Mega Man Unlimited

Yoku Man · 272534

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #575 on: July 20, 2013, 05:26:46 PM
Its like a strong whiskey. A bit off putting at first but after a few shots it gets a lot better.
This.

Seriously.  Once you learn the patterns, stages, and bosses, it becomes all the more enjoyable.  But getting there is genuinely a battle in itself at times.  For comparison, the first time I tried Glueman and Trinitroman's stages, I got curbstomped -- particularly in the case of the latter.  Just now, however, I zipped through them both back-to-back in under 10 minutes and only lost one life. (I let my health get a wee bit too low in Trinitro's stage.)

Edit: By the way.  I updated that one post, again.  Added a dedicated "Game Engine Stuff" section, now that I've had a chance to compare the Unlimited game engine to the Famicom games directly.  It would have gone slightly faster but unfortunately, the one emulator I use that runs at full speed does not allow out-of-focus input.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #576 on: July 21, 2013, 02:28:39 AM
How does a Nail Shield not make sense?  Is it not any more sense than a leaf shield, which probably would do little to no damage in real life? Unless I missed something important, seems like it makes as much sense as any other shield he's obtained from bosses throughout the series.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #577 on: July 21, 2013, 03:53:03 AM
How does a Nail Shield not make sense?  Is it not any more sense than a leaf shield, which probably would do little to no damage in real life? Unless I missed something important, seems like it makes as much sense as any other shield he's obtained from bosses throughout the series.
You're not missing anything. I mean honestly when you think about it NONE of the shield weapons make any sense at all! Let's see we have; leaves, skulls, stars. junk, jewels, BUBBLES and now nails. I can't speak for everyone else but I've always assumed that the fact they were made out of such silly things was to assert the fact that they are breakable and that the player shouldn't heavily rely on them in lieu of skill. That and it just makes life more fun knowing you have a circle of leaves protecting you! :D

More importantly as little sense that a shield of nails may make, it is still an incredibly useful weapon!

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #578 on: July 21, 2013, 04:20:58 PM
Seriously.  Once you learn the patterns, stages, and bosses, it becomes all the more enjoyable.  But getting there is genuinely a battle in itself at times.  For comparison, the first time I tried Glueman and Trinitroman's stages, I got curbstomped -- particularly in the case of the latter.  Just now, however, I zipped through them both back-to-back in under 10 minutes and only lost one life. (I let my health get a wee bit too low in Trinitro's stage.)

Hence, we didn't need an "Easy Mode", we needed proper checkpoints instead.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #579 on: July 21, 2013, 06:15:45 PM
The more i play this game the more i think rainbowman should have his name changed to prism man. Nothing about him or his level makes me think of rainbows.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #580 on: July 21, 2013, 06:29:20 PM
If I had my way, I'd rename Rainbowman "Prismman" and rename Trinitroman "Glycerinman". (It would be a double pun, since his original name was "Nitroman".)  That would of course make the weapons "Prism Laser" (or "Prism Beam", more preferably) and "Glycerin Blast", which I think works well enough.

Leaf Shield is made of rocket-propelled metallic leaves.  It makes enough sense to be somewhat plausible.  Nail Shield, on the other hand...  How does that work, exactly?  Magnets?

On the topic of the other shields... Skull Barrier is a hologram. Star Crash is also a hologram.  Junk Shield is actually a series of three electromagnetic spheres that pull whatever happens to be laying around into their hold. (Don't ask me how you can pull "junk" from an open, grassy field.)  As for Jewel Satellite and Water Shield, well...  I genuinely have no idea on those two.  I really, really don't.

Offline spd12

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #581 on: July 21, 2013, 07:45:46 PM
I'm of the thought that shields made of stupid/nonsensical things is very true to the source material. How they're suspended around Mega Man, who knows or cares, the point is, it's a shield of nails and it is pretty awesome by any standard of nails or shields.

I don't think weapons have to make real scientific/physical sense, they just have to be fun to use - and that's the question here. Are the weapons in this game fun to use? I think most of them work out pretty well.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #582 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:25 PM
I find the weapons more useful than in most of the main series.
But that might be more of a difficulty statement than a preference of use.

