OnLive, remotely processed PC gaming

RMX · 1955

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:27:46 PM
I wonder what settings they're running at. Seems like it'd be pretty good value anyway, if it works like they claim.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 07:30:29 PM
I'll just quote myself from elsewhere.

Sounds interesting, but even though it's WB backing this, unless they have city-sized mainframe-powered datacenters, the moment it gets a few million people logged in is the moment its nose meets the wall. I'm not saying it'll be a complete failure, but I'm not exactly thrilled because of the backlash this could generate.

In other words, color me HIGHLY skeptical.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:48:41 PM

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:35:23 PM

Pretty much this and the "I like and prefer physical copies of my games" defenses are my opinion right now. Cloud gaming seems like the next true gaming evolution, but with [parasitic bomb] like bandwidth caps, non-standard bandwidth, & cost to constantly run & maintain this during these times, yeah, it just doesn't seem viable at the moment.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 01:26:52 AM
[...] but with [parasitic bomb] like bandwidth caps, non-standard bandwidth, & cost to constantly run & maintain this during these times, yeah, it just doesn't seem viable at the moment.
Allow me to tip my hat off to you for eloquently putting in plain terms the three main things that represent the three giant hurdles something like this must cover to be a successful service. Also, keep this in mind: even though it's a massive multinational like WB, the service sounds very nice while its userbase still remains within the thousands. Speak to me again when you got them in the millions, and let's see how well you fare.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 01:36:05 AM
Yeah, pretty much EVERY online service works awesome when it's only a select few testers using it.  Any of us who paid attention to Nintendo Wifi reviews should know that.  When the volume hits, that's when they're up the creek.

Still, it is awesome in concept.  So *IF* they can find a way to manage whatever massive volumes they attract, it'll be great.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 01:42:51 AM

This...

Pretty much this and the "I like and prefer physical copies of my games" defenses are my opinion right now. Cloud gaming seems like the next true gaming evolution, but with [parasitic bomb] like bandwidth caps, non-standard bandwidth, & cost to constantly run & maintain this during these times, yeah, it just doesn't seem viable at the moment.

and this.

Lets get results when there are millions of people playing, then we'll see if this truly works.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.