GoldenEye 007 - The first (only?) FPS game I've ever played

OKeijiDragon · 5476

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
GoldenEye 007 for the Nintendo 64, based on the 1995 James Bond film of the same name, is what I would call the first-person shooter console game that I've ever gave a crap about in my life. It was also the first FPS game I've played. To be honest, I've never played another FPS game after GoldenEye (except perhaps playing a little of Perfect Dark for N64, the spiritual sequel to GoldenEye, but I'll get to that later). Mostly because I don't have the console for the FPS game that I'm interested in playing (speaking about Halo and Half-Life, iirc both for the Xbox brand, I hear those are awesome), and/or that the video game market is so flooded with the "me-too" FPS games that I'd stop caring about them entirely (Not quite sure if that last part made sense).

But, at least to me, there's something about GoldenEye that stands out from many games. For some reason, at least for me, it actually made sense to put Bond into a first-person perspective of the player, run around blowing and shooting [parasitic bomb] up and causing complete chaos and utter mayhem while completing your assigned objectives mostly based on sequences from the film. I had a blast in some of the levels, especially the ones where you have to save Natalya several times from the enemies.

My favorite level of all is the Train level, where you inside one and you get to shoot the living [tornado fang] out of the soldiers while hiding behind the wooden crates and -- I swear I was/am intrigued at how much destruction you can cause in this particular level with explosive weapon cheats on -- raising hell from start to finish. At the end of level, you encounter Natalya taken hostage by Alec Trevelyan's henchman, and you are confronted with a deadly, yet easy decision: Stop for the mission, or Natalya dies. Some of you would probably just do both them and you a favor and shoot the [sonic slicer] for all the stupid mission failures that resulted from her deaths of stupidity (and sometimes hilarity) just cause she got in you gun's way or for running into an explosion or crossfire. But in order to advance, you had to save her, and that was mandatory. So you shoot the henceman (Ourumov), and if you're good enough, shoot both that [sonic slicer] in the black clothing (Xenia) and that stiff-ass Brit (Alec) for their faggotry against the British government. Once you free Natalya, the doors suddenly become sealed, trapping you inside the room and now that [dark hold] has placed a bomb inside the train which will be set off in one minute (Three/six minutes in the film). At this point, I've felt a sense of pressure and anxiety, and my only hope to escape was though a square hole in the floor. With your handy laser watch, you cut though the hole and escape with Natalya, and watch the train go boom.

Speaking of going boom, I think this game made me a BIG fan of explosions in media. I swear, with a Grenade Launcher, I'm a [tornado fang]ing terrorist (as in, I love blowing [parasitic bomb] up). >0< But of course, don't take me the wrong way, I'm not psycho or anything. I just love dealing damage to enemies in games with flash and booms, and with GoldenEye, you can place explosives underneath unsuspecting (indifferent? o-O) soldiers and watch 'em go. This piece sums up my lust toward destruction in the game.

Going back to what GoldenEye might have that many games even today don't. I think it's its style. One example of this is the death animation. When you get yo' ass capped enough and die, you see this "spilling blood" animation that covers the screen from the top, and a Bond-like theme plays during that animation. I really thought, "if Bond has to go, he shows it in style". Another is some of the character animation, whenever you coming out of a hole or a corridor, you sometimes see enemies jump out and twist their torso and point and aim their gun at you with there other arm moved out. This may be "meh" today, but back then it was both cool and amazing, especially when you consider how realistic the animation was at the time.

EDIT: And last but not least, the music. OH GOD THE MUSIC. Timeless. Beautiful. The soundtrack is something I could actually dance to. My absolute favorite is the Surface theme (first visit). I swear that theme... that theme has this ambiance that makes it so sexy and epic. :V I'm actually considering mashing that beat with something, but I've got nothing yet. This soundtrack is god on the N64. It beat Zelda:Oot, yes you heard me right.  :fappery:  

All in all, this isn't/wasn't some licensed piece of crap you find at bargain-bins at a goddamn North American Wal-Mart for $10 a pop. This is, and I'm sure many will agree, actually one of the best, or THE best, console FPS video game of the 1990's, and one that helped popularize the first-person shooter genre on the consoles. Truly one of the most remarkable games on the N64 and possibly the best licensed title of the fifth generation of video games, this is a game I enjoyed dearly back in the day.

And after years of not officially owning an N64 until just recently, I've decided to take the time to create my seventh PEMNAS series around this game, which has brought me nostalgic joy and great memories. Hope you enjoy. =) Also, PEMNAS = PLEASE EXCUSE MY NOOB ASS SKILLS. I invented the term myself.

Here's the playlist to see the series in 19 parts (23 videos):
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=410EDC341774011F

Or just pick one:
(Part 1) Opening Intro + First Stage: Mission 1: Dam
(Part 2) Second Stage: Mission 1: Facility
(Part 3) Third Stage: Mission 1: Runway
(Part 4) Forth Stage: Mission 2: Surface Act 1
(Part 5) Fifth Stage: Mission 2: Bunker
(Part 6) Sixth Stage: Mission 3: Silo
(Part 7) Seventh Stage: Mission 4: Frigate
(Part 8 ) Eighth Stage: Mission 5: Surface Act 2
(Part 9.0) Ninth Stage 1st Half: Mission 5: Bunker Act 2
(Part 9.5) Ninth Stage 2nd Half: Mission 5: Bunker Act 2
(Part 10) Tenth Stage: Mission 6: Statue Park
(Part 11) Eleventh Stage: Mission 6: Military Archives
(Part 12) Twelfth Stage: Mission 6: Streets of St. Petersburg
(Part 13) Thirteenth Stage: Mission 6: Depot
(Part 14) Fourteenth Stage: Mission 6: Train
(Part 15.0) - Vs. Xenia - Fifteenth Stage: Mission 7: Jungle
(Part 15.5) Sneaking In - Fifteenth Stage: Mission 7: Jungle
(Part 16.0) Clearing Out - Sixteenth Stage: Mission 7: Control
(Part 16.5) Hacking the GoldenEye - Sixteenth Stage: Mission 7: Control
(Part 17.0) 1st Half - Seventeenth Stage: Mission 7: Caverns
(Part 17.5) 2nd Half - Seventeenth Stage: Mission 7: Caverns
(Part 18) Vs. Alec - Eighteenth Stage: Mission 7: Cradle
(Part 19 / THE END?) Ending + Credits - Making Out: 64-Bit Style

