The PC games

Skaarg · 15806

Offline Skaarg

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
on: September 15, 2009, 10:46:54 PM
As a couple of you might know I'm trying to collect all of the US released Mega Man games, and well I am actually almost done with consoles and handhelds. I have 5 console games left and 3 handheld games left (going by what has been released so far). Well soon I'll be at the point where I'll really have to work on the PC versions of games. Well unfortunately all I have is a complete copy of X5 so far.

After searching around on the internet I've compiled a list of US released games, but I wanted to make sure it's accurate, and hopefully some of you can help?

Mega Man - 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppy
Mega Man 3 - 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppy and CD-ROM bundled with Street Fighter 2
Mega Man X - CD-ROM (game alone, and a version bundled with a controller)
Mega Man X3 - CD-ROM
Mega Man X4 - CD-ROM
Mega Man X5 - CD-ROM
Mega Man X three pack - CD-ROM comes with X3-X5
Mega Man X8 - CD-ROM or DVD? I haven't found the answer for this yet.
Mega Man Legends - CD-ROM

Some sites also say Legends 2 was released, but from my reading it looks like it was set to be released and even got a SKU which can be found by looking online, but was never actually released. Whenever I've sent Capcom an email asking about this I've gotten nothing in return.  :|

>Mega Man Zero 4
>Ragnarok Core
>120 Seconds
FINAL DESTINATION

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 12:39:44 AM
X8 was on PC in Japan only because it was released here first, last I checked.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 05:15:01 PM
X8 for the PC was on two CDs. You needed to keep the second disc in the CD drive to play the game.
America got it first on PS2 in December 2004, then it came out in Japan on PC and PS2 in March 2005.
Europe got it a month before Japan. o.o

Capcom USA did put up some kind of 1-hour test demo of X5 and one of the Legends games that let you play for that much time, then it would lock up and you had to pay for the games to continue. The Japanese version of DASH 2/Legends 2 exists though. ^^

I've seen a couple of rapidshares and torrents hosting the English PC version of Legends 2, they could have either been the real thing or someone transferred the English translation from the PS1 version over to the PC version.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Skaarg

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:13:27 AM
Okay, thanks for the clarification on X8. Yeah I very well know of the DASH 2 for PC, but everytime I've seen an English torrent it's ended up either being the PS1 version or it had no seeders to find out what it is.

I know there was also a demo released for X1 which if I recall was just the first level. Kind of interesting the X5 and legends demos were 1 hour timed, was it 1 hour unlimited distance in the game?

>Mega Man Zero 4
>Ragnarok Core
>120 Seconds
FINAL DESTINATION

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 02:37:11 AM
Yea, you could go anywhere you want in 1 hour. ^^ </wii>

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 02:57:41 AM
You could finish X5 in that amount of time...

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 02:00:20 AM
Could the time limit be removed via any means?

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 09:41:30 AM
Um I think so. o.o The demos were running a loader with some buttons on them, like 'visit website' or 'start game'.
If someone would get rid of that loader and do some changes to the game itself, maybe it could be removed. ^^

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 06:43:07 AM
So when you say one of the Legends games, you're not sure whether it's Misadventures or Legends 1?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 06:45:10 AM
Its Legends 1 (Have it on my Computer). Misadventures, I believe, wasn't released on anything except the PSX...

Offline Rockmaniac

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 12:23:54 AM
As a couple of you might know I'm trying to collect all of the US released Mega Man games, and well I am actually almost done with consoles and handhelds. I have 5 console games left and 3 handheld games left (going by what has been released so far). Well soon I'll be at the point where I'll really have to work on the PC versions of games. Well unfortunately all I have is a complete copy of X5 so far.

After searching around on the internet I've compiled a list of US released games, but I wanted to make sure it's accurate, and hopefully some of you can help?

Mega Man X3 - CD-ROM
Mega Man X4 - CD-ROM
Mega Man X5 - CD-ROM

Some sites also say Legends 2 was released, but from my reading it looks like it was set to be released and even got a SKU which can be found by looking online, but was never actually released. Whenever I've sent Capcom an email asking about this I've gotten nothing in return.  :|

THIS is MY time to Shine...

