GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208931

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #775 on: November 13, 2010, 06:01:55 AM
QUESADAAA!! [/colbert]

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #776 on: November 13, 2010, 06:31:03 AM
I will laugh so hard if Quesada's successor undoes OMD/OMIT and rubs his nose in it.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #777 on: November 13, 2010, 06:36:22 AM
Im pretty sure that is what EVERYBODY who has EVER read a Spiderman comic wants.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #778 on: November 13, 2010, 06:51:47 AM
Quesada's a jerk. The fact that he's constantly pushing it in the reader's faces just makes it worse than it already was.

Which is its own universe now in the DCU Multiverse.
Oh I know, but I'm just seeing some similarities in how Bruce turned out in KC and the way he's progressing here. Not saying that he will turn out the same, but yeah.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #779 on: November 13, 2010, 03:16:06 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrBwKMxhtXQ[/youtube]

Sweeeeeet!  8B

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #780 on: November 13, 2010, 11:18:47 PM
I wonder....Nah, hero movies are pretty decent these days so I think it will be allright

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #781 on: November 14, 2010, 07:58:36 AM
So I finally got around to reading The Walking Dead. Quite the interesting read, if you can handle it.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #782 on: November 14, 2010, 08:30:31 PM
I bought the 1st Graphic Novel cause it was 25% off at my Comic Book store. But I actually don't want to read it cause I don't want to spoil the show!  8D

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #783 on: November 16, 2010, 07:08:56 AM
[spoiler=From Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #3]The Daxamites watching Sodam Yat via a hidden telescope in Mount Snhoj.[/spoiler]

I see what you did there, Tomasi...

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #784 on: November 16, 2010, 08:56:20 AM
I bought the 1st Graphic Novel cause it was 25% off at my Comic Book store. But I actually don't want to read it cause I don't want to spoil the show!  8D
Alrighty, your loss then :P

Finished all the issues that are out so far... man, they don't hold back. Always hooked me in for more though. I watched the show, and there's quite a few changes so far, but not in a bad way. It's clear that they didn't want it to be a carbon copy of the comic, and it's probably better that way.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #785 on: November 17, 2010, 04:36:56 AM
Alrighty, your loss then :P

Finished all the issues that are out so far... man, they don't hold back. Always hooked me in for more though. I watched the show, and there's quite a few changes so far, but not in a bad way. It's clear that they didn't want it to be a carbon copy of the comic, and it's probably better that way.

Well there's not that many episodes left, I think. LoL, I can hold out! XD

Posted on: November 16, 2010, 03:00:14 AM
This was actually brought up on an ATOP THE 4th WALL discussion board, discussing whether or not Clark Kent was "Superman's mask" so to speak. You've probably heard it before about how Clark Kent is Superman's secret identity, about how he acts clumsy and such as his disguise, and that Clark Kent is "Superman's interpretation on the whole human race" as said by Bill in the Kill Bill movies. Keep in mind that this is essentially all just interpretation on a fictional character, but I'd just like to tell you what the character overall represents to me.

For starters, I'll quote Superman: TAS in which Clark Kent was killed in which he tells Ma & Pa Kent "But I am Clark. I need to be Clark. I'd go crazy if I had to be Superman all the time." Why I'm such a fan of the animated series stem from lines like this. Lines like this is what, to me, make Superman special. This is what separates Clark Kent from characters like Bruce Wayne, IMO. Clark Kent is Superman, but Batman is Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne is Batman's mask. Bruce stopped being Bruce when he began his mission. Batman is the mission. However, Clark Kent is not like that.

He has been written differently throughout the years, much as any comic book character has been. Pre-Crisis, Superman had the power to move planets. Back in the day, he really was just the whole "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" speech. Obviously the whole "American Way" thing can be taken or thrown out of context, as it has been in American history pretty much forever. This is why most writers focus more on the "Truth & Justice" part of that iconic phrase. However, this is not what makes the character truly special, in my eyes.

Overall, after everything is said and done about Superman or Clark Kent, throughout the history of the character, there is one overlying factor that makes the character of Clark Kent one of the greatest written characters ever (at times) and what, to me, is the true message of Superman, and that message is about good parenting. I've always believed that one's personality & character are based upon the experiences they've had through life, with both family and friends. To me, Clark Kent is the epitome of why I truly, truly, TRULY believe good parenting to be so important in a child's life. Superman is the extension of the kindness and love of both his parents, from his biological parents, Jor-El & Lara for saving him from Krypton's destruction, to his adopted ones, Jonathan & Martha Kent, who raised him to be the man he is today.

Because of how the Kent's raised Clark is why Superman exists. This is why Clark Kent is not and never will be the mask. Superman has no mask. The reason he doesn't wear one is because he is a symbol of hope, a symbol that any man can do great things and help out their fellow man to the best of their ability, a symbol of what all people should strive to do, with or without powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. That, to me, is what the S on his chest truly represents, which is why Martha Kent sowed it onto his chest. Superman is how the Kent's raised Clark to be, and I think if more parents did that, the world would be a much better place.