So would you all agree that GoldenEye is awesome and that it influenced video games in more ways then one? Note that you are not limited to this question.

DISCUSS.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 05:24:15 AM
Goldeneye sucks. The only reason it got popular was because it had pretty much zero competition at the time.

You should play some games which aren't [parasitic bomb], bro.

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:24:32 AM
Goldeneye sucks. The only reason it got popular was because it had pretty much zero competition at the time.
Not true. There were four other N64 FPS games games around the same time as GoldenEye and those were Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Doom 64, and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, and Quake.

Also, you calling GoldenEye [parasitic bomb]? The -[tornado fang]- are you smoking?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:48:36 AM
Goldeneye is far better than the FPSes we get today. I feel the only FPS that can compete with it is Perfect Dark, and that's only cause they're so similar. Oh how I miss those simpler times with simpler games.

So quit hating.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:59:11 AM
I liked Perfect Dark more, mainly because of the weapons.  Dying in Goldeneye was a lot more fun though.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:01:10 AM
Goldeneye is far better than the FPSes we get today. I feel the only FPS that can compete with it is Perfect Dark, and that's only cause they're so similar. Oh how I miss those simpler times with simpler games.

So quit hating.

And when was the last time you played Goldeneye?

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 10:17:22 AM
Goldeneye was pretty fun when it first came out.  It also helped start the whole console shooter trend, which I guess might be a good thing, although the amount of them this gen is getting pretty ridiculous. 

Anyway, I'm not going to bother comparing Goldeneye to modern shooters, because I'm not an ass.  I can name a lot of PC shooters that were better at the time, but being able to get 4 people on an N64 was always a blast.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 02:11:34 PM
I'm not very good at FPS games, so the first time I played GoldenEye from start to finish was actually a couple of months ago. I thought it was great, if mostly surpassed by other games of this kind. The framerate sucked, which is my only big complaint, and some levels are samey and mazey and boring to explore, which is my... other only big complaint.

But Perfect Dark, holy Jesus on a pogo stick. Phew. I finished it for the first time this year, right after GoldenEye, and was seriously blown away by it. The gadgets, the visuals, the music, the Hoverbike, it was like being Batman in first person.

I can't understand why shooters don't borrow the beautiful mission design from GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, with additional objectives per level as you progress through harder modes (the idea of several missions in one level actually came from Super Mario 64 according to the director of GoldenEye). It's ages ahead of just making everything faster and harder to aim.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 05:31:47 PM
And when was the last time you played Goldeneye?

I don't think that matters, nor should it change my opinion. I'm not an FPS fan, but Goldeneye and PD were ones I enjoyed. The Metroid Primes as well, but they're "FPA"s, apparently.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 03:13:17 AM
Oh, I dunno. I liked a lot of things that honestly sucked pretty hard when I was a kid. Maybe you did too and that's why you think it was good.

But maybe not, maybe not.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 03:26:33 AM
I generally do not like FPSes.  But I love Goldeneye for two reasons:

-Twin Rocket Launchers
-Infinite Ammo

That's pretty much it (to hell with stealth).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 04:34:15 AM
-Twin Rocket Launchers
-Infinite Ammo
That's what I'm talking about.  ^_^

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 06:40:05 AM
Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are among my favourite console FPSes. Otherwise, give me a PC for them.

Offline Elpis TK31

• I WANT IT NAO
  • Robot Master
  • BOOBLIGHTS OR GTFO
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 01:40:10 AM
I'm not an FPS fan, but Goldeneye and PD were ones I enjoyed. The Metroid Primes as well, but they're "FPA"s, apparently.

Same here, I don't know why, but these titles just have something that seperates them from the regular bullcrap shooters we get forcefed these days, not that I'm a big FPS man, but I do play matches with friends.
The areas, the weapons (hello RCP90, Laptop Gun, Avenger) the cutscenes...when I look at stuff like CoDMW2 or Halo, the only thing that goes through my mind is "REALLY? that's it? this is what does it for people?".

And that's where Metroid Prime rears it's head, with awesome stage design (barring corruption), music and gameplay setting it so high above other shooting games. I have an orgasm everytime I hear the credits music from Prime1.
It's like Super Metroid but in 3D.

When I listen to the music in nowadays shooters, I am just shocked, what [tornado fang]ing crap is that!?
There is nothing, at least not for me, that is memorable about these new shooters, where I can sing like 20 different songs from 007/PD from the top of my head. so what if the graphics are less, at least N64 shooters had personality!

I AM TUROK :P sorry I just remembered how much fun I had shouting that, I played a little too much Turok2 back in the day (with cheats, because I sucked XD)

RMZX E/53'39 N/57'27 H/1:02'01
When life is boring, knife some cows in RE4, it's hilarious!