Mega Man Unlimited

Yoku Man · 272626

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: May 07, 2010, 04:30:27 PM
Phil has finally posted 8 new screenshots of the Robot Master Boss Rooms on his deviant account.

http://megaphilx.deviantart.com/

Its been established I can't show you anything that hasn't already been shown elsewhere, so without further ado, here they are. These screenies like the earlier ones in the thread have been modified to actual screenshot size, whereas Phils deviant ones are usually larger.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: May 07, 2010, 05:41:27 PM
From the screenshots it really looks like TankMan's is one of the first tilesets done. Phil really ought to redo that one...

The story of this game follows after MegaMan 10. I

Why after R10? I would have figured a placement after R9, before R10 would fit this the most, as it was originally produced to be a Rockman10. By going beyond R10, you only write yourself into a potential problem with R11...

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: May 07, 2010, 10:08:51 PM
Why after R10? I would have figured a placement after R9, before R10 would fit this the most, as it was originally produced to be a Rockman10. By going beyond R10, you only write yourself into a potential problem with R11...

I would have to agree with Zan on this one. Why after MM10? MMU was indeed supposed to occur between MM9 and MM10, much like MM&B occuring between MM8 and MM9.

Though, when I asked Phil about that, he said something to the effect of "I guess it can happen anytime after MM7", so when it occurs isn't really clear...-_-

Offline DjKlzonez

• B-Class Hunter
  • Once a year
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: May 07, 2010, 11:06:35 PM
 I don't care, i can't play the game because i have an OLD Mac, so  i don't pay attention to fangames ;^;

Steam       Youtube

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: May 07, 2010, 11:32:41 PM

(Attempts to revive the thread from DjKlzonez the Official Thread Killer  >0< ) What do you guys think of the new screenies? I like the different layouts, reminiscent of boss rooms from the past, with different layouts depending on the Robot Master's behaviour. From what you can see from Jet Man too, it looks like it'll be interesting.

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: May 08, 2010, 01:02:34 AM
the very first screenshot on the far top left looks beautiful for scenerary...made me think of one of those really detailed background scenes from i think uhh ..  Genesis Sonic 3 - Carnival Night Zone. :)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: May 08, 2010, 02:16:08 AM
Get your slopes out of my NES Megaman.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

MexicanSunflower

Reply #132 on: May 08, 2010, 02:23:41 AM
There were slopes on Megaman 4 Minus Infinity Skull Man fight

Than again, that ROMhack used the MMC5 expansion chip :\

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: May 08, 2010, 02:50:03 AM

Changes nothing.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

MexicanSunflower

Reply #134 on: May 08, 2010, 02:51:03 AM

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: May 08, 2010, 03:52:16 AM
Get your slopes out of my NES Megaman.

Didn't Super Mario Bros. 3 and Kirby's Adventure use slopes?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #136 on: May 08, 2010, 04:01:17 AM
Yeah, they did. Look at 1-2 in SMB3; slopes right there.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: May 08, 2010, 04:04:19 AM

Than again, that ROMhack used the MMC5 expansion chip :\

I may be wrong, but I think I recall hearing that Phil was inspired by the Mega Man 4 MI Skull Man fight to put slopes into the engine. Glue Man seemed like the ideal boss to use them, considering he has wheels on his feet.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: May 08, 2010, 05:30:58 AM
Hacks aint nothing but HACKS. Bad pun, but, it applies. Talking about the good ol official titles.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: May 08, 2010, 02:10:02 PM
Official series entries are generally quite nice, but fangames (the good ones, mind) can allow fans to put in features and elements, that the series creators didn't even think about using yet (if ever).

But, if you prefer playing the official titles instead, then more power to you. Nobody is forcing you to play fangames, rather.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: May 08, 2010, 04:53:31 PM
Another feature we've incorporated into the engine/game is Mega Man 2's capability to have maze loops (Like Flash Man stage in Rock Man 2 - Grayzone, to name a few). Hacks proved that they were possible, but the official games never featured them, strangely enough. I wonder if they were aware that they could do them.

Here's an example of a maze loop if you guys are confused.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7jTLiyQrZY

We constantly are experimenting with things that were never featured in the Mega Man games, but of course keeping with what was possible on the NES and the Mega Man's games original engines. Hacks are a nice source for these as it shows via the rom that new things are possible on a NES Mega Man game. Mega Man games are constantly adding new things, mm5 added reverse gravity, mm6 multiple boss rooms, mm9 added the rotating platform in Tornado Man's stage and the gravity well that slowly floats you up in the wily stages.

They are always adding new gimmicks yet keeping with the limitations with what the NES Mega Man platform engine was capable of. Some hacks have shown that gravity can be easily tweaked in Mega Man games, so you can also have low and high gravity in different rooms, not just the usual low one you have in water and space. (Something we have in our engine now too.)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: May 08, 2010, 05:30:54 PM
Official series entries are generally quite nice, but fangames (the good ones, mind) can allow fans to put in features and elements, that the series creators didn't even think about using yet (if ever).