Offline Zynk

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #583 on: July 22, 2013, 01:45:38 PM
@Cherrykorock: Heys!  :D
I'm digging your pic there, where is the source? Does it have more -tans over there?  <3

*o*

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #584 on: July 22, 2013, 03:21:39 PM
Damn it guys, I wanted to like this game, but as it is now it's not really something I'd want to replay after beating... not to mention that the ending makes no sense. Mostly because of this:

I like most of the ideas though and the weapons are really useful. But the bad aspects are REALLY bad and drag the whole thing down.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #585 on: July 22, 2013, 03:56:12 PM
@Cherrykorock: Heys!  :D
I'm digging your pic there, where is the source? Does it have more -tans over there?  <3

*o*

Bringing up a completely different topic out of nowhere.
You know we have a PM system, right?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #586 on: July 23, 2013, 07:27:04 AM
but this game is still better then some of the original games.

What? Not even close.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Smoke

• Net Navi
  • Screw the Mega Arm, I have green hair!
    • View Profile
Reply #587 on: July 23, 2013, 12:23:25 PM
What? Not even close.
personal opinions < ever heard of it?
MMU is better than mm1, mm2, mm6 and mm8 imho

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #588 on: July 23, 2013, 08:49:56 PM
MMU is better than mm1, mm2, mm6 and mm8 imho

LOL

No.

I'd disagree on all of them, but wow, MM2? Not even remotely close. MM2 has a concise, tight game design. MMU is a complete mess. It's all over the place, in all the wrong ways. No consistency, little theming, no actual challenge instead relying on all cheap kills, etc etc etc.

So yeah. NOPE.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #589 on: July 23, 2013, 09:39:25 PM
So I was watching some of this gameplay in a Retsupurae stream.

Yeah, it didn't really look fun at all. Some of the powers looked interesting but the level design was just filled with spikes, that's not good level design.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #590 on: July 23, 2013, 10:09:12 PM
Man, I really want to play the whole game. Still no word from MegaPhilX on the memory/CPU problem?

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #591 on: July 23, 2013, 10:15:22 PM
I highly doubt he will address it.
To me it seems like he used excessive amounts of coding to make this game.
That or he didnt take the time to optimize it.
Either way it seems likely that he wouldnt edit his mostly stable engine now that its released.
Luckily I have a fairly powerful cpu so im not affected.

@ clefant: only fun if you enjoy copius amounts pf torment and trial\error.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #592 on: July 23, 2013, 10:23:15 PM
I highly doubt he will address it.
To me it seems like he used excessive amounts of coding to make this game.
That or he didnt take the time to optimize it.
Either way it seems likely that he wouldnt edit his mostly stable engine now that its released.
Luckily I have a fairly powerful cpu so im not affected.

@ clefant: only fun if you enjoy copius amounts pf torment and trial\error.

So.. Not fun. Okay.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #593 on: July 23, 2013, 10:25:57 PM
Hahaha no not really.
I mean it has that Ninja Gaiden type of pressure on you as you plaay.
After about 10 minutes of death i just basically crawled through each level expecting for something ro pop out and kill me.
XD

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #594 on: July 24, 2013, 05:27:55 AM
I can kind of understand why people are complaining. It is very unforgiving at times, and some of the hazard placements are there to mess with your head. Like in Tank Man's stage after the mini boss were you have to jump across a gap with a shield attacker patrolling between. You would instinctively try to jump to line up your shots to it's backside, but if you didn't see the moving conveyor belt on the ceiling you would get sling-shoted across the room with a mine waiting to catch you!

When things like this happen to me, I can't help but laugh. >U< My favorite is Trinitro Man instantly killing you if you shoot him in the wrong spot. XD (why did I think Tank Arsenal would be his weakness?!)

So yeah, I died during my play-through. I died a LOT, but it was fun coming back and trying it again until I got it. I would have been disappointed if I could beat a game that took 5 years to make in a day. (like maybeh MM9 or MM10? <( ó wò); ) I also like to go back through the levels and try to find better ways of getting around obstacles and getting through the stage faster. It's really fun for me if that sounds even a little believable. I guess I'm a masochist when it comes to megaman games. > w<; (too much zero series when I was younger)

If it's too hard for some of you, maybe you could try and draw out your playthrough? Like, try to beat one stage in one week and then do another the next week. Think of it like being a little kid again when you weren't that good at games and you wanted to brag to all your friends how you finally beat Magnet Man last week. ^^

Maybe?...I dunno o wo`; Just though it was worth mentioning my thoughts.