Details:

Two different box opening designs - one take lid off box-style, and the other flip-lid NES box style

Mega Man - both 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppy
Mega Man - 3 1/2 floppy
Mega Man - 5 1/4 floppy

so 6 versions in total

Exactly the same details on

Mega Man 3 - with the addition that it was also re-released on CD in a see-thru papersleeve

so total 7 versions.

Also both these games were added to the aforementioned Street Fighter compilation Box...

As for the X Series:

X1 - was only released WITHOUT controller in the US - the version w controller is a European Import - CD-Rom in Big Box
X3 as well as X4, - US Version has exclusive design on the Big Box, reaally nice design at that. Whilst the European one comes in a smaller box w the same design  as the PS1 / Saturn versions... all 4 are CD-Roms
X5 - ONLY released in the US, Small box close to SNES box size. CD-Rom.

Neither X2, X6, X7, were released on PC in US / Europe. X8 was released in Europe only in a DVD-box - never actually opened mine, but reads DVD as far as I can see, my apologies to Vixy if I'm wrong about this one...

The X3,X4,X5 box was only released in Korea.

Mega Man Legends was ONLY released in the US - big box CD-Rom.

Legends 2 never showed outside Asia, even as download.

There are quite a few more games in the Asian Market tho...my definete favourite Market. Esp. Taiwan.

Need any more details - feel free to ask...

And Shadowman might know a bit as well...

/pete.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 12:26:09 AM
There was a 2-CD release of X8, specially in the Japan/Asia area.
Capcom must have changed it for the Europe release into one DVD. ^^

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Skaarg

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 03:38:12 AM
Thank you very much for the detailed response Rockmaniac. The first two PC games are really going to make it hard to get a complete collection now lol. Just when I feel like I get a step closer to my goal I fall two steps back.

I did a bit more research into X8 because I could have swore that it was released in the US, and it turns out it was, but only as a download through Game Stop.

So for the paper-sleeve version of X3 there was there no stand alone copy of that where it got it's own box? It was only bundled in the sleeve with Street Fighter?

>Mega Man Zero 4
>Ragnarok Core
>120 Seconds
FINAL DESTINATION

Offline shadowman

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 02:05:43 PM
Rockmaniac has summed everything up perfectly, nothing I can really add to it. I also didn't realise about the box differences on the 2 original PC games.

Rarity wise Megaman 1 and 3 pop up quite often on eBay so they shouldn't be to hard to find, the other games from my experience are much harder to track down (I still don't have MM Legends boxed).

The Japanese releases all seemed to get at least 2-3 variants for each game (most of these are CD case or DVD case bargain re-releases).

Regarding X8, I've opened my Euro PC version and it does indeed come on 1 DVD where as the Japanese versions I have all come on 2 CD's.

Like Rockmaniac said, the Asian releases are also in my opinion some of the most interesting to collect. Some of the box designs and exclusive games are really interesting.

Offline Rockmaniac

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 09:29:30 AM
Thank you very much for the detailed response Rockmaniac. The first two PC games are really going to make it hard to get a complete collection now lol. Just when I feel like I get a step closer to my goal I fall two steps back.

I did a bit more research into X8 because I could have swore that it was released in the US, and it turns out it was, but only as a download through Game Stop.

So for the paper-sleeve version of X3 there was there no stand alone copy of that where it got it's own box? It was only bundled in the sleeve with Street Fighter?

Well the 1 & 3 games are hard to complete due to the fact that no sellers ever state how to open the box *lol*

As for X8 as a dl in the US - i can't say for sure...I meant only in Stores. But could very well be out there was download, X3-X5 are still...

Papersleeve version of X3, there's no such thing. There is however of Mega Man 3 - and I think this can still be bought online - If you want I'll be happy to link you.. Mega Man X3 came Boxed - as I said earlier - 2 diff versions - US HUUUGE Box, diff design, and Euro Big Box Same design as PSX / Saturn game...

And again the Street Fighter Box - has both MM1 and MM 3 - but def NOT X3 ;) - hope I cleared it up for you! ;) Any more questions keep asking :) - good luck in completing your collection - I'm trying for the same ;)

/Pete

Offline Skaarg

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 03:11:28 PM
Well the 1 & 3 games are hard to complete due to the fact that no sellers ever state how to open the box *lol*

As for X8 as a dl in the US - i can't say for sure...I meant only in Stores. But could very well be out there was download, X3-X5 are still...