This is why, despite my not really liking the Superman movies as movies, I absolutely loved Christopher Reeves as Superman, because he really did portray Superman as an overall nice guy, saying "so long" and waving goodbye to people. One thing I actually did love about the earlier episodes of Smallville is the fact that they captured the whole idea of parenting very well, with both Clark Kent & Lex Luthor, and how both characters developed because of it. Like I said, Superman is just a fictional character, and he can be interpreted in many different ways, and he will be continued to be written differently, just like in the recently released graphic novel Superman: Earth One. However, above everything else, I really just believe that the message of Superman is how good, honest, decent parenting can not only make a difference in one child's life, but many lives around that child as well.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #786 on: November 17, 2010, 04:52:49 AM
To supplement your comment about parenting, I think that Animated movies like the Doomsday one represent that well. While the comic had multiple Superman clones, the movie has just one. Just one cloned Superman made by Lex, with as much data on him as he could acquire. However, there was no Clark to that Superman. There was no parenting, he was never raised, and he does not have ANY of Clark's memories, and as such, instead of becoming like Superman, he strays, and instead becomes a tyrant. He has no second thoughts about killing, and does so freely within his idea of justice, and believes he is doing what needs to be done. Not to mention the only raising he gets is from lex, who is pretty mad himself, Cloning Superman and actually being upset that Superman died and HE wasnt the one to finish him. he actually pummels the clone in place of Superman, for "leaving him".

Now, to Bizzaro- as a side note- the brief moments we saw him as Superman in the series, he seemed like regular ol supes. but he becomes Bizzaro almost right away, so we never really see how he would have ended up as an actual Superman. Though for the most part, in the original series, his heart does seem to be in the right place- Just he doesnt quite have the brains to accompany it.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #787 on: November 18, 2010, 12:03:47 AM
Bizarro is Supes' twisted clone. His portrayal in the Animated series was excellent, but he can sometimes be written really annoyingly. He's not so much a villain, but he's dangerous cause he's just as powerful as Superman, but like a child.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #788 on: November 18, 2010, 03:41:31 AM
Actually, that's probably it- While a clone of Superman such as the Doomsday one went bad because of not having a Clark to be his conscience, Bizzaro constantly remains like you said, not so much a villain, because mentally, he is like a child.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #789 on: November 20, 2010, 05:23:27 PM
Is that why Luthor cannot successfully beat supes with clones? That actually makes a lot of sense, if I never had parents who raised me and teach me valuable life lessons I would never be the person that I am right now.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #790 on: December 04, 2010, 08:04:01 PM
I've been looking at this comic book called body bags and I really like the art so far

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #791 on: December 04, 2010, 10:21:55 PM
Haha, interesting look! XD

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #792 on: December 06, 2010, 05:32:16 AM
The latest Green Lantern issue has brought up an interesting notion...

[spoiler=Lek takak nok]If the Indigo ring controls the bearer's emotions, what were the members of the Indigo Tribe before they were chosen?  Could Indigo-1 have been a criminal and the Indigo ring was created to be a control/community service/probation mechanism of sorts?  Could this have been Abin Sur's idea, to pull selected prisoners from the ScienCells and redeem them with that ring?[/spoiler]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #793 on: December 21, 2010, 02:42:58 AM
Hey, Quickie or PB- Since you two are the real big comic buffs on RPM, Ive got the entire Blackest night. (all of it, GL, GLC, Batman, Superman, everything that was and tied in with Blackest night-) What would you guys recommend the reading order as? it's a headache trying to figure it out.

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #794 on: December 21, 2010, 05:04:49 AM
Hey, Quickie or PB- Since you two are the real big comic buffs on RPM, Ive got the entire Blackest night. (all of it, GL, GLC, Batman, Superman, everything that was and tied in with Blackest night-) What would you guys recommend the reading order as? it's a headache trying to figure it out.

I remember asking PB the same question when we went to pick up our comics. It's been awhile since I finished BN. If I remember correctly Batman and Superman can be read anytime. It doesn't really tie in to the main issues of BN. I don't remember liking them to much As for everything else I hope PB remembers, because it was something like an issue of Blackest Knight, Green Lantern, and Green Lantern Corps then repeat.

Now for some Marvel news, Squirrel  Girl is on the new Avengers. I am loving this.

This post has been approved by Marle!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #795 on: December 21, 2010, 05:14:51 AM
Browsing around online gives me different orders. So its like "Ehhh... Which one is best..?"

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #796 on: December 21, 2010, 05:18:46 AM
Browsing around online gives me different orders. So its like "Ehhh... Which one is best..?"
Don't get me started now that I am starting to remember it I think one month it was GL GLC then the next GL and GLC came out and I couldn't read them because BN still had not come out.

This post has been approved by Marle!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #797 on: December 21, 2010, 05:26:32 AM

The side stuff can pretty much be read at any time, but the three main books are Blackest Night, Green Lantern, and Green Lantern Corps. Like Lou said, it goes from book to book, in terms of reading BN first, then GL, then GLC. That should be the proper order.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #798 on: December 21, 2010, 05:31:21 AM
Personally, the only one I found worth my time was BL: Flash. Pity about Boomerang Jr. though.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #799 on: December 21, 2010, 06:24:04 AM
Ah ok. Thanks then PB