But, if you prefer playing the official titles instead, then more power to you. Nobody is forcing you to play fangames, rather.

There are some NES games that used slopes. It's not a matter of not thinking about it yet, its a matter of what is and isn't really Megaman's style. Megaman 7 came after Megaman X1-3 which all had slopes. Megaman 7 had NO slopes. Megaman & Bass came after Megaman 8, and had NO slopes. Powered up was a complete remake with all new levels, but slopes again were omitted, while many other features were added. Only one classic title had slopes for a reason.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: May 08, 2010, 05:51:42 PM
There are some NES games that used slopes. It's not a matter of not thinking about it yet, its a matter of what is and isn't really Megaman's style. Megaman 7 came after Megaman X1-3 which all had slopes. Megaman 7 had NO slopes. Megaman & Bass came after Megaman 8, and had NO slopes. Powered up was a complete remake with all new levels, but slopes again were omitted, while many other features were added. Only one classic title had slopes for a reason.

I see this turning into a long debate lol. Suffice to say it would be sad and funny, considering what Objection Man said, if we find slopes included in Mega Man 11 :) . I think we shouldn't let the omitted features sway our creativity. As I mentioned above; because they're not included in previous games, doesn't mean they're not possible. Just think rationally about what is possible for Mega Man games. Having say, a 3D enemy like in Mega Man X2 and X3 appear in a NES Mega Man game would probably be totally unrealsitic and impossible for the engine, for one.

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: May 08, 2010, 08:06:53 PM
Oh please, so what if they are slopes in this game, stop being so elitist, is Phil's game, if he wants them, let them, in fct i do agree that fit for Glue Man.

Here's My Facebook Account, Join the Megagirl R project http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002211482262

if you want to know my skype account, send me a PM

Offline lizardcommando

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Lizardcommando's Youtube Page
Reply #144 on: May 08, 2010, 08:29:02 PM
Another feature we've incorporated into the engine/game is Mega Man 2's capability to have maze loops (Like Flash Man stage in Rock Man 2 - Grayzone, to name a few).

Oh no... not maze loops :(

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #145 on: May 08, 2010, 09:11:45 PM
Slopes has nothing to do with a style, man. If anything is just a simple feature they decided to omit for whatever reason, they could have added them in any game without breaking the whole gaming experience. This discussion is really stupid...

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: May 08, 2010, 09:19:34 PM
We constantly are experimenting with things that were never featured in the Mega Man games, but of course keeping with what was possible on the NES and the Mega Man's games original engines. Hacks are a nice source for these as it shows via the rom that new things are possible on a NES Mega Man game. Mega Man games are constantly adding new things, mm5 added reverse gravity, mm6 multiple boss rooms, mm9 added the rotating platform in Tornado Man's stage and the gravity well that slowly floats you up in the wily stages.

They are always adding new gimmicks yet keeping with the limitations with what the NES Mega Man platform engine was capable of. Some hacks have shown that gravity can be easily tweaked in Mega Man games, so you can also have low and high gravity in different rooms, not just the usual low one you have in water and space. (Something we have in our engine now too.)

I have a pretty good idea of where maze loops will come into play...8D

That said, all those gimmicks that can be done, while staying within the technical limitations of NES Mega Man games, are interesting enough.

Speaking of MM5, that game was the only one that allowed backtracking in a few spots (oddly enough). One must remember that the Capcom turnover's main purpose, was to allow the player to go left, while keeping the positioning of the screen in the middle (if I'm not mistaken, anyway. My memory can be hazy, rather. X().

Does this mean that having stages scroll in the left (ala Time Man's stage in MMPU and Wily stage 2 in MM9) could be possible in a MM NES game?

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: May 08, 2010, 09:48:47 PM
of course scrolling left is possible.
i implemented it into my hack easily no problem, and mm3 never originally had that at all. was pretty simple to code support for left-scroll. :) and multi paths and so on. i got slopes in my game too. (used in boltman)

hope im not bragging

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: May 08, 2010, 10:08:58 PM
Luckily I recall that NMario has easily programmed the engine to let left transitions work or not, depending on what the programmer wants for the level design. Easy as pushing a button, to select a two-way transition or a one way transition on the level design screen of MMF2.

Like always, going left or right, the camera orientation always stops when you reach the end of a room, allowing the player to continue to go left or right while camera stays in the middle. That has always been the case with Mega Man games, and one of the reasons for the Turnaround. It can work for dropping down from the top left of the screen, heading right and then dropping down and scrolling left to the next room.

Here's an early video where NMario first experimented with left scrolling transitions and the loop maze I mentioned earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh900Sd9_64

And here's the feature where the programmer can alter the gravity to their heart's content. You could even make it so Mega Man can barely jump if you so chose. Thats whats gonna be the cool thing to look forward to in future fangames, to see what you guys come up with, with the capability of this engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0o7A4G9RM

Archer

Reply #149 on: May 08, 2010, 10:11:13 PM
I don't care, i can't play the game because i have an OLD Mac, so  i don't pay attention to fangames ;^;

then stop posting in fan games threads