Also....took a while to finally get this to show up, but.....
[spoiler]
Shampoo now relevant to the thread! 8D
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:45:37 AM by Night »

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #595 on: July 24, 2013, 08:51:36 AM
You know, the more I see of the game, the more I'm warming up to it. A lot of the complaints I see just don't seem to matter all that much to me anymore. Like tight jumps for example. They're probably there, but you can skip most of them with Rush Jet or Comet Dash. Or weapon energy. I don't know who said you have barely enough to beat the bosses, but that's a lie. Yes it takes your entire bar of Nitro Blast to kill Nail Man, but he doesn't move anywhere so it's impossible to miss. And honestly after another look, the difficulty seems rather fair until Wily 2. Past then it is legit difficult.

I do still have some problems. Having Nail Man always give you Rush Jet is pretty lame. It would balance the game more if you got it after 4 bosses like in 10. As mentioned, Mega Man not being able to use his other buster in the escape is stupid. And honestly the whole Classic to X bridge I'm not a fan of. Not so much the concept itself but the execution. There's probably a better way to do it. The Wily Machine is pretty lame too.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #596 on: July 24, 2013, 02:51:34 PM

I mean it has that Ninja Gaiden type of pressure on you as you plaay.

Having marathoned the NES Ninja Gaiden games just last month, I disagree with this assessment. Unless you're playing the US Ninja Gaiden III, the series has a very decent difficulty curve. MMU on the other hand? It starts out ridiculous, stays ridiculous, and then amps it up. Stage length and checkpoint absence are at fault.

As mentioned, Mega Man not being able to use his other buster in the escape is stupid.

And "I" have already mentioned that there's more than enough precedence for this.

Super Adventure: Utilizing two charged buster shots drains a ton of energy and causes overheating. Use of the double rock buster may risk death.
Smash Bros.: Special Weapons that use the two busters require heat venting.
Day of Sigma: Removing X's left buster completely disarms him.
X2: Two charge shots cannot be fired simultaneously, instead they have to be fired in succession.
X5: Zero is unable to use his buster (X2 design) if he lost it in the intro stage. He will however whip out a different buster in the ending cutscene (X3 design).
Iwamoto: X and Zero only use their left arm's buster. Any damage received to this weapon is permanent. They cannot resort to their right arm after trashing the left.

The only discrepancy is Ariga's Mega Mix, where Rock switches arms after being dismembered. This scene however takes place before the advent of the charge shot.

Offline Smoke

• Net Navi
  • Screw the Mega Arm, I have green hair!
    • View Profile
Reply #597 on: July 24, 2013, 03:16:01 PM
MM2 has a concise, tight game design.
MM2's game design is one of the worst in the series. You can't beat the last boss if you are out of Bubble Lead, you have to die if you made just one single mistake in the Boobeam Trap fight, some weapons are useless and others are completely overpowered *cough* Metal Blade *cough*
Yeah pretty frickin cool game design.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #598 on: July 24, 2013, 07:25:57 PM
I'm okay with a few useless weapons, wall boss and alien Wily. Those are first playthrough problems only. Trial and error is part of the experience, and while I understand it's frustrating sometimes, at least you only need to learn something once. And the punishment is usually no big deal (3 minutes of backtracking at most?).

My problem with the MMU stages (that I've seen/played) is that you need to be extremely careful 100% of the time. You know? There are plenty of difficult stages in Mega Man games, but they usually have two or three tough parts and some breathing room in between. It's more of a pacing issue IMO, not difficulty. If you make a horror movie with a jump scare every couple minutes, those scares will have zero impact on the viewer. You need the build up, suspense, to make a powerful impression.

That's not to say the game isn't good, though... I have the same problem with Devil May Cry 3. I think there are way too many mandatory fights, which makes the game as a whole too tiring. But it's a brilliant game.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #599 on: July 24, 2013, 08:09:41 PM
@zan: true, but im not referring to direct difficulty.
More so how the player feels when they see an obstacle.
An example would be the lasers in Quickman, even if ypu know how to do it theres still the pressure that if you slip up you die.
Same in Ninja Gaiden, one misstep can lead to failure.
But almost enemy in that game dies in one hit so its pretty fair about that.
In Mmu the enemies seem a little too strong in most cases combined with instant death traps.
Even two of the fortress bosses.
What im trying to say is that the pressure feels more like Ninja Gaiden than Megaman.