Papersleeve version of X3, there's no such thing. There is however of Mega Man 3 - and I think this can still be bought online - If you want I'll be happy to link you.. Mega Man X3 came Boxed - as I said earlier - 2 diff versions - US HUUUGE Box, diff design, and Euro Big Box Same design as PSX / Saturn game...

And again the Street Fighter Box - has both MM1 and MM 3 - but def NOT X3 ;) - hope I cleared it up for you! ;) Any more questions keep asking :) - good luck in completing your collection - I'm trying for the same ;)

/Pete
Sorry I wasn't meaning to count X8 in my list of games. When I was saying I thought it got a release I thought it got a in store release. Since it's only a download I don't care about getting it really anymore.

Sorry again about the X3, 3 mix-up I meant 3. Didn't mean to make things wrong and confusing. =P

>Mega Man Zero 4
>Ragnarok Core
>120 Seconds
FINAL DESTINATION

Offline Brahman

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:25 PM

Mega Man X3 - CD-ROM
Mega Man X4 - CD-ROM
Mega Man X5 - CD-ROM

Well, as has been pointed out, you'd definitely want to add MEGA MAN LEGENDS to this list as it was released for the PC in 2002.

I'm not sure if you have checked out Dr. Cossack's Mega Man PC website, but he has compiled a good list of all "official" titles that were released for the PC in and outside of Asia:

http://www.interordi.com/mega_man_pc/games/pc/#stores

You may also find it interesting that you can still purchase MEGA MAN III (PC) from CD Access in CD-ROM format with a plastic sleeve cover:

http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/megaman3pj.htm

Of course, if we wanted to talk about all Asian PC games (official and not), the list would get quite large.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 07:50:08 AM
http://www.interordi.com/mega_man_pc/games/pc/#stores
Hahaha, that guy says Rockman Strategy wasn't licensed. What a retard.

Offline Brahman

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 04:48:58 PM
Hahaha, that guy says Rockman Strategy wasn't licensed. What a retard.

Wow, I didn't even notice that.  Yeah, "Rockman Strategy" was licensed to Dream Come True, just as "Rockman Gold Empire" was licensed to Stawberry Soft.  Just because someone doesn't like a game or haven't played it to verify its authenticity shouldn't make them so stubborn that they don't want to recognize the licensing.  I mean, heck, I don't particularly like the two DOS games made by Hi-Tech and Rozner Labs, but that doesn't mean they aren't Rockman games.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 05:10:17 PM
I don't particularly like the two DOS games made by Hi-Tech and Rozner Labs, but that doesn't mean they aren't Rockman games.

But they're not "Rockman" games. They're "MegaMan" games.

And there's a distinct difference between being licensed by one branch of Capcom and being licensed by another.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 07:33:48 PM
Not really. They belong to the same series regardless. If it weren't for a copyright they'd be called Rockman games too.

Offline Brahman

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 12:40:39 AM
But they're not "Rockman" games. They're "MegaMan" games.

And there's a distinct difference between being licensed by one branch of Capcom and being licensed by another.

So what difference is there between Rockman and Mega Man, besides nomenclature?  But, if this game was licensed by the U.S. branch of Capcom, would that then make it entirely non-canon (it had no real green-light from Japan, I'm assuming)? :\

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 12:45:15 AM
Yea they are non-canon. I'm sure CoJ got their hands on the games too and looked the other way. (with a laugh in-between) ^^;

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Brahman

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 12:54:40 AM
Yea they are non-canon. I'm sure CoJ got their hands on the games too and looked the other way. (with a laugh in-between) ^^;

I see then.  Well, my goal in my remake project is to make them more canonical and tie in their stories with the other games in the series and make it more NES-like.

Also, Rockman Strategy, Rockman Gold Empire, and some others are licensed titles, but I'm guessing also non-canon?  Still, I've always felt that something is at least semi-canon unless it somehow directly opposes already established canon material.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 01:21:11 AM
Strategy is barely even considerable as a completed game from I've seen. Fan doesn't even have lines...