/sega-and-platinum-games-planning-additional-titles/

Once again, another demonstration of how, every blue moon, Sega DOES make the right choice. This almost entirely makes up for no VF5: FS PS360 port announcement! 8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:59:41 AM
You know, I still have to pick up that game! XD

Either way, Yay!

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 03:00:09 AM
Good news I think.

P* should get all the money they need.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 03:01:00 AM
Oh [tornado fang] yes. Doing good or badly, I've been a Sega fanboy since I was 4, and that sure as hell isn't about to change. Here's to years of more quality Sega games!

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:03:13 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAAY~! Can't wait for more of Bayonetta and Vanquish!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 10:17:23 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAAY~! Can't wait for more of Bayonetta and Vanquish!
"Aw, man! I love the fact that this company who makes original and innovative games is going to keep making games! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THEIR SEQUELS!" 8D

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 10:24:06 PM
Hopefully the plot doesn't get condradicted.. I'm STILL waiting for that Shining Force game Sega!

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:42:03 PM
"Aw, man! I love the fact that this company who makes original and innovative games is going to keep making games! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THEIR SEQUELS!" 8D

Kamiya has made it known that he has NO problem with making sequels. He's even professed recently that he wouldn't mind going back to Bayonetta, or even the likes of Viewtiful Joe, if given the chance.

Besides, we more than likely can expect a Bayo successor in the future. A game that sold, at last count, more than a million WW? That was probably the main instigator for Sega keeping P* around more than anything else. And I, for one, have no problem with that.

[spoiler]Though at this point, I'd much rather have a spin-off follow-up game starring Jeanne/Cutie J, if not possibly a Lumen Sage. 8D[/spoiler]

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 11:42:16 PM
I'd love Mad World 2. But the creator said it's a one-game-project.

Oh well it would be hard to top those announcers anyway.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 11:47:05 PM
Kamiya has made it known that he has NO problem with making sequels. He's even professed recently that he wouldn't mind going back to Bayonetta, or even the likes of Viewtiful Joe, if given the chance.

Besides, we more than likely can expect a Bayo successor in the future. A game that sold, at last count, more than a million WW? That was probably the main instigator for Sega keeping P* around more than anything else. And I, for one, have no problem with that.

[spoiler]Though at this point, I'd much rather have a spin-off follow-up game starring Jeanne/Cutie J, if not possibly a Lumen Sage. 8D[/spoiler]
Just pointing out the irony that Platinum has offered us fresh new experiences so far, and that's what made them great in the first place. =P Got nothing against sequels, I'm just much more interested in seeing what amazing thing they can pull out of their hat next.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 11:47:27 PM
Angel. Land. XD

I'd love to see him do something 2D again though, be it a psuedo Viewtiful Joe 3 or a new action sidescroller.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 11:51:52 PM
Didn't Kamiya say he'd like to make a MM or Starfox game if he had the chance?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 11:54:39 PM
StarFox. I'm actually really curious to see what he'd do with it though. (Ass long as it's fast.)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 12:01:30 AM
Angel. Land. XD

I'd love to see him do something 2D again though, be it a psuedo Viewtiful Joe 3 or a new action sidescroller.

Well, he said that he was currently working away on "something wonderful" on his twitter. So who knows? 8D

Any way, wouldn't mind more 2D love some sort, either. But my thing is, there's only one genre left that I really wish Kamiya and P* would tackle next. A Vs. Fighting game.

There were talks about an "Umbra Fighter" on his blogs last year. That just gets my thoughts racing about what kinds of things Kamiya could introduce to my fave genre, if he was allowed to cut loose and give the game style the shot in the arm it's needed for over a decade (or at least, since the likes of Bushido Blade came out). Whether that ends up being "Umbra Fighter" or a brand new IP, is all up to whatever Kamiya and crew could choose. But I just think magical things would no doubt happen if P* and AM2 (Virtua Fighter people) were allowed to actually work together on something.

Didn't Kamiya say he'd like to make a MM or Starfox game if he had the chance?

Well, as should be known by now, Kamiya says a lot of things. He'd love to go back to Viewtiful Joe, and even "whored out chicks" like DMC and Okami some day, too, for that matter. But the likelihood of all of that happening is, of course, very slim.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 12:04:54 AM
Well, as should be known by now, Kamiya says a lot of things. He'd love to go back to Viewtiful Joe, and even "whored out chicks" like DMC and Okami some day, too, for that matter. But the likelihood of all of that happening is, of course, very slim.

Well at least there's someone (with talent) would can take over if anyone ever needs a replacement.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 12:43:17 AM
Well, he said that he was currently working away on "something wonderful" on his twitter. So who knows? 8D

Any way, wouldn't mind more 2D love some sort, either. But my thing is, there's only one genre left that I really wish Kamiya and P* would tackle next. A Vs. Fighting game.

There were talks about an "Umbra Fighter" on his blogs last year. That just gets my thoughts racing about what kinds of things Kamiya could introduce to my fave genre, if he was allowed to cut loose and give the game style the shot in the arm it's needed for over a decade (or at least, since the likes of Bushido Blade came out). Whether that ends up being "Umbra Fighter" or a brand new IP, is all up to whatever Kamiya and crew could choose. But I just think magical things would no doubt happen if P* and AM2 (Virtua Fighter people) were allowed to actually work together on something.

What's more, imagine what would happen is Kamiya, after his successes, was finally given free reign of whatever he wanted of old Sega franchises.

Can you imagine stuff like Streets of Rage or old AM2 titles being re-legitimized as good games by Platinum, with free reign on whatever twists and turns he wants to give to the gameplay, title and presentation?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 12:46:29 AM
The Sonic fans will still complain.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 12:52:23 AM
NO! Sega needs to give Platinum Games there Virtual On license!

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 03:23:14 AM
What's more, imagine what would happen is Kamiya, after his successes, was finally given free reign of whatever he wanted of old Sega franchises.

Can you imagine stuff like Streets of Rage or old AM2 titles being re-legitimized as good games by Platinum, with free reign on whatever twists and turns he wants to give to the gameplay, title and presentation?

A Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage sequel would be heavenly to see. But the thing is, you may not really need Kamiya's touch to do that much. Hashimoto (game design director for the likes of DMC, RE4, God Hand as well as Bayonetta) could likely do such a thing by himself, if necessary.

The Sonic fans will still complain.

As I've said before: I have no doubt in my mind that P* could probably make the best damn Sonic game ever made, if they really wanted to. But I still say it's not worth their time and effort. Plenty of other games in Sega's back-log could use P*'s attention, like the aforementioned SoR, Shinobi, Fighting Vipers, Comix Zone, Dynamite Deka (aka "Die Hard Arcade"), Golden Axe (a certain other game bearing the moniker does NOT EXIST, in my eyes! 8D), Virtual ON, JSR and more. Any one of these games getting the P* treatment would likely result in an "And the Fandom Rejoiced" moment, because these are largely maligned franchises that Sega either can't or won't do anything with otherwise.

Sonic, on the other hand, is smack dab in the middle of a clusterfuck that's basically due to nothing more than what Sega has allowed themselves. So no, I want Inaba and his crew to stay the [tornado fang] away from all that. 8D

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 03:25:00 AM
Sonic's in a really pitiful state right now, eh?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 04:03:12 AM
Honestly, as much as I'd love for them to revive a classic Sega franchise, I do think it would be best for them to carve their own history, and bring forth their own ideas into the table.

They should bring back a classic Sega franchise, only if they truly want to, as fans themselves (as they proved to be with all the references in Bayonetta). But new games and new experiences from the creative minds and developers at Platinum Games would be truly everything I want from them.

So, yes. Sega's given them carte blanche so far. Let's hope it continues to stay that way.